User Reviews for Xyzal

Xyzal has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 255 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of those users who reviewed Xyzal reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Allergies
7.6
Summary of Xyzal reviews 5.5 255 reviews

Reviews for Xyzal

henriettacarter1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2021

For Allergies: “I was prescribed xyzal by an ENT to relieve symptoms of a sinus infection, along with an antibiotic and the nasal wash Xlear. I noticed that I slept exceptionally well while taking it so decided to add it to supplements I take to ameliorate 4am awakening caused by what I believe is Advance Sleep Phase. I began to become aware of feeling foggy brained, and it was difficult to ascertain what was causing it because my levothyroxine levels had been lowered by my doctor; subsequently my blood pressure then became quite low: 110/62. After reading of the effects other have felt, I now believe Xyzal has caused the irritability and drowsiness I have experienced of late.”

shelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 10, 2021

For Allergies: “I take Xyzal for poison oak rash when Benadryl isn't helping. My MD recommended it. One dose is usually enough to really calm the rash and itching. I take it at night and do feel like a zombie the next day but it is worth it.”

Nate · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I took Xyzal in the evening as directed, and I was so sleepy the next morning that I could barely get out of bed. During the day, the effects didn't wear off until late in the day, so it compromised my ability to focus at work. I know that it doesn't affect everyone that way, but for me, I cannot use this product. It did reduce my allergies, but the sleepiness and brain fog it caused are intolerable unless you plan on staying in bed all day.”

Comatose May 2, 2021

For Allergies: “My PCP said to get Xyzal for relief; I took my first pill last night. I was drowsy yesterday & took a 2 hour nap & knew I would be up for hours last night. I took my first pill last night at 10pm & I was asleep 30 minutes later. I slept like a log for 9 hours (I'm usually fully refreshed after 7). I'm also a SUPER light sleeper & my husband said that he got up & made a lot of noise but I never heard a thing. I forced myself awake & felt heavily drugged (like I was only 1 hour into a NyQuil night). Then 2 hours later I was still feeling drugged & napped deeply for 2 hours; I woke up & feel heavily drugged still; Like morphine or Norco has been flooded into my body. My limbs are limp, I want to lay my head back & sleep again. Talking feels hard to concentrate on. I’m holding my eyes open extra wide to keep them from shutting involuntarily. Seriously- this is scary at how strong it’s affecting me and I’m scared to try to do anything. I’m not taking anymore of this stuff!”

Lettie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

For Allergies: “I started taking Xyzal about 2 months ago. For the first week all was well. It helped with my allergies and stuffy nose. After that I noticed my urine turned orange. I thought it was the effect of an antibiotic I was taking, so the dr told me to stop taking the antibiotic. Urine still remained dark after that. Then a cough began that I have had for at least 3 weeks. The final straw was when my face started breaking out with a rash and then my leg. I never thought the medication was the cause of all this until I read reviews from others. I have experienced the depression, the cough, the rash, the dark urine, the fatigue, so now I'm going to stop taking it and hope I can clear up all of these issues. I would say don't take this drug. It's just not worth the risk of all of the side effects.”

RiaRia4 · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Allergies: “My allergies are the highest level of miserable. I have tried everything! I have been battling with trying to breathe from my nose for 2 weeks. I went to Walmart and found Xyzal. I hadn’t read up on it but I didn’t care, I was willing to try ANYTHING! I took a whole pill last night around 9pm and I’ll tell you what! I took a shower before bed and while I was in the shower I thought I was going to fall out right there! I mustered you the strength and collapsed in my bed with my towel still on. It is 5pm the next day and I can’t move. It’s like morphine. That’s the only way I can describe it. My boyfriend took half a pill last night and he’s still sleeping. Oh but my allergies are better today. I can’t breathe out of one side of my nose still but before today I couldn’t breathe out of either side. I will say that the side effects are not worth it.”

Nicki · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2019

For Allergies: “I have used claritin and zyrtec for my seasonal allergies, but they never seem to really work. I struggle daily with watery eyes, sneezing, runny and stuffy nose. I work at a supermarket and saw xyzal on the shelf and thought ‘why not give this a try’. It’s currently 3am and I am sitting in bed with my heart racing from the awful nightmare I just had. I’m usually skeptical of reading people’s reviews and not trying a medication because of it, but I wish I had. I have never experienced nightmares so awful in my entire life. The amount of anxiety I feel right now is beyond words. Still have a stuffy nose as well. Honestly wondering if I had a panic attack in my sleep. Definitely going to be looking for a new allergy medication. Very scary. I’ve had nightmares before, but this was extremely different.”

