User Reviews for Xyzal

Xyzal Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 519 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Xyzal to treat Allergies

"I was desperate for something to alleviate coughing which was severe to the point of which I had trouble breathing, and terrible accompanying chest pain. I purchased xyzal otc, and used just one dose last night, no other meds were taken with it. It has helped substantially with the coughing, although I haven't slept at all!!!"

Cheeekz (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"I have learned my mistakes with taking Xyzal. It gave me horrible side effects but not only me but some of my family I currently am trying to get over a really stuffed nose and bad coughing. I had to look up to see if I wasn’t the only one and apparently I wasn’t. I can see why the pharmacist said Allegra was better. It only worked in the beginning when I took it then side affects started to kick in"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"I have seen mixed reviews on xyzal but for me it seems to work like magic. Doesn’t last 24 hours though. I can tell exactly when it wears off after about 12 hours"

BionicB (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

"I'm allergic to things that are both inside and outside on this planet. As far as I know, the only habitable planet that I have no choice but to stay on. My doc recommended Xyzal, I bought it the same day, then read the reviews. I wouldn't take it for 3 wks after. Out of desperation and suffering I started 5 days ago. I've slept for approx 18 hours of each day. (I work 12 hour days so you can assume that I slept quite a bit at work.) When my alarm goes off I start saying, "You can do this! Get up Shelby! Omg, whhyyyy? Help!" After I wake I wander around muttering, "Why am I so tired? Something is wrong, I must be dying." Not only am I sedated at all times, sleeping on floors and in my car, but I took my children to the park today & fell asleep on the picnic blanket for 2 hours. They could have been kidnapped. "

Allergic to Earth part 1 of 2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

"Though I can't say anything about the long term effects of this drug, I can say that I get no relief from most allergy relief medications. I've been taking Zyrtec with no noticeable difference in the relief of my symptoms. And xyzal seems to be helping quite a bit. Although I have very bad seasonal allergy's so I'd be surprised if anyone ever made anything that would completely get rid of them."

Anonymous April 28, 2018

"After only one dose, in the evening, I have felt sedated for 3 days now. My grandson took Xyzal at bedtime 2 nights with sedating affects that left him on the couch and sad. We stopped Xyzal and started Alleges and he is acting like himself again."

Ph April 24, 2018

"This product does not work for my seasonal allergies!! I've been using Allegra for the past too season so I was advice to try a new product! Xyzal is not it, Allegra still works better."

T (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

"This drug made me so tired and a little depressed after 2 doses in 2 days. Also, it dried my eyes so much that I could barely get contacts out, which led to eye pain and infection."

Jo (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

"Within 2 hours of the first pill I got great relief. Zyrtec wasn't working well. The 24 hours after the first Zyxal were to first almost normal day I've had in months. I went one hour past the 24 before taking a second dose and started symptoms again, and now an hour later I can feel it starting to shut down the itchy runny nose and throat. All I can say is hooray for Xyzal because my life this spring has been a total misery because I can no longer use corticosteroids that helped a lot (like Flonase, Nasacort or Flovent for asthma) due to having developed glaucoma. I have tried Nasal Crom and ProAir (albuterol) at my doctor's suggestions along with Zyrtec but they were doing little or nothing."

Pam (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"I started taking this medication less than a month ago for seasonal allergies since my daily Zyrtec was not effective. I took the 1st dose before bed and it was great at helping me sleep better and I felt great the next day; symptoms weren't 100% gone but much better. Then after a few weeks, the effect wasn't as great as Zyrtec (when it worked) and then came the side effects. Despite giving relief and improvement to already good sleep in the beginning, a month in, my allergies have gotten worse, I have possible side effects (grogginess all day, lack of appetite, malaise, scratchy throat & fatigue). Heading to 2nd doc visit today and NOT continuing this med considering this is the only medication I am on and despite having allergies felt far better before being on it."

DB (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2018

"Started taking it in 2017 after the owl ads on TV. It does work, and it does produce a mild tiredness hangover effect the next day -though it is less pronounced than benadryl's next day hangover. I took one tablet a day for a month and started noticing the hangover getting stronger, so I cut down to half a tablet. I started noticing a very quick and aggressive angry response from me to any type of provocation or annoyance----yikes! I stopped taking it immediately after noticing this side effect after 2 months of taking it. I now take a 1/4 tablet with a mucinex, when allergies flare up, and this seems to work better with no pronounced anger or hangover."

J. Keith February 14, 2018

"I have been taking Allegra for 25 years for allergies and asthma and the doctor recommended I switch to Xyzal. I only purchased a small package of 8 because I wanted to make sure I did not have any adverse side effects. Many years ago I had taken Zyrtec and had horrible dreams at night. Well last night was my 7th day on xyzal and my dreams were horrible. I woke up screaming at one point because I thought someone was attacking me and my boyfriend in the bed. As far as allergy symptoms go, this helped tremendously. But I cannot handle those kinds of dreams and feeling like I am not getting sound sleep. I will have to go back to my Allegra."

