User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Methadone Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

"I was prescribed Methadone for arthritis 15 years ago (no insurance). I started with 10 mg. 4 times a day. It worked well with no problems. I did have problems with some brands giving me nightmares and terrible night sweats, but it did stop the pain. I recently lost my pcp and was forced to find a new Dr. It seems most Drs now will not take a new patient who is on Methadone, so I am trying to wean myself off before my first appointment. I have been working on this since Dec.2017. It has not been easy, I am now taking half of a 5 mg. every other day. It seems to be working pretty well. Don't be fooled by being on a low dose, the withdrawal is still very bad at times. Arms that wont stay still, legs that make you get out of bed at 2 or 3 am. I can't give up. I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer almost three years ago, even my oncologist wont give me methadone."

Suee (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2018

"I have been on this medication for 15 years, I started off taking percocet for 5 years and had to increase the medication to where I was taking almost 10 10mg percocets a day and that started not helping. My doctor asked if I wanted to try another med I told him yes. Well he gave Methadone 10mg tablets 4 times a day. It changed my life and took away a lot of the pain. Now I am not saying it took it all away but it made it to where I could live a productive life and go to work every day. In the 15 years I have been taken the methadone I only had a very small increase instead of 4 times a day I take it 5 times a day. For me it has been a life saver and I am thankful every day the doctor switch me to this medication. Had it not work so well for me I probably would be up to 40 percocets if not more a day. The methadone does not give you a high and for more no other effects other then to reduce my pain level about 80% and I am fine with that."

DJ (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2018

"I have been on methadone for chronic pain for over 13 years, eventually taking approximately between 50 to 60 milligrams per day. About one year ago, methadone was not relieving my pain as it had done before. My pain management doc would not increase the dose, nor did I want him to. In fact, he wanted the dose decreased. Methadone, seen by the pain management community here in one of the biggest cities in the US, is NOT a good pain management medication. If you want to change to a new pain management doc, they are unlikely to take you if you are on Methadone. I know; I have tried. I am now off of methadone as of 22 days. I have a new pain management doctor, highly respected, and not a "typical pain management doctor." I am sure that I will set up a true "firestorm" for those of you that find that methadone treats your chronic pain. It is an awful drug, IMO. It dulled my feelings, meaning I was never able to cry, etc."

Glassdogs (taken for 10 years or more) March 25, 2018

"My experience with methadone has been a life saving one! I am on 80 mg for chronic back pain, and have stayed at this dose for 3 years and have never had the need to go up on my dose which is an amazing thing about this med: once you find the right dose for your pain needs, you can stay there. I did experience some side effects,But for me its completely worth it because it provides amazing pain relief, and its not expensive. It's a very effective pain medication!"

E (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 3, 2018

"Methadone has been a lifesaver! I have been on oxycodone, OxyContin, opana, MS Contin and two years ago I was on 100mcg fentanyl patch every 2 days. I still hurt constantly and could hardly get around so my rheumatologist decided to try me on methadone and it is the best decision I’ve ever made. I take 40 mg a day and have a life now. Also no side effects."

Denise February 25, 2018

"I have neuropathic pain and after trying other opioids without success, I found Methadone 10mg tablets to be very effective. Prior to commencing Methadone, I was extremely depressed at the thought of living with the constant pain. Methadone has been a God-send for my condition. My Pain Management Specialist slowly titrated my dose and eventually recommended that I take 50mg per day. I have now been on this dose for over 10 years and it has truly given me my life back. I returned to work as a nurse and have never looked back. In Australia, anyone on opioids long term, must have a permit, so regular reviews are required with your Pain Management Specialist. This inconvenience is minimal when one considers the benefits of living relatively pain-free."

Snags February 5, 2018

"I have suffered with severe back, hip and knee pain and methadone has been a great relief in all my pain without making me addicted to the point where I am counting medicine to see if I have enough because I took more than I was supposed to for pain like other drugs. I don't get any of the dizziness. Methadone has been great for my pain. This is for people who actually care about pain relief not getting high. If you take methadone to get high there is a very high chance of death. Only take as directed. This drug really can help with chronic pain and at the same time when a person off other drugs. America has a real opiate problem and methadone can help people get off all the other drugs and help with your pain in a low mg dose. I recommend this to the many people who struggle like I did."

