User Reviews for Xyzal

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xyzal.

Urticaria
8.1

Allergic Rhinitis
7.4

Allergies
5.5

Summary of Xyzal reviews 7.0 162 reviews

Reviews for Xyzal

For Allergies "Started taking it in 2017 after the owl ads on TV. It does work, and it does produce a mild tiredness hangover effect the next day -though it is less pronounced than benadryl's next day hangover. I took one tablet a day for a month and started noticing the hangover getting stronger, so I cut down to half a tablet. I started noticing a very quick and aggressive angry response from me to any type of provocation or annoyance----yikes! I stopped taking it immediately after noticing this side effect after 2 months of taking it. I now take a 1/4 tablet with a mucinex, when allergies flare up, and this seems to work better with no pronounced anger or hangover."

J. Keith February 14, 2018

For Allergies "I have been taking Allegra for 25 years for allergies and asthma and the doctor recommended I switch to Xyzal. I only purchased a small package of 8 because I wanted to make sure I did not have any adverse side effects. Many years ago I had taken Zyrtec and had horrible dreams at night. Well last night was my 7th day on xyzal and my dreams were horrible. I woke up screaming at one point because I thought someone was attacking me and my boyfriend in the bed. As far as allergy symptoms go, this helped tremendously. But I cannot handle those kinds of dreams and feeling like I am not getting sound sleep. I will have to go back to my Allegra."

CmT.facepainter February 9, 2018

For Allergies "This drug was fantastic at kicking my allergies to the curb. It even kept my eczema flares at bay and my skin was completely clear. I was very excited about this OTC drug until... Every night I had vivid dreams and woke up drenched in sweat. Low and behold the dreams and the sweats stopped as soon as I stopped taking this drug. I tried halving with no luck. I talked with a few pharmacists and they've not heard this report before but I thought I'd prove well to tell others. It may not be enough for some people to stop taking Xyzal but I could not handle it. It is in the same class as Zyrtec which I can tolerate so this was strange. Still I am sad because it is a very good allergy drug and why I rate it highly."

East coast Elizabeth January 7, 2018

For Urticaria "perfect for chronic idiopathic urticaria"

Alan4744 December 1, 2017

For Allergies "I started Xyzal in late August due to repeat sinus infection and allergies. Last week, I skipped two doses by mistake and that was the worst thing that I could have done! I had a full blown panic attack in the truck while on our way home from running errands. I literally jumped out of the truck why it was still moving because I felt like my head was about to explode! It was the worst day ever. I am now only taking half a tablet to wean myself off this drug. Had I known these severe side effects after wanting to stop them, I never would have started them. Since halving my dosage, I have been having anxiety, joint pain, itching, and swelling in my sinuses. I am hoping to be off of these within 2 weeks since I only took them for around two months"

AccountantWorld (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

For Allergies "I wanted to share my experience with taking this medication. I started taking this medicine and felt a little better with the allergies however, I noticed my mood had changed. I started feeling very depressed about a week into the medicine and that is NOT like me at all. I am usually someone who wakes up with a burst of energy and always in a good mood. My allergy symptoms were improving a little bit but now I am in a state of depression. I was having mood swings and mentally breaking down crying for reasons that I usually wouldn't cry about. I talked with my doctor and we agreed that the medicine was making me feel this way. Today is day 4 without taking the medicine and I am back to my normal bubbly self. No more Xzyal for me."

JewelsTX November 16, 2017

For Allergies "THE REVIEWS ARE TRUE!!! I normally take 12 hour Allegra-D (as needed). When I took this I immediately felt worse, nose wouldn't stop running, got very hot (red), coughing almost like it make it worse. I felt it kick in & got extremely heavy. My nose felt like I was in the bottom of a pool, swollen, my eyes were puffy, vision impaired, had horrible nightmares, barely woke up when my alarm went off, felt worse than when I went to bed!!! Fatigued all day, bloated, headaches, swollen nose & MASSIVE sinus pressure when I looked down at work, felt like my senses were numb & I wasn't human. Everything everyone listed negative is true. I will NEVER take it again & I'm shocked it still available OTC & do NOT waste your money, it's total FRAUD."

utgoddess (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

For Allergies "For allergies and allergic reactions this medication worked well. Benadryl had stopped being effective and Claritin has always been useless so I decided to give this a shot. I took it around 5 p.m. and within an hour the misery of the allergies was less and by morning I felt 100% better. Took the product for two weeks until whatever was triggering my allergies finally stopped. No side effects noticed while taking the medication (which for me is rare as I'm allergic to nearly everything). No problems with interactions with heart medication either. Was well worth it."

MBFox (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

For Allergies "I've had such a mixed experience with this drug. On the one hand, it kicked a sinus allergy-induced migraine I had had for days that hadn't responded to other medicine. Once I started taking it on a daily basis, however, it made me extremely tired and sore. I tried taking halves and it isn't so bad that way, but ultimately lead to a lupus flare, which made me realize it was having a stronger effect on my body than I'd realized. Now missing work from it. Take with caution!"

