User Reviews for Methadone to treat Opiate Withdrawal

Also known as: Methadose, Methadone Diskets Methadose Sugar-Free

Methadone has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 215 ratings for the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal. 84% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 3% reported a negative effect.

Methadone Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Withdrawal.

Reviews for Methadone

stupid May 9, 2020

Methadose (methadone): “I was on methadone for 2 years after a 10 year addiction with heroin. I was up to 130mg I went down 2mg every 4 days it took almost a year but I am off of it now. However I do take xanax when I get "anxious" I think most of the desire is mental at this point not physical . But my counsellor tried everything to keep me on it even though I was doing fine. They didn't believe me I was observed every week with my urine test. I was never praised for my success only given that well I hope you know what your doing were here for you when you stuff up . That hurt I was so proud of my success but all I got from my counsellors is well be here when you mess up - that is no confidence at all. So I believe its just a money maker. They told me I would be back on dope well its been 2 years clean so I won”

Mike January 17, 2020

“Was on heroin on and off for 47 yrs, methadone for a total of , 5 yrs, 9 yrs, 13, yrs it is possible to get off , it depends on your determination, and meetings I go to, I have turned my life completely around. May 17 2018, first time in my life I've been clean off everything, it feels great, I'm 66 yrs old and healthier now than I've ever been, so anyone struggling with addiction, keep trying, it is possible, I'm living proof”

Felicia · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2020

“I was on 140 mg of methodone since 2003 the minute I started it kept me away from heroin, until now 2020 I’m on 2 mg and detoxing as we speak. I feel cold, back hurts and legs hurt and feel weak does anyone know how long it will take to feel normal? I’m doing it alone in my home and I’m determined to succeed nothing is stoping me”

Treeguy1349 October 19, 2019

“So I quit methadone cold turkey at 100 mgs because I felt I was ready and that my counsellor didn't understand this. Well you all know how this turned out I'm using again and heavier than before. I let the stigma of this medicine and my family not understanding it make my decision for me. Well screw that, it's my life and I need to help myself before I end up dead. So Tuesday I will be starting methadone again I know it will be rough with the initial low doses because of my heavy heroin use but I am determined and ready to use it correctly to keep me away from other opiates. If people look down on me or whatever that's their problem and I don't need them in my life.”

Jessica December 13, 2019

“I began being prescribed Percs. I was on 15mg 3xdaily. Then that Doctors office closed and I ended up buying heroin off the street. My husband also got addicted. We were broke and going downhill fast. One day as I was napping my husband came home from work with heroin. When I woke I found him dead on my bedrooms floor. I called for help but it was too late. This made me determined to get clean. I started methadone maintenance for the 3rd time. This time was different. I was on 180mg (high dose). I felt great and life was normal. I stayed on this does for 3 years. After I felt stable I began to tapper down 3 mg weekly. 3 months into this taper I got pregnant. I stopped my wean and stayed at that dose and had a healthy baby after his birth I continued. Some weeks I went down 2mg and others 4mg. It was a long process but it worked. Methadone saved my life. I'm clean, happy and healthy. Take your time, your life is worth it.”

Lisa · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

“In 1995 I was a hardcore heroin addict. I decided to get on Methadone. I never used pills or cocaine. Methadone saved my life. I have been clean now for about 17 years. I am still on the Methadone but I have accepted the fact that I may be on for the rest of my life. Methadone has afforded me the opportunity to have 16 years on my job, buying my home and have had a pretty decent life. I get 28 take homes and I can actually live my life. I thank GOD ”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2019

“I've been on Methadone for a year now.. I have a fast metabolism so I get dosed twice daily. People think the higher u go the harder it is to get off, well no not for me. I'm on 100mg in the morning and 70mg 8hrs later. It saved my life. Helped my anxiety and chronic pain. I decided to go cold turkey 15 days ago and I havent experienced any withdrawlas or side effects. I have a strong faith in God and if it weren't for him I don't think I could have done it.”

Jay June 25, 2019

“Methadone was very effective and I stopped using heroin and taking pills once I got on the program but I found it hard to get off because it became the biggest part of my lifestyle. Everything revolved around picking up my methadone. I felt anxious to travel too far from my clinic. It did get me out of the house though when I otherwise would have had zero motivation. 15 years after being on the methadone program I decided I wanted to be free of all addictions and quit smoking marijuana and cigarettes then tapered off my methadone dose over a 2 year period. It would have been sooner if I didn't fall pregnant. In my experience it was so easy to come off and I believe it was all due to God in my life. He made it easy on me. After 15 years on pretty high doses I expected some withdrawals but besides a bit of restless legs and some nightmares I had no other withdrawal. I now feel like I never even had past addictions.”

newby1961 January 7, 2009

“I am a firefighter/emt. I hurt my back on the job 8 years ago and became an addict. I never did drugs as a kid or an adult. That blue pill had me spending every dime I had because if not, I could not work or have a normal life. So many years in pain and addicted then I got methadone. Methadone saved my life and job, which helps me save lives.”

