User Reviews for Sucralfate

Also known as: Carafate

Sucralfate has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 173 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Sucralfate reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

GERD
Stomatitis
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 6.4 173 reviews

Reviews for Sucralfate

Songpeddlar May 8, 2021

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was diagnosed with an ulcer. My pain was so bad I literally could not sleep or eat. 8 trips to the ER and finally this great doctor prescribed Carafate. I take the pills. The size and quick dissolve do make it intimidating to take and the four a day is hard to manage sometimes, however, it stopped my pain. I hope to get off it after my ulcer heals. So, I’m changing up my food and eating smaller meals. I also walk three miles a day and it also helps manage my reflux and anxiety. I feel it’s a great medicine. The first time I was on it I got off in a month. My pain returned, but I was also eating bad food. So with dietary changes I feel this will facilitate permanent healing. I have no side -effects.”

Beba · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2021

For GERD: “Sucralfate, DO NOT swallow because it coats your throat as well. When I was taking it I was having dry mouth, dry throat, trouble to swallow anything, dry cough, trouble to chew any solid food, and unable to talk and was so weak. Since I dissolve the medicine in water and is helping much better. It is not easy to be taking this an hour before meal 4 times a day, besides Omeprazole. However, the medicine seems working for stomach. Still having trouble to swallow medicine with capsules. It sticks in my throat, the Gastritis probably constricted my throat. I agree the instruction should written as dissolve the medicine in water. I was cutting into half and swallowed in the beginning ( didn’t know anything), and it was not working still. In my logic, if this medicine coats the stomach, when swallow it, it also coats the throat. Good Luck everyone!”

Nicky April 17, 2021

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I was taking Nexium it didn’t work well so the Dr also put me on Carafate it doesn’t work at all I’ve been on it for almost 8 weeks!!”

Bee · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For GERD: “I just start sucralfate 2 days ago and the first day I took it, it really worked for me. I didn’t have any burning in my stomach . But next night I started getting the burning again. I’m still belchingn and it so tiring none stop. I’ve changed my eating habits and only drink water All of this sucks cause I have to use sucralfate for a week doctor says to see it it will work but I can’t deal with burning and belching same time. I’ve been on so many meds going down the line to see what works for me and so far none .. I really do feel for any one who deals with this , it sucks !!! The GERD has been going on 7 months. Is any one belching also ?”

C · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “This medicine has given me the blues. I’m sleepy, dizzy, my vertigo is slightly active, I’m having heart palpitations in my sleep and anxiety throughout the day. I already suffered from anxiety but the fact that the meds cause you to have insomnia that’s not good for me. Needless to say I’m not talking anymore pills bcuz every time I do I feel terrible. I just want this out of my system!!”

Shells · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “Three years ago I had my gallbladder removed. That was the start of daily stomach aches, nausea (Bile reflux gastritis). I have a really good gastroenterologist who put me on several meds until we finally settled with sucralfate. I've been on it for 10 months and love it. Yes there are still some aches but nothing like before. I give it a 10!”

Sharisika January 26, 2016

For GERD: “Hello, i'm new to this drug so am unable to rate it. However, I think the doctor/or pharmacist should put a warning on the label that if you have trouble swallowing, you should dissolve the tablet in water first. Watch the tablet, it actually swells before dissolving and this happens in your mouth and throat, if you swallow the tablet whole. i really feel this pill is a choking hazard and how many people with GERD also have trouble swallowing? Why would a company make a product that is difficult to swallow for people with swallowing issues? I don't get it! & it's the size of a horse pill which increases in size, inside the mouth and throat. Not cool to not place a warning on the label.”

Puny · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2020

For GERD: “Severe Gerd with acid burning esophagus and near vocal chords. Omprozole stopped working. Near zero acid diet and pantoprozole also not sufficient. Dr said sucralfate would not work right away, however day 1 showed a significant positive effect. I have been sleeping well and my esophagus is healing for 4 nights now. I even slipped with a holiday treat mid day yesterday, which clearly was a mistake. Lots of antacids, alkaline water, and a very conservative dinner, plus the Sucralafate at bedtime was enough! For me, granted only at day 4, this drug is fantastic. I wish all others battling GERD to the point of seeking reviews like this well. Today I feel there is hope. We will see how it performs over time, as Omprozole was working for 9 months...”

