Is meloxicam very similar to Celebrex?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 8, 2021.
I used to take Celebrex, but because of insurance I've switched to meloxicam. Is it as good as Celebrex to decrease inflammation due to back or joint problems?
Meloxicam and Celebrex both belong to a class of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).They work by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Celebrex is more specific in it's target (a selective COX-2 inhibitor) and therefore may cause less gastrointestinal side effects compared to the normal NSAIDs like meloxicam and diclofenac.
It is always best to consult your doctor on which is the best medicine for you to take.
For more information visit:
Related Medical Questions
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Can I take Meloxicam and Aleve or Tylenol together?
- How long do I wait after taking 400 mg ibuprofen to take 15 mg of meloxicam?
- Can meloxicam cause drowsiness and headache?
- Is meloxicam a narcotic?
- Is meloxicam helpful in gout treatment?
- Is meloxicam a sulfa drug?