User Reviews for Methadone to treat Pain

Also known as: Methadose, Methadone Diskets Methadose Sugar-Free

Methadone has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 152 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 87% of those users who reviewed Methadone reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Methadone Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 1431 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Methadone

Bootsie · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 18, 2020

“So I just read where methadone is only administered in a clinic setting. I wonder why my aunt gets a prescription for it and takes it for pain? She's been abusing rx drugs for a very long time and she does use them to get high. I am astonished by how many people are on it for opiate misuse disorder and say they're sober, because you absolutely are not sober while on this drug.”

Brian Smith · Taken for 10 years or more November 13, 2019

Methadose (methadone): “I was referred to the methadone clinic 4 weeks after a brutal surgery because my attending doctor refused to give me a refill of percocet 10 mg. Instead he sent me there while my face, head and jaw was bolted together and wired shut for pain management, what I did not know was that I was walking into a death trap. They started me out on 40 mg. Which put me on a dose of pain medication higher than all pain medication and stronger than heroin and the worst part is you can't take it as needed you have to take it all at once so your body has no choice but to get used that dose and have to go up and now 12 years later and I still can't get off this drug. It is my worst nightmare and all the people at those clinics do is want you to go up and up it's the government supplying people with an addiction that you can't get rid of and they are making billions at other people's miseries and laughing to the bank.”

Guera · Taken for 10 years or more December 23, 2018

“I decided to stop taking methodone on my own it’s been eight days and I’m in so much pain I can’t even let any clothes touch my skin that’s how much it hurts is this normal?”

Anonymous June 11, 2008

Dolophine (methadone): “This has been the best pain medication I have found to relieve my back and neck pain. It has been the hardest to get prescribed. I do not understand why other then the stigma it has for the maintenance use for herion addicts. Unlike other pain medicines it does not get me high and it last more then a day and I can can get by on less then ten mg a day.”

Tet 1968 Larry · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2016

“After being discharged from the Army for a gun shot wound in 1969 in Vietnam the V.A. put me on every pain med. known to man because back then the V. A. only used Methadone for Heroin addiction no pain medication stopped my pain I was ready to put a gun to my head and pull the trigger A friend told me about a Doctor who percribed him Methadone for Pain so I decided to go to him He put me on 45mg of methadone a day after all these years I am now on 80mg. a day and NO more pain this Drug saved my life because I had already decided I was not going to live a life in Pain Methadone is the best for severe pain and a life saver ....”

babyr0525 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2012

“I have suffered from chronic pain for several years. I have a significant case of Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis, A bulging disc pressing against nerve's, alot of nerve damage, three bad discs in neck, Osteoarthritis in both knee's (possible surgery on both per MRI and Orthopaedic Surg.), and Fibromyalgia. Like many other's I have been on almost everything from Oxycontin, Oxycodone, MS Contin, Dilaudid, Opana Er, Nucynta, Fentanyl Patches, etc. My doctor mentioned Methadone a few times, and I declined. I finally said yes, and I'm so glad I did. I take 10 mg 3 times a day. I may ask if I can take it 4 times a day, and I think it will be great. ”

Tired of Pain!!! · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2015

“This is by far the best medicine for chronic back pain. These pain doctor's need to realize not everyone is a drug addict. All the other medication have serious side effects that they are substituting for narcotics. The only side effect is constipation, but they now have prescription medicine for this.”

calista313 March 7, 2008

“I find methadone very effective and comforting as use as a pain reliever. I have been on Morphine, percoset, vicoden etc, infact I grew an opiate addiction. I did not intend to shed my narcotics for a drug that is supposed to "not carry a high/ or euphoric effect" I was wanting to keep that feeling, yet still I was never really pain free. I could not function on a daily basis with the amount of pain I was in. My Dr. recently switched me to methadone, and I am so relieved. It is very effective.”

jkb721 March 5, 2008

“I broke my neck at cervical levels C-5,6,&7, in 1994;. I had tried everything (RX's)from codiene to fentynal patch to everything else associated with chronic pain and nerve damge. Morrphine made me sick ever so often , but when I started on a methadone pain RX program, I was relieved from many of the severe, chronic and constant pain syptoms. It has been an excellent pain relief prescription for my condition now since 1995. I hope that anyone who has severe, chronic and constant pain symptoms try it.”

