User Reviews for Sucralfate

Also known as: Carafate

Learn more about Sucralfate.

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis 1 reviews 28 medications

Stomach Ulcer 18 reviews 106 medications

6.4
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 55 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Sucralfate

For GERD: "I've been on Carafate liquid for awhile now. I've gone through several bottles at least. It helps the burning for my acid reflux; however, don't know if I have an ulcer or not. Doctors say I don't, but I don't know. It does help with the burning though. I love carafate, but I eventually want to stop taking it and not have anymore reflux ever."

Rockin Dude (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I took the pill (awful to swallow) form for about 2 1/2 months...(per a pharmacist- I dissolved it in about an ounce of cold water, stir and chug it then drink about 8ounces of cold water.). They dissolve it about ten seconds and have a nasty chalky taste but it has healed my gastritis which was extremely painful. It started helping in about a week but took two months altogether to heal. The side effects were nausea, back and neck pain, constipation.... lost weight because I was so sick before I started taking it. Good luck everyone."

Aqua1954 July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "The pill form is much more affordable than the liquid Sucralfate. I place the pill in a large spoon then add a small amount of water. The pill dissolves quickly and is easy to swallow. Not unpleasant at all."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "I had an (undiagnosed) bleeding ulcer (from gastric bypass surgery). Doctor prescribed the liquid form, but $500 for the liquid?? The pharmacist kindly told the pill form is $4. Ugh, I hate this stuff! I am supposed to take it 4 times a day, but it starts dissolving the moment it hits the back of my throat... Its like tasting nasty sand! The coughing fits almost get painful, and then it feels like it i'explodes' in my stomach- so I can forget eating for the next 3-4 hours. Ugh. Seems I have a choice (my 'pouch' is still very small 5 months out), take this OR have room for hydration OR food, not all of the above, am asking my doc tomorrow about it..."

Tallbearish June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I'm taking this after a cardiac ablation procedure for 30 days . Of which a complication can be esophageal damage (erosion, ulceration, or perforation) which is why I have to take this. Anyway I'm not one to have problems swallowing a pill, but OMG this pill HURTS to swallow. It is big and it gets stuck in the esophogus. I cut them in half and it helps, but still not easy. Now what I do is let it dissolve in my mouth and then swallow. There is not taste. However, if you do that, make sure you let it dissolve completely or you'll fell VERY sharp edges, like glass, as the pill is dissolving. I don't know why this pill is like this, but another reviewer on here said something similar so it's not just me. Good luck."

Ronnie V June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was prescribed this with protonix after having intense pain from gastritis. I can't really tell if it's helping. My doctor said the stomach lining is something that takes a while to heal so I guess I will just have to wait and see. I am going back 2 weeks after starting carafate. My stomach hasn't had any major flare ups but some days it definitely hurts and I think I'm having some intense back pain because of the carafate. I've been trying not to take too much advil but I can't even sleep because of the back pain."

dani 94 June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I suffer from acid reflux terribly. Had my gallbladder taken out bc they thought that was the pain I was having. Still years later and same pain. After many antacids they decided to try me on Prevacid 30mg with sulcrafate 4x a day. The first month worked great. I was slightly constipated off and on. Itchy the first day. Started a second month and Dr allowed me to take 3x a day as rules and restrictions for taking sulcrafate are almost impossible 4 x a day. This time I have had diarrhea for the past 3 weeks non stop and felt lightheaded and dizzy. I will be stopping the sulcrafate."

Uneasy stomach June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I take the liquid form of this medicine 10 mL 4 times a day. It helps with GERD and gastroparesis. I started out with the pill version, but I kept having trouble swallowing them and they got stuck in my throat so my doctor was able to get a pre-approval for the liquid Carafate. It works really well and I like that it coats my stomach with all the digestive problems I have. I haven't had any side effects from it, which I am relieved about."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "MAJOR CHOKING HAZARD! I've been taking the pill version, instead of the liquid, for a few months. I literally almost died twice from choking on this pill. What they don't tell you is that as soon as you put the pill in your mouth, and it hits moisture, it swells. Put it in water and watch. Because there's no coating, it's hard to get down. This leads to choking until it starts to dissolve. DO NOT take this while you're alone! Other than that, it works well, lol. Dissolve it in a cup of warm water then chug it. I wouldn't split it in half because it's more likely to get stuck because of the sharp corners."

Melissa502 April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I have persistent ulcers. They heal then a few months later I develop more and it is not h pylori so was taking liquid Carafate. But then insurance changed and what used to cost $10 a bottle is now $70 for 2 weeks so my Dr said dissolve pill in 1 tablespoon of water. Pretty disgusting but also hate not eating or drinking 2 hours before or after. I see some people say 1 hour but my Dr said 2. So darn inconvenient and I'm thirsty all the time. I take many other meds for other issues so I have to keep the meds separated from the Carafate for absorption so I wake up every 2 hours through the night also to take meds. It's making me crazy. 8 weeks til endoscopy to see if healed from THIS ulcer then probably on carafete for life at least 2x a day. I hate it."

Kathy126 April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I have been diagnosed with extreme acid reflux (more to come later on), Approximately 1 1/2 years ago my bad acid went out of control and started to come up in my mouth walking/sitting/laying down. I went to see my gastroenterologist and he sent me off to see a surgeon. The surgeon says I need a operation that amounts to be a gastric bypass. I did not like the diagnosis, About that time my gastroenterologist decided to drop all his medicare patients. I went to another hospital/gastro guy and he wanted me to stop all my ant-acid meds (2 ACIPHEX 2 RANITIDINE and 2 Omeprazole) for a week, After one days I was asking him to allow me to stay on For some reason the site is not allowing me to enter more details."

ps2os2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: "Just started it today"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "For roughly a month I had horrible stomach pain. I have an umbilical hernia and thought it might be a side effect of that, but after laying in bed for the better part of 2 weeks with pain I wouldn't wish on anyone, my husband demanded I go to e.r. After reviewing my CT scan, my family doctor thinks it's an ulcer, although I have not had the camera run down there yet to find out for sure. The e.r. gave me a Carafe script and I would say within a couple of days I was a new person. This drug along with Pantoprazole have all but eliminated my pain, heartburn and reflux!"

