Why is diclofenac only available on prescription but ibuprofen can be bought over the counter?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2020.
Is there a big difference between them?
Ibuprofen is not as potent as diclofenac and is a safer choice for the general public, hence the decision to restrict the availability of diclofenac. If ibuprofen is ineffective then you should see your doctor for something stronger.
Both diclofenac and ibuprofen are available in various strengths.
In the USA only the lower strength tablet ibuprofen 200mg is available over the counter (OTC), the 400mg and 600mg tablets are prescription medicines.
Diclofenac is only available by prescription in the USA but in some countries a lower dose 25mg tablet is available OTC. A 25mg diclofenac tablet used to be available OTC in the USA but was withdrawn because of safety and efficacy reasons.
Both ibuprofen and diclofenac are in a group of drugs called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). They work by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.
Diclofenac is also available OTC in the USA (and in many other countries) as a topical gel under the brand name Voltaren Arthritis Pain (diclofenac sodium topical gel, 1%). The gel is used for the temporary relief of arthritis pain in the hand, wrist, elbow, foot, ankle or knee in adults 18 years and older.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Aleve vs Ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- What's the best sore throat medicine to use?
- What's the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Naproxen vs ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Is ibuprofen (Advil) a blood thinner?
- Acetaminophen vs ibuprofen: What is the difference?
- What is the best way to reduce swelling in your face?
- I just took 800 mg ibuprofen and 30 mg of prednisone. Is that going to be ok?
- Is it safe to take Ibuprofen (Advil) with acetaminophen (Tylenol)?
- Can you take ibuprofen with antibiotics?
- How long do I wait after taking 400 mg ibuprofen to take 15 mg of meloxicam?
- How often can you take ibuprofen?
- Can NSAIDs be used to treat a COVID-19 fever?