CmT.facepainter February 9, 2018

"This drug was fantastic at kicking my allergies to the curb. It even kept my eczema flares at bay and my skin was completely clear. I was very excited about this OTC drug until... Every night I had vivid dreams and woke up drenched in sweat. Low and behold the dreams and the sweats stopped as soon as I stopped taking this drug. I tried halving with no luck. I talked with a few pharmacists and they've not heard this report before but I thought I'd prove well to tell others. It may not be enough for some people to stop taking Xyzal but I could not handle it. It is in the same class as Zyrtec which I can tolerate so this was strange. Still I am sad because it is a very good allergy drug and why I rate it highly."

East coast Elizabeth January 7, 2018

"I started Xyzal in late August due to repeat sinus infection and allergies. Last week, I skipped two doses by mistake and that was the worst thing that I could have done! I had a full blown panic attack in the truck while on our way home from running errands. I literally jumped out of the truck why it was still moving because I felt like my head was about to explode! It was the worst day ever. I am now only taking half a tablet to wean myself off this drug. Had I known these severe side effects after wanting to stop them, I never would have started them. Since halving my dosage, I have been having anxiety, joint pain, itching, and swelling in my sinuses. I am hoping to be off of these within 2 weeks since I only took them for around two months"

AccountantWorld (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2017

"I wanted to share my experience with taking this medication. I started taking this medicine and felt a little better with the allergies however, I noticed my mood had changed. I started feeling very depressed about a week into the medicine and that is NOT like me at all. I am usually someone who wakes up with a burst of energy and always in a good mood. My allergy symptoms were improving a little bit but now I am in a state of depression. I was having mood swings and mentally breaking down crying for reasons that I usually wouldn't cry about. I talked with my doctor and we agreed that the medicine was making me feel this way. Today is day 4 without taking the medicine and I am back to my normal bubbly self. No more Xzyal for me."

JewelsTX November 16, 2017

"THE REVIEWS ARE TRUE!!! I normally take 12 hour Allegra-D (as needed). When I took this I immediately felt worse, nose wouldn't stop running, got very hot (red), coughing almost like it make it worse. I felt it kick in & got extremely heavy. My nose felt like I was in the bottom of a pool, swollen, my eyes were puffy, vision impaired, had horrible nightmares, barely woke up when my alarm went off, felt worse than when I went to bed!!! Fatigued all day, bloated, headaches, swollen nose & MASSIVE sinus pressure when I looked down at work, felt like my senses were numb & I wasn't human. Everything everyone listed negative is true. I will NEVER take it again & I'm shocked it still available OTC & do NOT waste your money, it's total FRAUD."

utgoddess (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017

"For allergies and allergic reactions this medication worked well. Benadryl had stopped being effective and Claritin has always been useless so I decided to give this a shot. I took it around 5 p.m. and within an hour the misery of the allergies was less and by morning I felt 100% better. Took the product for two weeks until whatever was triggering my allergies finally stopped. No side effects noticed while taking the medication (which for me is rare as I'm allergic to nearly everything). No problems with interactions with heart medication either. Was well worth it."

MBFox (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

"I've had such a mixed experience with this drug. On the one hand, it kicked a sinus allergy-induced migraine I had had for days that hadn't responded to other medicine. Once I started taking it on a daily basis, however, it made me extremely tired and sore. I tried taking halves and it isn't so bad that way, but ultimately lead to a lupus flare, which made me realize it was having a stronger effect on my body than I'd realized. Now missing work from it. Take with caution!"

MeLaur October 9, 2017

"I never tried this product because I am allergic to microcrystalline cellulose. The cellulose can cause gut pain, inflammation and sometimes itching. Watch for products that use this filler. Even some prescription drugs use this filler. Be aware of the inactive ingredients in what you take."

Allergic to this product October 5, 2017

"I’m giving this medicine 2 stars because it worked the first couple of time and then went down hill from there. I feel like my body got used to it so quick because I have suffered from allergies as a kid or my allergies are just that bad that the pill doesn’t work anymore. I have even taken two pills as desperation to help before the 24 hours and NOTHING. Save your money"

DazeyNo October 3, 2017

"I gave it the benefit of the doubt after the first few times it stopped working. This last time, last night to be exact, I took one before going to bed. I woke up this morning like my nose was a faucet. This is the most frustrating medicine ever... and since it is 24hrs, now I have to suffer ALL DAY before I can take something else."

Msconnie76 September 29, 2017

"Will not take again! Up all night frequent urination. Finally fell asleep and woke with awful migraine, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and muscle pain! I've been feeling awful all day! Can't wait to get this out of my system! Will go back to Clariten which I tolerate. Ughhhh..."

Mela414 September 28, 2017

"The instructions say that you should take it at night as it can cause drowsiness; however, this medication kept me up all night! It also made me feel anxious and weird. And to top it all off, I am still suffering from allergies. Guess it's time to try something else."

holly_jean September 26, 2017

"This was prescribed to my elderly mother. After taking it about a month, she began to have hallucinations as well as feeling extremely tired. We will make sure she never takes this again."

Anonymous#2 September 17, 2017

"I took one pill at night. I slept all night and all the next day. Do not recommend. I slept all day so don't even know if it worked for allergies. Nowhere on the package did I see warning about sleep problem and no additional instructions in the box. Stuck with expensive product that I cannot use. In my mind drowsiness is not the same as being sound asleep for over 24 hours."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2017