How often can you take ibuprofen?
What is the maximum amount you can take?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 10, 2020.
A healthy adult can take ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours. The maximum amount of ibuprofen for adults is 800 milligrams per dose or 3200 mg per day (4 maximum doses of 800 mg every 6 hours).
However, use only the smallest amount of ibuprofen (Advil) needed to get relief from your pain, swelling, or fever.
Take ibuprofen with food or milk to lessen stomach upset.
See also: https://www.drugs.com/dosage/ibuprofen.html
Related Medical Questions
- Can you take Ibuprofen if you have COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Meloxicam vs Ibuprofen, what's the difference?
- Aleve vs Ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- What's the best sore throat medicine to use?
- What is the difference between aspirin and ibuprofen?
- Naproxen vs ibuprofen: What's the difference?
- Is ibuprofen (Advil) a blood thinner?
- Ibuprofen Information for Consumers
- Ibuprofen Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Ibuprofen (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Ibuprofen (202 questions, 209 members)