User Reviews for Sucralfate (Page 6)

Also known as: Carafate

Stomatitis 4.0
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 6.6 149 reviews

Reviews for Sucralfate

tellitlikeitis · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking.”

Life Saver! · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 19, 2015

For GERD: “In January 2014, I was diagnosed (after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy) with Acid Reflux and severe IBS. They put me on the usual PPI inhibitors and acid reducers. Two months later, I was in the ER with severe gastritis. The doctor ultimately concluded that some of the erosive spots in my stomach had turned into a stress ulcer (I'm a PhD student). He prescribed sucraflate. I cannot express enough gratitude in being prescribed this. After taking it for about three months, I was almost GERD, Ulcer, IBS free. So, I stopped taking it. For about 8 months I was fine, but some of my symptoms have started to reappear. Again, as soon as I took the sucraflate, I had almost immediate relief! If nothing works, take Sucraflate.”

B040289 February 9, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD.”

HaPenny · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2015

For Duodenal Ulcer: “Immediate relief! I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer 14 months ago. A few months of antacids and it healed, but all of my symptoms recurred 4 months ago. My gastro said I had gastritis and gave me antacids again but they didn't do much at all: still burping all the time (waking 3-4 times/night to burp myself like a baby), stomach tenderness from swelling, faux hunger pangs, nausea. The very first sucralfate pill stopped all of that. I take it 3x/day an hour before meals, which is my prescription for the next 3 months. Also: I have an eating disorder that was constantly triggered by the fake feeling of hunger from my sore stomach. Since starting on this medication, my disorder is easier to manage.”

aprilbelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2014

For Duodenal Ulcer: “The sucrlafate has helped so much thank you.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer: “I tore ligaments in my ankle and was taking Motrin for about 6 weeks, I developed ulcers in my stomach. I couldn't eat and was severely nauseated for days. After a 10lb weight loss I decided to go to the ER. Carafate was prescribed and after the 3rd dose I felt so much better. I get a really dry mouth because of the Carafate, no constipation though.”

SmokyMtnLady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months.”

Shaunaj · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks.”

Nisei · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer: “I'm on Sucralfate now for over a month but my problems seem to come and go so I can't say it's really working (yet). Also, my stool is sometimes dark green which had me worried. The only place I'm reading about this side effect is here so I hope it's the medicine that's causing it.”

Gearth · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2012

For GERD: “This medication is a must have for all with severe GERD. I have had major problems with GERD for the past 20 years. After having my gallbladder removed proton pump inhibitors stopped working, this is very common after gallbladder surgery as the bile is now in the stomach instead of being stored in the gallbladder. Sucralfate 3x a day is working wonders. If it's helping me it should help most anyone”

Anonymous April 5, 2012

For Stomach Ulcer: “Worked well for stomach ulcer but did not heal on its own. Needed the additional Nexium to reduce the acid. The combination works better than sucralfate by itself.”

tammykee March 20, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not.”

Anonymous February 18, 2012

“To all those with horrible skin reactions: ***The suspension contains red dye, which makes my throat close rapidly and causes skin reactions. Consider asking your doctor to switch you to the pill version (there is one by TEVA with no coloring at all.). So far this seems to be calming both reflux and pain.”

Anonymous February 13, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed.”

Anonymous February 9, 2012

“I had to stop after 10 days due to a rash all over my body. Hope after it goes away I can start on it again and use 2 a day instead of 4. I am on 2 Prevacid and 2 Zantac also. It worked great and for a week I was in heaven.”

Anonymous June 9, 2011

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis: “I was in much discomfort; pain, burning. Felt like I had something caught in my throat. These symptoms all came back just after an Endoscope. We called the Doctor and he prescribed Carafate Suspension. The "fire" was put out immediately. It was so good to feel "NORMAL" again.”

Miss Heath December 14, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning.”

wnbck April 5, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down. ”

YarnCrazy March 1, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch.”

mfirebrand1 January 28, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I have Barrett's Disease. This helps the pain somewhat but doesn't make me feel well or have an appetite. Maybe not compatible with other medicines. ”

Anonymous December 12, 2009

For GERD: “I was given this when my esophagus was closing due to reflux. It allowed the tissue to heal and the swelling to go down. I had no side effects and have continued to use this drug to protect against problems in the future because I do still have reflux disease.”

Anonymous September 1, 2009

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “It takes a long time to be effective. Don't be surprised that it may take 2 bottles (at 30day supply/ bottle) to get results. Condition will slowly improve. It usually is taken 4 times daily. Easier to do 1 hour before meals than 3 hours after. My schedule 6:30 am, 11 am, 4 pm and then before bed. Be sure to have FULL (8 - 10oz.) glass of water. Otherwise blue pill will cause stool to be DARK GREEN.”

pattyrabbit May 6, 2009

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I have intense pain along bottom of ribs and this is the second round of Carafate. It has not helped at all. Still in pain. No side effects from taking it though.”

ldebe March 9, 2009

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I have had pains in my upper abdomen at the center right edge of my ribs, the pain radiates into my back and we are looking to find why. An endoscopy found a little ulcer so they did a biopsy just in case and we are also doing other tests. Anyway I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea.”