User Reviews for Meloxicam to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Mobic, Anjeso, Vivlodex

Meloxicam has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 159 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 64% of those users who reviewed Meloxicam reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Meloxicam Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 183 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Meloxicam

Lady Di · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

Mobic (meloxicam): “Taking Mobic 7.5 mg once a day for OA. It is really helping the inflammation & pain. I had to take a Medrol dose pack first for the flare & it worked amazingly! Now on Mobic. It’s controlling my OA so far.”

Poodle · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2021

“So I've only been taking 7.5 mg once a day for 5 days, and I do feel a lot of relief in the pain in my hands, but not much in my ankles - which is the main issue for me. After reading all these reviews I'm hesitant to continue using it. I have had some stomach issues and have felt a bit "blue" but thought it was because the weather has been overcast and cold the past few days. I think I'm going to stop for a few days and see how I feel. I might just go back to Aleve, though that didn't help much.”

Peg · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

“I started taking 15mg Meloxicam few weeks ago and it helps, but it puts out sex drive out a little. Other than that, it is good. Prefer to take pain relievers with no side effects.”

Syd · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

“It works!!! Nothing else gave me 100% relief of the burning ache in low back. My doctor told me to start taking omeprazole otc when he gave me the prescription for meloxicam since it can be hard on your stomach. No side effects only tremendous pain relief. I take 7.5mg in the morning with breakfast and 7.5mg in evening with dinner. Absolute wonder drug. Wish it had been prescribed to me 2 years ago! It is better than epidural injections, better than prednisone, chiropractor, physical therapy, massages, cold gel packs, muscle relaxers, stretching, advil, tylenol, naproxen, hydrocodone; Meloxicam blew everything else I tried out of the water. I felt it helping within about 3 days and recommend taking with food and starting omeprazole.”

Punkincat · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 25, 2019

“I’ve been taking meloxicam for 4 years. Helped a little with foot pain but I’ve gained 45lbs and could not understand why since I hadn’t changed my eating habits. I’ve been telling doctors about this and they just suggested dieting. One even said just stop eating completely and take supplements like that’s so easy. Not ONCE did they mention weight gain as a side effect of this drug. Not to mention the cardiac and circulatory dangers. Plus internal bleeding that can occur. I’ve learned the hard way to just quit trusting doctors to tell you anything. Be your own health advocate and read everything thing you can find when you’re prescribed any drug.”

Ashleyjarrett · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

Mobic (meloxicam): “I have been taking Mobic for knee pain for 2 weeks. Within the first week I noticed fluid on my ankles and lower legs. Then three days ago I started getting itchy welts, on my breast, chest, stomach, arms and legs. They look very very similar to bed bug bites or flea bites and I know without a doubt I do not have ether one. Yes it did wonders for my knee pain I was able to go to the gym and stand for a long time with no problem. I've now stopped the med because I would rather deal with my knee pain than the side effects, as they are worse then the pain. I am looking to see how long it will take for the welts to stop and go away the itching is unbearable!!! I have taken Benadryl and using Cortizone cream I will be calling my doc in the morning. My over all opinion for this med is not to take it because of the side effects. I truly hope this helps someone that is having these side effects!”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

“I am 64 and in good health except for some major joint pain in my hips, knees, and ankles. Meloxicam is a miracle drug for me. I have been taking 15mg a day for several months and I am pain free and doing great. I have not had any of the side effects so far either!”

Fancy Feet · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

Mobic (meloxicam): “Severe osteoarthritis of left knee and I'm up on my feet a lot so the pain was unbearable. Was taking vicodin 4 x day, 2 aleve and had absolutely NO relief from pain. Started mobic 7.5 mg on Wed and by Sun I could walk/sleep and NO pain! So any surgery needed can now wait! No side effects as of now...but I plan on decreasing to every other day and definitely take it with a meal”

Haitch · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2020

Mobic (meloxicam): “I am 43 years old I have arthritis, lower back pain cause of facet joint at L5-S1 and scoliosis ,the pain started around 2 weeks ago but first time I felt this type of pain was 3 years ago all these years I was fine and suddenly 2 weeks ago it came back. Every morning I will wake up and have pain in my lower back and also feel pain as I turn sides in my sleep. My doctor prescribed Mobic 15 mg he told me to take it for 1 month. Yesterday I bought it and took it late before I went to sleep, I also ate something as they told me to take after my meal. I woke up in the morning and I was thinking where is the pain I have every morning? I was moving around thinking this is really weird, all day I haven’t had any pain so far I feel fantastic and I have only taken 1 tablet ,it is crazy but true.”

