User Reviews for Trintellix

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Trintellix.

Trintellix Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Trintellix to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"Trintellix has really made a difference in my life. I have terrible depression. I was suicidal and even slit my wrists because I felt hopeless. My doctor gave me this new medicine and I have been taking it for about 4 weeks now. I am not suicidal anymore. I love my life. I even have more energy now and my anxiety seems to have magically disappeared. I can actually have conversations with people and look at them in the eye. Only thing is, I have gained about 5 lbs. But other than that, this is great!"

Lynnnnete (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When started- slight upset stomach, moderate constipation. 6 weeks into it- constipation I’m eating a cup of fruit and drinking 2 cups of warm tea for breakfast. Takes care of the constipation. After 20 years of depression and anxiety I want to tell anyone reading this that healthy eating and exercise are your best bet. Medication only helps. Rated Trintillex a 7. It got me back to where I need to be, but as with most medications it comes with side effects."

Nickname already in use (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Two months on Trintellix. Amazing results. I had some stomach pain and headache at the first week. But with time, it all went away. Now, I am at enjoying relief from major depression. It is great. I had depression to the point I could not walk anymore and I gained over 40 pounds in one year. It is time to get in shape again. I am 100% happy and got my life back. Thanks Trintellix!!!"

milo405 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Life changing experience. I have been on many different medications on and off over the years, and trintellix is honestly the only thing that worked for me. Pros: I was able to eat again! My depression and anxiety had caused me to lose over 30 pounds in just a few months, and I looked sickly. After 2 weeks on trintellix, I got my appetite back. My anxiety reduced, but didn't fully subside. I had Xanax for emergencies when trintellix couldn't control my anxiety. I was still able to feel emotions, and never had sexual dysfunction. It helped me get my sleeping back on track, and I was able to establish a normal sleep schedule. Cons: Cost, thank goodness my doctor had a lot of samples becaue I could not afford the monthly cost every month."

Mistee1 November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had sudden large amounts of projectile vomiting the 5 weeks I was on this med. Other untoward side effects include headache, eye pain, visual changes, emotionally labile, very anxious, depressed, very tired, no energy, racing thoughts."

Roryanne November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the ONLY antidepressant that has A) worked for me and B) not caused weight gain. Yes, its expensive. Yes, it causes horrible nausea for the first few weeks. I've been on it for several months now, and unfortunately I still get slightly nauseous every morning when I take (with or without food). But its been completely worth it for me. My depression no longer controls my life or causes me to miss work or school. My advice: try it if you can afford it. Soldier through the initial week or so of nausea. Give it a chance and it might just be your miracle drug - it was for me. Mild nausea for 20 minutes every morning is a small price to pay for an antidepressant that truly works. 9/10 only due to price and nausea."

Frankie91 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I avoided this medication because of fear of the side effects reported, especially nausea. However have been taking for about 10 days now at 10mg with no serious side effects and no noticeable nausea yet. Definitely for me the AD that interferes least with concentration. We all react differently to these medications but I have been pleasantly surprised so far."

Anonj (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on anti-depressants for 20 years, trying more than I can remember. Was on Cymbalta for 8 years, but it quit working for me. Depression was my biggest problem when I was younger, but now anxiety seems to be the bigger problem. Been on Trintellix for 2 weeks now (first week 5mg; second week 10mg). The side effects I can handle are nausea and headaches. The ones I can’t handle are feeling high as a kite everyday, brain on warp speed and can’t focus or concentrate. The absolute worst side effects are high blood pressure and ITCHING!! I cannot stop itching! My skin is ripped apart all over my whole body, and my skin feels about 100 degrees constantly! The itching is driving my insane. Seeing psychiatrist next week. I need help w/this!"

ItchyandScratchy (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I usually have awful side effects from antidepressants, but did not have any with this one. So far Trintillex is the only antidepressant I have been able to tolerate. It allows me to function. I actually sing sometimes which was so rare for me. I cannot live without it. Unfortunately, it is expensive (even with insurance). I would give it a 10, but I have to pay so much money each month to get it."