Ozzy's Mom December 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "I was given the liquid form of Carafate w/Lidocaine, in the ER yesterday since I have had horrible diarrhea (prior I had normal BM's). I went to the ER with severe upper abdomen pain that came in waves radiating to my back x5 days, not able to eat/drink anything with nausea. I could feel the weight dropping drastically. I was advised (just by speaking to me) by a Doc, that I had an Ulcer. No testing of any kind, e.g, labs, physical exam, urinalysis (as I also complained of severe low back pain that has been debilitating & getting progressively worse, which the 2 may not be related), CT's, etc. I was then given a disgusting liquid (Sucralfate, which I could barely keep down). I was then discharged, diagnosis Gastritis! !"

Help_2016 December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer: "Had Hpylori. Caused very painful ulcer in my upper abdomen. Took 40 mg of omeprazole a day as prescribed by my doc. Still had pain. Within about two days of using carafate I noticed an improvement. Here it is about my 5th week on it and I really feel it has helped me. I am still on omeprazole too. Only side effects I have noted are very occasional dizzy feeling that is short lived, occasional headaches and constipation only a about three times the last several weeks. I do eat high fiber and try to get several fruits and veggies a day as well as I have in increased my water intake. The schedule of 4x a day - 2-3 hrs after a meal and 1 HR before a meal has taken some getting used to BUT it is TOTALLY worth it. I hope to be able to stop soon."

Hpylori Recovery (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "Just decided to check because it dawned on me that it seems when I take the generic brand of carafate, I feel nausea when earlier I did not!"

Anonymous December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Had gastritis for 4 months tried natural supplements, dgl licorice, slippery elm, alkaline diet, Irish Sea Moss, 15 mg Prevacid all worked but went cold turkey on Prevacid when I changed over to Irish Moss and had bad stomach pain. Finally went to doctor after I read about Sucralfate. It worked immediately after first two pills. I take 4 per day and I'm on day 5. I can now eat my full alkaline meal and tried salmon and nut butters for protein with very ittle gas or acid resulting. This drug is a miracle. No more pain after eating. Dizziness only side effect.Stats say it takes about 8 weeks to heal the stomach lining.Natural remedies are good but take a very long time to work. Sucralfate works on pain immediately. It's a Godsend."

Melcarolina (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Try taking this pill with warm water. It helps dissolve it more quickly and it doesn't get stuck."

Nickname already in use October 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Duodenal Ulcer: "After an Endoscopy I was diagnosed with a big Duodenal Ulcer. Not every day was painful & the pain was lower, seemingly different than the symptoms that I had. But increasingly a lot of days the pain was almost intolerable. Healing has been a slow process, but steady. Going into week 4 of taking it there is definite improvement. The pill is big & yes constipation is a problem. But this is easily remedied with extra fiber cereals or bulk fiber taken every day). This medication is without a doubt fantastic stuff. At first I split the big tablet in half & swallowed it in 2 pieces but now whole. I am very thankful for this medication even with its inconveniences. I can tell the ulcer's healing, the pain gets better every day!"

IMAnonymousToo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Duodenal Ulcer: "Very effective for duodenal ulcer flare up. My only criticism is that they dissolve in your mouth before you can swallow any water to wash then down, and I have almost choked on them, which is very scary. The company needs to provide a thicker coating, even if it delays the quick effectiveness. I just coated one with butter and it went down more smoothly, with lots of ice water, but I still felt it hang up in my esophagus which almost made me gag. I think this could be dangerous. The other night it really scared me, as it got stuck on the way down, and I coughed and gagged and drank water but it was stubborn."

bevmeds1 September 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was put on carafate for stomach ulsers.I am also taking two 30 mg. Of prevacid a day. Since starting the carafate my indigestion has come back pretty bad."

Jeanie p I (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I have had acid reflux for over 5 years and was on regular ppi medicine . Doctor prescribed carafate solution for relief from a flare up.. It is the best medicine . I have weaned off myself from ppi slowly and still using carafate once a day at nighttime .. Doctor has prescribed it 4 times a day but for me nighttime works best .. It is bit expensive but My 1 bottle lasts for couple of months . Ppi has lots of side effects but carafate is pretty safe .. Ask your doctor you wont regret it"

Carafate user (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Have inflammation of stomach lining and gerd. Don't swallow tablet, dissolve in half cup of water and follow if needed with cup of water"

Badbelly February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "I was diagnosed with bile reflux and GERD, the doctor prescribed me sucralfate to take 4 times a day and I didn't notice much difference, the only change I really observed was dry mouth. Then I started taking a pill every time my GERD would act up and it makes such a difference. It soothes the burning feeling almost instantly. There are a few minor side effects like dry mouth but it's worth it."

Emily_19 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD: "Hello, i'm new to this drug so am unable to rate it. However, I think the doctor/or pharmacist should put a warning on the label that if you have trouble swallowing, you should dissolve the tablet in water first. Watch the tablet, it actually swells before dissolving and this happens in your mouth and throat, if you swallow the tablet whole. i really feel this pill is a choking hazard and how many people with GERD also have trouble swallowing? Why would a company make a product that is difficult to swallow for people with swallowing issues? I don't get it! & it's the size of a horse pill which increases in size, inside the mouth and throat. Not cool to not place a warning on the label."

Sharisika January 26, 2016