Twix September 29, 2019

“People can falsely say all the bad things they want about Methadone because when taken as the only medication in your arsenal for drug addiction it's a lifesaver! I can FINALLY after 14 years have a normal life. I can finally have a steady job & go to college. If I kept living the way I was, I'd either be dead or homeless. Methadone saved me literally. I did try to get clean many times and did even succeed and was clean for 3 years but I still had such bad anxiety and fatigue. My brain chemicals never went back to normal. I was screwed and started using opiates again. I couldn't work or live my life for the 3 years I was 100% clean. After I started using opiates again I knew I was screwed for life and I'd be dead or homeless one day. I finally went to a methadone clinic and it was the BEST choice I ever made. I been on it for 7 months now clean from everything else. It doesn't get me high but allows me to live again!! Please don't suffer forever like I almost did.”

Q April 4, 2021

“Do go onto methadone then taper off, it got me clean but if I had rehab or any kind of help I'd been clean 10 years ago. If you have to go onto it do then stop. You are not clean on methadone and the people who supply it to you , use it as a way of controlling you. Your brain chemicals may change after prolonged use but they change back. Get will power rewire your brain, I have used class A drugs every day of my life since I was a teen then methadone for nearly 20 years. I tapered myself off it is easy if you do it slowly and your way. You can do it. Exercise, change your whole life. If you want it you can. If not there is no shame in staying on methadone but you will never be free and it will always be used against you. I've never met a good cpn, Ive never met a nice nurse or doctors. I think they do not like you if you are on methadone, or I feel they think you are scum. Use this energy to get clean. I did and am now involved in the legalisation of all drugs and REAL help for people”

Magee · Taken for 10 years or more October 1, 2019

“I have been on methadone for 24 yrs. Was also on it, in 1980, was sober till 89. Bad accident. Dr gave me the dreaded dilaudid..after 4 yrs. I found a Dr who cared. He saved me, I broke up with my terrible spouse, who would not quit (died an addict in 2013). Got me clean, never took another opiate from 93 on. I am now at 12mls. Went down a few this summer. I will probably be on it for a long time for back pain. Its great. I am 63, sober, and happy. Its great. Keep up the good work”

Machinehead19 September 15, 2020

“I’m 50 years old now, I’m in MMT program now for close to 5 years now, the first two years I still used but not every day. I finally stopped using heroin now for a few years. I got my methadone dose right up to 110 mg, I’ve been doing a slow taper for the last 9 months down to 70 mgs now. I’m trying to stay positive and not worry how long it takes me to be 100% clean. If it took 2 or 3? more years, then so be it. Methadone saved my life no doubt. I would be lying if I said I didn’t love heroin, but no one can live successfully on dope, I tried it, it never works. Just being honest. God bless and stay positive! Stay busy! Idol hands are the devil’s playground. Music is my new addiction (playing killer guitar riffs)”

Leeci July 30, 2018

Methadone Diskets (methadone): “Methadone absolutely saved my life. I know 15 years is a long time to be on a medication but without it I would be without a doubt dead. I lost my best friend in the whole world to me to heroin as well as my husband I am now a mom I work a full-time job I go to work every day. I have my own home I might not have everything everyone would want but I have everything I need and so do my children. Without the methadone I would have nothing so this drug has done miracles for my life and anyone with opiate addiction that can’t seem to find another way out I highly highly recommend it!”

KLeib October 2, 2008

“I am a mother of 3 great kids and I was throwing my life away by being addicted to any pain pill I could get my hands on. Primary Oxy. I had a great job and spent most of my money on the drugs. My main concern was getting them daily. Someone one told me about Methadone and I knew that if I didn't do something I would be dead before I was 40years and my kids without a mom. I have been on Methadone for over a year and it literally saved my life. I now have a life, I am a mom again, and a wife and a great worker. I just recently received an award for the community I live and work in for making my community a better place to live, and received a promotion. Not to bad for an addict and if not for Methadone I would NOT be where I am.”