MDD Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If you have been struggling with unsuccessful medications for years, you need to go get genetic testing. Do it. This is a fairly recent development which I just found out about two months ago, after taking various medications for depression and anxiety for 15 years. My genetic test results indicate that I have 4 gene mutations that make the use of SSRIs and SNRIs ineffective. And of course, those are the medications I have been taking since the onset of my depression. So I am making the switch to Trintellix. Too early to say if this will be the right medication for me, but it is a comfort to know I am at least now working with my genetics instead of against them. Genetic testing is not the silver bullet, but it is valuable data. Do it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Trintellix 5mg for about three weeks and going to increase to 10mg tomorrow. The first week, I got stomach pain, but not nausea. The second week I got diarrhea for 4 days and then I started to have headaches + panic attack in the evening. I take Xanax for that. I was diagnosed with atypical depression after several tests to rule out other illnesses. It took me about a year and I got more fatigued that I could barely walk. I was constantly hungry, used to wake up in the middle of the night, and had constant thoughts that I couldn't get rid of. My depression was triggered by prolonged school anxiety, I tried Zoloft and Cipralex but they gave me bad side effects. Trintellix is slowly increasing my energy and mood."

Gazz October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication made my depression worse. I couldn’t even get out of bed to take care of my little one and when I did get out of bed I would just lay on the couch like a zombie. I barely ate and gained 20 pounds. I’ve been on this for 3 months now and my doctor won’t take me off of it. It’s ruining my life and my relationship with my family"

Willjay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on 5 mg for one week. I immediately noticed my anxiety spike. I called my doctor. He said continue with the medication and take more xanax. I moved up to 10 mg on week two and my anxiety got even worse. I began taking more xanax to combat the increased anxiety and it is making me sick. Now I'm more depressed because the anxiety is crippling me. I am going back to my doctor tomorrow to discuss options. I have tried a number of medications recently all with poor results. Nothing has made my anxiety spike as high as Trintellix though. So far the anxiety and some sour stomach are the only side effects I've experienced. I should probably get off this medication but do not know if I can withstand another medication change."

JJ120 October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on trintellix for over a year. I don't think it is the best medication I have been on (I have tried several), but it certainly helps. I do experience side effects if I miss a dose, especially for longer than 48 hours. I usually get very headachey and itchy, everywhere. Maybe this is a good sign, as it indicates maybe it does something. I don't feel very drastic, life-altering relief, but I do believe that if I weren't taking it, things would be much worse. I don't think you feel the support it provides in a strong way, but in a more subtle, long-term way."

stayinalive (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me this has been the worse medicine in the world. I took it four days and thought I would be crazy. I hate going to the hospital but I couldn't handle it any longer. Wow I felt so depressed, so sad, terrible but my friend told me stop this medicine and drink hot tea black tea. I did four times wow I felt another person ,"

NILDA Sendra September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on various medications such as Lexapro, Zoloft, and most recently Pristiq for two years, which worked wonders but I was no longer getting full benefits. So I asked my doctor if we could try something new. He recommended Trintellix. The first time I started taking it, my stomach hurt, like bloating, so I stopped and continued with the Pristiq. Went back to Dr and he told me to slowly ween off Pristiq while taking small dosage of Trintelix to give my body time to adjust. 1/2 Pristiq and 1/2 5mg Trintelix for 1wk, then 1/2 Pristiq every other day, and 5mg Trintelix for one week, then no pristiq and 7.5mg Trintelix for one week, and finally to goal of 10mg Trintelix. This worked much better and reduced the stomach aches."

