User Reviews for Ibuprofen (Page 2)

Also known as: Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Advil Liqui-Gels, Advil Children's, Addaprin, Motrin Childrens, Nuprin, Children's Motrin, Proprinal, Advil Migraine, Midol IB, Childrens Ibuprofen Berry, Caldolor, Advil Infant's Concentrated Drops, Advil Film-Coated, Genpril, IBU-200, A-G Profen, Advil Junior Strength, Midol Maximum Strength Cramp Formula Actiprofen Motrin Migraine Pain PediaCare Infants' IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer PediaCare Children's IB Ibuprofen Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer Motrin Junior Strength Motrin Infant Drops NeoProfen Help I Have An Aching Body Children's ElixSure IB Cap-Profen Motrin Pediatric …show all brand names

Ibuprofen has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 192 ratings on Drugs.com. 64% of those users who reviewed Ibuprofen reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Pain
Plantar Fasciitis
Summary of Ibuprofen reviews 7.4 192 reviews

Reviews for Ibuprofen

PMcFee · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2017

For Sciatica: “Extra strength (400 mg) liqui-gels are the only thing that seems to help with my sciatica. They do more than the Lyrica, delayed release naproxen, Tylenol 2's, and Extra Strength Tylenols combined. I take a high dose but do not want to take narcotics and I have to be able to leave a half-way normal life.”

Anonymous October 7, 2011

For Period Pain: “Ibuprofen is wonderful for period pain, takes an hour to work and I take 2 x 200mg tablets every 8 hours. Have been taking ibuprofen for a few years now and it's always done the job so far, until this week that is. I was admitted to hospital with an immune system that almost shut down because of a reaction to ibuprofen. I consider myself very lucky that I did a routine blood test and found out this information, was told to stop taking the medicine immediately. Please be careful even if you've taken this medicine on a number of other occasions as I have done.”

smoore002 May 9, 2008

Advil (ibuprofen) for Fever: “Works great to reduce fever. For pains caused by fever I recommend taking 400mg of Ibuprofen (Advil) with 1000mg of Acetaminophen (Tylenol.) The two work well with each other and are safe to use together.”

hazchem November 14, 2017

For Toothache: “Had it recommended by the chemist rather than codeine I didn't think anything worked for a toothache but ibuprofen worked for me 2 tabs for start then 1 when it wares off about 6 hours, while waiting for the dentist appointment.”

hihihi · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2018

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen) for Period Pain: “I have awful menstrual pain, and if I don't do anything about it, I lie in bed all day, vomiting and writhing in pain. Advil liquid gels are the only medication that totally relieve my pain, and it does so within minutes!!! Without advil liquid gels, I wouldn't be able to function, and would need to take time off work. Thank you advil liquid gels, you are my saviour!!!”

haplitz · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 8, 2020

For Period Pain: “800 mg ibuprofen, AN ACTUAL LIFESAVER for my period pain. I have detrimental pain each time my period comes, to the point where it arouses fear in me. Ibuprofen really helps, takes minutes for relief. I'm extremely dependent though and usually take 1 or 2 a day, for the first 4 days of my period.”

Asax April 25, 2020

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen) for Period Pain: “I've had extremely painful menstrual cramps since I started my period. After having it checked and prescribed many different pain relievers by doctors, I finally tried Advil liqui-gel capsules and its definitely the only one that's worked. Mind you the cramps were so bad I couldn't move from the bed for the first 2 days, vomiting, couldn't get sleep and back pain. This has become a lot less now for the past 3 months since I've been taking liqui-gels.”

Alexa January 12, 2020

Advil (ibuprofen) for Headache: “I get frequent headaches. By frequent, I mean I’ll get at least one every day. I’ve tried a lot of pain relief methods, but not one method or medicine has worked the way Advil has. Advil is a godsend. I’ve been using it when needed for years now. It’s truly the work of the heavens. It clears up my headache in a half hour maximum. For me, I get no side effects that others talk about (nausea, queasiness, diarrhea, etc.) and it works perfectly. I truly couldn’t imagine a more perfect medicine for pain and fever relief in my life. I recommend this medicine and nothing else for pain.”

Roeb · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2017

Advil (ibuprofen) for Back Pain: “I bought the New Advil minis and they stink, They did nothing for my back pain as the originals did. I took 2 gels at once and they usually work right away, but these minis did nothing. I don't believe there is 200mg in each one as they say. Why change something that works, they lost my business..I hope others test it and let everyone know if they worked for them.”

Grampus · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2017

For Frozen Shoulder: “I've found that taking ibuprofen (200 mg) several times daily reduces the shoulder and upper arm pain (both shoulders) and permits more flexibility. The length of time that its effect lasts is perhaps five or six hours at most...not quite long enough to get a full night's comfortable sleep.”

jacscorp226 August 21, 2011

For Pain: “Ibuprofen 600/ or 800 is a great pain reliever. Although I've taken many pain medicines over the years, ibuprofen I find to be just as effective as the strong control substances. It's a good anti-inflammatory too. Works great for severe menstrual cramps and tooth pain as well.”

Anonymous October 4, 2009

For Pain: “Tried everything to help with toothache over the weekend. Had to ring NHS Direct Dental and they suggested trying Ibuprofen. Thank God they did !!! Within half hour was able to function again without the pain. Would recommend to anyone suffering toothache.”

patcee14 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2018

For Sciatica: “I have been taking ibuprofen and gabapentin for two months. I have decided to take just ibuprofen because of the side effects of gabapentin, but I am leary of the reports of heart attacks from ibuprofen. Anyone with information on this?”