KrazyKatL8y · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2021

For Allergies: “I have 6 cats & live in the country. I'm allergic to cat hair and dust mites & battle pet hair & dust daily! I was sent a 5 day sample of Xyzal to try. I've heard allergy meds should be taken in the morning so (my bad) without reading the box, I took it in the morning. My allergies haven't improved after 2 doses vs my usual meds. After my first dose yesterday, I noticed feet & ankles were swollen. They never swell! I thought it was odd but attributed it to a short road trip & food we don't normally eat. When it didn't go away after lots of water & rest, I got worried. I took another dose of Xyzal today & again, my feet & ankles are swollen & also tender. My appetite is ravenous as well! Hello red flags! Since I'm awake at 3am anyway, I researched side effects of Xyzal - swollen feet & ankles are on the severe side effects list, increased appetite & weight gain are on the milder side effects list!! No more Xyzal for me!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

For Allergies: “Horrible experience with this medication. I suffer from chronic allergies (sinus issues, chronic cough, etc), and Xyzal was recommended to me by my PCP because it is "non-drowsy." So wrong. I'm groggy, disoriented, irritable, and SO INCREDIBLY TIRED, and it's been two days since my last dose. (And this is my 3rd attempt with this med). I was hoping these side effects would fade, but they have not. I'll save a few bucks and take Benadryl the next time I want to relieve my cough and be comatose at the same time.”

Allerjenny · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

For Allergies: “I've had seasonal allergies for several years. I went back and forth between Claritin and Zyrtec for all of those years and had not great results that got less and less as time went on. I started taking XYZAL about a month ago when my nose itched and ran so much at night that I couldn't sleep anymore. The first week of taking XYZAL at night before bed, I was so tired the next day I could hardly function and I had a really bad upper stomach ache. But it helped my allergies so well I stuck with it. Eventually the tiredness and stomach ache got better but it seems to take longer to kick in and wears off more quickly now with my allergy symptoms reappearing well before it's time to take another dose. I've also developed extreme moodiness and anger issues, which is why I came to this page. I see it's a problem for others too. Because my symptoms seem to be reappearing, I may try something else for a while.”

Windsicle · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2019

For Urticaria: “I have suffered from hives as well as intense itching without rash for 15+ years. It is getting worse with age (I'm 34). Touching random objects, anything laying on or against my extremities, heat, etc. Went to allergist finally as I thought I was having severe food allergies - they diagnosed me with urticaria, turns out I have no allergies, just 'reactions'. I told them antihistamines have never worked for me, but they said with this condition it may be needed up to 4 times a day. I started with zyrtec twice a day, which helped but I was too sleepy. I have been on 1.5 xyzal am, 1 pm for over a month now and am mostly itch free for the first time I can remember. Can't believe OTC medication was all I needed for this endless nightmare.”

Cass · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2021

For Allergies: “Benefits: This product is AMAZING at clearing up allergies. I have been on many OTC allergy medicines as we recently discovered I was allergic to my dogs. This is the only allergy medicine that beats the itchy eyes, sneezing, and running nose. Downsides: SLEEPY. It takes about 1-2 weeks to get accustomed to this medication. Until then, you are in a fog when awake. For me and my husband, the other downsides are: weight gain and acne. I know that sounds odd but the experience of being on this medication is a very similar feeling as being on a steroid regimen for bronchitis or another illness. You are consistently hungry, your skin feels very oily, and you break out in places you don't normally break out. I gained 5 pounds in one month and my husband gained 10. For us, this was a large enough deterrent to search for other options.”

BG · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “Took half a pill of Xyzal as my regular dose at bedtime. Next day in afternoon I’d have to take a nap. I NEVER nap. Felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks. This was happening regularly while on half a pill, and always the next afternoon. Went off it for a while, no drowsiness. Allergies acted up again so I started it again last night. Could not stay awake this afternoon. Slept 3-5pm. I’m throwing this stuff away.”

Lot · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

For Urticaria: “I have a chronic urticaria that is triggered by fluorquinolones. Xyzal works almost instantly to calm the pruritus, however the sleepinss makes me drink five coffees per day to function. Hope I will be able to get off it pretty soon.”

Jen April 27, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I started taking it about two weeks ago and it made me super sleepy. Then I started to take it @ night and I would wake up with heart palpitations. I have had indigestion and chest tightness. I’m going back to my old faithful, Claritin.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

For Allergic Rhinitis: “I started this medication Xyzal due to chronic sinusitis and insane pressure headaches. The next day I felt extremely jittery but just shook it off, the day after (so 2 days after starting this med) I had a crazy panic attack hit me. I had immense chest pain, SOB, tingling all over my whole body, extremely light headed , I was sure I was going to pass out and uncontrollable shivering. I stopped it but now my DR wants me to restart it again see what happens since I was also started on a new med with it the first time... but since reading these comments idk seems to be a pretty usual side effect and I did not like that feeling at all ! Only good thing was I usually have trouble sleeping and that first night I slept the whole night lol”

Kelyn · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

For Allergies: “This medication works wonders for my allergies right off the bat. Cleared my stuffy nose right up! THE DOWNSIDE: It made my heart race so bad I had to make a trip to the doctor. My heart rate shot to 104-127. Short of breath. 24 hours later heart rate still 109. If you don't have this type of reaction, it's worth a try.”

