User Reviews for Xyzal

Allergies
5.4

Summary of Xyzal reviews 6.4 179 reviews

Reviews for Xyzal

For Allergies "On Xyzal I experienced severe depression and dark thoughts. I was on it for 16 days. I also had severe chest pains/anxiety attack(?) while on it. I have been off of it for 4 days and every day I'm feeling better. While I was having symptoms, I googled side effects and found "depression" . Really grateful to be off this and feeling better."

Victoria (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2018

For Allergies "Seems to be just as effective as Zyrtec but it's more expensive."

Billy Bob (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

For Urticaria "Xyzal is horrible. I’ve spent the last 4 years of my life suffering due to side effects of antihistamines. These drugs are all the same thing. They make you feel annoyed, depressed, anxious, exhausted, dizzy, and just like absolute garbage! I thought xyzal, being the “newer and better” drug it was marketed to be, would be the miracle to save my life. However, it wasn’t. This drug is just as bad as the rest, possibly even worse. Also, keep in mind that xyzal is no different than Zyrtec. It’s literally just the left half of Zyrtec, the part of it that actually works. It’s the same drug. If Zyrtec sucks for you, xyzal will too. Honestly I’m gonna go back to claritin. It doesn’t stop my hives completely but I am at least not a psychotic depressed maniac on it."

Adim7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis "I'm 90% allergic to dogs and 95% allergic to cats. Guess what? I have a cat and a dog... the dog sheds more than the cat, but if the cat scratches me I break out into hives/welt. If a dog hair gets on my face, especially around my eyes... I get symptoms of pink eye. My eyes get red, itchy and swollen. That being said nothing but XYZAL has worked for me. I take this at night about 1 hour before bedtime."

Max&Augie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Allergies "I was desperate for something to alleviate coughing which was severe to the point of which I had trouble breathing, and terrible accompanying chest pain. I purchased xyzal otc, and used just one dose last night, no other meds were taken with it. It has helped substantially with the coughing, although I haven't slept at all!!!"

Cheeekz (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Allergies "I have learned my mistakes with taking Xyzal. It gave me horrible side effects but not only me but some of my family I currently am trying to get over a really stuffed nose and bad coughing. I had to look up to see if I wasn’t the only one and apparently I wasn’t. I can see why the pharmacist said Allegra was better. It only worked in the beginning when I took it then side affects started to kick in"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Urticaria "I developed Hives after gallbladder surgery. Benedryl worked on the surface for about 8 months. Then I went to an allergist and she had me stop all meds for allergies. That night I thought I was going to die. Lips were swollen eyes were and I didn't sleep. The next morning was back at the dr. and was nebulized in the office for 4 hours. She prescribed Zyzal 10 mg at night, and Singulair in the morning as needed. Worked wonderfully. I can played around with dosage taking at night. I can go 1 night without it and I have to take it the next night. 72 hours with out a dosage and I will have a breakout start. Told the Dr. that I will take this the rest of my life, and I don't mind."

VMR (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2018

For Allergies "I have seen mixed reviews on xyzal but for me it seems to work like magic. Doesn’t last 24 hours though. I can tell exactly when it wears off after about 12 hours"

BionicB (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Allergies "I'm allergic to things that are both inside and outside on this planet. As far as I know, the only habitable planet that I have no choice but to stay on. My doc recommended Xyzal, I bought it the same day, then read the reviews. I wouldn't take it for 3 wks after. Out of desperation and suffering I started 5 days ago. I've slept for approx 18 hours of each day. (I work 12 hour days so you can assume that I slept quite a bit at work.) When my alarm goes off I start saying, "You can do this! Get up Shelby! Omg, whhyyyy? Help!" After I wake I wander around muttering, "Why am I so tired? Something is wrong, I must be dying." Not only am I sedated at all times, sleeping on floors and in my car, but I took my children to the park today & fell asleep on the picnic blanket for 2 hours. They could have been kidnapped. "

Allergic to Earth part 1 of 2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

For Allergies "Though I can't say anything about the long term effects of this drug, I can say that I get no relief from most allergy relief medications. I've been taking Zyrtec with no noticeable difference in the relief of my symptoms. And xyzal seems to be helping quite a bit. Although I have very bad seasonal allergy's so I'd be surprised if anyone ever made anything that would completely get rid of them."

