User Reviews for Sucralfate (Page 3)

Also known as: Carafate

Stomatitis 4.0
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 6.6 149 reviews

Reviews for Sucralfate

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2019

For GERD: “I would say 6 out of ten of these pills swell up in my throat making it next to impossible to get it down then I start to panic and wind up choking it out I hate these pills”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “Dr prescribed Sucralfate for my chronic indigestion, stomach pain, ulcer and constant bloating. Yes it a task to manage taking this RX and scheduling intake of your meds but I take my medication either at night or after I wake up. Then wait the hour. Yes the pill is large but it dissolve in water. I'm surprised that no instruction on how to take was given by the pharmacy for some of the people prescribe this med. Yes. Some people may not be able to take this medication but for the most part a larger percent of people can. I feel 100% better taking this med.”

JK · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I had an allergic reaction to my immunotherapy, which caused stomach acid pain. I’ve been taking this 4x a day. It helps to take it as soon as you wake up. I get ready for the day, and by the time I’m ready to eat it’s been the 1 hour. Then two hours after that meal, I take another one... I feel like it’s helping to settle my stomach acid.”

Hatethisdrug · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

For GERD: “Horrific!!!! I took one sucralfate pill, which is very large. The doctor did not tell me how to take nor did the pharmacist. I put it in my mouth took a swig of water and swallowed and it immediately got stuck in my esophagus and turned into a powder, very dry powder. It was like taking a fistful of cinnamon and inhaling it. I aspirated, choked and couldn't breathe for many minutes. Worst experience of my life and to this day I think it affected many things after that. Horrible drug!!!”

Barb August 14, 2019

For GERD: “Was prescribed carafate after ER admission for dysphasia (difficulty swallowing) Endoscopy revealed Schatzki's Ring and esophagitis. My insurance does not cover liquid version. I crush mine and put minimal amount of applesauce on spoon to coat my esophagus before I swallow....do not eat or drink anything for 1 hr... is it still helping?”

OmaPatty August 5, 2019

For GERD: “This med is impossible to take , especially if you have several other prescriptions since they don’t absorb and work properly when the carafate coats your stomach. Get up at 8, take my HB and other meds, wait one hour to take the carafate, take the carafate at 9, wait two hours, eat breakfast at 11. Can’t fit in lunch and dinner. Insomnia, Lightheaded and slight nausea the first two weeks but I continued to take it since many times your body adjusts and side effects pass. Yesterday morning I took it and within 20 min the dizziness set in , an hour later the room was spinning and I was vomiting and dry heaving the rest of the day. Could not walk or stand up. Husband had to carry me to bathroom. Worst feeling I’ve EVER had. Still dizzy today but better. No more for me.”

Rilie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I’ve been taking this sucralfate pill 4x a day for about a month now for stomach ulcer. It is definitely a choking hazard, especially for someone like me who can’t take pills very well. It get stuck in my throat easily, but the best way to get it down, I find, is if you take a sip of water. Hold it in your mouth and tilt your head back. Put your fingers in so the pill aligns right with your throat hole and let it go. It slides down much easier. I haven’t choked on it once since I started doing it this way. Hope this helps someone :)”

Barb · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I recently started taking Sucralfate This pill is not convenient. I take it 4 times a day and it has to be taken an hour before eating! It is a choking hazard so I cut it in half. Causes insomnia!! Not a fan if this medication.”

busymiommy00 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 12, 2019

For GERD: “Works well for GERD but I agree with the other posters about the choking hazard with the tablets! I will now dissolve in water as I have also read. I almost choked on one tonight!!”

Dianne · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “As with many others, this pill is a choking hazard. I have found that slathering it in butter is the only way to get the pill down. You really have to push it to the back of your throat otherwise it gets stuck and your doomed. I have also been experiencing severe double vision. I am presently off the pill to see if this resolves this issue. I did find a few other comments of others with eye problems, which is good to know. I just wish I could find an indication for how long this actually stays in your system once stopping.”

Me July 4, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “Been taking sucralfate for 2 days now. 10 out of 10. Taking it for an ulcer/gastritis. When I wake up in morning the pain is going but as soon as an hour passes after taking this I can feel the moment it gets to my problem area. Relief is pretty rapid from there. And I can eat!! Which is awesome. It is a rather large pill but if you can do an ibuprofen 800 then you can do this one. I didn't find it getting stuck or anything like that just take a good gulp of water. Doctor said this makes a barrier between your insides and the things you put in there.”

Carl · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

“About 10 days ago I went to the ER because I was regurgitating the food or drink I had. I wouldn’t even call it vomiting because I could taste the acid and the food would come up from the slightest burp. My chest was burning and aching; stomach felt like a hot feeling. I’ve been on liquid form of sucralfate since at a dose of 4x a day 5ml plus Prevacid twice a day. It’s helped a lot. Some days I’ll have nausea but that could’ve been because I ate something I shouldn’t have. The only side effect I’ve been having is it seems to be affecting my asthma. I’ve been coughing my head off. Hoping it’s an unrelated condition that will go away because the medicine has helped me a lot otherwise. Best of luck to everyone.”