Natinpain February 2, 2018

"I wrote the post below but did not have enough space to finish. I'm saddened that I cannot get a higher dose of methadone with the new limits. Addicts can get what they need but not pain patients. It's sweeping the country and doctors hands are being tied. I go a Hospital in Boston and a doctor lost his license for going above 30mg for one of his patients. I can't go to a methadone clinic because if they find out you are there for pain they will cut you off COLD a turkey and I don't think I could handle that with the amount of pain I am in. The methadone brings my pain down to a 5 which is great but I would love to get down to a 2 or 3. Has anyone experienced this with the new requirements? They will only prescribe opiates that are equivalent to 120 mg of morphine which is bogus. I'm thinking of writing letters to me senators and to other politicians because the pain patients are left to suffer.I could not get out of bed for 6 months because of the pain."

Piscesgirl137 January 31, 2018

"When it was first prescribed I'd have given it a 10/10. I've tried almost everything to manage my pain and nothing worked as well with as few side effects as methadone. I took it for years, gradually needing more and more. My doctors assured me it was safe and that it wouldn't be like other opioids. Methadone has ruined my life, even taking it exactly as prescribed. I'm currently withdrawing from it because I refuse to be addicted to it anymore, and its pure HELL. Worse than anything else I've ever come off of in my entire life. Don't use long-term. Please, do yourself a favor and get off now."

AimlessMe January 29, 2018

"I have major back problems, and 2 herniated disks in my back. They are rubbing against my spine, and I have been in so much pain for years. Between that, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Scoliosis, and nerve damage, I stay in a lot of pain. Methadone is the BEST medicine that I have ever taken for my pain. It has given me my life back! Methadone is sent straight from heaven. It allows me to be somewhat normal, by easing my pain enough to where I can stand it. And live day to day, without being in pure misery all the time. It truly is a wonderful medicine for people like myself, who truly need it!"

JKay_32 December 21, 2017

"I have some bad news for all of you that are sooo happy to be on methadone. Eventually you will be taken off of the drug and when that time comes you will fully understand what an awful medication methadone is to get off of. The withdrawal from it is 3-5 times worse than any other opiate you have ever been on. Imagine severe oxycodone withdrawal or hydromorphone, oxycontin, hydrocodone, opana withdrawal. Methadone withdrawal is absolutely horrid and you will regret ever putting it in your body. The truth hurts and most don't want to hear it but its something the docs don't tell you. Goodluck!!!"

Col. Davis (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 20, 2017

"I think for me that this drug as a pain killer has been a great as I was taking morphine in high doses for yrs. I am 59yrs young and work an average of 55 hrs a week and my work knows of my medication. I have just learned that I need to find a new doctor. They say that I'm an addict now and need to go on the medication as a drug addict. The treatment allowed to you at those clinics is FAR less than if a doctor treats you. I have NEVER had bad pee tests and do not drink or do ANY other drugs including alchohol. Any information would be MORE than helpful. Thanks Very Much!"

mikeymike1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2017

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "Best decision I have ever made. Been on 40 mgs for about a week and a half and I already feel better, don't even want the other drugs I was doing, pretty much anything short of a needle. I have more energy and I am already starting to feel like myself again. Just my experience, I know everyone is different. I give 8 out of 10 effectiveness."

NicoleR (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2017

Methadose (methadone): "When I was seeing a doctor I would get 30 mg in the morning 30 mg in the afternoon and if I needed it 30 mg at night between those times I took 30 mg of instant release morphine three times a day if needed. This was better than just the methadone .I had no pain at all with with the methadone and no morphine with it I would say 1 to 10 I give it a 7 or 6 and that's the diskets I found that the liquid did not hold me as long and within 8 hours I was back in pain at least my pain is tolerable now"

Terrie keys (taken for 10 years or more) November 18, 2017

"Hi, I have been on Methadone for 10+ years and it literally cured my depression !! It used to work great on pain but I have found it does nothing for the nerve pain down the lateral left thigh and into calf . It’s not touching the pain and I’m on 100 mg . Have even taken more since this flared up . So all in All it saved my life but after over 10 years it is no longer an adequate pain killer ."

Measone (taken for 10 years or more) November 11, 2017

"I take a few drugs for pain due to chronic pain. Valium, soma and medical Cannabis for spasm,s Lyrica for neuropathy and methadone for intractable pain. Methadone has been a godsend I currently take 140 mgs a day 50mg, 40mg and 50mg this was a slow titration from a starting dose of 20mg daily. If you don’t know methadone it can take up to 2 hrs to work and it builds in ur system so I implore all u newbies out there be careful. Methadone has given me my life back it doesn’t get into ur bones or rot ur teeth(it does lower testosterone so get blood work) it is however an SNRI and binds to the NMDA receptors essentially helping with depression if u stay under 100 it doesn’t kick other Opiates off the Mu receptors allowing things like oxy to be used for breakthrough pain"

