User Reviews for Sucralfate

Stomatitis 4.0
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 6.7 144 reviews

Reviews for Sucralfate

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “Amazingly good results with the Carafate liquid. I was BLESSED to find an MD who actually listened to me both as an inpatient and subsequently an office patient. He has continued my liquid. I have to say I wish the price was lower BUT if I have to choose between paying more and suffering less, I'll figure out how to pay more.”

Daverss · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

For Duodenal Ulcer: “I have (getting better, so the Dr, says ) I have Duodenal Ulcer , Gastritis , re-flux, I been taking this sucralfate 2 X a day since March 11 2020 and for me it's worked slowly but has helped I guess along with a diet change. But 'STRESS' is my major issue, back to Sucralfate for me timing of dosing is the hardest part. Now 4 + months in I have very light brown stools ..hmmmm? It does not relieve my pain , it seems to make it worse sometimes , all in all it's been effective along with other changes , P.S. Not super hard to swallow but you got to get it down fast cause it will start to dissolve immediately . Best Wishes everyone.”

NicaULuv2H8 July 25, 2020

For GERD: “Always dissolve these sucralfate pills in a little cup of water before you take it. Took Sucralfate 1GM, twice a day for 2 months and this is the first pill I have ever taken for GERD and gastritis that actually works! I no longer have DAILY burning in my chest, stomach, back and mouth. I still have GERD, gastritis and hiatal hernia symptoms, but not as bad as it was. For months my stomach and chest burned, no matter what I ate or didn't eat, and no matter what time of day it was! It was so bad I even went to the E.R., convinced I was having a heart attack... It was hell! I tried Famotidine and it didn't relieve or help my GERD, and Omeprazole gave me a bunch of nasty, side-effects, including some of the worst stomach cramps and diarrhea I've ever had! This pill did give me pain in my legs and arms and even stomach aches on occasion, but it actually works, so the good outweighed the bad. Highly recommend it!”

TW47 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was in the hospital for a bronchial issue and was on several high powered antibiotics that caused horrible stomach issues. I was given sulcrafate for ulcers and it helped immediately. I took it once a day before bedtime for about two months. Shortly after I'd take it, I'd get blurry vision. I stopped taking it when the prescription I had ran out. After a couple of days of not taking it, I developed excruciating and unexplainable back pain that I've now had for three months.”

SophieSweetAndSour June 9, 2020

For GERD: “I started taking this about two months ago, I had major stomach issues constantly puking not keeping anything down so much so that it caused some damage, anyway they put me on sucralfate I crush it up put it in my water drink it (which it’s really gross like drinking baby powder) and wait an hour or two before eating. My side effects so far are nausea, sore throat and stomach cramp if I don’t eat an hour after taking it. It doesn’t work 100% for me but I’m just grateful I can eat somewhat again even if I’m not completely better. I’m willing to deal with the side effects, what I was going through prior to taking this medication was far worse. I noticed when I stopped taking this medication I start to feel the GERD coming back the burning and the throat spasms. So try out this medication if nothing else is working for you everyone reacts differently”

Teri · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2020

For GERD: “So. I just started sucralfate yesterday I noticed stomach upset, butterfly feeling. Today I was ok dissolved pill in 3 oz water and drank 3 more ounces of water. I noticed a lump feeling in my throat with every dose the lump increased and slight swelling along side of throat, I keep getting heartburn from it as well. I now have a the lump in throat. Dry throat as well. I thought this drug would clear up reflux GERD ulcer. So, I have exhausted my medicines so I am told and do not know what to do.”

Sophia Grace · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

For GERD: “I start taking this after leaving the hospital for severe acid reflex and Hypokalemia. It has help with the constant gagging, I couldn't eat anything with my throat spasming I noticed when I stop taking this medication my throat starts to spasm again. I have a pill crusher I crush the pill and stir it in water my doctor and pharmacist said its fine to do it that way. The only downside are the side effects I've had so far are a bit of a sore throat and nausea. The nausea only lasts an hour then I'm good to go. The sore throat is off and on again, I've tried so many acid reflex pill and my acid reflex is still bad but not as bad as it was when I was in the hospital with the constant throwing up. My chest and throat get real tight after eating this helps a bit with that, I just wish there was a medication that could permanently cure this torture. I'll keep taking this for right now until I speak to my GI.”

Aubs · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “Ive been on this liquid sucralfate med for three weeks symptoms have not gotten better. My sleeps off and I keep getting sick. Says it takes 8 weeks to cure an ulcer.”

MaryEllen Jones · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “Like another reviewer, this was given to me as a "Band-aid" to postpone a badly needed endoscopy, which was cancelled due to the Covid19 crisis. First, this stuff is a MAJOR CHOKING HAZARD, even if pills are split. The instant they hit moist throat tissue they stick like glue. It is recommended that the tablets be crushed and mixed with water if you have this problem. Second, it must be taken on an empty stomach - no food for at least an hour before and an hour after. The problem with this is my stomach hurts the MOST when it is empty, and adding Sucralfate makes it burn even more. If I need a lot of water to get the sticky thing down, I might belch and then my entire esophagus burns. I count the minutes until the hour is up so I can have a glass of milk, which makes me feel better...for about 30minutes. :(”

DP · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

For GERD: “JUST STARTED sucralfate FOR GERD. Working fine. No side effects. No GERD or gas. I prefer to take 1/2 at a time so I have no swallowing issues. Best relief since I stopped protein pump inhibitors (e.g., Nexium), which gave me a full body rash after many years on them.”

