User Reviews for Methadone (Page 2)

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Opiate Withdrawal 180 reviews 11 medications

8.9
Chronic Pain 100 reviews 113 medications

8.8
Pain 159 reviews 1123 medications

8.5
Summary of Methadone reviews 439 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Methadone

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been in and out of methadone treatment for the past 4 years but I can say it does work if you taper slowly and try not to go to high in dose. I have successfully taper from 80 mgs down to 2 mgs and was able to stop withdrawal free so tapering does work. The important thing is to not start using again when u get to lower doses because u will get high again and you will relapse at high doses methadone blocks other opiates so you wony get high and there is no point but as you get lower you will be able to get high so just don't use and you will be withdrawal free ."

Jtaylor1234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ive been drug sick since last Wednesday. The hospital did nothing for me and scoffed at me. The ER.doctor.was.such a jerk.i turned.down his offer of a.few Lorton. I quit this cold turkey through a fault of my own. I forgot to get an appointment and the pain management clinic doesnt even care. I spent an hour trying to do their piss test and the desk is 1 foot from the door. Nice attendants at the desk and a witch of an office manager. But there is one worse withdrawal cymbalta which I quit cold turkey and the only thing that saved me was dosesof Gaba suppliment."

Brett whatever November 5, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I rate it as a 10 because it saved me from certain death. But methadone is a double edged sword...and a very sharp one to try to balance on. I'd missed the end of my teens and all my 20's and 3/4's of my 30's using and jailing it was find an answer or die. I found methadone and never looked back. I stopped using heroin and I never...and I do mean never used again. I have been on a clinic since 1994. I've always had to foot my own bill, never has the state I live in helped me nor has a single insurance company. (even after parity and obamacare) Got to tell you paying for a clinic and full health coverage just about ruined me, now, rather than assist me with my medicine they'd rather provide me with free medical coverage rather than help.."

Fleet420 (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "If you're honest with yourself and don't go past 100mg and dont stay on for more than 5 years it can be a good idea it saved my life"

Never-ending October 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ive been on Methadone for over ten years and currently,I am trying to get off of this drug. Ive been decreasing my does 2 mgs per month for over a year. I am at 3 mgs and really starting to feel the withdraw.I don't plan to get my next 30 doses.because its almost rediculous how little it does for me. I have 3 does doses of 3 mg and Im terrified. Can anyone give me some truthful encouragement?....."

Swtmiller (taken for 10 years or more) October 18, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "All right people, let's get a few items out of the way to begin. NO, methadone does not "rot your bones" or your teeth. Not taking care of your teeth and being nutrient deficient WILL rot your bones and teeth. Brush your teeth 2x or 3x a day, floss, use mouthwash and take bone health supporting vitamins and nutrients and that will help keep your skeletal system in good nick. YES, methadone has an unusually long withdrawal period. why? because it's half-life is very long when compared to other opiates; up to 60 hours versus some opiates with half-lifes of 6 to 8 hours. of course the withdrawal period is going to be more pronounced and prolonged - it's basic chemistry and biology here, people. methadone, put simply, WORKS."

MethaDoneRightAndItWorks (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am currently about 6 months into my Methadone treatment, before methadone I was using heroin at an extreme amount. Now I am on 165ML of methadone a day from the clinic up the road. It has saved my life, I know that there are side effects just like that come with all medications. But where I am right now in my life I would not be alive if it were not for methadone and the treatment that I received from the people around here at the clinic. I recommend methadone for anyone out there struggling with opiate dependence and wanting to turn their life around for the better. It is true just like they say when I was using dope, the dope was in the drivers seat, now that I am on methadone, I am back in the drivers seat!"

Nate5040 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I,m 61 yo Namn vet who was injured in combat,.I,m a pro musician whose put out 12 Lps and had to stop touring when I had a MC accident 16 years ago breaking my neck n back in several places. SInce then also 2 heart attacks 23 heart surgeries I had two major surgeries but both failed....I was miserable, couldn't strap on my guitar so my career was over. I been on disability for 16 years , luckily music was good to me so money is no worry.Ihad many doctors who tried to make me a customer vs a patient. The key to ALL pain management is to make life tolerable! I left those docs n got one who knew his craft, I take 10 mg of methadone n have 15 mg MSIR for breakthrough. I!m NEVER pain free but I can play again DONT dig a hole u can't get out of !"

