User Reviews for Esomeprazole

Also known as: Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV

Esomeprazole has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 192 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Esomeprazole reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

NSAID-Induced Gastric Ulcer 10.0
Barrett's Esophagus 8.4
Summary of Esomeprazole reviews 6.8 192 reviews

Reviews for Esomeprazole

Leeanne November 11, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Beware of their marketing scam. I called the phone number on their marketing add on tv. I asked for a trial and the person said I would be charged a shipping fee of $7.95 . I said that was fine . They charged me $7.95 on Oct. 4th. On Oct 21st. I was charged $119.90. I did not receive the product until Oct. 30th. I called nexium and complained about the charge. They said, “I needed to call 14 days after trying the product to cancel the agreement”, I was not aware of any agreement because I only asked for a trial, and besides, I received the product 9 days after I was charged $119.90. How was it possible for me to try the product in 14 days to cancel the agreement that was not explained to me. They charged me even before I was able to try the product. Nexium did not work. I took it for 3 nights and stayed up all 3 nights! This is really a scam and I am disputing it.”

Anonymous November 9, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed esomeprazole for acid reflux. I've taken 1 and my stomach feels as if its being pulled out. Burning and aching all night. Headache and just feeling really rough. Worst drug I've ever taken. Will never take it again I'd sooner have reflux than the pain and discomfort of that drug.”

Etk60 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2020

For GERD: “I had been on another PPI, my insurance would NOT cover it, so my gastro Dr changed me to Nexium. It worked ok from another pharmaceutical company. When I received my 90 day refill they changed pharmaceuticals to Camber. Unfortunately, things went south. Within a week of taken it, I noticed different changes, nausea, no appetite and sore throat. I continued taken for 3 weeks and then issues became really bad. I called my gastro and ENT Drs, got into see my ENT and I developed ulcerated laryngitis and ulcers through my esophagus and duodenum (confirmed by tests). Unable to take this Camber esomeprazole product, perhaps some quality control should be done.”

Mo October 26, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “I have tried other PPIs all have bad side effects. Nexium is ok with no side effects until now however different makes from different countries make the drug not always effective.”

Mister F · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 15, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “I was given Nexium 40mg two years ago after a diagnosis of a mild esophagitis. Since then I've been taking it on and off when symptoms return (mainly at the turn of the season). Sure it does help with the acid, but at what price!! I'm just 27 and have always been a sporty guy, but since taking the drug I have developed a chronic back pain, shoulder pain and various tendinitis that are taking ages to heal. I don't know if the PPI has caused all these issues or if it the gastritis, but after doing some research I believe there is a connection with the drug. In addition I'm getting constantly sick (flue, sore throat, cold) like my immune system has gone crazy...”

Almagor · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have been on Nexium 40 mg for several years. It has been the most helpful medication for GERD that I have taken and I have no side effects and I get no heartburn as long as I follow a GERD diet,”

Dan August 26, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis: “It is wonderful for your stomach. I was on it for 23 years, after two I started to have what the doctor called panic attacks. Blah blah blah, tests and psychiatrist later, nexium removes the magnesium out of your bones. Magnesium controls release of muscles, heartbeat, swallowing, I had become severely hypo (low) magnesium and no one ever caught it on a test until the last seizure. The guy in the ambulance who had seen me before said there’s something really wrong. When we got to the hospital I heard them argue with the nurse about magnesium not being in a panel, make sure you check his magnesium, the phlebotomist said, it is in a panel. It was not, 23 years of hypo magnesium and a two dollar lab test, I googled it, side effects, severe hypo magnesium. What a nightmare !!!”

domingue · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

For GERD: “This esomeprazole was not the best still had breakthrough heartburn with it . Not the worst but surely not the best .”

PlantWaterer · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2020

For GERD: “I have tried many different medications for persistent heartburn and GERD for the last 20 or so years. Started with Tagamet (cimetidine), which helped, but not consistently. Switched to Prilosec (omeprazole) 40mg/day about 10 years ago. Also inconsistent (and I follow an anti-GERD diet out of necessity, and still suffered from sometimes debilitating heartburn and related digestive issues. When Nexium finally went generic (it was just too expensive before) I switched to that, taking two 40mg capsules/day, and it changed my life. This is a very high dose but I was completely desperate for relief, which I got within days. I never get flareups since starting on it, so for me it’s a wonder drug. I’m also well aware of the controversy around PPI’s, but luckily I have not suffered any side effects and take B12 and iron supplements, in addition to a multivitamin daily. I hope to eventually come down to one capsule/day instead of two, but for now that’s what works best.”

lplp May 27, 2020

For GERD: “Its my 5th day using Nexium for my GERD. The effects were great in treating my heartburn but just this morning, my skin began to feel itchy, the muscles on my arms, legs and shoulder began to ache and weak. I just contact my doctor to confirm if it was good or not. I hope this could heal immediately.”

Micha · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 12, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I was prescribed the generic brand if Nexium, it worked once I was taking properly. I thought I could stop after a while but I would truly not be able to eat or sleep thru the nite if I was not taking this pill. Though I take daily on rare occasion I have an episode of running to bathroom to throw up at nite. I have noticed no side effects and have been talking for a year or a little longer.”

