Is meloxicam very similar to Celebrex?
I used to take Celebrex, but because of insurance I've switched to meloxicam. Is it as good as Celebrex to decrease inflammation due to back or joint problems?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Apr 18, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Meloxicam and Celebrex both belong to a class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).They work by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Celebrex is more specific in it's target (a selective COX-2 inhibitor) and therefore may cause less gastrointestinal side effects compared to the normal NSAIDs like meloxicam and diclofenac.
It is always best to consult your doctor on which is the best medicine for you to take.
For more information visit:
Related Medical Questions
- Is meloxicam a narcotic?
- Is meloxicam a sulfa drug?
- Can I take Meloxicam and Aleve or Tylenol together?
- Can meloxicam cause drowsiness and headache?
- How long do I wait after taking 400 mg ibuprofen to take 15 mg of meloxicam?
- Is meloxicam helpful in gout treatment?
- What is the difference between meloxicam and ibuprofen?