Generic name: levocetirizine dihydrochloride 5mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated, oral solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
XYZAL is available as 2.5 mg/5 mL (0.5 mg/mL) oral solution and as 5 mg breakable (scored) tablets, allowing for the administration of 2.5 mg, if needed. XYZAL can be taken without regard to food consumption.
Adults and Children 12 Years of Age and Older
The recommended dose of XYZAL is 5 mg (1 tablet or 2 teaspoons [10 mL] oral solution) once daily in the evening. Some patients may be adequately controlled by 2.5 mg (1/2 tablet or 1 teaspoon [5 mL] oral solution) once daily in the evening.
Children 6 to 11 Years of Age
The recommended dose of XYZAL is 2.5 mg (1/2 tablet or 1 teaspoon [5 mL] oral solution) once daily in the evening. The 2.5 mg dose should not be exceeded because the systemic exposure with 5 mg is approximately twice that of adults [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Children 6 months to 5 Years of Age
The recommended initial dose of XYZAL is 1.25 mg (1/2 teaspoon oral solution) [2.5mL] once daily in the evening. The 1.25 mg once daily dose should not be exceeded based on comparable exposure to adults receiving 5 mg [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)].
Dose Adjustment for Renal and Hepatic Impairment
In adults and children 12 years of age and older with:
- Mild renal impairment (creatinine clearance [CLCR] = 50-80 mL/min): a dose of 2.5 mg once daily is recommended;
- Moderate renal impairment (CLCR = 30-50 mL/min): a dose of 2.5 mg once every other day is recommended;
- Severe renal impairment (CLCR = 10-30 mL/min): a dose of 2.5 mg twice weekly (administered once every 3-4 days) is recommended;
- End-stage renal disease patients (CLCR < 10 mL/min) and patients undergoing hemodialysis should not receive XYZAL.
No dose adjustment is needed in patients with solely hepatic impairment. In patients with both hepatic impairment and renal impairment, adjustment of the dose is recommended.
More about Xyzal (levocetirizine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 84 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antihistamines