User Reviews for Ibuprofen to treat Period Pain

Also known as: Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Advil Liqui-Gels, Advil Children's, Addaprin, Motrin Childrens, Nuprin, Children's Motrin, Proprinal, Advil Migraine, Midol IB, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Caldolor, Advil Infant's Concentrated Drops, Advil Film-Coated, Genpril, IBU-200, A-G Profen, Advil Junior Strength, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula Actiprofen Motrin Migraine Pain PediaCare Infants' IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer PediaCare Children's IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer Motrin Junior Strength Motrin Infant Drops NeoProfen Help I Have An Aching Body Children's ElixSure IB Cap-Profen Motrin Pediatric …show all brand names

Ibuprofen has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Period Pain. 66% of those users who reviewed Ibuprofen reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Ibuprofen Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 44 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Ibuprofen

Princess · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2020

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen): “Didn't work. I took 2 as the first dose because I have intense menstrual pain, but nothing happened. I waited for an hour before taking another one, hoping it would kick in, yet still nothing happened. I guess I can't say I'm surprised; nothing has ever helped my cramps. At this point I just need to see a doctor asap.”

Ackna · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 4, 2020

“Advil Liquid Gel is the only pain reliever that has worked for me. I pop a 400mg every 6 hours or so for the first three days of period. I suggest also if your heavy flow happens on days off where you don't have to leave the house, try just making yourself comfy and sit on the toilet all day and let things keep flowing out. It definitely makes a huge difference especially when combined with Advil that now I have a dedicated pillow, blanket, foot stool and phone charger stashed in my washroom cupboard.”

Sad Student · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2020

“I’ve been taking 800 mg of ibuprofen for severe period cramps since last September but it’s like trying to put out a house fire with a squirt gun for all the good it feels like it does. It feels like if I take one or four advil or more Advil throughout the day the most relief I get is extremely minor and I’m still bedridden and in pain enough to wake me up crying in the middle of the night. High strength ibuprofen (800 mg per pill) is all I’ve been prescribed for the pain by my old doctor but I’m looking for a new one. Works good for headaches though.”

Any · Taken for 10 years or more September 15, 2019

“My period is extremely painful. I have to take 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day to get relief. Sometimes even 800mg doesn't work if I don't catch it early. Starts working around 40-60 mins, Sometimes later. But If it really kicks in, I feel great for like 6-8 hrs. I have to laugh when somebody explain their cramps as horrible, but then say 1-2 pills a day save them. Girls you are so lucky”

Nadja · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

Motrin (ibuprofen): “I had the most excruciating period pain and couldn’t even get out of bed. I tried everything and nothing helped until my cousin gave me motrin. With motrin I don’t feel any pain and don’t suffer from symptons nausea, depression, mood swings and now I can function normally. I can not believe I find something to stop to pain, I’m truly fascinated and recommend motrin to anyone”

Anonymous October 7, 2011

“Ibuprofen is wonderful for period pain, takes an hour to work and I take 2 x 200mg tablets every 8 hours. Have been taking ibuprofen for a few years now and it's always done the job so far, until this week that is. I was admitted to hospital with an immune system that almost shut down because of a reaction to ibuprofen. I consider myself very lucky that I did a routine blood test and found out this information, was told to stop taking the medicine immediately. Please be careful even if you've taken this medicine on a number of other occasions as I have done.”

hihihi · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2018

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen): “I have awful menstrual pain, and if I don't do anything about it, I lie in bed all day, vomiting and writhing in pain. Advil liquid gels are the only medication that totally relieve my pain, and it does so within minutes!!! Without advil liquid gels, I wouldn't be able to function, and would need to take time off work. Thank you advil liquid gels, you are my saviour!!!”

haplitz · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2020

“800 mg ibuprofen, AN ACTUAL LIFESAVER for my period pain. I have detrimental pain each time my period comes, to the point where it arouses fear in me. Ibuprofen really helps, takes minutes for relief. I'm extremely dependent though and usually take 1 or 2 a day, for the first 4 days of my period.”

Asax April 25, 2020

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen): “I've had extremely painful menstrual cramps since I started my period. After having it checked and prescribed many different pain relievers by doctors, I finally tried Advil liqui-gel capsules and its definitely the only one that's worked. Mind you the cramps were so bad I couldn't move from the bed for the first 2 days, vomiting, couldn't get sleep and back pain. This has become a lot less now for the past 3 months since I've been taking liqui-gels.”

onelove salvia · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2019

“IMPORTANT: TAKE ANY PAINKILLER THE DAY BEFORE EXPECTED CRAMPS!!! I have found all pain medication to be much more likely to be effective this way. If pain already exists, it doesnt normally seem to do much of anything. I just suffer in agony for hours, sometimes on and off all day long due to severe symptoms. I don't know why that would be, but there you have it. Even hours after taking any painkiller, I tend to feel little to no relief if I havent pre-dosed.”

