User Reviews for Meloxicam

Also known as: Mobic, Vivlodex

Learn more about Meloxicam.

Meloxicam Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 227 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Meloxicam to treat Osteoarthritis

"My right hip has been incredibly painful for the last couple of years. I've had two major procedures where a cortisone was injected into my hip. This was done in a hospital setting. Recently my hip started to act up again. My doctor, as in the past, recommended a replacement. I asked him if there was anything other option. He then suggested Meloxicam. He wasn't fond of it because of possible side affects.The next morning I took my first tablet (15mg). In less than 2 hours the pain was completely gone. It was a miracle!"

RayM36 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Years ago I had terrible low back pain. MD suggested Mobic which worked great for several years. About 4-5 years ago I developed atrial fibrillation. My cardiologist told me to definitely get off the Mobic because a side effect is bleeding, so this would worsen the bleeding because one side effect of Xarelto (a blood thinner) is to thin my blood to avoid strokes. I just read on another site that Mobic can cause AFib. There is no way to know if the Mobic caused the AFib or it developed independently. I suspect the Mobic brought on the AFib, although I have no proof of that. I have been in excellent health. The 1-10 rating scale used above should not be used, because in my case the Mobic was very helpful but probably caused major side effect"

Nulam July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi all...I'm 7 months post-op from a total knee replacment @ the age of 53. I was taking Celebrex 2 years prior to my knee surgery.. My Doctor recently asked me to try the Mobic/ Meloxicam.. As the celebrex just seemed to not be effective enough to manage the pain, swelling/ inflammation.. I've been taking the meloxicam for 3 weeks now, and just wow... I've seen a tremendous difference with my knee in every aspect.For the first time in 7 months, I don't have to sleep with a pillow between my knees,to help relive the pain I have been experiencing still with the knee... The only side effect I've noticed is a disruption of my sleeping.. Which I take melatonin and solved that problem...Is it working for me??..Absolutely a miracle drug!!"

Preslee July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had chest pains and heartburn, feelings of nausea/anxiety...and no help with pain."

elysium (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had lower back pain for 22 years (I am 45) Meloxicam was prescribed about 2 years ago. I take 15mg a day, in the morning. No side affects whatsoever but not a very good pain eliminator, I still have breakthrough pain that starts in around noon and lasts the rest of the day, at least 3-4 days a week."

AnnaBanana4u (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Meloxicam for my hand pain from a hand specialist with a large and reputable Bone and Joint group. If he had read what my current prescriptions were he never would have prescribed this drug to me. Before taking any of it I did my research thoroughly and found out it is indeed a very dangerous drug, especially for people over 65 (me!), with high blood pressure, kidney issues, allergies, indigestion, etc. I would advise everyone to research before taking this drug."

Mamabees June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"48 yr old healthy female, w/ osteoarthritis in 3 places in my back. LOTS of pain, nothing really helping. Decided to give Meloxicam a try, and within a few days a huge difference in the pain, only felt stiff in the mornings. However, week 2 of taking it , and was in bed last night about to fall asleep when I became incredibly dizzy, felt like the bed was spinning and I felt pretty confused as well. I haven't been drunk in years, but that's the only thing I can compare the feeling to- been really drunk and going to bed. It was terrible and lasted probably 15 mins. Each time I closed my eyes, the bed was spinning and I became super nauseous, and when my eyes were open everything was spinning as well. Was really scary! Done w/ Meloxicam"

drshelton2154 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was limited with activity and living with pain 24/7. Been on Meloxicam for 12 months; as far as I'm concerned it's a miracle drug. I still get a bit stiff when I move more than normal, but it's given me 95% relief...."

Donamari June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed for arthritic knee. Taking 7.5mg daily and my knee pain has gone . I also have diabetic nephropathy and my feet burn and tingle all the time. It was almost impossible to fall asleep, I stayed up late till I just couldn't stay up any longer. It's like a miracle happened. My foot pain has almost disappeared. My feet feel so much better. The tingling and burning have diminished from a 10 to a 1. Thank you I can't say enough."

diciple9 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on this medication while traveling in Latin America, where it is widely prescribed for arthritis and tendonitis. I'm an active 52 yr old female and otherwise in good health. I have moderate to severe joint pain in my hips and knees. I have been on Meloxicam for over a year now with no side effects and very good relief. I take it first thing in the morning to relieve my morning pain and stiffness. I have noticed that some people respond well to Alleve but not at all to Advil. I am of that group and so Meloxicam works well for me, better than Alleve. Many who respond well to Advil but not to Alleve seem to have adverse reactions to Meloxicam. Just mentioning this correlation because it seems to be a good indicator of effectiveness."

Sailing Lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mobic (meloxicam): "Mobic has been great for my arthritis. I've had Mobic prescribed by several different doctors over the past 10 years and 1) haven't had a problem with it, and 2) it's one of the only medications that helps with my arthritis, which I have in just about every joint but my elbows. Ibuprofen works too but I started retaining fluid and swelling up after taking it off and on for several years. Hope nothing similar happens w Mobic as it's a godsend."