SKato1 September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication helped a little in the beginning, but then made me worse over time. With each increase dose the doctor insisted I'd start feeling better. By the time we got to 15 mg, I wasn't sleeping, I was having peripheral hallucinations, and emotional outbursts. I tried to tell my psychiatrist, but he seemed too invested in keeping his patients on this med. So I went to see my primary, who knows me well. I was an emotional wreck. I told him I had already dosed the med back down to 10 mg. He told me to come off the drug and gave me something for sleep. Perhaps there are people this med really helps, but it made everything in my life so much worse. So I fired my psychiatrist and will be seeing a new one soon"

Sushi33 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Trintellix 20 mg x 10 months, 53-year-old female with long-standing, chronic MDD & anxiety since pre-teen years. Been on far too many antidepressants over the decades to list them all here. Been hospitalized a number of times & in my 30's, resorted to ECT as a last resort, which did absolutely nothing. My psychiatrist says my MDD is very treatment-resistant. Antidepressants, even in high doses, or combined, have no effect. But I do believe for once in my life, the Trintellix is making some difference for the better in me; hasn't been a "miracle" drug, but it does help! No nausea or side effects, either! Also on Xanax, trazodone for sleep, & 10 mg Adderall daily."

Tracy1124 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Lexapro for depression and anxiety for over 10 years-beginning in my early 40's. I have tried to change to other medications without success. But, I had the side effects on Lexapro of tiredness, lack of energy, and apathy. Maybe related to those side effects, but I believe also separately, I gained a lot of weight since I started the medicine. The trintellix is the first medicine that not is working on my mood and anxiety and my energy and get up and go has returned. I feel 20 years younger! For the past 6 weeks, I have taken 10 mg of Trinellix, while titration slowly down on my Lexapro (had been at 30 mg for years). I was less than hopeful, but am so thrilled to have this successs finally. I do have some stomach upset-not ba"

ozzycookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible drug. Was so nauseated every day for 6 weeks until switched to zoloft or prozac."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not allergic to anything except this drug. It made my body turn red, was painful, and gave me bumps all over my body that looked like measles which lasted for months before going away. I only took this medication for 3 days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed 10 mg, but used a pill cutter to cut the pills in half to start the treatment slowly. Of note, I was off of Citalopram for 6 weeks prior to starting this new medication. After taking the first dose, I awoke the next day with heightened ringing in my ears (aka tinnitus). I took the dose at night and felt hungry after doing so. After only 6 days, and consulting my pdoc, I stopped dosing as the tinnitus did not stop and I'm concerned about damaging my hearing. 6 days after taking the last dose, I'm still experiencing nausea, general malaise, and the tinnitus is still there. The drug has a long half life. I had high hopes for this medication, and am really disappointed. I have to see an ENT about the tinnitus as well."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe depression and have been on Trintellix for a month. At first, the nausea and vomiting were awful. My doctor gave me promethizine, but that didn't help. A medication that did work is Zofran, and it works like a charm for the nausea. It completely stops it. I take Trintellix in afternoon and about an hour later, Zofran. No more nausea; I am so relieved. However, I thought Trintellix would help my depression more. I seem to be more anxious. I am prescribed Valium 5 mg. up to once a day, but I rarely used to take it. Now I am so anxious that I have to take it. I was so hopeful, and now I'm so disappointed that Trintellix is not working as expected. Does anyone have any suggestions for another anti-depressant?"

Dreamer528 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on pretty much every antidepressant. SSRI's do nothing for my depression. The only other medication that helped was Wellbutrin, but I stopped that due to not being able to sleep at all. I started on 5 mg then increased to 10 mg 2 weeks later. It has helped my depression the most and I have more energy. The side effects are what make me hate taking this. I've experienced nausea, vomiting, constipation, and decreased sexual desire. The worst though is the nausea. I'm nauseous every time I take it, doesn't matter if I eat with it or not. If I don't eat before I take it then I vomit. This medication is also expensive, it's not covered by my insurance."

AshN101 August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on just about every antidepressant out there. I have even had 38 treatments of electro convulsive therapy. Lamictal a mood stabilizer and klonopin have been the best for me. Prozac had the least side effects for me and I liked it. But Dr. Suggested trintellix. Would have to say it is the worst antidepressant I have ever been on. The first night I took it within an hour I vomited 3 times. And then I got a horrible migraine. I never throw up!!! I rather be depressed than ever take trintellix again. I think it works because you are too sick to think about being sad!"

Female 37 (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2017