Is Xyzal available over-the-counter?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Feb 20, 2021.
- Yes, Xyzal Allergy 24HR (oral tablets) and Children's Xyzal Allergy 24HR (liquid) are available over-the-counter (OTC) for treatment of symptoms due to seasonal and year-round allergies. Xyzal Allergy 24HR, from Sanofi, contains levocetirizine, an antihistamine previously only available with a prescription.
- In Feb. 2017, Xyzal Allergy 24HR allergy relief became available as an OTC product. It is available in the same strengths and dosage forms as prescription Xyzal. Store brands for OTC levocetirizine are also available.
- Xyzal Allergy 24HR starts to work within one hour and is effective throughout the next day. It may cause drowsiness so Xyzal Allergy 24HR is taken at bedtime. See dosing here.
Prescription Xyzal and the generic levocetirizine are still available on the U.S. market. Insurance in the U.S. does not typically pay for OTC products, but may pay for prescription drugs, with generic options preferred. OTC products may be eligible for an FSA or HSA account.
Xyzal Allergy 24HR relieves allergy symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, itchy nose or throat, and itchy or watery eyes. Two formulations of OTC Xyzal Allergy 24HR are available: an oral tablet and an oral liquid. Most pharmacies and major retailers in the U.S. will carry Xyzal Allergy 24HR on their shelves.
Xyzal Allergy 24HR tablets (levocetirizine oral tablet, 5 mg)
The tablets comes in package sizes of 10, 35, 55, 80 or 110-count tablets.
- Adults 65 years of age: ask a doctor before use.
- Adults and children 12 to 64 years of age: take one 5 mg tablet once daily in the evening. Do not take more than 1 tablet (5 mg) in 24 hours. One-half (1/2) tablet (2.5 mg) once daily in the evening may be appropriate for less severe symptoms.
- Children 6 to 11 years of age: take one-half (1/2) tablet (2.5 mg) once daily in the evening. Do not take more than one-half of a tablet (2.5 mg) in 24 hours.
- Children under 6 years of age: do not use tablet formulation.
- Consumers with kidney disease: do not use.
Children's Xyzal Allergy 24HR liquid (levocetirizine oral solution, 2.5 mg / 5 mL)
Use the solution only with the enclosed dosing cup. The solution comes in a 5 fluid ounce (148 mL) size bottle in a Tutti Fruiti flavor.
- Adults 65 years of age and older: ask a doctor
- Adults and children 12 to 64 years of age: take 5 milliliters (mL) or 10 mL once daily in the evening depending upon severity of symptoms. Do not take more than 10 mL in 24 hours.
- Children 6 to 11 years of age: take 5 mL once daily in the evening. Do not take more than 5 mL in 24 hours.
- Children 2 to 5 years of age: take 2.5 mL once daily in the evening. Do not take more than 2.5 mL in 24 hours.
- Children under 2 years of age: do not use.
- Consumers with kidney disease: do not use.
Common side effects and warning with Xyzal Allergy 24HR:
- drowsiness may occur
- use caution if driving or if operating machinery
- avoid alcoholic drinks
- alcohol, tranquilizers, and sedative may worsen drowsiness
Related: Xyzal Allergy 24HR side effects (in detail)
This is not all the information you need to know about Xyzal (levocetirizine) Allergy 24HR for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Xyzal Allergy 24HR information, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Xyzal (levocetirizine) Allergy 24HR. [Drug Facts Label]. Sanofi. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.xyzal.com/hcp/download/DrugFactsLabel.pdf
- Xyzal. Sanofi. Accessed Feb. 21, 2021 at https://www.xyzal.com/
Related Medical Questions
- What's the difference between Xhance and Flonase Allergy Relief?
- Why are my nipples sore? 7 possible causes
- How much Benadryl can I give my dog?
- What is the best way to reduce swelling in your face?
- Allegra vs Zyrtec: What's the difference?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?
- Can I take Claritin with Mucinex DM?
- How do you take Odactra?
Related Support Groups
- Xyzal (9 questions, 24 members)
- Levocetirizine (4 questions, 24 members)
- Allergy Relief (2 questions, 4 members)
- Allergies (106 questions, 430 members)
- Hives (55 questions, 196 members)
- Hay Fever (22 questions, 51 members)
- Allergic Rhinitis (28 questions, 85 members)
- Urticaria (12 questions, 63 members)
- Allergic Asthma (4 questions, 13 members)
- Seasonal Allergic Conjunctivitis (2 questions, 4 members)