Twilightdream71 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2012

“This medication has worked far better than any of the other medications that I have tried before, including Fentanyl, Percocet, and Morphine. I still have a lot of pain, so I do take another pain medicine between doses because it is necessary. Methadone controls my pain for longer periods than any of the other medications that I have been on. In my personal opinion, as long as this medicine is used as it is prescribed, it is very useful and the benefits are astounding.”

movieman · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2015

“In 1999 the doctor gave me Percocet for avascular necroses of the knees and also have a really bad disc (the lowest) on my back that is bad and sends pain down my leg. I also have rotator cuff issues. In 2014 I started needing more oxy so I went up to 120mg a day, and then at night the coming down from it was awful, with more pain than there actually was because withdrawal starts very soon after it wears off. I was switched to methadone 20mg a day (liquid 5mg 4x a day). It's a miracle. No psychological issues I am finally my happy self again and a 85% decrease in pain. Maybe if I went up to 30mg a day it would be 95%. but TAKE EXACTLY AS DIRECTED, I guess it can be very dangerous if you don't.”

TommyKnockerz · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2014

“I'm a paraplegic and was on pain meds for the first few years after my accident but I'd been off for many years. I'd been put back on pain meds, methadone, for joint pain, back and neck pain. While it has cut the pain you DO NOT WANT TO BE ON THIS unless you have no other option. The withdrawal is long, muscle spasms, thoughts of dying, cramps, night sweats, etc. It also caused fluid retention in my legs and abdomen while taking it along with MANY other side effects.”

aubie February 16, 2008

“I have been in chronic pain from a rare spinal muscular disorder for 11 years. For 6 years I took all kinds of pain relievers and still suffered greatly and almost to the point of losing my mind. Finally I was put on methadone and it has relieved my pain far better than anything else. But im afraid the FDA is going to stop usage of it for pain. My doctor told me that we needed to write our congressman and tell how much we really need it.”

CandyBear06 March 17, 2012

“I started methadone a few days ago and oh my gosh have I been amazed! I have felt better in the last few days more than I have in the last couple of years!! I have chronic pain and been on almost all the other opiates. I fell into the opiate addiction myself. I think methadone is a God send!! I would suggest methadone to anyone batttling chronic pain issues.”

Multiple Sclerosis Pain February 20, 2009

Methadose (methadone): “I have found the use of this medication actually life saving. Methadose (Methadone) has greatly improved my quality of life. The single factor that I dislike about this medication is all the very negative perception that people have of those who use Methadose. It seems that everyone thinks that I am a recovering junky.”

FrankWhite May 8, 2015

“Methadone is the only drug that helps my horrific lower back pain. I have been on everything from fentanyl patches to enough oxy to wipe out a small village. The methadone in combination with perk 5's is the best combination I have been on in the past 15 years. Thank you pain management doctors!”

Toni-a May 16, 2008

Methadone Diskets (methadone): “I was tried on numerous medications for my chronic pain. When I took my first dose of methadone, I was "nearly" pain free for half the day and the dose doesn't need to be increased as often as it did on other drugs such as Oxycontin. For break through pain I only need an anti-inflammatory or another mild narcotic such as Percocet, and only rarely. I think this is a great drug for pain!”

auntgnu February 25, 2008

“I've had chronic pain as a result of a coiling embolization in my brain.I was tried on so many different pain meds I thought about throwing in the towel...the cure was worse than the pain at times.Thankfully,my doctor suggested methadone.I've used this medication for over 5 yrs now with no complications other than having to increase it yearly to accomidate the tolerance effect.I also like it because it is inexpensive and doesn't leave me feeling high or goofy.”

Nopainz November 18, 2012

“I have severe recurring headaches which have plagued me since I suffered a head injury as a child. I tried almost everything under the sun to stop the pain and nothing seemed to work very well? Some of these medicines almost put me 6 feet under as well! I had a severe cardiac reaction to sumitriptan and the worst part was that triptans don't do anything for my headaches as far as relieving them. Some of the opiates I tried did work to varying degrees, but finally my doctor switched me over from Soma and 60mg codeine sulfate tabs, with 4mg Dilaudid tabs for breakthrough pain to 10 mg methadone, 2 tablets, 3 times daily coupled with 10mg cyclobenzaprine tablets (Flexerill) 3 times daily. It works quite well without any side effects to speak of.”

