User Reviews for Sucralfate to treat Duodenal Ulcer

Also known as: Carafate

Sucralfate Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Duodenal Ulcer.

Reviews for Sucralfate

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

“I actually have the liquid and the pills and both was bad for me. I want this ulcer to heal but this sucralfate medicine is horrible. I had several side effects so I stopped taking the liquid. I recently got the pills and again a had a couple of side effects but wasn't as bad as the liquid so I'm at a cross road right now, I'm not sure if I will continue. Oh the pill is about the side of a 800 mg ibuprofen but I was advised to crush it because it could possibly cause choking.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate): “Amazingly good results with the Carafate liquid. I was BLESSED to find an MD who actually listened to me both as an inpatient and subsequently an office patient. He has continued my liquid. I have to say I wish the price was lower BUT if I have to choose between paying more and suffering less, I'll figure out how to pay more.”

Daverss · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

“I have (getting better, so the Dr, says ) I have Duodenal Ulcer , Gastritis , re-flux, I been taking this sucralfate 2 X a day since March 11 2020 and for me it's worked slowly but has helped I guess along with a diet change. But 'STRESS' is my major issue, back to Sucralfate for me timing of dosing is the hardest part. Now 4 + months in I have very light brown stools ..hmmmm? It does not relieve my pain , it seems to make it worse sometimes , all in all it's been effective along with other changes , P.S. Not super hard to swallow but you got to get it down fast cause it will start to dissolve immediately . Best Wishes everyone.”

MsB · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate): “I was given this medication to take prior to knowing if I had a ulcer and endoscopy. It gave me insomnia after a week usage. Will not be taking it anymore.”

Zippy · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

“I have chronic Crohns disease. I’m always experiencing some pain and bloating after eating, but recently I have had accelerated symptoms with much worse diarrhea, so I had an endoscopy on 12/24. Sent home being told I had gastritis, and then prescribed this medication for a duodenal ulcer. Day 3 of the meds, and the pain in my stomach, up high to the right, near my rib cage, has gotten noticeably worse. I’m hoping it’s just because of the endoscopy, but this is really worse than Crohns!”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

“The worst. My Dr. said to take it the sucralfate pill. Sick to my stomach for a whole day. No more!!!”

d398c574 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate): “I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea."”

Ceen · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate): “First I must say I started feeling better pretty much right away on this med, and then I almost choked to death! I cut the pull in half, took half and it was stuck and I panicked! I ended up getting it down( because I tried to get it back up but didn’t work) but I am still left with a horrible taste in my throat 5 hours later. I did call pharmacy and they said to dissolve in a small med cup of water and drink it, thank god because I don’t want to be that scared again!”

Alex N. · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2019

“I took sucralfate a few years back for a suspected duodenal ulcer. It was the only thing that seemed to help the pain. However it also caused insomnia.”

Kalea · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 15, 2019

“I was diagnosed with a very large ulcer about 2 months ago. My Dr. prescribed the liquid carafate for the first few weeks, but it is extremely expensive. They then prescribed the pill form. This medication has helped so much with my stomach pain and bloating! However, I have had issues with choking on the pill. I don't know why, I have taken pills a lot larger than this one and have no issues. Be careful when taking this pill, I have ended up getting sick because of it lodging in my throat and causing me to choke.”

LadyFarts · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2019

“I have been having such bad acid reflux and diarrhea so I went to the doc and he pushed on my stomach and said I had inflammation or something in my stomach. He gave me Carafate and told me to also take prilosec every day. The pains in my stomach don't come as often now and my poop is solid but my throat is almost constantly burning. I don't know if it is because of the medicine or what it is. The pill is almost impossible to swallow without choking and my insurance doesn't cover the liquid. The eating rules are the hardest part though. I am constantly hungry and tired because I can only eat at very specific times due to having to take it 4 times a day. I hate this medication.”

MangoTree · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2018

“I have suffered from acid reflux my entire life and finally got an upper endoscopy done which revealed I have gastritis, duodenal ulcers and hiatal hernia. I was prescribed this medication and have only been taking it for a day and a half and feel absolutely horrible. Not only does my stomach feel worse than when I started taking it, I feel incredibly nauseous at night and in the morning, right when I’m about to take my next dose. Sick to my stomach, hot flashes, dizzy, etc. I’m hoping that I see improvement in my stomach in a few days but otherwise I am seriously considering calling my doctor and trying to get off of this. I have been off of work since starting the medication but I’m terrified of having to go back to the office feeling this way. I lay in bed for at least an hour or two before I go to sleep and before I can get up in the morning because I feel so ill.”

