User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Methadone.

Methadone Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Methadone to treat Chronic Pain

Methadose (methadone): "When I was seeing a doctor I would get 30 mg in the morning 30 mg in the afternoon and if I needed it 30 mg at night between those times I took 30 mg of instant release morphine three times a day if needed. This was better than just the methadone .I had no pain at all with with the methadone and no morphine with it I would say 1 to 10 I give it a 7 or 6 and that's the diskets I found that the liquid did not hold me as long and within 8 hours I was back in pain at least my pain is tolerable now"

Terrie keys (taken for 10 years or more) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I have been on Methadone for 10+ years and it literally cured my depression !! It used to work great on pain but I have found it does nothing for the nerve pain down the lateral left thigh and into calf . It’s not touching the pain and I’m on 100 mg . Have even taken more since this flared up . So all in All it saved my life but after over 10 years it is no longer an adequate pain killer ."

Measone (taken for 10 years or more) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take a few drugs for pain due to chronic pain. Valium, soma and medical Cannabis for spasm,s Lyrica for neuropathy and methadone for intractable pain. Methadone has been a godsend I currently take 140 mgs a day 50mg, 40mg and 50mg this was a slow titration from a starting dose of 20mg daily. If you don’t know methadone it can take up to 2 hrs to work and it builds in ur system so I implore all u newbies out there be careful. Methadone has given me my life back it doesn’t get into ur bones or rot ur teeth(it does lower testosterone so get blood work) it is however an SNRI and binds to the NMDA receptors essentially helping with depression if u stay under 100 it doesn’t kick other Opiates off the Mu receptors allowing things like oxy to be used for breakthrough pain"

Kaiser soze (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had 30 operations on my lower back and as a result I live in constant pain and after taking a vast array of pain killing drugs I was put on 20 mg methadone daily 18 years ago I am now on 60 mg daily and I find it an excellent pain reliever and would recommended it to anyone that is having problems looking for a decent pain medication"

Hitchie77 (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This Drug has helped my pain in so many ways .... I would recommend it to anyone who is in severe pain to be honest"

Paigekittysnoodle (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say...the best thing for me. I've been on most kinds of pain medication, because of back surgery and methadone has saved my life. I take 80 mg a day. The government is making it harder to get, the pharmacy doesn't want to fill large amounts. I don't get high on the drug, but it helps tremendously with chronic pain. I am 68 years old and a liver transplant recipient. Been on it for 6 years. Constipation isn't a problem for me, it may have been at first, but my body has adjusted. Much better, then morphine, diladid or oxycontin. And cheaper by far."

Florida125 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dolophine (methadone): "I've been on 60 mg/day for the last 17 years after I developed multiple neuropathy issues in my extremities after chemotherapy treatment. I've tried EVERYTHING else on the market that I can legally try. Methadone is the ONLY thing that works and doesn't get me high as a kite or knock me out. I will warn anyone that this medication is Very dangerous as far as CNS depression goes for the first two weeks of use. I was nodding off all over the place! The great thing is that this goes away after the first few weeks. After the initial period, I have noticed very few side effects. The ones that I have are the usual constipation that all narcotics produce. This medication will lower testosterone levels after long term use. (Longer than a year.)"

Adam1234567 July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been prescribed Methadone on and off for about 18 years. I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia, degenerate disc disease, TMJ, and presently hammertoe and a bone spur on my foot. This medicine was first prescribed due to inability to afford Oxycotin. This medicine was first prescribed at a 40 mgs dose. I found this medicine to work better than the previous medication. Years later, I went to another pain clinic and they prescribed it at 20 mgs. It has worked great for 3 years. It is time for an increase. The only thing I don't like is the stigma of being a medicine for drug addicts. I have chronic pain, I don't consider myself to be a drug addict."

austin7415 (taken for 10 years or more) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Switched to Metadol {methadone hcl} from a rotation of morphine contin & hydromorph contin. The transition was without any complications or side effects. From 100mg of morphine twice daily {or 3x18mg hydromorph daily} ...to 4x10mg daily of Metadol {methadone hcl}. Almost a year has past & no worries! With 1 to 2 gms of medicinal cannabis & 40mg of Metadol daily, all of my pain and other side problems are now in the past. No side effects except lethargy {a lot of time in bed but not having quality sleep; I suspect a lack of REM sleep}. I'm attending a chronic pain clinic. I'm 65 years old with lots of youth experimentation with most rec. drugs. With acceptance from the authorities, the Metadol cost is covered."

