User Reviews for Esomeprazole to treat Barrett's Esophagus

Also known as: Nexium, Nexium 24HR, Nexium IV

Esomeprazole has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 21 ratings for the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus. 76% of those users who reviewed Esomeprazole reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Esomeprazole Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus.

Reviews for Esomeprazole

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more May 7, 2021

“I have taken Esomeprazole (generic for Nexium) for Barrett's for 15 years and it has been a life saver. No side effects of any kind. My GP warns me to stop but my Gastro Physician says to continue. I will continue to take this life altering medication.”

Bazza · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I've been suffering with Barrett's for years. Tried Omeprazole, anti-acid tablets etc. On Boxing Day last year I belched for 10 hours straight. There was a sulphur taste. I picked up a box of Nexium in a supermarket. Within a day I was a lot better. Only used five tablets in the pack. I've slept really well since then and only have a small amount of reflux. My quality of life has improved because of Nexium.”

Hsp · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 18, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole): “When I first started taking nexium for Barrett’s esophagus everything seemed fine. Then after having a gastric bleed, which they found cancer cells, I went through 6 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments. The good news is the cancers gone. But during that time the doctor doubled my dose of nexium to 80 mg. I take it as 40mg twice a day. So after 6 months of nexium treatment, I mysteriously had a spine fracture, recurrent sinus infections, severe stomach pain and inflammation. I couldn’t figure out what was happening, so I researched nexium and found it can weaken the bones and cause spine fractures, also contribute to stomach distress and sinus headaches and so many others things it’s hard to even imagine. Now I know why the FDA has put out so many warnings about this drug. My question is why don’t they ban it. I’m seeing my doctor about getting off this horrible drug”

Anonymous June 4, 2010

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I was diagnosed with Barrett's about 3 years ago and went on Nexium. I take 1 x 40mg pill a day. A year ago I had a gastroscopy and my Barrett's was gone. I will continue to have a scopy every two years to monitor it. I will probably be on it forever. I have no side effects from taking it either.”

Anonymous February 15, 2012

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I had been taking Nexium for about the last 10 years. While taking it, I had no problems at all. Prior to taking Nexium, I had difficulties with acid reflux even from something so simple as eating a slice of bread.”

Megala57 January 2, 2011

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I have been on Nexium for at least 3-4 years. It did take a change in medicine to two pills a day, but I have not changed my diet like I should have. Nexium cured my Barrett's and I am on a 2 year endoscopy check now so I love it.”

Elgrodo May 20, 2014

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I have taken Nexium for over 12 years. I have had a low Magnesium problem for 10 years and severe dry mouth for 3 years. My Doctor wants me to continue with Nexium but I cannot continue. The Mag problem is very serious and I have had emergency doses of Mag to get my levels back up. The dry mouth is causing me to have numerous Dental problems. I really have to quit Nexium.”

Nina2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2016

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I've been on Nexium, 40 mg, one per day for about 4 years. I don't really watch my diet like I should but I've had no issues at all, never any throat burn like I had prior to Nexium. I do have Barrett's and should be more careful about foods I eat but I don't eat a lot of anything, that helps. I do drink coffee sometimes, tomato based sauces, etc. I don't seem to have side effects from Nexium.”

grasshopper · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 5, 2013

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I was on Nexium for more than 4 years and the Barrett's esophagus that I have has been stable. I believe that Nexium has healing properties, but change in diet has to come with it. My husband's insurance now refuses to pay for it because it is supposedly for short term. ”

Carol · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2018

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I’ve had Barretts Esophagus for ten years & of all the meds prescribed, Nexium for Barretts Esophagus has been only one that saves me from horrible acid reflux. When insurance refused to pay any longer I attempted to treat my disease myself with many supplements for GERD. I ended up with severely inflamed esophagus and a related stricture the Dr dilated at time of endoscopy. He informed me I must return to Nexium with no substitutes indefinitely as it is protecting me from getting cancer of the esophagus due to having Barretts. The inflammation healed right away once I was back on Nexium.”

Klepanga March 27, 2016

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Used Nexium for over 14 years. You need to stop taking this medication or any acid reducer medication 3 days before use of any antibiotics. IF you do not then you can get a infection that is quit dangerous called Clostridia Difficile or C. Diff which gives you diarrhea and paralyzed colon! The bacteria eats away at the lining of the Large Intestine until you bleed out, have diarrhea, and colon cancer and/or polyps! Use only for 3 days and stay off until you start having symptoms again; then use it again for 3 days, (72 hours) as that is how long your colon needs to regenerate! STOP! Then repeat! If you have trouble sleeping use Benadryl intermittently!”

BruceA1234567 November 10, 2014

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Prior use of prescription Prevacid did not provide relief for 24 hrs. 1/day 40mg Nexium provides about 30 hr no acid sensations. My only side effect of Nexium is my stool usually has the consistency of peanut butter.”

Smittie · Taken for 10 years or more November 10, 2016

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I've taken One Nexium 40mg for 13 years . It has been very helpful. Could only eat baby food when diagnosed. When my health insurance said I had to use the Generic Brand I tried it for five days, began having very bad episodes of heart burn. They have agreed to pay for the name brand.”

Toby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 6, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Diagnosed w/ Barrett's 10 months ago and on 20 mg Nexium once daily per MD. Barrett's less than 1 cm. Have changed to plant based diet. Some constipation issues but can be tolerated. Also have osteopenia and just finished Fosamax. Next endoscopy in August. Hopefully Nexium dosage is sufficient. Consuming protein, potassium, vit D & K, calcium plus exercise for my bones so I hope this helps.”

Silverfoxx June 17, 2013

“Been taking Nexium 40 mg for ten years for Barrett's Esophagus. I have tried all the other proton pump inhibitor's on the market and nothing works as well. Even though my insurance will not cover it, I pay out of pocket because it's that good. No side effects at all. Best taken upon wake up 30 mins prior to any food intake. I also take a 75 mg Zantac at bedtime to insure no reflux while sleeping. Perfect combination. I have absolutely no issues and a stable endoscopy throughout my course of treatment. Hope this helps.”

Sis · Taken for 10 years or more July 21, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole): “I was prescribed nexium 40mg for 30 years ago and 9 years ago ranitidine to be used in conjunction nexium morning and ranitidine 40 mg at night. When Aust gov took Nexium off PBS I was prescribed Salpraz 40 mg. I have been taking this in conjunction with ranitidine for two weeks and have had severe reflux 4 or 5 times and moderate reflux about 7 times, in the past I had only suffered moderate reflux once or twice a month. I am a pensioner and can not afford to buy nexium over the counter”

Koppie · Taken for 10 years or more February 2, 2019

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Been on Nexium 40mg per day for 14 yrs. No side effects and reflux is well controlled”

fritzburger · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2013

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Constipation the worst on this medication.”

Anonymous April 21, 2010

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Became very constipated on this medication.”

Cowy October 10, 2016

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Side effects are horrible. Fatigue,dizziness,foggy head,aching muscles & burning toes.”

Garfielduk · Taken for 10 years or more March 17, 2015

Nexium (esomeprazole): “On Nexium for 15 years”

Shitty · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 11, 2015

Nexium (esomeprazole): “Severe constipation”

Learn more about Barrett's Esophagus