JesseJames · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2019

For GERD: “Sucralfate works great for me. If I have a severe acid indigestion attack, this medication works almost immediately to quell the acid. I like that I only have to take it when I need to, instead of all the time.”

PJenny · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2019

For GERD: “This pill flakes and crumbles as soon as I get a sip of water in my mouth, making it difficult and painful to swallow. I've choked on it several times, and even threw up today. (I didn't throw up the pill, though--it was still stuck in my throat!) I called my pharmacy and they recommended crushing the pill and mixing it with some applesauce--I'm gonna guess not too much, though, since you're supposed to take this med on an empty stomach. But one or two spoonfuls may be better than choking, or not being able to take the med at all. Good luck if you take it! I can't say how well it's working because my condition was not causing any pain.”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2019

For GERD: “I didn’t even try to swallow the pill. But it will dissolve in a half mouth full of water quickly and can be swallowed easily that way. Doesn’t taste that bad and my doctor said this is an okay way to take it”

5GrlzMom · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was diagnosed with ulcers and hiatal hernia after an upper endoscopy, and prescribed this medicine. It helps the burning in my stomach, however I’ve noticed every time I take it within minutes my right temple and over my right eye I get a stabbing pain! Feels like someone is driving an ice pick in my eye.”

lwilli01 · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “If you're like me and the pill get stuck in your throat - ask for the liquid version. It's super expensive but shop around for the best price. The pills are choking hazards! The liquid is great and it has a pleasant taste.”

Lori · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I've just started taking it but - it GETS STUCK IN YOUR THROAT AND WILL NOT GO DOWN. Oh, what a horrible feeling. I've only taken it for 2 days but just can't do it anymore and I've tried everything. I see from this site there is a liquid form - I'm asking for that! BE CAREFUL swallowing this pill!!!!”

Kalea · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer: “I was diagnosed with a very large ulcer about 2 months ago. My Dr. prescribed the liquid carafate for the first few weeks, but it is extremely expensive. They then prescribed the pill form. This medication has helped so much with my stomach pain and bloating! However, I have had issues with choking on the pill. I don't know why, I have taken pills a lot larger than this one and have no issues. Be careful when taking this pill, I have ended up getting sick because of it lodging in my throat and causing me to choke.”

tigreyes · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 4, 2019

For GERD: “This pill can be very dangerous. I saw the reviews before I took it & I took it for 6 days. Last night when I went to take it & I always cut the pill in half because the pharmacy said you can. The pill did not dissolve & it got stuck in my throat & I could not get air or water in to get it down. Lucky my husband was home & gave me the Heimlich maneuver. He had a hard time with me. I almost died & if he wasn't there I would have. I will not be taking this pill anymore.”

theoandgracesmomma · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I am a 19 year old and I have had an ulcer since May of 2018. I took sucralfate off and on for probably about 5 months now. I took the liquid for about 2 months. For me, I had a lot of issues with the liquid. I couldn’t handle the taste and the powder feeling of it. I also barely had time to eat considering I had to take it 4x a day and couldn’t eat for 2-3 hours before and 1 hour after. I’ve recently started taking the pill form 2x a day and it’s helping a little more. I have had an upset stomach all the time while taking both medications but with the liquid form I felt dizzy way more often. So far with the pill form, I have had more of an appetite and I have been eating bigger portions. I’m really hoping this pill form helps more with my stomach pain from my ulcer. Personally, I would go with the pill form rather than the liquid.”

LadyFarts · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer: “I have been having such bad acid reflux and diarrhea so I went to the doc and he pushed on my stomach and said I had inflammation or something in my stomach. He gave me Carafate and told me to also take prilosec every day. The pains in my stomach don't come as often now and my poop is solid but my throat is almost constantly burning. I don't know if it is because of the medicine or what it is. The pill is almost impossible to swallow without choking and my insurance doesn't cover the liquid. The eating rules are the hardest part though. I am constantly hungry and tired because I can only eat at very specific times due to having to take it 4 times a day. I hate this medication.”

CMc · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Got relief from the burning in my stomach. But, horrible headache and insomnia. Couldn’t sleep more than 1 hour . Had to stop by the second day!”

bae January 8, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “After my 1st dose my body had a warm sensation then after that I became so nauseous. Then I became very fatigued so I had to stop taking it...I became very sick to my stomach”

Ambs · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Found out I have a stomach ulcer and hiatal hernia. Doctor prescribed me carafate and it’s day two and I feel like I am feeling worse. My head is pounding it hurts so bad my throat feels dry and slightly swollen and I feel extremely dizzy and weak.. I’m hoping this will wear off and when I get my swallow test done it will help reduce my anxiety. I just need to feel better I am scared to go back to work feeling like this.”