NYC Bluesman (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I spent years on pain Meds and found my self always in the same cycle after a while I would need a dose in crease becuse it wasn't working anymore. I have 5 small children 3 of which are 12 month Triplets that my husband and I conceived naturally and completely unexpected. I couldn't drive the kids to their school or go to the grocery store without constant fear that if I were ever in an accident while on the pain Meds I would never forgive my self and be in a lot of legal trouble. I switched to methadone for pain almost 3 years ago. You never need a dose increase and you can drive on it. I find that taking my methadone in the am and not having to worry about any thing else for pain all day is really amazing considering I have my hands fu"

Gretchenj2432 September 19, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I would be dead if not for methadone and the clinic. I will never forget the people there that helped me. I was dying they saved me from pills. I thank them every time I'm there."

Rick8335 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I made the mistake of taking methadone for 6+ years. It first was given to me for substance abuse, which kept me clean. 2yrs later I learned I was diagnosed with Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Neuropathy, and my teeth are breaking from lack of bone nutrition. So now I take it for pain. Methadone has caused my teeth to fall out. And doctors say methadone assisted in these diagnosis. I'm stuck on it now per doctors orders, if not the withdrawals could kill me since I also have high blood pressure. I recommend if anyone does get methadone to just use it for 3-6 months at no higher that 65-75mg. The higher you go the more tolerance your body makes. Please research the drug to see if your a good candidate for short/long term use."

BlueRose88 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "After being discharged from the Army for a gun shot wound in 1969 in Vietnam the V.A. put me on every pain med. known to man because back then the V. A. only used Methadone for Heroin addiction no pain medication stopped my pain I was ready to put a gun to my head and pull the trigger A friend told me about a Doctor who percribed him Methadone for Pain so I decided to go to him He put me on 45mg of methadone a day after all these years I am now on 80mg. a day and NO more pain this Drug saved my life because I had already decided I was not going to live a life in Pain Methadone is the best for severe pain and a life saver ...."

Tet 1968 Larry (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "It look me a very long time to kick the habit Iam currently on 90 ml as my dose witch is very high. I am thinking Iam ready to start coming down off of it so I can get back to my everyday life and not relying on this to make me not feel sick and to feel normal. But overall if it wasn't for Methadone I wouldn't be here today"

Opiate free guy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am on 150 mg of liquid methadone daily. And it has saved my life. Many say it's trading one drug for another but that's BS. If your an addict and are seeking MAT help. Methadone works!!!!"

Nate S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "Very helpful at low dose"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Been a methadone nurse for 10+ years and have seen the good and bad. The good is it has helped a number of people with pain. And those who use it for pain tend to use it like their other prescribed meds. The bad comes mostly from those who use it for substance abuse treatment. Methadone is NOT a treatment of substance abuse, but a tool to aid in the treatment of substance abuse. It does not cure withdrawal, it stops withdrawal symptoms when at a therapeutic level. You will experience withdrawal symptoms when methadone is tapered or discontinued. Those using methadone for substance abuse tend to treat methadone in similar ways as a street drug. I have seen people lick the inside and outside of cup when dosing. And camp out in front of clinic"

Meth Nurse July 31, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I was very skeptical when my lifelong dr retired, and my new doctor wanted to switch me from MS Contin to Methadone, for my LA pain med. I had never heard anything either way about methadone as far as pain, it is just associated with opiate detox, and replacement therapy, and I did not like the thought of being prescribed it. To my great surprise, the 10mg four times a day, worked miracles in my life, with very little, to no noticeable side effects. Really helped the pain, didn't make me feel doped up or itchy. He's since sent me to a pain specialist, I'm now on the "high powered" stuff e.g. Opana ER, doesn't really help much. On 40mgs TID. Don't know what the hype is over the Opana, doesn't work that great for me, and for relieving my pain"

