User Reviews for Xyzal to treat Allergic Rhinitis

Xyzal has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis. 51% of those users who reviewed Xyzal reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Xyzal Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 272 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis.

Reviews for Xyzal

Nate · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2021

“I took Xyzal in the evening as directed, and I was so sleepy the next morning that I could barely get out of bed. During the day, the effects didn't wear off until late in the day, so it compromised my ability to focus at work. I know that it doesn't affect everyone that way, but for me, I cannot use this product. It did reduce my allergies, but the sleepiness and brain fog it caused are intolerable unless you plan on staying in bed all day.”

Fluffin55 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2021

“I have terrible year round allergies. I was taking Benedryl but it triggers migraines. So, I decided to try Xyzal. It worked great on my allergies but the side effects are horrible! After about two weeks, I noticed heart palpitations that would get worse each day I took it. Then the chest pain, heart burn, and edema in my lower extremities started. I quit taking Xyzal and went back to Zyrtec. I should have known taking something in the same family would still cause problems. I took Zyrtec for four days. The palpitations and chest pain started up again and I had a bronchospasm. I was gasping for breath last night. I emailed the company that produces Xyzal and asked about these side effects. I was told they have no information.”

VLC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 15, 2020

“I take 1/2 tablet in the morning. I am very sensitive to drugs and this is the only one of many that causes no bad side effects. It’s a keeper!”

BG · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

“Took half a pill of Xyzal as my regular dose at bedtime. Next day in afternoon I’d have to take a nap. I NEVER nap. Felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks. This was happening regularly while on half a pill, and always the next afternoon. Went off it for a while, no drowsiness. Allergies acted up again so I started it again last night. Could not stay awake this afternoon. Slept 3-5pm. I’m throwing this stuff away.”

Jen April 27, 2020

“I started taking it about two weeks ago and it made me super sleepy. Then I started to take it @ night and I would wake up with heart palpitations. I have had indigestion and chest tightness. I’m going back to my old faithful, Claritin.”

Anonymous May 13, 2020

“I started this medication Xyzal due to chronic sinusitis and insane pressure headaches. The next day I felt extremely jittery but just shook it off, the day after (so 2 days after starting this med) I had a crazy panic attack hit me. I had immense chest pain, SOB, tingling all over my whole body, extremely light headed , I was sure I was going to pass out and uncontrollable shivering. I stopped it but now my DR wants me to restart it again see what happens since I was also started on a new med with it the first time... but since reading these comments idk seems to be a pretty usual side effect and I did not like that feeling at all ! Only good thing was I usually have trouble sleeping and that first night I slept the whole night lol”

Paulie March 5, 2019

“I have been on Xyzal for a few years now for seasonal allergies. I am on the 5mg dosage. I take at night 20 mins before I go to bed and I sleep like a baby. When I wake, I have allergy relief all day: no runny nose, itchy eyes, sneezing and hives during ragweed season. When my allergies are not bad.... I cut back to a half pill and it keeps my sinuses clear and if I come across a friend’s dog or cat, the small dose in my system keeps me in good shape in those situations too. It definitely works for me. The only cons for me are: sometimes a dry mouth and it will make you sleepy if you take during the day.”

Jenzy · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2018

“I took this 19 hours ago. I’m still too sedated to safely drive and too unsteady to stand in the shower. Plus my eyes are itching from allergy. This stuff should be pulled off the market immediately!”

Jnkc · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 16, 2016

“This medication has changed my son's life! He was always on multiple medications for asthma and allergies year round and nothing ever truly worked. This medicine is the only one he takes now and he is 100% symptom free of allergies, sinus issues, and asthma flare ups. Very grateful for this medication!”

1Jessicab · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2018

“Although the 2 days I took the medication for allergies ( which it worked great for) , I couldn’t deal with the mental and emotional side effects it caused. The medication caused me to be mean and angry, and extremely depressed. I cried on and off the entire second day. Fortunately I was quick to recognize that these feeling were caused by the medication and after the second day off of it I was fine.”

allergiesarenofun · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2016

“My doctor prescribed xyzal after my regular allergy medicine became ineffective and I was continually getting sinus infections over a couple month span. I couldn't figure out why I was still showing allergy symptoms and continuing to get sinus infections while taking xyzal. I decided to stop taking the medication after reading some side effects included sinus pressure, stuffy nose, and cough. Within a few days of stopping the medication, my symptoms disappeared. I found it interesting that some of side effects I experienced was the reason I began taking this prescription in the first place.”

Em-J August 13, 2008

“I love it. My doctor advised me, it's best to take right before bed. I get extremely tired 10 to 15 minutes after I take Xzyal. I also have to sleep for more than 8 hours, if I don't sleep more than 8 hours I feel drowsy all day and feel the need to take a nap.”

StephenIsMyNickname · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2017

“This medication did not seem to work any better than others I have taken, but it has made me extremely drowsy. I was not feeling well when I started taking it, so it took me a full week to figure out the XYZAL was making me so tired. I do not recommend this drug if you are susceptible to drowsiness side effects. Since it is sold in a 24-hour pill, I'm stuck being sleepy for a long time until this pill is out of my system.”

Mar · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2018

“This is terrible. It's like taking nothing at all and I didn't realize the side effect of anxiety/depression. That explains a lot! Going off in search of something else. I'm stuffed up all freaking day.”

GranmaDeb · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2020

“As many allergy sufferers know- I get so sick from allergies at the end of summer, so bad, you feel sick, so I usually take a Benadryl in the late evening, it helps, but does make me sleepy so I avoid it during the day! Thought oh I'll try Xyzal - it would be so nice to not suffer in the day too - whoa... me, too- among those suffering heart palpitations on it! Not good! wow... I will NOT be using it. I'm 66 and don't want to invite any trouble! Oh it DID work to ease the allergy symptoms very nice, but not worth the risk cause of how it did effect my heart.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2019

“Took half a pill for my hay fever every few days and it worked well in the beginning but after a few times it began to wear off too quickly and it also made me more and more drowsy/sleepy. Knocks me out.”

journallover April 2, 2009

“I have been taking Xyzal for nearly 1 year now and it truly has been my life saver. I suffer from extreme seasonal allergies and indoor allergies with all the symptoms; itchy red eyes, itchy ears and feet, sneezing 5 times an hour, congested sinuses, headaches, congestion, hives, and frequent bloody noses. I tried over-the-counter and prescription drugs for nearly 10 years with no success. Xyzal has honestly relieved all my symptoms. I take my dose before bed because it does make me sleepy. I have no problems making it through my work day. I do have a little bit of a dry throat side effect, but that is nothing compared to the misery I was in before.”

NCResident · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 21, 2016

“Really developed horrible allergies in last four years because of being over 40 living in terrible city for allergies. It really has been a game changer for me. It's strong enough that I often just use half a pill. I do think it's better than the OTC competition. No side effects for me.”

Anonymous September 1, 2010

“I had been on Allegra for allergies for almost 10 years. This year it stopped working and began to make my heart race. I also developed new allergies (to foods). My general practitioner mentioned Xyzal to me, gave me some samples, and instructed me to start out with the pediatric dose 2.5mg to see how I reacted to the medicine and how effective it was for me. All I can say is, it's AWESOME! It is fast acting, stopping the itchy nose, throat, ears and non-stop sneezing soon after taking it. No crazy heart rhythms, hung over feelings, or depression with this antihistamine. It's a keeper!”

Denise22 May 21, 2008

“I picked this drug up from a pharmacy in Europe and LOVED IT ! Of course here (in the USA) U need a Rx but, its well worth it! Love it! Better than Allegra, Claritin or anything else I've tried so far! And my allergies on a scale of 1 -10 are a 12~”

Max&Augie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2018

“I'm 90% allergic to dogs and 95% allergic to cats. Guess what? I have a cat and a dog... the dog sheds more than the cat, but if the cat scratches me I break out into hives/welt. If a dog hair gets on my face, especially around my eyes... I get symptoms of pink eye. My eyes get red, itchy and swollen. That being said nothing but XYZAL has worked for me. I take this at night about 1 hour before bedtime.”

WD0FIA May 29, 2009

“I was sick with sinus and ear problems for 6 weeks. I had been treated with Keflex, Zithromax, Levaquin, Allegra, Claritin and Veramyst. Some of these even made my symptoms worse. I took my first Xyxal and two hours later my sinus drainage was fine. In eight hours the sinus headache and eye redness was gone. By the end of my second day on Xyzal, I noticed my ear canals and skin no longer itched. I had no idea this was a condition caused by allergies. I thought I had dry skin. I still have some "stuffed up" sinus issues on my fourth day but I can taste food, inhale and exhale freely through my nose and feel pretty "normal". IT WORKS!”

Dseptum September 7, 2017

“Day 2, throat drainage is much better, although hasn't stopped completely. Congestion in my nose is better as well. No problems with feeling sleepy. Trying this to see if I can avoid deviated septum surgery after being on antibiotics for 3 months for severe sinus infection”

nasal girl October 24, 2008

“I have had chronic allergies and nothing has helped. It would be normal for me to go through a box of kleenex in a week. The major frustration with my allergies was my itchy feet and ear canals. Although xyzal is very expensive (my insurance doesn't cover it) it is worth not having the itchy feet and ears that no one thought about.”

Anonymous July 17, 2017

“Took this at night while waiting on an Allegra order. It was not terribly effective on my indoor/outdoor allergies. I felt marginally less wheezy at night, but my nose was stuffed and eyes itchy the next morning. On top of that, it makes me sluggish and stupid for a solid 24 hours. Forget drinking on this pill; the alcohol will go straight to your head. Granted, the label says all of this, but these itty-bitty pills aren't effective enough to be worth it.”

VictoLo February 19, 2009

“I think this drug is probably the best thing for people with severe allergies. I tried EVERYTHING before XYZAL and I finally stumbled upon this through my doctor and I am so happy I did. Now I can actually wake up and go through the day without sneezing, coughing, or getting a head cold.”

Kerrisan December 30, 2008

“Incredible results. I have recently developed horrible fall allergies with the whole - sneezing, runny/stuff nose, watery/itchy eyes, cough, fatigue and everything else. I would need a new tissue every 5 minutes. I took one Xyzal at 5 PM on Tuesday and it cleared every single thing up. It didn't begin to fade until 12 AM on Wednesday. I absolutely love this little pill.”

cpilot21 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2017

“Been prescribed xyzal for years. Just recently bought it over the counter for a cheaper price. The plus with this medication is that it helps a bit with my rhinitis and eliminates my hives completely. However, I'm now reading about drowsiness side effects others have been experiencing and wonder if this has been the cause of my fatigue.”

Learn more about Allergic Rhinitis