Anonymous April 28, 2018

For Allergies "After only one dose, in the evening, I have felt sedated for 3 days now. My grandson took Xyzal at bedtime 2 nights with sedating affects that left him on the couch and sad. We stopped Xyzal and started Alleges and he is acting like himself again."

Ph April 24, 2018

For Allergies "This product does not work for my seasonal allergies!! I've been using Allegra for the past too season so I was advice to try a new product! Xyzal is not it, Allegra still works better."

T (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Allergies "This drug made me so tired and a little depressed after 2 doses in 2 days. Also, it dried my eyes so much that I could barely get contacts out, which led to eye pain and infection."

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For Allergies "Within 2 hours of the first pill I got great relief. Zyrtec wasn't working well. The 24 hours after the first Zyxal were to first almost normal day I've had in months. I went one hour past the 24 before taking a second dose and started symptoms again, and now an hour later I can feel it starting to shut down the itchy runny nose and throat. All I can say is hooray for Xyzal because my life this spring has been a total misery because I can no longer use corticosteroids that helped a lot (like Flonase, Nasacort or Flovent for asthma) due to having developed glaucoma. I have tried Nasal Crom and ProAir (albuterol) at my doctor's suggestions along with Zyrtec but they were doing little or nothing."

Pam (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis "Slept all day after taking it, felt groggy and horrible. Like taking 3 or 4 Benadryl at once. Will never take xyzal again, the sedation is debilitating it is so bad. Only took one dose. Incapacitated for the entire day. I have never had any problem with bad reaction from drug before. This is a bad drug!"

Sam (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

For Allergies "I started taking this medication less than a month ago for seasonal allergies since my daily Zyrtec was not effective. I took the 1st dose before bed and it was great at helping me sleep better and I felt great the next day; symptoms weren't 100% gone but much better. Then after a few weeks, the effect wasn't as great as Zyrtec (when it worked) and then came the side effects. Despite giving relief and improvement to already good sleep in the beginning, a month in, my allergies have gotten worse, I have possible side effects (grogginess all day, lack of appetite, malaise, scratchy throat & fatigue). Heading to 2nd doc visit today and NOT continuing this med considering this is the only medication I am on and despite having allergies felt far better before being on it."

DB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2018

For Allergic Rhinitis "I was hopeful that Xyzal would be the life changing allergy medicine I’ve been searching for. The first dose I took at bedtime, woke up to less allergy symptoms but as the day went on my mood went downhill... easily irritated, grumpy, depressed and crying. This is so opposite of my typical mood. Took second dose thinking it was just PMS or something, woke up dreading my day and more congested. The gloomy feeling is still there and after reading side affects I’m certain it’s the Xyzal. I don’t tolerate Zyrtec or Allegra either, but when you’re recovering from your 3rd sinus infection in 2 months you search for the best remedy. My daughter who has year round allergies took a dose at bedtime too, by morning it was as if she hadn’t taken anything. Gave her another dose (5ml) and the poor thing was exhausted at school, could barely keep her eyes open. Back to Claritin for me and Zyrtec for her. You truly have to try them all to see what works for you. This one tho is getting tossed."

Hizwify February 22, 2018

For Allergies "Started taking it in 2017 after the owl ads on TV. It does work, and it does produce a mild tiredness hangover effect the next day -though it is less pronounced than benadryl's next day hangover. I took one tablet a day for a month and started noticing the hangover getting stronger, so I cut down to half a tablet. I started noticing a very quick and aggressive angry response from me to any type of provocation or annoyance----yikes! I stopped taking it immediately after noticing this side effect after 2 months of taking it. I now take a 1/4 tablet with a mucinex, when allergies flare up, and this seems to work better with no pronounced anger or hangover."

