User Reviews for Sucralfate

Also known as: Carafate

Learn more about Sucralfate.

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis 1 reviews 28 medications

Stomach Ulcer 15 reviews 106 medications

6.7
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 48 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Sucralfate

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I take the liquid form of this medicine 10 mL 4 times a day. It helps with GERD and gastroparesis. I started out with the pill version, but I kept having trouble swallowing them and they got stuck in my throat so my doctor was able to get a pre-approval for the liquid Carafate. It works really well and I like that it coats my stomach with all the digestive problems I have. I haven't had any side effects from it, which I am relieved about."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Stomach Ulcer: "MAJOR CHOKING HAZARD! I've been taking the pill version, instead of the liquid, for a few months. I literally almost died twice from choking on this pill. What they don't tell you is that as soon as you put the pill in your mouth, and it hits moisture, it swells. Put it in water and watch. Because there's no coating, it's hard to get down. This leads to choking until it starts to dissolve. DO NOT take this while you're alone! Other than that, it works well, lol. Dissolve it in a cup of warm water then chug it. I wouldn't split it in half because it's more likely to get stuck because of the sharp corners."

Melissa502 April 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Stomach Ulcer: "I have persistent ulcers. They heal then a few months later I develop more and it is not h pylori so was taking liquid Carafate. But then insurance changed and what used to cost $10 a bottle is now $70 for 2 weeks so my Dr said dissolve pill in 1 tablespoon of water. Pretty disgusting but also hate not eating or drinking 2 hours before or after. I see some people say 1 hour but my Dr said 2. So darn inconvenient and I'm thirsty all the time. I take many other meds for other issues so I have to keep the meds separated from the Carafate for absorption so I wake up every 2 hours through the night also to take meds. It's making me crazy. 8 weeks til endoscopy to see if healed from THIS ulcer then probably on carafete for life at least 2x a day. I hate it."

Kathy126 April 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I have been diagnosed with extreme acid reflux (more to come later on), Approximately 1 1/2 years ago my bad acid went out of control and started to come up in my mouth walking/sitting/laying down. I went to see my gastroenterologist and he sent me off to see a surgeon. The surgeon says I need a operation that amounts to be a gastric bypass. I did not like the diagnosis, About that time my gastroenterologist decided to drop all his medicare patients. I went to another hospital/gastro guy and he wanted me to stop all my ant-acid meds (2 ACIPHEX 2 RANITIDINE and 2 Omeprazole) for a week, After one days I was asking him to allow me to stay on For some reason the site is not allowing me to enter more details."

ps2os2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: "Just started it today"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "For roughly a month I had horrible stomach pain. I have an umbilical hernia and thought it might be a side effect of that, but after laying in bed for the better part of 2 weeks with pain I wouldn't wish on anyone, my husband demanded I go to e.r. After reviewing my CT scan, my family doctor thinks it's an ulcer, although I have not had the camera run down there yet to find out for sure. The e.r. gave me a Carafe script and I would say within a couple of days I was a new person. This drug along with Pantoprazole have all but eliminated my pain, heartburn and reflux!"

Ozzy's Mom December 30, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Stomach Ulcer: "I was given the liquid form of Carafate w/Lidocaine, in the ER yesterday since I have had horrible diarrhea (prior I had normal BM's). I went to the ER with severe upper abdomen pain that came in waves radiating to my back x5 days, not able to eat/drink anything with nausea. I could feel the weight dropping drastically. I was advised (just by speaking to me) by a Doc, that I had an Ulcer. No testing of any kind, e.g, labs, physical exam, urinalysis (as I also complained of severe low back pain that has been debilitating & getting progressively worse, which the 2 may not be related), CT's, etc. I was then given a disgusting liquid (Sucralfate, which I could barely keep down). I was then discharged, diagnosis Gastritis! !"

Help_2016 December 28, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Stomach Ulcer: "Had Hpylori. Caused very painful ulcer in my upper abdomen. Took 40 mg of omeprazole a day as prescribed by my doc. Still had pain. Within about two days of using carafate I noticed an improvement. Here it is about my 5th week on it and I really feel it has helped me. I am still on omeprazole too. Only side effects I have noted are very occasional dizzy feeling that is short lived, occasional headaches and constipation only a about three times the last several weeks. I do eat high fiber and try to get several fruits and veggies a day as well as I have in increased my water intake. The schedule of 4x a day - 2-3 hrs after a meal and 1 HR before a meal has taken some getting used to BUT it is TOTALLY worth it. I hope to be able to stop soon."

Hpylori Recovery (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "Just decided to check because it dawned on me that it seems when I take the generic brand of carafate, I feel nausea when earlier I did not!"

Anonymous December 3, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "Had gastritis for 4 months tried natural supplements, dgl licorice, slippery elm, alkaline diet, Irish Sea Moss, 15 mg Prevacid all worked but went cold turkey on Prevacid when I changed over to Irish Moss and had bad stomach pain. Finally went to doctor after I read about Sucralfate. It worked immediately after first two pills. I take 4 per day and I'm on day 5. I can now eat my full alkaline meal and tried salmon and nut butters for protein with very ittle gas or acid resulting. This drug is a miracle. No more pain after eating. Dizziness only side effect.Stats say it takes about 8 weeks to heal the stomach lining.Natural remedies are good but take a very long time to work. Sucralfate works on pain immediately. It's a Godsend."