MeLaur October 9, 2017

For Allergies "I never tried this product because I am allergic to microcrystalline cellulose. The cellulose can cause gut pain, inflammation and sometimes itching. Watch for products that use this filler. Even some prescription drugs use this filler. Be aware of the inactive ingredients in what you take."

Allergic to this product October 5, 2017

For Allergies "I’m giving this medicine 2 stars because it worked the first couple of time and then went down hill from there. I feel like my body got used to it so quick because I have suffered from allergies as a kid or my allergies are just that bad that the pill doesn’t work anymore. I have even taken two pills as desperation to help before the 24 hours and NOTHING. Save your money"

DazeyNo October 3, 2017

For Allergies "I gave it the benefit of the doubt after the first few times it stopped working. This last time, last night to be exact, I took one before going to bed. I woke up this morning like my nose was a faucet. This is the most frustrating medicine ever... and since it is 24hrs, now I have to suffer ALL DAY before I can take something else."

Msconnie76 September 29, 2017

For Allergies "Will not take again! Up all night frequent urination. Finally fell asleep and woke with awful migraine, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and muscle pain! I've been feeling awful all day! Can't wait to get this out of my system! Will go back to Clariten which I tolerate. Ughhhh..."

Mela414 September 28, 2017

For Allergies "The instructions say that you should take it at night as it can cause drowsiness; however, this medication kept me up all night! It also made me feel anxious and weird. And to top it all off, I am still suffering from allergies. Guess it's time to try something else."

holly_jean September 26, 2017

For Allergies "This was prescribed to my elderly mother. After taking it about a month, she began to have hallucinations as well as feeling extremely tired. We will make sure she never takes this again."

Anonymous#2 September 17, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis "Day 2, throat drainage is much better, although hasn't stopped completely. Congestion in my nose is better as well. No problems with feeling sleepy. Trying this to see if I can avoid deviated septum surgery after being on antibiotics for 3 months for severe sinus infection"

Dseptum September 7, 2017

For Allergies "I took one pill at night. I slept all night and all the next day. Do not recommend. I slept all day so don't even know if it worked for allergies. Nowhere on the package did I see warning about sleep problem and no additional instructions in the box. Stuck with expensive product that I cannot use. In my mind drowsiness is not the same as being sound asleep for over 24 hours."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2017

For Allergies "Extremely effective. I have had horrible allergies for years, and this was the only thing that worked for me. Make sure you take it an hour or so before you go to bed though, the drowsiness side effect is huge if you don't. After my allergies were under control, I was able to switch to half a pill and that helped with the morning grogginess a lot. But it gave me my health back, so I'm grateful!"

Krtu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2017

For Allergies "I live in Central Texas where we have allergens year round. I have suffered from allergies all my life and eventually everything just stopped working, and nasal sprays made things worse. Xyzal has been amazing for me- I take it at night and have zero side effects (that I'm aware of!) It is TOTALLY worth trying if Claritin and Zyrtec don't work for you anymore."

C8 August 1, 2017

For Allergies "I was looking around on these reviews to see if anyone else experienced weight gain. While the drug worked pretty well for my allergies (dairy consumption) I was shocked to see after a few days of taking it, I had ballooned up inexplicably. Yikes. Found one person who said they had also gained weight."

Lily2Susan (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017

For Allergies "I have not experienced the side effects like others. It simply does absolutely nothing for my allergy symptoms."

Zizbrat (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2017

For Allergic Rhinitis "Took this at night while waiting on an Allegra order. It was not terribly effective on my indoor/outdoor allergies. I felt marginally less wheezy at night, but my nose was stuffed and eyes itchy the next morning. On top of that, it makes me sluggish and stupid for a solid 24 hours. Forget drinking on this pill; the alcohol will go straight to your head. Granted, the label says all of this, but these itty-bitty pills aren't effective enough to be worth it."

Anonymous July 17, 2017

For Allergies "My doctor suggested this medication for allergies a few days ago. I was taking for two days and I was completed exhausted and wiped out both days (which never happens to me). So I decided to research it and saw that many people had a similar reaction. This was a significant reaction so be careful before you take it. I have now stopped."

QMCIII (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

For Allergies "Kept my four year old up all night . She was miserable and whined all night. Do not use for children this has been awful. She finally got some rest at 10 am the next day."

Anonymous July 10, 2017

For Allergies "This has been one of the worst medications for allergies that I have ever taken. I took it around 5am in the morning and right now It's 6:45 pm. My nose has been draining since I took this medication and I'm more stuffed now than I've ever been. My eyes are watery and I'm sneezing something terrible. I do not recommend this medication. Save your money and try something else. By the way this was my 2nd time trying it just to see if I would have the same symptoms and I did."

kio (taken for less than 1 month) July 8, 2017