Arla · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 10, 2019

“I've been taking Meloxicam for about 5 years and it really helps me. I tried to stop taking it but my arthritis pain returned in about 4 days. My doctor monitors my blood work regularly to make sure I have no side effects.”

Straight shooter March 15, 2021

“Started taking Meloxicam June 2020 7.5mg daily. Felt immediate pain relief in my knees, my prescription ran out 3/8/2021 had a miserable week trying to walk. Called my Doctor and he prescribed 90 days and within 8 hrs my pain went away. I can walk daily 4 miles without much pain at all, looks like I’m on Meloxicam for life. I’m 62 and healthy.”

Ba · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“Started meloxicam Jan 07, 2020 felt relief real quick, can't remember minutes to hours, didn't realize hip and knee was feeling better. Don't take daily only taken six pills since Jan no side effects works for me. Still taking med when required”

Grand ole flag · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2019

“Well my experience has been so far so good. I can sit criss cross again. Doing all my exercises from therapy, and this is the real kicker. I'm losing weight like nobody's business. I am fitting clothes I haven't worn since my twenties and I am excited. I figure why not start eating healthier and walking more to help? I was over weight at first but I've lost 50lb and then some. So I'm just going to continue eating healthy and drinking water and seeing how much I can lose. The best medicine 2 for one deal!!!”

Crystal · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2021

Mobic (meloxicam): “About ten months ago, I began experiencing a lot of pain in my arms and joints, including my knees. Thinking that I had caught a virus (not Covid) I finally went to the Doctor who prescribed Mobic. I am in my 70's and have osteoarthritis in most joints. In fact, I had bi-lateral hip replacements, seven years ago due to OA, also both of my parents and grandmother suffered quite a lot from arthritis. My Mother told me that it 'moved around'. And, just when you think the pain is going, it hits another part of your body. Even my muscles were aching. Now, several months later, after taking just one box of Mobic, I am pretty much pain free. I hope it continues but I'll wait a few weeks to see. If not, I'll go back to the Doctor. I took just one 7.5mg tablet per day.”

Marianne from TN · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2016

Mobic (meloxicam): “I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and fingers foot and ankle. I was also diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal stress fracture. Apparently I had the stress fracture for at least a year but thought it was arthritis. I was prescribed 15 mg of mobic daily by a podiatrist for the stress fracture. Within 1 hour of taking it the pain was almost gone. I had been taking 600-1200 mg of ibuprofen on a bad day of flares, sometimes having to take naproxen instead Mobic allows me restful sleep but it does make me drowsy...I need 10 hours of sleep to recover. However I can take it every other day and it still works on both sharp and dull pain. This in the only NSAID that has worked this well for me and I have taken them all for the past 10 years”

Anonymous June 28, 2008

Mobic (meloxicam): “I have been using Mobic every other day for a week now, and my pain is almost diminished. My fingers don't hurt as bad, and I can make a full fist without hurting. The pain in my upper legs is gone, and I can move once again like I am 30. I am 63! The side effects worry me some, so that is why I do not take it every day.”

Kymdarl · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2016

Mobic (meloxicam): “I have arthritis in my neck from C4 to C6 plus severe TMJ. I suffered with constant pain in my neck and jaw joints during the past year. My doctor prescribed mobic and within 3 days the pain and swelling in my neck and jaws disappeared. It was almost like a miracle. Tried every over the counter anti inflammatory with no luck. I have had no stomach pain so far just welcomed relief. I can now work my entire shift with no pain.”