Epr73399 August 26, 2015

“Its a great drug for pain, I have been on every pain med out there and this as by far been the best, For you people who say "I took 2 tabs about 90 mins apart. Did not sleep a wink all night. I will discontinue taking this medicine. " And things like that. You need to give it more then a day or even a month to work itself into your system. Give it time.”

clay81 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2012

“I injured my back at a young age 18 and from then on the work I did caused it to just get worse. I now have two ruptured discs two bulging discs and degenerative disc disorder in my lower back. I'm now 30 years old I tried other medicines that only last 2-3 hours and I would have to take at least 3-4 at a time, which is pointless. I've been on methadone for a little over 2 years now and I take 20 mg twice a day and 2 x 10 mg Lortab for breakthrough pain mostly for my neck. Methadone is a wonderful medication with great benefits. ”

Tommy 23 November 18, 2015

“I have been on methadone for 9 years for chronic pain. I have crohns disease, chronic pancreatitis, diabetes and 3 blown discs in my back. I have had over a dozen surgeries including a Whipple procedure, bowel resections, back surgeries etc.I was on so much fentanyl and dilapidated that most of the time I didn't know if I was coming or going, I was a mess. Methadone gave me my life back. No feeling high or confused.I can actually function. A great medicine for chronic pain. I now take 40mg 3x a day,down from 60 3x a day. I take no other pain meds.”

Jonathan624 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 6, 2015

“Suffered a serious and painful injury during physical activity, which has left me bedridden for several months. I use Methadone along with quick-acting pain killers (Oxycodone) and my pain is now nearly nonexistant.”

Dr Rick March 25, 2017

“Methadone can be very useful for some types of chronic pain. For those who need larger doses of narcotics, methadone does not cause tolerance like morphine or oxycodone so you do not have to keep raising the dose to keep your pain in control. It does take time to kick in so be patient. Oxys or MS can be given to help till Methadone kicks in. Any narcotic can have side effects like constipation. A good doc will help you PREVENT such problems. As for comments that kick backs and conspiring with drug companies, we are under intense monitoring as some people sell the drugs to others or overdose and die. We must see patients often to prevent problems like this. If not, we loose our license or get sued. It's called good medical care.”

Anonymous April 18, 2008

Methadose (methadone): “I had never heard of methadone used as pain medication before! But it works. My Doctor gave it to me because my HMO decided to take the pain medication (Fentanyl patches) out of there formulary. I had been on it for 4 years (150 mcg per 72 hours). Methadone has done well so far. ”

Life Saver, for Pain Condition · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2016

Dolophine (methadone): “This Medication gave me my life back , after being on most every type of other opioid medication and I mean everyONE. I have many minor/Major health problems related to chronic pain, neuropathy and arthritis, barely able to walk, within three months of intense Physical Therapy and 30mg Q12hrs (once morning , once before bed) , I have been able to work, walk with a limp but w/o a cane, no ups and downs like the Fentanyl Patches I had Rx'd for a year, Roxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone IR and ER, and many more opioids, that seemed to give the euphoria that of course most people would become either physicaly dependent or develop an addiction disorder which I suffered from both . After I spoke with my Dr. I was able to get on Methadone.”

Dezil36 July 3, 2016

“I have been on methadone for the last 5 years now and actually have a life beyond the usual opiate daze!I have a pretty high dose of 190 ml per day but have had a few times when I had blood clots that I needed something added to it for a few weeks, usually oxycodone, this helps but the beauty of it is I don't get the typical "high" one would get from it because of the methadone, but I do get the benefit of the pain management from it!Methadone saved my marriage and my life! I encourage anyone who has been on opioids and is having difficulty functioning their day to day life to give it a try.I know only certain Dr are aloud to prescribe this medication but there are always methadone clinics they're very knowledgeable about this! Good luck!”

Carolina Green eyes July 30, 2016

“I am now 66 and have used Methadone for 15 years and have been able to go down on the dosage from 30mg. mg. day to 5 or 10mg. Per day. If not abused it to me is a wonderful pain management for severe chronic pain”