Kahli · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2016

“Have taken this tablet on 2 different occasions. Both times does not work for periods. I have horrible pains and i feel that this tablet does nothing at all. Id recommend something stronger for those who dont get mild cramps.”

roxi213 May 21, 2011

“I always take these pills when I have my period, and it usually takes away the pain within an hour or so, but I do not recommend you take ibuprofen without eating first as I have done in the past, not such a good idea.”

Pam9 July 25, 2017

“I've had bad period cramps since I started menstruating. I used ibuprofen but 400 mg every four to six hours was not enough; I was afraid to take more until I read the prescription dosage for arthritis was as high as 3200 mg per day. I bumped my dosage up to 600 mg per dose and that made a huge difference. I recommend talking to a doctor or pharmacist about how much to take if the typical dose isn't working for you.”

Darkchocolate · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen): “As much as I don’t like taking medications (I just feel like it’s not good for your kidneys and it’s not natural), I suffer from very painful period cramps every month. I tried using other remedies but TBH none of them work (even for weed). I normally feel very weak on my first day of period and I almost can’t feel any blood in my limbs. Pain killers like advil works well and I felt like I was normal again. Would recommend it.”

rezoonicz · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2015

“I am having a severe dysmenorrhea each and every of my menstrual days. That's why I tried ibuprofen, specifically Advil, as it was also suggested by my friends. But before I took this, I consulted my doctor. He gave me specific dosages. Now, my menstrual cramps are gone.”

Khemi January 14, 2017

“Poor! Obviously a male must've been the person the person behind the making of these tablets because they are poor! Too mild. When a woman takes painkillers for menstrual pains, it means they don't want to feel anything! But these tabs don't eradicate the pain like other regular pains do. In face, nurofen plus is far much better than the one for menstrual pains. I just think this was another way to expand their product line in the market to increase their customer base and profits! Nurofen guys, relook at it please!”

Nitzan · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 17, 2018

“For my period I’m taking usually between 400-500 mg of ibuprofen and it usually helps. I take it after I eat. Works between 15-30 minutes and stays for 6-8 hours. Highly recommend. Also found in liquid medicine if (like me) you can’t take pills. I am highly overweight and 500mg is usually enough . Not recommended taking more than 1800mg if I remember correctly a day.”

Trs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 17, 2019

Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula (ibuprofen): “I've had dehabilitating period pain since I started my periods at 11 years old. I get weak and have painful cramps, can't function. Feels like having a miscarriage every time. Taking 800mg ibuprofen doesn't touch my pain. Midol is the only thing that helps. Until I was recently put on the generic form of mobic. This has been a high relief for me. I started at 11 years old, and am 43 now. I don't like taking it everyday, but it was prescribed for arthritis and has been a life saver!!!”

Shanta · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

Ibu-Tab (ibuprofen): “This is my first time in a while taking this. I usually stick to naproxens but I wanted to go a diff route. So far so good I'm having slight pain but not as bad as before. Fingers, eyes, legs, arms toes are all crossed . .hoping this works thru out my day :*)”

FeFe77 August 17, 2014

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen): “I suffer with endometriosis. Due to this the pain is brutal. I have tried most everything under the sun for relief. I highly recommend ADVIL LIQ-GELS, for fast relief with little stomach upset.”

Anonymous November 11, 2019

“Doesnt work at all for severe cramps :(((”

kay1234 · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 14, 2018

“Will not my help brutal menstrual cramps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Kissy456 July 9, 2016

Motrin IB (ibuprofen): “I have taken midol, Advil, but none compare to Motrin IB. It worked within the first five minutes of me taking it. Great for instant relief, and last quite a while.”

Ann May 9, 2019

“I have horrible period cramps and I take ibuprofen every five hours or so for around two days when my cramps are intense and it really works. I couldn't live without it.”

Anonymous August 18, 2011

Motrin (ibuprofen): “It worked fast.”

Anonymous July 24, 2009

Motrin (ibuprofen): “Works within 5-10 minutes of taking one 200 mg pill. It lasts for up to 6 hours.”

Jay0987 January 22, 2018

Motrin IB (ibuprofen): “Works within half hour but wears off within 4.”

Queen_Dean · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

“I use ibuprofen when my period gets heavy And when I have cramps It’s makes it less (That what my dad told me he is a pharmacist:) )”

Learn more about Period Pain