Lilly April 14, 2020

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: “H pylori diagnosed 2018. Tried ersomeprazole the worst of side effects were a significant deterioration of cognitive functions and palpitations. GP prescribed Fortisip drinks and being tired of these too. Tried omeprazole, lansoprazole and rabeprazole with same side effects. My lifestyle has changed radically from an active to a passive and strictly limited choices. Blended food and housebound. Had an endoscopy/ biopsy and different courses of antibiotics given and suspended because of traumatic side effects. Tried probiotics/probiotics and any other possible natural treatment and no improvement. Sleeplessness has become a major issue. Is any other remedies for H pylori considering that I am allergic to most of antibiotics?”

Kire · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2020

For GERD: “I started taking this drug for what I think is GERD, as I could not get a doctors appointment to get my prescription for omeprazole, after 3 days I decided never again would I take the drug . Terrible constipation, stomach pain, chest pain, head aches and feeling tired all the time. Morale of the story, wait to get an appointment...”

M2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I  have been on Nexium for a few months (almost 4 months) then I stopped taking it without medical advice. Although it can help reduce the acidity of stomach, however, its side effects are very annoying: I was feeling stomach cramps all day and constipation was a must no matter how much water you drink. I had a weird feeling of melancholy for no apparent reason and dark thoughts and self-flagellation, especially the time when I wake up in the morning. After I stopped taking Nexium, my psychology has immediately recovered in a few days and felt that was a nightmare.”

Shoe Queen · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I suffered for years with GERD and hiatus hernia. Ten years ago I was prescribed Nexium 40 mg which worked, Then reduced to 20 mg. After four years my Ferritin levels dropped to between 5 and seven and now are at level 2 !!! I had reduced B12/ B6 and Vitamin D . Finally I have osteoporosis because of lack of Vitamin D . All because Nexium blocks these from being absorbed into the bloodstream -Nexium is available over the counter without a prescription here in the UK and as such I continued to take it ! Nexium has side effects that are dangerous and life threatening - there are many ways to treat GERD without taking Nexium. Nexium will drain your body of all the required nutrients and vitamins needed for a healthy life and will block B12 absorption . NEXIUM is dangerous and should be available only on prescription for short term relief only .”

ND1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Gave me a terrible headache everyday and leg cramps. So glad my doctor took me off of it.”

sally February 25, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have been on Nexium for a number of years. After eating too much fiber I got my stomach irritated. The Doctor put me on 40 mg of Nexium instead of the 20 mg that I had taken. Well, the 40 mg caused my blood pressure to go up and my heart to race. Will not take the 40 mg anymore.”

Milmil4248 · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “Was prescribed for acid reflux / indigestion. Originally tried Prilosec and Pepcid complete which made me feel slightly better however not enough. After a day of taking it almost all my symptoms were gone except for a slight tightness in chest from the acid reflux. My suggestion for anybody taking this where their symptoms are pretty severe is to take it once in the morning and then eat breakfast an hour after and during lunch and dinner (Or eating something was red meat or spicy or acidly) I would take a Pepcid complete also (which can be taken twice a day) and then if necessary then taking another esomeprazole at night before bed but in my experience that was never necessary. There is also a 80mg dose if symptoms don’t improve. The only thing worth mentioning is that it can make any other medication your taking last a bit longer because esomeprazole makes it take longer to digest.”

Yoshi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I feel much better, thanks to this website. I have been on Nexium for 2 months and started to develop brain fog, dizziness and involuntary muscle twitches. I am glad to read I'm not the only one. I will be weaning myself off of this medication. Great for acid but not worth it. Thanks!”

Kekkie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 20, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have been on Nexium for four years for GERD and just recently stopped. I have recently come to realize that Nexium is no longer helping me and instead is creating whole other set of problems such as low B12, intermittent low iron, upset stomach, dizziness, rash, etc. Now with studies showing dementia as another possible side effect, it's a drug I wouldn't recommend anyone be on. Honestly, do yourself a favor - if you have GERD like me, change your diet, exercise a bit more, don't eat after six, and have a tums for heartburn instead of using this garbage. Plus, a three-month supply is $442.00 where I live. NEVER again. Big pharma is just a crime.”

Robertson · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

For GERD: “The best medication no acid reflux middle of the night works wonder”

Never again · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “I have used nexium on and off for several years. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until yesterday. My reaction to this drug has been horrific. Chest pain, anxiety, numb swollen tongue, arm and leg bone pain, bloating. I need to find a better solution because this drug is dangerous for me.”

Bazza · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “I've been suffering with Barrett's for years. Tried Omeprazole, anti-acid tablets etc. On Boxing Day last year I belched for 10 hours straight. There was a sulphur taste. I picked up a box of Nexium in a supermarket. Within a day I was a lot better. Only used five tablets in the pack. I've slept really well since then and only have a small amount of reflux. My quality of life has improved because of Nexium.”

molly · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

For GERD: “I have been taking the generic of nexium for about 10 years, every day, and have had no problems what so ever, but I take no other meds. I am 77 yrs old. Hope this helps others, if they are wondering if they can do this.”

EDSuscMOM · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole) for GERD: “Ill with GERD for years, unknowingly. Sore throat, itchy ears, no energy. An ear, nose throat specialist recognized the symptoms in 10 min. Was on Priolesec for 3 months. Started to have stomach ache. I switched to Nexium 24 hour slow release - great. Month 7, am down to only 3x per week and regulate on diet of the day. However, I do take with Greek Yogurt and am on a restrictive diet by choice. Yogurt, 3 tbs per meal. soothes tummy. if one does not follow a GERD diet, no medication will help. GERD diets are available online and very helpful. Lifestyle change is positive / significant. I am thankful for Nexium 24 hour slow release.”