“L” · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

For GERD: “I was just prescribed sucralfate yesterday and I can tell you that after the FIRST TWO PILLS I FELT RELIEF!!!! Thank You Jesus. I’ve been suffering going back n forth between docs and ER over the past almost five years with SEVERE CHEST PAINS carrying a heavy heavy heavy weight in my chest. I believe it’s working but the downfall for me is that it offsets my vertigo AND EVEN WORSE FOR ME IS THAT ITS TRIGGERING MY ANXIETY!!!”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2020

For GERD: “I just started Sucralfate recently. I take it one hour before dinner and before bed. I tried many other prescription meds for GERD and none of them really worked very well. I like the way I can sleep at night and I don't have any reflux when I lay down. The only side effect I have noticed is a sore throat soon after I take the medication.”

Samm · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2020

For Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis: “Started taking this sucralfate in addition to 40 mg Nexium x2/ day. The sucralfate drug lessened the burning sensation, but resulted in such extreme feelings of fullness, distended abdomen, and intermittent cramping, that I couldn't even work my way up to the prescribed four times a day. Couldn't get through more than a few days. The resulting discomfort and cramping was unbearable”

Lilley · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2020

For GERD: “I’ve been using sucralfate for about a week now, it has helped majorly with pain in my stomach. I do have the side effects of insomnia (can’t sleep), but anything to make the worse stomach pain in the world go away. I can also finally eat again and it feels amazing to not throw up all day and wondering if you should go back to the hospital. Also the horse pills are very easy to take with applesauce especially cut in half.”

Willa · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed Sucralfate for GERD a couple of weeks ago. I have been careful to take it exactly as instructed. At first, it was fine, but with each successive day, I started to feel more and more nausea, stomach and back pain in the evenings. The stomach pain feels like fullness and trapped gas that you can't get out. Last night it was so bad it kept me up most of the night. I called the doctor this morning and she advised stopping the Sucralfate to see if it's the issue. From what I've read troublesome side effects with Sucralfate are rare, but when they do happen, it's the same kind of stomach pain and back pain that I've had, so maybe I just don't tolerate this drug well.”

sam February 26, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “Diagnosed with fairly large stomach ulcer. Prescribed sucralfate liquid, 10mg every 4 hours. Also prescribed omeprazole 40 mg 2X daily. After being on sucralfate for 7 days, experienced severe pain in left jaw that radiated down neck into left tear shoulder blade. Went to ER, cause for pain was determined to be possible heart attack. Was monitored for blood pressure, EKG, X-ray of chest area & blood panel taken. Pain subsided and all tests did not determine any stroke, heart problems, respiratory problems, etc. Suggested that I could have had an intense muscle spasm, but to causation was determined. I have continued with sucralfate at a lessor dosage. I am periodically experiencing joint/muscle pain, but the ulcer pain is unbearable without this medication.”

Ulcersuckandihatethem · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “I took sucralfate for my stomach ulcer for about a week. Had slight insomnia, headaches and nausea. But it really helped with the burning pain from the ulcer. I could eat so I was happy. But then all of a sudden I started getting crazy back pain. An intense burning and tight feeling in my chest and back whenever I would try and bend forward, move my neck, or even take a breath. Love the instant ulcer relief. Hate the side effects!”

Shells · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “Three years ago I had my gallbladder removed. That was the start of daily stomach aches, nausea (Bile reflux gastritis). I have a really good gastroenterologist who put me on several meds until we finally settled with sucralfate. I've been on it for 10 months and love it. Yes there are still some aches but nothing like before. I give it a 10!”

PD · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

For GERD: “I have used this drug for flare ups of GERD for 20 yrs which may occur as far apart as a year or more. For one thing, it is safe unlike other prescribed meds for this condition. I have never had any side effects and after a week or 10 days of usage along with watching my diet carefully, I am completely back to normal. As a rule, I am careful about my diet anyway, and the GERD only occurs when I have had a period of abuse—mainly eating too much of any kind of high fat or greasy food (like during holidays) Carafate is also effective if it is taken before or after a meal that you think may affect you negatively.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “I am a week in to Sucralfate, not sure if I feel differently in a good way. I’m still getting bad pains and painful bloating to the point where I feel my stomach is going to burst. Not to mention it’s a huge inconvenience to take 3x a day, 1 hour before eating, I have 3 other meds that I have to take at all different times because of Sucralfate which is super hard because I am not an early bird whatsoever. Every time I take the pill I immediately feel sick to my stomach and it makes me not want to eat, 8/10 times I can’t eat after my first dose. I always feel really awful until over an hour later my body feels fine, yet I don’t see the pill improving my ulcer complications.”

Selinus · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed this as sort of a band aid while waiting to see if I had an ulcer. Went through a lot of medications and ended up being prescribed this one. Before my heartburn would be bad enough to always cause nausea and sometimes vomiting. This made it worse. The first night I took it, it did work, but my stomach felt very full and bloated. The next night was the same, but that morning I vomited it all up painfully. I stopped taking it that day. I want to say too, none of the three doctors I spoke to believed me and denied this was a side effect. Be aware this might happen. 0/10 would not do again.”

MH · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “Yes you can make “slurry” by putting pill in a bit of water.”

MsB · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I was given this medication to take prior to knowing if I had a ulcer and endoscopy. It gave me insomnia after a week usage. Will not be taking it anymore.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “This medicine has given me the blues. I’m sleepy, dizzy, my vertigo is slightly active, I’m having heart palpitations in my sleep and anxiety throughout the day. I already suffered from anxiety but the fact that the meds cause you to have insomnia that’s not good for me. Needless to say I’m not talking anymore pills bcuz every time I do I feel terrible. I just want this out of my system!!”

Rash December 29, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was taking this drug sucralfate for a stomach ulcer and it was working then I started swelling, I got hives in places that never should be seen. Rash that took over my entire body. A major take over. I stopped taking it and had to to go get stronger antibiotics and antihistamine. Benadryl would not even come close.”