Melcarolina (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "Try taking this pill with warm water. It helps dissolve it more quickly and it doesn't get stuck."

Nickname already in use October 2, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Duodenal Ulcer: "After an Endoscopy I was diagnosed with a big Duodenal Ulcer. Not every day was painful & the pain was lower, seemingly different than the symptoms that I had. But increasingly a lot of days the pain was almost intolerable. Healing has been a slow process, but steady. Going into week 4 of taking it there is definite improvement. The pill is big & yes constipation is a problem. But this is easily remedied with extra fiber cereals or bulk fiber taken every day). This medication is without a doubt fantastic stuff. At first I split the big tablet in half & swallowed it in 2 pieces but now whole. I am very thankful for this medication even with its inconveniences. I can tell the ulcer's healing, the pain gets better every day!"

IMAnonymousToo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Duodenal Ulcer: "Very effective for duodenal ulcer flare up. My only criticism is that they dissolve in your mouth before you can swallow any water to wash then down, and I have almost choked on them, which is very scary. The company needs to provide a thicker coating, even if it delays the quick effectiveness. I just coated one with butter and it went down more smoothly, with lots of ice water, but I still felt it hang up in my esophagus which almost made me gag. I think this could be dangerous. The other night it really scared me, as it got stuck on the way down, and I coughed and gagged and drank water but it was stubborn."

bevmeds1 September 6, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for Stomach Ulcer: "I was put on carafate for stomach ulsers.I am also taking two 30 mg. Of prevacid a day. Since starting the carafate my indigestion has come back pretty bad."

Jeanie p I (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "I have had acid reflux for over 5 years and was on regular ppi medicine . Doctor prescribed carafate solution for relief from a flare up.. It is the best medicine . I have weaned off myself from ppi slowly and still using carafate once a day at nighttime .. Doctor has prescribed it 4 times a day but for me nighttime works best .. It is bit expensive but My 1 bottle lasts for couple of months . Ppi has lots of side effects but carafate is pretty safe .. Ask your doctor you wont regret it"

Carafate user (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "Have inflammation of stomach lining and gerd. Don't swallow tablet, dissolve in half cup of water and follow if needed with cup of water"

Badbelly February 25, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "I was diagnosed with bile reflux and GERD, the doctor prescribed me sucralfate to take 4 times a day and I didn't notice much difference, the only change I really observed was dry mouth. Then I started taking a pill every time my GERD would act up and it makes such a difference. It soothes the burning feeling almost instantly. There are a few minor side effects like dry mouth but it's worth it."

Emily_19 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "Hello, i'm new to this drug so am unable to rate it. However, I think the doctor/or pharmacist should put a warning on the label that if you have trouble swallowing, you should dissolve the tablet in water first. Watch the tablet, it actually swells before dissolving and this happens in your mouth and throat, if you swallow the tablet whole. i really feel this pill is a choking hazard and how many people with GERD also have trouble swallowing? Why would a company make a product that is difficult to swallow for people with swallowing issues? I don't get it! & it's the size of a horse pill which increases in size, inside the mouth and throat. Not cool to not place a warning on the label."

Sharisika January 26, 2016

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "GERD I used to think what's a bit of heartburn. This is a different league of pain altogether. ER & ambulances have gave me morphine such is the pain. Sucraflate not only gives my lower abdominal sphincter time to heal & absorb the blood it stops new bouts of acid attacks quick style. Don't take with omeprazole or anti acids & take something to loosen your stools."

ShockedShaun December 16, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "the most frustrating experience of my life trying to buy this medicine one month supply of pills $4.00 one month of suspension $526.99 Amazing right! The Dr. recommended the suspension but simply cannot afford it. I have been told so many things it is a nightmare. I have gerd but unable to afford suspension and no one offers any help. I had to take pills financially and will continue taking with hope they will work. I make a suspension 4 times a day and drink it"

triple R October 28, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "It works very well for stomach pain and fairly well at getting rid of acid, but it must be taken apart from alot of other meds. Also can make it harder to poop. Over all I love the drug"

stormy699 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I had a serious problems with GERD. Chest pain, jaw pain, abdominal pain, and back pain caused from GERD makes me feel like I am dying, literally. I've been in the ER well over 4 times for this alone. I've been prescribed everything you can think of. I tried anything I could try to help this problem to no avail. The ONLY thing that helps with the chest pain is milk but it doesn't stop it completely it doesn't even touch the abdominal pain at all though and it's so excruciating that it is dibilitating. I'm 8 months pregnant now and I went in to labor and delivery with the worst abdominal pain I've ever felt in my life, prescribed carafate and works in 20 mins. Miracle drug for me."

Miracle drug September 20, 2015

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking."

tellitlikeitis (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For GERD: "In January 2014, I was diagnosed (after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy) with Acid Reflux and severe IBS. They put me on the usual PPI inhibitors and acid reducers. Two months later, I was in the ER with severe gastritis. The doctor ultimately concluded that some of the erosive spots in my stomach had turned into a stress ulcer (I'm a PhD student). He prescribed sucraflate. I cannot express enough gratitude in being prescribed this. After taking it for about three months, I was almost GERD, Ulcer, IBS free. So, I stopped taking it. For about 8 months I was fine, but some of my symptoms have started to reappear. Again, as soon as I took the sucraflate, I had almost immediate relief! If nothing works, take Sucraflate."

Life Saver! (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2015

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: "I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD."

B040289 February 9, 2015