Kaiser soze (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2017

"I have had 30 operations on my lower back and as a result I live in constant pain and after taking a vast array of pain killing drugs I was put on 20 mg methadone daily 18 years ago I am now on 60 mg daily and I find it an excellent pain reliever and would recommended it to anyone that is having problems looking for a decent pain medication"

Hitchie77 (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2017

"This Drug has helped my pain in so many ways .... I would recommend it to anyone who is in severe pain to be honest"

Paigekittysnoodle (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

"I have to say...the best thing for me. I've been on most kinds of pain medication, because of back surgery and methadone has saved my life. I take 80 mg a day. The government is making it harder to get, the pharmacy doesn't want to fill large amounts. I don't get high on the drug, but it helps tremendously with chronic pain. I am 68 years old and a liver transplant recipient. Been on it for 6 years. Constipation isn't a problem for me, it may have been at first, but my body has adjusted. Much better, then morphine, diladid or oxycontin. And cheaper by far."

Florida125 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2017

Dolophine (methadone): "I've been on 60 mg/day for the last 17 years after I developed multiple neuropathy issues in my extremities after chemotherapy treatment. I've tried EVERYTHING else on the market that I can legally try. Methadone is the ONLY thing that works and doesn't get me high as a kite or knock me out. I will warn anyone that this medication is Very dangerous as far as CNS depression goes for the first two weeks of use. I was nodding off all over the place! The great thing is that this goes away after the first few weeks. After the initial period, I have noticed very few side effects. The ones that I have are the usual constipation that all narcotics produce. This medication will lower testosterone levels after long term use. (Longer than a year.)"

Adam1234567 July 3, 2017

"I have been prescribed Methadone on and off for about 18 years. I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia, degenerate disc disease, TMJ, and presently hammertoe and a bone spur on my foot. This medicine was first prescribed due to inability to afford Oxycotin. This medicine was first prescribed at a 40 mgs dose. I found this medicine to work better than the previous medication. Years later, I went to another pain clinic and they prescribed it at 20 mgs. It has worked great for 3 years. It is time for an increase. The only thing I don't like is the stigma of being a medicine for drug addicts. I have chronic pain, I don't consider myself to be a drug addict."

austin7415 (taken for 10 years or more) June 30, 2017

"Switched to Metadol {methadone hcl} from a rotation of morphine contin & hydromorph contin. The transition was without any complications or side effects. From 100mg of morphine twice daily {or 3x18mg hydromorph daily} ...to 4x10mg daily of Metadol {methadone hcl}. Almost a year has past & no worries! With 1 to 2 gms of medicinal cannabis & 40mg of Metadol daily, all of my pain and other side problems are now in the past. No side effects except lethargy {a lot of time in bed but not having quality sleep; I suspect a lack of REM sleep}. I'm attending a chronic pain clinic. I'm 65 years old with lots of youth experimentation with most rec. drugs. With acceptance from the authorities, the Metadol cost is covered."

Medewin June 18, 2017

"Ive been using methadone to help manage my severe chronic pain. I take 80mg over the course of 12 hrs. I have seen posts about methadone and it appears that this medication some-what blocks out effects of other opiods. This is confusing to me, reason being that I am also given 15mg oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. So my question would be, why would my pain doc prescribe that to work in conjunction with the methadone?."

Benjamin P1225 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "I've had chronic pain due to a Whipple Procedure/Surgery. I had basically half of my digestive system removed. 60% of stomach & Pancreas. Removed Gall bladder. 5 other surgeries done since 1996. Removed around 11-12 feet small intestine all together. 2 feet large intestine. Serious chronic pain. I've been in the very best pain clinics in Boston, Ma. Lucky that I was there or I wouldn't have survived. This medication is in my opinion the very best if taken correctly. Take at the same time. It works well long term. I would love for someone to read this and take the plunge. Instead of me having to suffer around 12 years. My quality of life is an experience that I was convinced I would never have. You must have the correct Doctor. You WILL B Happy"

Quick Cement. June 7, 2017

"For 10+ years I've been on many different pain medications and still had severe pain to where I could not function on a daily basis, it was horrible. Finally after a year of different new meds and my prescription costs of $400 for a 30 day supply for one tablet a day! Insurance wouldn't pay and I certainly couldn't afford it, and my insurance still refuses to pay for any chronic pain medication. My pain doc talked to insurance and said they would pay for Methadone but nothing else! I was leary at first about going on methadone but let me tell you I'm so very happy I did, I take 10 mg 3 times a day and I finally have a life I can manage unlike before! I say it's my miracle medicine because I am able to to things instead of being bed ridden!"

Tjanlancesgramma (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017