Diclofenac Patient Tips
Medically reviewed on Aug 20, 2018 by C. Fookes, BPharm.
How it works
- Diclofenac helps to relieve pain and inflammation by blocking the effects of cyclooxygenase (COX) enzymes. This prevents prostaglandin synthesis (prostaglandins elevate body temperature and make nerve endings more sensitive to pain transmission).
- Diclofenac belongs to a class of medicines known as NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Used to relieve mild-to-moderate acute pain associated with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- May also be used to relieve mild-to-moderate pain due to other causes.
- Generic diclofenac is available.
If you are between the ages of 18 and 60, take no other medication or have no other medical conditions, side effects you are more likely to experience include:
- Stomach-related side effects such as indigestion, belching, heartburn, and bleeding. People of an older age, taking other medicines that affect the stomach, or who drink more than 3 glasses of alcohol per day may be more at risk. Diclofenac is more likely than ibuprofen to cause stomach-related side effects.
- Water retention, headache, constipation, and nausea.
- Other side effects including tinnitus (ringing in the ears) have also been reported.
- Most NSAIDs have been associated with an increased risk of serious cardiovascular events including stroke or heart attack. The risk may be higher in patients with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions and with higher dosages. Diclofenac may be associated with a higher risk compared with other NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen.
- May increase bleeding time especially if given with other medicines that also delay blood clotting.
- May not be suitable for some people including those with kidney disease, a history of stomach ulcers or other gastrointestinal disorders, or with pre-existing cardiovascular disease. Should not be given during or following coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
- May interact with some other medicines such as warfarin, SSRIs, ACE inhibitors, and diuretics.
Notes: In general, seniors or children, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver or kidney problems, heart disease, diabetes, seizures) or people who take other medications are more at risk of developing a wider range of side effects. For a complete list of all side effects, click here.
- Different formulations of diclofenac may not be equivalent; do not interchange products without first talking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- May make your skin more sensitive to the sun; wear sunblock SPF 30-50+ when outside; see a doctor as soon as possible if you develop a skin rash.
- Should not be taken for for long periods of time, especially in seniors.
- Blood counts and liver enzymes may need monitoring periodically.
- NSAIDs should not be used in the last 3 months of pregnancy; always ask your doctor before using any medication during pregnancy.
- If you have experienced asthma-like symptoms, developed hives (urticaria) or other allergic-type reactions in the past after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs (like ibuprofen), do not take diclofenac.
- Combining diclofenac with alcohol may increase the risk of stomach ulcers or bleeding.
Response and Effectiveness
- Time to peak effect varies from 30 minutes to 3-5 hours depending on the formulation of diclofenac taken.
Diclofenac [Package Insert] Revised 07/2017. Carlsbad Technology, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/diclofenac.html
More about diclofenac
- Diclofenac Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 451 Reviews
- Drug class: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Diclofenac Capsules
- Diclofenac Immediate-Release Tablets
- Diclofenac Injection
- Diclofenac Long-Acting Tablets
- ... +3 more
Related treatment guides
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use diclofenac only for the indication prescribed.
Copyright 1996-2018 Drugs.com. Revision Date: 2018-08-20 03:22:17