J. Keith February 14, 2018

For Allergies "I have been taking Allegra for 25 years for allergies and asthma and the doctor recommended I switch to Xyzal. I only purchased a small package of 8 because I wanted to make sure I did not have any adverse side effects. Many years ago I had taken Zyrtec and had horrible dreams at night. Well last night was my 7th day on xyzal and my dreams were horrible. I woke up screaming at one point because I thought someone was attacking me and my boyfriend in the bed. As far as allergy symptoms go, this helped tremendously. But I cannot handle those kinds of dreams and feeling like I am not getting sound sleep. I will have to go back to my Allegra."

CmT.facepainter February 9, 2018

For Allergies "This drug was fantastic at kicking my allergies to the curb. It even kept my eczema flares at bay and my skin was completely clear. I was very excited about this OTC drug until... Every night I had vivid dreams and woke up drenched in sweat. Low and behold the dreams and the sweats stopped as soon as I stopped taking this drug. I tried halving with no luck. I talked with a few pharmacists and they've not heard this report before but I thought I'd prove well to tell others. It may not be enough for some people to stop taking Xyzal but I could not handle it. It is in the same class as Zyrtec which I can tolerate so this was strange. Still I am sad because it is a very good allergy drug and why I rate it highly."

East coast Elizabeth January 7, 2018

For Urticaria "perfect for chronic idiopathic urticaria"

Alan4744 December 1, 2017

For Allergies "I started Xyzal in late August due to repeat sinus infection and allergies. Last week, I skipped two doses by mistake and that was the worst thing that I could have done! I had a full blown panic attack in the truck while on our way home from running errands. I literally jumped out of the truck why it was still moving because I felt like my head was about to explode! It was the worst day ever. I am now only taking half a tablet to wean myself off this drug. Had I known these severe side effects after wanting to stop them, I never would have started them. Since halving my dosage, I have been having anxiety, joint pain, itching, and swelling in my sinuses. I am hoping to be off of these within 2 weeks since I only took them for around two months"

AccountantWorld (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

For Allergies "I wanted to share my experience with taking this medication. I started taking this medicine and felt a little better with the allergies however, I noticed my mood had changed. I started feeling very depressed about a week into the medicine and that is NOT like me at all. I am usually someone who wakes up with a burst of energy and always in a good mood. My allergy symptoms were improving a little bit but now I am in a state of depression. I was having mood swings and mentally breaking down crying for reasons that I usually wouldn't cry about. I talked with my doctor and we agreed that the medicine was making me feel this way. Today is day 4 without taking the medicine and I am back to my normal bubbly self. No more Xzyal for me."

JewelsTX November 16, 2017

For Allergies "THE REVIEWS ARE TRUE!!! I normally take 12 hour Allegra-D (as needed). When I took this I immediately felt worse, nose wouldn't stop running, got very hot (red), coughing almost like it make it worse. I felt it kick in & got extremely heavy. My nose felt like I was in the bottom of a pool, swollen, my eyes were puffy, vision impaired, had horrible nightmares, barely woke up when my alarm went off, felt worse than when I went to bed!!! Fatigued all day, bloated, headaches, swollen nose & MASSIVE sinus pressure when I looked down at work, felt like my senses were numb & I wasn't human. Everything everyone listed negative is true. I will NEVER take it again & I'm shocked it still available OTC & do NOT waste your money, it's total FRAUD."

utgoddess (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

For Allergies "For allergies and allergic reactions this medication worked well. Benadryl had stopped being effective and Claritin has always been useless so I decided to give this a shot. I took it around 5 p.m. and within an hour the misery of the allergies was less and by morning I felt 100% better. Took the product for two weeks until whatever was triggering my allergies finally stopped. No side effects noticed while taking the medication (which for me is rare as I'm allergic to nearly everything). No problems with interactions with heart medication either. Was well worth it."

MBFox (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017