Medewin June 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ive been using methadone to help manage my severe chronic pain. I take 80mg over the course of 12 hrs. I have seen posts about methadone and it appears that this medication some-what blocks out effects of other opiods. This is confusing to me, reason being that I am also given 15mg oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. So my question would be, why would my pain doc prescribe that to work in conjunction with the methadone?."

Benjamin P1225 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Methadone Diskets (methadone): "I've had chronic pain due to a Whipple Procedure/Surgery. I had basically half of my digestive system removed. 60% of stomach & Pancreas. Removed Gall bladder. 5 other surgeries done since 1996. Removed around 11-12 feet small intestine all together. 2 feet large intestine. Serious chronic pain. I've been in the very best pain clinics in Boston, Ma. Lucky that I was there or I wouldn't have survived. This medication is in my opinion the very best if taken correctly. Take at the same time. It works well long term. I would love for someone to read this and take the plunge. Instead of me having to suffer around 12 years. My quality of life is an experience that I was convinced I would never have. You must have the correct Doctor. You WILL B Happy"

Quick Cement. June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For 10+ years I've been on many different pain medications and still had severe pain to where I could not function on a daily basis, it was horrible. Finally after a year of different new meds and my prescription costs of $400 for a 30 day supply for one tablet a day! Insurance wouldn't pay and I certainly couldn't afford it, and my insurance still refuses to pay for any chronic pain medication. My pain doc talked to insurance and said they would pay for Methadone but nothing else! I was leary at first about going on methadone but let me tell you I'm so very happy I did, I take 10 mg 3 times a day and I finally have a life I can manage unlike before! I say it's my miracle medicine because I am able to to things instead of being bed ridden!"

Tjanlancesgramma (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered the effects of MS for 9 years that causes constant head pain, back pain, nausea or vomiting, difficulties walking and decreased activity and depression due to my symptoms. My pain doctor put me on methadone 7 years ago and I felt the pain decrease for the first time in years. Now he has me on Burtran patches which has awful side effects and I want my life back. So I'm going back to get the methadone back. Make sure your doctor gives you the smallest dose to start then increase until it helps. If you get 10 mg right away it can be fatal! Hope this helps anyone out there."

MSpainplus March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Extremely effective. But now a major inconvenience and expense as have to have a doctor visit monthly to obtain prescription"

Gamermama (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered chronic pain for years. Every opiate I took caused me to abuse them. Until I found methadone for my pain. I take 20-30 mg daily with meloxicam and eat very well and I am able to work, function and live life like a normal human being. I believe doctors don't like to write this medicine for pain because it is not as costly as the others and also they don't receive kickback from prescribing a 20 dollar a month medication. It costs 20 bucks for 120 pills and for perc 10s it cost 200- 300. Just sad how the government and some doctors will work."

Magdolania (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I Am 59. @ 19 years ago; I began to experience abdominal pain almost daily. I managed to live and work through it. I am a house painter so I was cut out of a "tougher"mold. Those of you who've worked w/your hands; know. But the pain got worse. 3 years of constant;sometimes suicidal pain I was found to have a rare blood disease.Chronic intractable pain. After swimming in prescribed opiates for a few years;my tolerance was through the roof & the pain remained. I needed the meds just to function & I always ran out too soon. I had to get off that crap! It was a war; but I survived & so did the pain.Square1.... Even worse b/c now I can't get anyone to write mess 4 me! But I needed them; so I became a 50yr old criminal; homeless, jails.."

BB10/4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently switched from 50 mcg of the Fentanyl patch ( changed every 72 hours) to Methadone 10mg. tablets 3times daily for chronic pain. I was allowed to keep my Percocet, 10/325 up to 5 a day, for breakthrough. I did not want to switch off the Fentanyl patches, but I was told that even if it worked and provided no side effects the CDC said that I don't have cancer. So I could take 50 migrans of Fentanyl with no break through meds or I could switch to Methadone. I have tried over 100 medications of all kinds and Fentanyl was the first to allow a life worth living. So far the Methadone has been amazing! The downsides are; extreme constipation, some wheezing, and some Thanksgiving weight. I follow up in 2 days. Keep your fingers crossed"