Opioid addict · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 6, 2019

“This medication helps the cravings, and many other symptoms and may as well be America's answer to the opioid problem, however the program is huge a disaster. You can follow all the rules, have negative urines and do everything you're supposed to and they still don't give you bottles, they don't sign off on your daily dose on time. I lost my job, and a lot of other things trying to follow their program rules. It's impossible to function as a normal citizen when you're being told that you can't even take your daily dose of 2 years because the Dr didn't put the order in correctly. Over and over again this type of thing happens. I've seen a lot of people leave the program in tears every week because not only are the requirements ridiculous but when you do follow the requirements and jump thru all their hoops it's never enough for them. It's about money not helping the people to live normally at all.”

k.c. September 22, 2008

“My choice of drug was heroin. I used for 2 years until I got busted and had to get off and wanting to get off. I started Methadone on 100mg a day and cut down very slowly, to 2 1/2 mg within a year. I think methadone is a good way to get off opiates but be prepared when you finally want to get off everything. Vitamins helped me get through the withdrawals after finally getting off methadone, be strong.”

Sue · Taken for 10 years or more May 9, 2019

Dolophine (methadone): “Methadone saved my life as I have addiction and pain. When first started on methadone I was at rock bottom of addiction. I also just survive being run over by a SUV vehicle. I broke both hips and shattered my pelvis. I was in the hospital for 6 months. With the year of opiate before the accident no pain medication would subside the pain. Now I have 9 years clean and sober and I get a month of methadone at a time. I was suppose to never walk again or have kids, nowI chase after my 2 kids everyday. I thank God everyday”

Ivy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

Methadose (methadone): “I was on opiate pain medications for 15 years for degenerative disc disease. Because of insurance, my oxycodone 30mg, and fentanyl 50mcg patches were cut off. I panicked, what was I going to do for pain and withdrawal?!? Suboxone never worked for me in the past, it just made me sicker. HOWEVER!! I found methadone (methadose is the liquid concentrate solution of methadone). It has literally changed my entire perception of pain meds. It controls my pain, keeps me from being sick, AND! it makes me not crave other opiates. I have more energy now than before and consider this drug a miracle.”

nikki s · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 5, 2018

“I was addicted to heroin for almost 5 years. Nothing helped until I got on methadone. I tried everything....rehabs, intensive out patient, suboxone (more than once). Methadone saved my life. It took away cravings once I got on the right dose. It’s all about finding your correct dose. If it’s too low you may still have cravings. But also I will say I wasn’t trying to up my dose as high as I could to feel “high” I just wanted to stay as low as I could but still manage cravings. I was on methadone for 6 and a half years and my highest dose was 90mg. I have been off the methadone now for 6 months. I did a slow taper and felt very little WD symptoms. I jumped off at 2mg.”

DRMGIRL August 1, 2008

“I was very afraid to try methadone to detox from opiates at first but thank God I went ahead and did. I love waking up, taking a dose, and spending the rest of my day doing positive things. No more cravings for oxy's, spending every penny I had looking all day for yet another pill. I feel like there is hope now. If you are living the life of a pill addict, methadone may be for you to.”

feelingbetterthanever July 5, 2015

“Go for the methadone. I've been an opiate addict for 10 years. I've been on methadone for two months now and I feel better than I ever have. I get my dose early in the morning and it keeps me well all day. I hardly ever think about getting high anymore. It's a better life. It works. It will take a week or two to find your appropriate dose but when you do you will feel so much better. I go to work and take care of my family. My love life with my life is better than ever. I can play with my son outside. It's great. If there's hope for me, there's hope for you too, my friend.”

Chuck p · Taken for 10 years or more April 1, 2019

“I was a heavy opiate and heroin user from my teenage years until my 30's. After trying many inpatient and outpatient programs I still couldn't stop using heroin. It got to the point my veins were useless and I was wasting dope trying to put it in myself so I tried the methadone program. At first I was still using heroin with the methadone but after awhile I was able to let the heroin go. I now have been on 125 mg of methadone for 30 years. It has turned my life around. I started my own business. I raised a son and I'm able to save money instead of being broke all the time. I doubt I'll ever get off the methadone but that's ok. It hasn't caused me any physical or mental problems at all.”

redfire1369 August 7, 2013

Methadone Diskets (methadone): “I have been on methadone diskettes for heroin addiction for 12 years. Seems like a long time? Not really. This program has kept me from relapsing and enabled me to work and function without cravings or pain. If I have to stay on this program forever that's okay with me. I love having my life and family back.”

Stargazer · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

“I've been on methadone for 29 years. This is very important all narcotics especially methadone will lower a male's testosterone!! It took me about six years to figure this out, since then I've been on testosterone treatment. After being on it for only six years I had a bone density of someone 30 years older than me. God bless! And good luck!”

Learn more about Opiate Withdrawal