Raphael December 18, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Absolutely awful! Even the liquid form if this was garbage. Never took the burn away from my gastritis and like a user said below, it made me feel very very full. I would drink water and would feel absolutely ridiculously full. Seriously thought I had some other condition. It also made me feel very lightheaded and short of breath. Felt as if my blood pressure dropped. Avoid”

PD · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

For GERD: “I have used this drug for flare ups of GERD for 20 yrs which may occur as far apart as a year or more. For one thing, it is safe unlike other prescribed meds for this condition. I have never had any side effects and after a week or 10 days of usage along with watching my diet carefully, I am completely back to normal. As a rule, I am careful about my diet anyway, and the GERD only occurs when I have had a period of abuse—mainly eating too much of any kind of high fat or greasy food (like during holidays) Carafate is also effective if it is taken before or after a meal that you think may affect you negatively.”

NicaULuv2H8 July 25, 2020

For GERD: “Always dissolve these sucralfate pills in a little cup of water before you take it. Took Sucralfate 1GM, twice a day for 2 months and this is the first pill I have ever taken for GERD and gastritis that actually works! I no longer have DAILY burning in my chest, stomach, back and mouth. I still have GERD, gastritis and hiatal hernia symptoms, but not as bad as it was. For months my stomach and chest burned, no matter what I ate or didn't eat, and no matter what time of day it was! It was so bad I even went to the E.R., convinced I was having a heart attack... It was hell! I tried Famotidine and it didn't relieve or help my GERD, and Omeprazole gave me a bunch of nasty, side-effects, including some of the worst stomach cramps and diarrhea I've ever had! This pill did give me pain in my legs and arms and even stomach aches on occasion, but it actually works, so the good outweighed the bad. Highly recommend it!”

Gertie February 3, 2021

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I was put on the brand name of Carafate liquid for mainly GERD. This drug works better than the Prevacid I was taking 2 times a day. I only take the Prevacid once a day now because the Carafate works so good for me. It can be hard to schedule because I have to take both a Iron and Vitamin D. But I finally found the best time to fit those in. My question is....starting this month my Insurance company will no longer pay for the brand name. I tried the generic liquid about a year ago and it had a banana taste to it. All my life I have been unable to even smell bananas without getting nauseated or when I was a kid just the smell and taste made me throw up. The pharmacy tried adding flavors to it...it just tastes like grapes and bananas lol But this year Carafate is not even on the prior approval list. There is no way I can pay for this without insurance. I don't know what to do....has anyone ever switched from the liquid to the pill form and had the same results as the brand name liquid?”

Willa · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed Sucralfate for GERD a couple of weeks ago. I have been careful to take it exactly as instructed. At first, it was fine, but with each successive day, I started to feel more and more nausea, stomach and back pain in the evenings. The stomach pain feels like fullness and trapped gas that you can't get out. Last night it was so bad it kept me up most of the night. I called the doctor this morning and she advised stopping the Sucralfate to see if it's the issue. From what I've read troublesome side effects with Sucralfate are rare, but when they do happen, it's the same kind of stomach pain and back pain that I've had, so maybe I just don't tolerate this drug well.”

SmokyMtnLady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months.”

tellitlikeitis · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking.”

“L” · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

For GERD: “I was just prescribed sucralfate yesterday and I can tell you that after the FIRST TWO PILLS I FELT RELIEF!!!! Thank You Jesus. I’ve been suffering going back n forth between docs and ER over the past almost five years with SEVERE CHEST PAINS carrying a heavy heavy heavy weight in my chest. I believe it’s working but the downfall for me is that it offsets my vertigo AND EVEN WORSE FOR ME IS THAT ITS TRIGGERING MY ANXIETY!!!”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I have taken carafate, as well as Many of my family members. No one has ever had any side effects or bad reactions, even my pregnant sister with severe GERD. I saw on here some people have dizziness and back pain with Carafate. For anyone thinking they might need to take this for their problems give it a try because everyone reacts differently and it may help”

Anonymous June 6, 2018

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I am only 18 years old, unfortunately had to get my gallbladder out in January of 2018. Had to put school on pause because after surgery, the nausea got even worse. I’ve been living off of Zofran and Promethazine for 5 months now- everyday- sometimes twice a day. I have a huge fear of vomiting and will avoid it all costs. I was finally referred to a GI doc and proceeded with an endoscopy- to be told It is very likely I have bile salt gastritis- a complication from gallbladder removal. Was told to start CARAFATE and have had the WORST experience. not only does it make you feel absolutely full, it had reverse effects on me. It was supposed to bind with the bile found in my stomach and relieve me, but it’s actually making me get sick. I feel nauseous, I am vomiting, and feel extremely weak while taking this medicine, as an 18 year old who is paying her own medical bills and working her butt off- I’m EXTREMELY frustrated and feeling hopeless, and don’t know where to go from here.”