Angelier November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 50mg Methadone oral liquid for 4 years and it does nothing at all for pain... I was on Morphine sulfate 10mg for 3 years and was taking 30mg a day after 2 years.. My doctor died in a plane and I was taken off Morphine and suffered the worse 8 days of my life. No one can explain just how bad withdrawals can be unless you have been through them. Horrible.. I was placed on Methadone because I was coming off Morphine. This medication does nothing for pain I have lost testosterone I cant work I have to go to a drug store every day to dose. I have put on weight I feel like crap lazy and tired. I have come down to 35mg but the thought of the withdrawals worries you. Its a long sickness to get off this rubbish. Hate it bad"

peterredd (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I,m 61 yo Namn vet who was injured in combat,.I,m a pro musician whose put out 12 Lps and had to stop touring when I had a MC accident 16 years ago breaking my neck n back in several places. SInce then also 2 heart attacks 23 heart surgeries I had two major surgeries but both failed....I was miserable, couldn't strap on my guitar so my career was over. I been on disability for 16 years , luckily music was good to me so money is no worry.Ihad many doctors who tried to make me a customer vs a patient. The key to ALL pain management is to make life tolerable! I left those docs n got one who knew his craft, I take 10 mg of methadone n have 15 mg MSIR for breakthrough. I!m NEVER pain free but I can play again DONT dig a hole u can't get out of !"

NYC Bluesman (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I spent years on pain Meds and found my self always in the same cycle after a while I would need a dose in crease becuse it wasn't working anymore. I have 5 small children 3 of which are 12 month Triplets that my husband and I conceived naturally and completely unexpected. I couldn't drive the kids to their school or go to the grocery store without constant fear that if I were ever in an accident while on the pain Meds I would never forgive my self and be in a lot of legal trouble. I switched to methadone for pain almost 3 years ago. You never need a dose increase and you can drive on it. I find that taking my methadone in the am and not having to worry about any thing else for pain all day is really amazing considering I have my hands fu"

Gretchenj2432 September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very helpful at low dose"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a great medication for chronic pain, but please give it time to work. The first couple of weeks it gave me insane headaches and mild nausea, forcing my pain mgmt doctor to give me Fioricet for the headaches. However after about a full month on methadone the headaches subsided with using the Fioricet and the pain relief is amazing. I was using OxyContin 30mg twice a day and Oxycodone IR 20mg three times a day as needed for breakthrough pain. When I began seeing my new pain doctor (insurance purposes) she really pushed the methadone on me hard so I gave in. Huge difference!!! She wrote me Methadone10mg every 6 hrs as needed and it lasts longer than the Oxy which only lasted 3-4 hrs at most, but be careful the methadone is WAY stronger"

The_Shade_Room (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Methadone worked very well for my chronic pain especially the strange gnawing pain I had ALL OVER. I was on 30 mg of ocycodone for 5 years (DDD L5-S1 fibro, neuropathy, neck fusion) but I couldn't come to terms with the stigma and knew something was seriously wrong with my body. I ended up doing my own research and found out I was suffering from gout throughout my body. My PM Dr worked with me to get me off Methadone by prescribing me didulud ER..even with that I had hellish withdrawal symptoms! Took me a month and a half and was only on it for 2 and half months. Great med for pain though. Just make sure you're in it for long haul. Never felt those withdrawals and I weaned off oxy 30s with less pain."

51 and no fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 60 mil for 15 years. I live alone and have Fibromyalgia as well as spine and joint problems. The government just stepped in last month and went to taking Ultram and hydrocodone. I cant move my back. I cant walk more then to my car and back, 20 feet. I weigh 154 and eat organic and very careful with all medications. I will be seeing a new Dr next month and hope to go right back to where I was. It is truly a very good pain medicine to control pain all day and all night."

madness2 (taken for 10 years or more) July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Over half of my life has been spent in chronic pain. I had 2disks fused and a pinched nerve fixed 20yrs ago. I've had a pain pump and been put on everything you can imagine. I can promise you guys something,nothing is good as methadone to help pain,imo. I've been on it for 16yrs now.it is hard to get used to tho.you will get very drowsy in the beginning. I can tell you it's hard to perform a number 2 in the bathroom also. I would recommend stool softeners if you take methadone for that. I got caught in btwn dr.s once and the withdrawal is hellish.no joking on that. Ive seen heroin addicts say it was worse. I thank God and my dr. I get to take my lyrica and methadone for my pain."

T.n.t. (taken for 10 years or more) June 9, 2016