How much Benadryl can I give my dog?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 6, 2023.
Benadryl dosage for dogs - I've heard that you can give benadryl to a dog, so how much should I give to my dog with allergies - weighs around 25 lbs.
Benadryl is an antihistamine. Its active ingredient is diphenhydramine. Diphenhydramine can be given to dogs for a variety of reasons. It can be used for allergic respiratory disease, cough, pruritis (itchy skin) due to allergy, motion sickness, and mild sedation. It should not be used if your dog has urinary retention, glaucoma or hypertyroidism. Side effects include drowsiness and CNS depression (Impaired thinking and perception, decreased heart rate, slow breathing)
The general dose of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is 2 to 4 mg/kg up to three times day. If your dog weighs 25 lbs (11.3 kg) the dose of Benadryl would be 22.6mg to 45.2mg up to three times a day.
Benadryl tablets are available in 25mg and 50mg strength. If you were using the Benadryl 25mg tablet you could give 1 to 2 tablets up to three times day.
It is worth noting a vet should be consulted to reassure you that your dogs symptoms are not indicative of something more serious.
Related medical questions
- What is the Benadryl hat man?
- What is the max dose of diphenhydramine for adults?
- What are the effects of taking expired benadryl?
- How much Benadryl can I take? What is too much?
- Does Mucinex help with Covid?
- What can I give my dog for motion sickness?
- Does diphenhydramine raise blood pressure?
- How long does Benadryl take to work?
- Can diphenhydramine be used as a sleep aid?
- Does Benadryl make you sleepy?
- Does Benadryl help with or cause anxiety?
- Benadryl Information for Consumers
- Benadryl prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Benadryl (detailed)