Johnny C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I am now 66 and have used Methadone for 15 years and have been able to go down on the dosage from 30mg. mg. day to 5 or 10mg. Per day. If not abused it to me is a wonderful pain management for severe chronic pain"

Carolina Green eyes July 30, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Withdrawal from methadone will take AT LEAST a month. It is absolutely the WORST withdrawal EVER!!! It served a purpose be enabling me to get away from the daily search for pills and not getting sick/ I got my life back together. However, be advised the coming off the methadone is going to make you so very sick! Taper SLOWLY!! It's like being punished for a solid month. There are other options available and if I were you I would explore them. Do your research!"

sunshine714 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I can't give methadone a horrible review as it does have its place. When your bad off it can get your life back in order. I've been on and off twice. Each time over 2 years on @ around 130mg usually. While on it you can beat drug adiction, so it does save lives, BUT it comes at a cost. Its much more addictive than herion and I did a bundle per shot just not to feel sick (didn't get high) while off methadone in my past. Hard to believe but it's true. Getting off of it is much harder. Regular opiate withdraw lasts maybe 4 to 5 days. Methadone withdrawal can take weeks to feel normal again making most return to the clinic or start to use again to kill the sickness. Even getting off slowly doesn't make it easy."

LongTermExperience (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "This is a great medication for chronic pain, but please give it time to work. The first couple of weeks it gave me insane headaches and mild nausea, forcing my pain mgmt doctor to give me Fioricet for the headaches. However after about a full month on methadone the headaches subsided with using the Fioricet and the pain relief is amazing. I was using OxyContin 30mg twice a day and Oxycodone IR 20mg three times a day as needed for breakthrough pain. When I began seeing my new pain doctor (insurance purposes) she really pushed the methadone on me hard so I gave in. Huge difference!!! She wrote me Methadone10mg every 6 hrs as needed and it lasts longer than the Oxy which only lasted 3-4 hrs at most, but be careful the methadone is WAY stronger"

The_Shade_Room (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "Methadone worked very well for my chronic pain especially the strange gnawing pain I had ALL OVER. I was on 30 mg of ocycodone for 5 years (DDD L5-S1 fibro, neuropathy, neck fusion) but I couldn't come to terms with the stigma and knew something was seriously wrong with my body. I ended up doing my own research and found out I was suffering from gout throughout my body. My PM Dr worked with me to get me off Methadone by prescribing me didulud ER..even with that I had hellish withdrawal symptoms! Took me a month and a half and was only on it for 2 and half months. Great med for pain though. Just make sure you're in it for long haul. Never felt those withdrawals and I weaned off oxy 30s with less pain."

51 and no fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I have been on 60 mil for 15 years. I live alone and have Fibromyalgia as well as spine and joint problems. The government just stepped in last month and went to taking Ultram and hydrocodone. I cant move my back. I cant walk more then to my car and back, 20 feet. I weigh 154 and eat organic and very careful with all medications. I will be seeing a new Dr next month and hope to go right back to where I was. It is truly a very good pain medicine to control pain all day and all night."

madness2 (taken for 10 years or more) July 11, 2016

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I have been on methadone for the last 5 years now and actually have a life beyond the usual opiate daze!I have a pretty high dose of 190 ml per day but have had a few times when I had blood clots that I needed something added to it for a few weeks, usually oxycodone, this helps but the beauty of it is I don't get the typical "high" one would get from it because of the methadone, but I do get the benefit of the pain management from it!Methadone saved my marriage and my life! I encourage anyone who has been on opioids and is having difficulty functioning their day to day life to give it a try.I know only certain Dr are aloud to prescribe this medication but there are always methadone clinics they're very knowledgeable about this! Good luck!"

Dezil36 July 3, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone is most likely one of the longest lasting opiates. For this reason it builds in your system and is actually more addicting both physically and mentally than Heroin or any other known opiate. It can take months to get to your desired dose, but it also takes months to get off of, and the biggest challenge is going from 5mg to nothing. It also rots your teeth!"

Foxtrotz (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2016