Nance July 5, 2018

“I have been in this medication since June 10, 2018. I saw an improvement after about 4 days. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it has helped tremendously. No side effects. Be patient while medication does it’s job. Good luck to everyone.”

Mariettagirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2018

“My doc prescribed for me due to gastritis and perhaps duo ulcer. Pharmacist recommended to dissolve it in water, which works really well! Too soon to know if it will help stomach pain and nausea.”

Tam · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2018

“I had 6 duodenal ulcers I was in so much pain. I was prescribed this medication 4x a day. My doctor told me never to swallow this pill whole. It is to be dissolved in a small amount of water to avoid choking. It took a couple weeks to work but I had great results and upon second scope I was ulcer free.”

Jerry P. · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2018

“DON'T SWALLOW THIS PILL WHOLE! YOU MIGHT CHOKE! When you swallow it with water it expands in your throat and you can choke ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM: TAKE A SIP OF WATER WITH THE PILL IN YOUR MOUTH. LET IT DISSOLVE COMPLETELY. It has no flavor and dissolves very quickly. SWALLOW. TAKE ANOTHER SIP OF WATER, SWISH AND SWALLOW. EASY. I don't know why the instructions don't include this method. Many people have choked taking this medication”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017

Carafate (sucralfate): “Just started it today”

IMAnonymousToo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2016

“After an Endoscopy I was diagnosed with a big Duodenal Ulcer. Not every day was painful & the pain was lower, seemingly different than the symptoms that I had. But increasingly a lot of days the pain was almost intolerable. Healing has been a slow process, but steady. Going into week 4 of taking it there is definite improvement. The pill is big & yes constipation is a problem. But this is easily remedied with extra fiber cereals or bulk fiber taken every day). This medication is without a doubt fantastic stuff. At first I split the big tablet in half & swallowed it in 2 pieces but now whole. I am very thankful for this medication even with its inconveniences. I can tell the ulcer's healing, the pain gets better every day!”

bevmeds1 September 6, 2016

“Very effective for duodenal ulcer flare up. My only criticism is that they dissolve in your mouth before you can swallow any water to wash then down, and I have almost choked on them, which is very scary. The company needs to provide a thicker coating, even if it delays the quick effectiveness. I just coated one with butter and it went down more smoothly, with lots of ice water, but I still felt it hang up in my esophagus which almost made me gag. I think this could be dangerous. The other night it really scared me, as it got stuck on the way down, and I coughed and gagged and drank water but it was stubborn.”

HaPenny · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2015

“Immediate relief! I was diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer 14 months ago. A few months of antacids and it healed, but all of my symptoms recurred 4 months ago. My gastro said I had gastritis and gave me antacids again but they didn't do much at all: still burping all the time (waking 3-4 times/night to burp myself like a baby), stomach tenderness from swelling, faux hunger pangs, nausea. The very first sucralfate pill stopped all of that. I take it 3x/day an hour before meals, which is my prescription for the next 3 months. Also: I have an eating disorder that was constantly triggered by the fake feeling of hunger from my sore stomach. Since starting on this medication, my disorder is easier to manage.”

aprilbelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2014

“The sucrlafate has helped so much thank you.”

tammykee March 20, 2012

Carafate (sucralfate): “I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not.”

Miss Heath December 14, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate): “I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning.”

YarnCrazy March 1, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate): “I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch.”

Anonymous September 1, 2009

Carafate (sucralfate): “It takes a long time to be effective. Don't be surprised that it may take 2 bottles (at 30day supply/ bottle) to get results. Condition will slowly improve. It usually is taken 4 times daily. Easier to do 1 hour before meals than 3 hours after. My schedule 6:30 am, 11 am, 4 pm and then before bed. Be sure to have FULL (8 - 10oz.) glass of water. Otherwise blue pill will cause stool to be DARK GREEN.”

Learn more about Duodenal Ulcer

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)