Female · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2019

For Allergies: “I have been using Xyxal for over a year with wonderful results. Other medications were no longer effective (Allegra, Rhinocourt, Zyrtec) This has kept all my seasonal and environmental allergies under control. I am very thankful for this product. I haven’t had any of the side effects”

MotuMan September 15, 2016

For Allergies: “I've only taken Xyzal for allergies, twice. The first time I took 1 5 mg pill at 1700 hrs and by 2000 hrs, I was completely knocked out, as if I just had a meeting with Bill Cosby, knocked out. According to my fitbit, I didn't move for 10 hours 15 min. During the first three hours of the experience, I felt everything pop in my head and loosen up, but as that was going on my stomach became upset. When I woke up in the morning it felt like it wore off. I've tried this medicine because Zyrtec cause mood swings that causes me to be the most unlikable person in my city and I live in DC. I tried the medicine with a 1/2 dose the second night with the same side affects and the same intensity, but without the benefits and those last 8 hrs.”

Okie · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

For Allergies: “I took Xyzal for a month and went for blood work. My kidney function had dropped 9 points from 55 to 46 in that time. I immediately stopped taking it. A month later when the blood tests were repeated, my function was 60. My advice is do not take it. If I hadn’t caught it in time the damage might have been irreversible.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2021

For Allergies: “Wow, so glad I found these comments! I couldn't figure out why some days I feel like a zombie and have to go back to bed. Linking this with when I've taken Zyzol the night before makes so much sense. As far as helping with my allergy symptoms, not so much.”

Tmitch · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2019

For Allergies: “My allergies were bad sos I took this medication - Xyzal - for 2 weeks and started to feel depressed. I though it could be due to the fatigue I was expecting however after reading a few other reviews I see that depression is very possibly a result of use of this medication.”

Man · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2020

For Allergies: “I wouldn’t take this Xyzal. My side effects were that I had so many heart palpitations it was close to atrial fibrillation. I couldn’t sleep. Dangerous. Who cares about allergies when you need your heart to beat right to stay alive.”

K A R · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2019

For Allergies: “Took Xyzal for allergies, within 1 1/2 hours seeing spots in eyes, hard to breath, heart racing, felt panicky and had a headache. Sneezing had stopped , but still had runny nose. Made me feel crazy and exhausted. Scary !!”

matty cakes October 28, 2016

For Allergies: “I was prescribed this drug when it was first introduced over 10 years ago by sanofi- Aventis,or ucb pharma. I was havening severe reactions to , indoor and outdoor allergies. dust mites, certain soaps, and food allergies. For the longest time I had to be very careful what I could eat. This product changed my life style and how I was living. By far the best allergy medicine out there, and I have taken them all. Yes it is expensive, but worth it. I have been taking 5 milligrams a day for over 10 years now, and it still works. Generic doesn't work. It's not the same. Xyzal is the best.”

Nate June 15, 2019

For Allergies: “I have battled with sinus issues for a very long time. Sinus infections were a yearly thing and I would get debilitated by awful sinus headaches that would cause me to have to be in a silent dark room. My doctor had prescribed Flonase and they didn't help. I have tried every over the counter medications with no help. Sudafed pain and pressure helped make the headaches go away but did nothing for the other conditions that sinus and allergies bring along. I work in a warehouse so I'm constantly exposed to the weather, dust and dirt. So I saw a commercial for xyzal. I figured I'd give it a try. Went and picked up a pack of it and it wasn't cheap. I instantly noticed a difference. Over time I didn't get the headaches I once did. If I did get a sinus infection I cleared it out in a third of the time I normally would. I went to my doctor to see if I could get it prescribed. That way my insurance would cover it. Sure enough he was able to and life has been more enjoyable since.”

YusY September 2, 2015

For Urticaria: “If ever there is an award for the most irritating/embarassing illness, urticaria would (must?) definitely be a contender. Diagnosed with chronic urticaria about a month ago, and suffered immensely (redundancy at play here :). Nothing really worked, until a dermatologist prescribed Xyzal about a week ago. Told to drop all forms of medication - anti-histamines and ALL supplements, among others - and just take Xyzal. Hives acted up on first two days but have been free (almost) of hives for five days. Early days, but keeping fingers crossed that this will be a permanent solution. Will update.”

Starly · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2019

For Allergies: “I tried Xyzal and it wipes me out for a few days. The first two days I could hardly stay awake and slept most of it. The third day I still felt tired and cloudy but didn't nap as much (still a lot). It helped with allergies but I can't be a zombie for days. I tried it a few times and each time was the same. I suggest that you make sure you have a few days that you're not expected to work or drive before you take it the first time so you know how it affects you. Back to Allegra for me.”