BE · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

For Sciatica: “I have mild sciatica pain from time to time but after picking up my 25 pound granddaughter during a recent visit, and pulling a muscle in my hip, I developed sciatica so painful I literally could not sit down. My doctor suggested ice and heat and an Advil regimen. I started taking two Advil three times a day (200 mg tablets) and did this for six days. The pain just didn’t diminish. My doctor then prescribed a muscle relaxer so I started taking it while continuing with the Advil. Still no real improvement. I decided to stop the Advil as my son-in-law told me it was not good to take too much of it for a lengthy time. Well, after 24 hours of not taking the Advil I felt so much better!! I’m able to actually sit in a chair with no pain! I don’t know if the Advil was interfering with the muscle relaxer (baclofen) or whether it simply had not ever worked for me and I didn’t realize it.”

onelove salvia · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2019

For Period Pain: “IMPORTANT: TAKE ANY PAINKILLER THE DAY BEFORE EXPECTED CRAMPS!!! I have found all pain medication to be much more likely to be effective this way. If pain already exists, it doesnt normally seem to do much of anything. I just suffer in agony for hours, sometimes on and off all day long due to severe symptoms. I don't know why that would be, but there you have it. Even hours after taking any painkiller, I tend to feel little to no relief if I havent pre-dosed.”

Anonymous March 7, 2012

Advil (ibuprofen) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I'm starting to have pain in 2 of my fingers on my right hand, and I know that my family history has arthritis, so by taking 800mgs of Advil, it seems to take away the pain. I also found that putting heat on it, helps the pain also.”

LowD · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2017

For Sciatica: “I have been an avid user of ibuprofen until this month 6/2017. It worked wonders for my sciatic nerve pain until it stopped working and seemed to make my pain worse. I found out I had an extreme vitamin D deficiency of 9 (normal range 30-100). I started reading about the side effects and found I had several of them to include elevated liver enzymes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. The ibuprofen that I thought was helping actually depleted my vitamin D which is in a case study for my age group 47 and long term use of anti inflammatorys is been known to deplete vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency can be cause by long term use of ibuprofen and can cause muscle and bone pain.”

Ibuprofen caused Depression · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2018

For Muscle Pain: “I gave it 5 stars only because it really did help me with my pain from pleurisy. I take one 800mg tablet every 6 hours when it flares up. But with long term usage (sometimes my flare ups last two weeks) I have noticed that I have felt extreme depression. Almost to the point where I see no reason to continue on. I didn't realize it was the medicine until someone else shared their story of ibuprofen with me. It had also made them depressed. So I immediately stopped taking it and within a few days was back to my old self. So moral of the story is that if you need to take ibuprofen please make sure you are doing it under a doctors supervision. Depression is not fun especially when you are in pain.”

Dunn May 10, 2009

Advil Liqui-Gels (ibuprofen) for Pain: “I was suffering from severe body pain, muscle ache due to severe exhaustion after a tiring day at work. Came home, had some dinner and took one Advil-liquid gel (with food works best for me), and when I wake up in the morning, it's almost like what was I complaining about? I was back at the gym working out.”

efan78 · Taken for 10 years or more May 1, 2014

For Pain: “Ibuprofen was my default pain relief early in my experience with Ankylosing Spondylitis. It reduced inflammation and made the pain, discomfort and stiffness more manageable. I did experience some side effects (constipation, followed by diarrhea due to the blockage, stomach pains etc., but the pain management helped to make it bearable. I managed on it for over 10 years before my fusion made the pain worse.”

Darchick · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2017

Advil (ibuprofen) for Headache: “I used to take Advil for headaches years ago. I must have taken a lot of it, because I had many headaches. It worked great at the time. Now I have micro colitis which can be caused from taking to much of this NSAIDS. I really wish Google was around back in the day when I was popping all those Advil! I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in now with my stomach problems!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2018

Advil (ibuprofen) for Pain: “Tried using Advil pm due to fibromyalgia pain and wasn't able to sleep. However I probably would have slept better if I didn't take anything because not only did it not help me sleep it failed to take any of the slightest pain away”

Steppney February 23, 2016

For Pain: “I took 600 MG of this medication for a mild to moderate knee sprain, and it made it tolerable to bear weight. It reduces inflammation, which is good for minor injuries. I would highly recommend this for short term use, as it's over the counter and not sedating. It works pretty fast, too.”

Kahli · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2016

For Period Pain: “Have taken this tablet on 2 different occasions. Both times does not work for periods. I have horrible pains and i feel that this tablet does nothing at all. Id recommend something stronger for those who dont get mild cramps.”

thebrogo September 25, 2016

For Temporomandibular Joint Disorder: “Wow. Started to get some major symptoms of TMJ this morning. I've never had to deal with it until today. The ibuprofen (Advil) did an amazing job at reducing the pain and discomfort. Granted, any medication that deals with TMJ helps temporarily and the root cause will need to be addressed. I believe that since my night guard got bent slightly and that I grind my teeth, the possible change in bite with the night-guard and overall grinding contributed. Having the dentist readjust my mouth guard should help do the job. A warm compress also helped me as well.”