Fancy Pants · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2013

“Meloxicam worked fabulously for the osteoarthritis in my knees/elbow/and shoulder. I noticed that I kept gaining weight so easily even with cutting back on my diet. It was unusual as I can usually maintain or lose weight. I looked up the side effects since I couldn't pinpoint any other change and read that meloxicam CAN cause rapid weight gain. Since I cannot afford the extra weight with the bad knees, I am going to have to stop using it.”

manee · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2013

Mobic (meloxicam): “I am 33 years old and have had debilitating lower back pain for over 5 years. Some days I cannot walk. One week ago my Dr started me on Mobic and I can not believe the immediate relief. I have not had this little pain in years..I'm so excited. I'm very saddened to see the long term down falls. I'm so glad to have it though. Wish I had it years ago.”

Meloxicant October 20, 2019

“Only took meloxicam 4 times. At first I felt it may be working a bit. I think doc gave starter dose. I gained 2lbs. This morning woke up still in lots of pain in back as usual. I am not interested in gaining more weight and getting into stage I obesity again. The pain relief is not any better than OTC medicine. All in all I’ll muscle through my pain without this med. I don’t like the risk profile either internal bleeding - oh no big deal. Not! No thanks next.”

prplpssn18 May 14, 2013

Mobic (meloxicam): “I only have half the cartilage in both knees due to osteoarthritis and had taken 800mg of Advil 3 times a day for 10 years. I've been taking Mobic 15mg. for 2 years which provides very good pain relief with one pill a day. Sometimes I have pain in the evening for which I take 2 Tylenol. Mobic seems to be much easier on my stomach.”

Yoga Yogi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

“Taking Meloxicam (4 weeks now) for severe pain with hip arthritis. I had lost 65 pounds of fat by hiking 15 miles a week on steep trails at age 65-70. Then got osteoarthritis. My hip pain became intolerable and I could not sleep for 2 weeks. After 15 days with 7.5 mg Meloxicam, the pain improved about 80% and sleeping through the night. However, after 4 weeks, my BP rose from about 130/90 to 150/120. I’m reporting this to my doctor.”

Kaykay · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 18, 2019

“I have been taking Meloxicam for more than 9 years for knees, 4 herniated discs and a damaged coccyx. Tried all types of meds but no relief. Only time I stop taking them is when I have a surgical procedure and then I'm a cripple for a week until I start back on.”

David · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2019

“The 7.5 mg dose of meloxicam was ineffective, but the 15 mg dose reduces my chronic OA pain by 50%. I only take it 3 or 4 days per week when pain is worst. Only side effect so far has been mild indigestion.”

Queenladyj · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2017

Mobic (meloxicam): “Started taking this medication about two weeks ago. I gained weight and swelling in hand, legs, feet and ankles. Belly swollen too. I am stopping this medication immediately before something more serious happens. This happened before while on this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

“I was afraid to take it at first, due to lots of negative comments then I decided to start with half dose for a few days then switched to 15 mg. I am having it with food in order to avoid stomach issue and refused to take Omeprazole along with because I don't like using lots of drugs. So far it helped me with my trochanteric bursitis pain. Now I am on my 3rd week like any medicine it has it's own side effects but if you take care of your food then it's not that bad. Yes I feel a little drowsy as soon as I take it but after a while I'm fine...”

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

Mobic (meloxicam): “Was prescribed 15mg once a day. It helped to reduce pain a bit so now I can walk but still can't walk for the prolonged time (i.e. 15 mins or so). Unfortunately after 8 days of having it my stomach can't tolerate it anymore...”

Ty April 4, 2019

“Been taking this for awhile! I initially was taking OTC meds for the pain when I was 305lbs. I cut my weight down to 265lbs. Now that I’m taking meloxican, my weight has gone back up to 278lb. Same diet with changes here and there and changes in workout (losing weight steadily) BUT NOWWWWW 13lbs!!! In just a month!!!! I’ll take otc. I doubt it works, for me anyhow, STILL WAS IN PAIN”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis