User Reviews for Meloxicam

Also known as: Mobic, Vivlodex

Learn more about Meloxicam.

Meloxicam Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 240 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Meloxicam to treat Osteoarthritis

"I have Osteoarthritis in my fingers, thumbs and both shoulders from 40 years of factory work. I have been taking Meloxicam for 2 and a half years. Without it I don't think I could continue working. I take one 15 mg pill every morning and it gives me relief all day. I get minor pain in the evening but nothing I can't handle. I tried going off of Meloxicam due to reading about the risks of long term use but my pain came back with a vengeance. I tried Aleve twice a day instead. It didn't work as well for the pain and it was harder on my stomach. My Rheumatologist said I had to weigh the risk factors and side effects of long term use of Meloxicam with my quality of life so I am choosing Meloxicam because it works for me and it's inexpensive."

Mikki Scott (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2017

"Refilled my prescription two weeks ago after not taking the medication for a few months. It definitely helps with arthritis and back pain but this time I've gained 6lbs instantly. Didn't change anything in my diet and increased my exercise. Stomach boating is terrible. Be cautious when taking this medicine. Will be using this sparingly and only if needed."

Mama Bee January 14, 2017

"I took meloxicam for 6 days , couldn't sleep and gained 5 pounds. No more for me!"

Paw-Paw (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Mobic (meloxicam): "I too am in constant pain mobic worked wonders but stomach wouldn't tolerate it. My dr gave me 7.5 twice a day instead of 15 amazing results."

sabarto25 January 7, 2017

"Aleve worked much better at controlling pain."

DrRed November 2, 2016

"I was prescribed Mobic for c-3-4-5 herniated disc repair, plate screws and fusion post surgery meds. This was a horrible drug for me. I swelled face, hands and feet so much so I looked like a different person. water retention maximized! Then complicating matters is the weight gain! I gained 15 pounds in 2 months! I am a petite 110 lb woman. The added weight raised my blood pressure needed to see a cardiologist and rx meds to return me back where I started! I would NOT recommend this medication. Since then my pain is managed and monitored by rx pain meds not NSAIDs."

Macygirl08 October 5, 2016

"Took Meloxicam for 2 weeks. Helped with the pain, but noticed stomach swelling. Woke up one night with severe stomach cramps. Passed out in bathroom. Had to be taken to Hospital. Had stomach bleeding. Lost 2 pints of blood and had stomach ulcer. This drug is dangerous."

Wylddog September 30, 2016

"Works great as a substitute for Advil but just as worried about long-term effect."

Ally the Hoosier September 27, 2016

"I've been on Meloxicam twice. The first time was 15 mg. It helped the pain but I had a lot of problems with water retention and I gained 15 lbs. I went off the med because of the side effects. It took 2 months but I lost the 15 lbs. My new doctor put me back on it but at 7.5 mg. I am again going off it because of significant water retention and I have gained the 15 lbs back. To me, the swelling of my hands and feet from water retention and the weight gain are not worth the benefits for my arthritis. I'll stick with Aleve."

chocoholic1225 September 5, 2016

"Very effective in greatly reducing from spondylolithesis so far"

EdPsyDr August 14, 2016

"I was placed on 15mg/day of Meloxicam for inflammation of Soras mucle, related groin pain and instability of my SI joint. I only took it for a week but stopped because of the side effects; 5 lb weight gain, excessive hair loss, etc."

BP1204 August 12, 2016

"Not any observed difference in benefit between Meloxicam and Celebrex which I have taken for years. What I have noticed is MASSIVE HAIR LOSS. This happened to me when I was on Vioxx, another COX-2 inhibitor (before they took it off the market). Will be going back on Celebrex."

Midwife Barb August 11, 2016

"Taken this for 30 days and no difference with stiff hands. ALEVE did a better job. Back to the Doctor I guess."

Tradervic (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2016

"Bad news: causes water retention gastric problems and kidney stones in me"

Rany8 May 1, 2016

"75 yrs old and l thought that l had to learn to live with the constant ache and debilitating stiffness from osteoarthritis in neck, back, thumbs, knees and ankles. After all, there are many more people worse off. Mobic is a magic pill - only 7.5 mg once or 2xs a day and l have my life back. I can exercise, do household chores, and stand longer than 10 or 15 minutes to cook or do dishes."

born again (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Mobic (meloxicam): "I have arthritis in my neck from C4 to C6 plus severe TMJ. I suffered with constant pain in my neck and jaw joints during the past year. My doctor prescribed mobic and within 3 days the pain and swelling in my neck and jaws disappeared. It was almost like a miracle. Tried every over the counter anti inflammatory with no luck. I have had no stomach pain so far just welcomed relief. I can now work my entire shift with no pain."

Kymdarl (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

"I am experiencing side effect of diarrhea after 5 day. Still having pain Don't know if it's going to be worth all the diarrhea"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

"This medicine actually helps me feel 20 years younger...I ran out for a couple of days and I realized just how much this medicine works for me...without it after about an hour of being on my feet my lower back and hips start aching like toothache pain...with this medicine I usually can work all day and all evening and don't hurt until it's close to bedtime and time for the next dose...so thankful my doctor was able to call in a prescription before my next appointment...love love this medicine"

Tammy 1971 April 7, 2016

"Really relieved stiffness and took edge off the pain."

Guinney March 1, 2016

"I was told by my previous doctor that I need a knee replacement. I'm only 50. My new specialist said let put it of as long as possible with a treatment plan which included movalis and low impact fitness training. I was shocked at the relief it has given me within days. As he said its not a cure, but oh what a relief."

Me as well February 19, 2016

Mobic (meloxicam): "I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and fingers foot and ankle. I was also diagnosed with a 5th metatarsal stress fracture. Apparently I had the stress fracture for at least a year but thought it was arthritis. I was prescribed 15 mg of mobic daily by a podiatrist for the stress fracture. Within 1 hour of taking it the pain was almost gone. I had been taking 600-1200 mg of ibuprofen on a bad day of flares, sometimes having to take naproxen instead Mobic allows me restful sleep but it does make me drowsy...I need 10 hours of sleep to recover. However I can take it every other day and it still works on both sharp and dull pain. This in the only NSAID that has worked this well for me and I have taken them all for the past 10 years"

Marianne from TN (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2016

"Stopped my pain dead in its tracks. Lots of gas though"

Poolter December 28, 2015

"Got great relief after about 5 days. Don't know how I would have survived back spasms without it. To protect your gut from ulcers etc, you need to ask your doctor to also prescribe a drug called Nexium and take that in the morning and take the Mobic in the evening with food. Shame it is not good to take this drug long term though."

Aussie Di December 7, 2015

"I have tried to use this drug for osteoarthritis several times. Not only does it not work, it gives me heartburn."

Sueb53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2015

"Ohhhh what a relief like a miracle am worried about long term effects. So far it's been wonderful allowing me to do a lot without pain"

Nancy29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2015