Kvddhthc835 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mobic (meloxicam): "Made my pain worse"

CarolRobertson85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it for several days expecting pain relief but it didn't do anything. My doctor told me I have osteoarthritis my pain is so bad that I literally cannot do anything, except lying down on my belly. I stop taking Meloxicam because was useless for my pain and it makes my stomach upset.I did better with Tylenol and homeopathic pills."

Pepe87 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Meloxicam for knee pain following two surgeries to repair meniscus tears. It truly was a wonder drug - knee pain practically gone - mobility increased. Took it for approximately 4 months - 1 x 10 mg. tablet with breakfast. AND THEN ... three weeks ago I woke up - couldn't stand up without fainting and had a tarry black stool. Rushed to hospital. Blood transfusions ... endoscopy revealed a bleeding duodenal ulcer. I had no symptoms - no pain at all. Gastroenterologist confirmed how dangerous this drug is - side effect of internal bleeding is very real. I should have done more research before taking. This is a dangerous drug - that unfortunately worked great to relieve knee pain - but almost killed me!"

Dee May March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have osteoarthritis, which was manageable with Aleve on bad days. Then I developed Fibromyalgia and the pain became excruciating! Tried Naproxin and it didn't touch the pain. Then my doctor put me on Meloxicam 15mg and the pain dropped in two days! It is not gone, because of the Fibro, but I have gone from off the pain scale back onto it (7-8 on most days, 3-4 on the rare good day). I am only staying on it for 2 months (am also on other meds for my Fibro). Supposedly if you can get your pain down to a 5 or below while on it you won't react when stopping. I'm also trying other things (low impact exercise, alternative therapies, etc) to help myself. I did read up on this before taking it and noted all the interactions to be aware."

ChronicDame (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doc prescribed Naproxen for my arthritic knees and hip, which I found almost ineffective. I was looking for a cheaper alternative and she let me try Meloxicam. Wow! I don't have knee pain any more and the hip pain is 80% better, and at a much, much lower cost to me. Some people do better on one or the other, so if one is not working for you, ask your doc to try the other."

too many cats March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Osteoarthritis in my fingers, thumbs and both shoulders from 40 years of factory work. I have been taking Meloxicam for 2 and a half years. Without it I don't think I could continue working. I take one 15 mg pill every morning and it gives me relief all day. I get minor pain in the evening but nothing I can't handle. I tried going off of Meloxicam due to reading about the risks of long term use but my pain came back with a vengeance. I tried Aleve twice a day instead. It didn't work as well for the pain and it was harder on my stomach. My Rheumatologist said I had to weigh the risk factors and side effects of long term use of Meloxicam with my quality of life so I am choosing Meloxicam because it works for me and it's inexpensive."

Mikki Scott (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Refilled my prescription two weeks ago after not taking the medication for a few months. It definitely helps with arthritis and back pain but this time I've gained 6lbs instantly. Didn't change anything in my diet and increased my exercise. Stomach boating is terrible. Be cautious when taking this medicine. Will be using this sparingly and only if needed."

Mama Bee January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took meloxicam for 6 days , couldn't sleep and gained 5 pounds. No more for me!"

Paw-Paw (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Mobic (meloxicam): "I too am in constant pain mobic worked wonders but stomach wouldn't tolerate it. My dr gave me 7.5 twice a day instead of 15 amazing results."

sabarto25 January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Aleve worked much better at controlling pain."

DrRed November 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Mobic for c-3-4-5 herniated disc repair, plate screws and fusion post surgery meds. This was a horrible drug for me. I swelled face, hands and feet so much so I looked like a different person. water retention maximized! Then complicating matters is the weight gain! I gained 15 pounds in 2 months! I am a petite 110 lb woman. The added weight raised my blood pressure needed to see a cardiologist and rx meds to return me back where I started! I would NOT recommend this medication. Since then my pain is managed and monitored by rx pain meds not NSAIDs."

Macygirl08 October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Meloxicam for 2 weeks. Helped with the pain, but noticed stomach swelling. Woke up one night with severe stomach cramps. Passed out in bathroom. Had to be taken to Hospital. Had stomach bleeding. Lost 2 pints of blood and had stomach ulcer. This drug is dangerous."

Wylddog September 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works great as a substitute for Advil but just as worried about long-term effect."

Ally the Hoosier September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Meloxicam twice. The first time was 15 mg. It helped the pain but I had a lot of problems with water retention and I gained 15 lbs. I went off the med because of the side effects. It took 2 months but I lost the 15 lbs. My new doctor put me back on it but at 7.5 mg. I am again going off it because of significant water retention and I have gained the 15 lbs back. To me, the swelling of my hands and feet from water retention and the weight gain are not worth the benefits for my arthritis. I'll stick with Aleve."

chocoholic1225 September 5, 2016