Selinus · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed this as sort of a band aid while waiting to see if I had an ulcer. Went through a lot of medications and ended up being prescribed this one. Before my heartburn would be bad enough to always cause nausea and sometimes vomiting. This made it worse. The first night I took it, it did work, but my stomach felt very full and bloated. The next night was the same, but that morning I vomited it all up painfully. I stopped taking it that day. I want to say too, none of the three doctors I spoke to believed me and denied this was a side effect. Be aware this might happen. 0/10 would not do again.”

Miracle drug September 20, 2015

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I had a serious problems with GERD. Chest pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain, and back pain caused from GERD makes me feel like I am dying, literally. I've been in the ER well over 4 times for this alone. I've been prescribed everything you can think of. I tried anything I could try to help this problem to no avail. The ONLY thing that helps with the chest pain is milk but it doesn't stop it completely it doesn't even touch the abdominal pain at all though and it's so excruciating that it is dibilitating. I'm 8 months pregnant now and I went in to labor and delivery with the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt in my life, prescribed carafate and works in 20 mins. Miracle drug for me.”

Gdeezy · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I have GERD and have been prescribed Carafate several times. First time was the liquid and it seemed to work best. Now I’m on 4 tablets/day and 2 Prilosec. It’s just not working this time. Actually my stomach hurts worse when I take it. The insomnia is awful. It’s very hard to time my meals and other medicines while taking this too. Almost impossible! Looks like endoscopy is my next step.”

Melcarolina · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2016

For GERD: “Had gastritis for 4 months tried natural supplements, dgl licorice, slippery elm, alkaline diet, Irish Sea Moss, 15 mg Prevacid all worked but went cold turkey on Prevacid when I changed over to Irish Moss and had bad stomach pain. Finally went to doctor after I read about Sucralfate. It worked immediately after first two pills. I take 4 per day and I'm on day 5. I can now eat my full alkaline meal and tried salmon and nut butters for protein with very ittle gas or acid resulting. This drug is a miracle. No more pain after eating. Dizziness only side effect.Stats say it takes about 8 weeks to heal the stomach lining.Natural remedies are good but take a very long time to work. Sucralfate works on pain immediately. It's a Godsend.”

Carafate user · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2016

For GERD: “I have had acid reflux for over 5 years and was on regular ppi medicine . Doctor prescribed carafate solution for relief from a flare up.. It is the best medicine . I have weaned off myself from ppi slowly and still using carafate once a day at nighttime .. Doctor has prescribed it 4 times a day but for me nighttime works best .. It is bit expensive but My 1 bottle lasts for couple of months . Ppi has lots of side effects but carafate is pretty safe .. Ask your doctor you wont regret it”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2020

For GERD: “I just started Sucralfate recently. I take it one hour before dinner and before bed. I tried many other prescription meds for GERD and none of them really worked very well. I like the way I can sleep at night and I don't have any reflux when I lay down. The only side effect I have noticed is a sore throat soon after I take the medication.”

Life Saver! · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 19, 2015

For GERD: “In January 2014, I was diagnosed (after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy) with Acid Reflux and severe IBS. They put me on the usual PPI inhibitors and acid reducers. Two months later, I was in the ER with severe gastritis. The doctor ultimately concluded that some of the erosive spots in my stomach had turned into a stress ulcer (I'm a PhD student). He prescribed sucraflate. I cannot express enough gratitude in being prescribed this. After taking it for about three months, I was almost GERD, Ulcer, IBS free. So, I stopped taking it. For about 8 months I was fine, but some of my symptoms have started to reappear. Again, as soon as I took the sucraflate, I had almost immediate relief! If nothing works, take Sucraflate.”

Ame · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I had extreme pain from the back right side under my rib cage for 2days that then started making its way to the front. I finally went to the hospital. I've had pancreatitis several times! It was feeling the same. They sent me home with this medication and I feel fine 2 days later. No bad side effects.”

Anonymous October 27, 2008

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: “Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “I am a week in to Sucralfate, not sure if I feel differently in a good way. I’m still getting bad pains and painful bloating to the point where I feel my stomach is going to burst. Not to mention it’s a huge inconvenience to take 3x a day, 1 hour before eating, I have 3 other meds that I have to take at all different times because of Sucralfate which is super hard because I am not an early bird whatsoever. Every time I take the pill I immediately feel sick to my stomach and it makes me not want to eat, 8/10 times I can’t eat after my first dose. I always feel really awful until over an hour later my body feels fine, yet I don’t see the pill improving my ulcer complications.”