User Reviews for Sucralfate (Page 2)

Also known as: Carafate

Stomatitis 4.0
Summary of Sucralfate reviews 6.6 149 reviews

Reviews for Sucralfate

Selinus · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed this as sort of a band aid while waiting to see if I had an ulcer. Went through a lot of medications and ended up being prescribed this one. Before my heartburn would be bad enough to always cause nausea and sometimes vomiting. This made it worse. The first night I took it, it did work, but my stomach felt very full and bloated. The next night was the same, but that morning I vomited it all up painfully. I stopped taking it that day. I want to say too, none of the three doctors I spoke to believed me and denied this was a side effect. Be aware this might happen. 0/10 would not do again.”

MH · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “Yes you can make “slurry” by putting pill in a bit of water.”

MsB · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I was given this medication to take prior to knowing if I had a ulcer and endoscopy. It gave me insomnia after a week usage. Will not be taking it anymore.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “This medicine has given me the blues. I’m sleepy, dizzy, my vertigo is slightly active, I’m having heart palpitations in my sleep and anxiety throughout the day. I already suffered from anxiety but the fact that the meds cause you to have insomnia that’s not good for me. Needless to say I’m not talking anymore pills bcuz every time I do I feel terrible. I just want this out of my system!!”

Rash December 29, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was taking this drug sucralfate for a stomach ulcer and it was working then I started swelling, I got hives in places that never should be seen. Rash that took over my entire body. A major take over. I stopped taking it and had to to go get stronger antibiotics and antihistamine. Benadryl would not even come close.”

Zippy · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer: “I have chronic Crohns disease. I’m always experiencing some pain and bloating after eating, but recently I have had accelerated symptoms with much worse diarrhea, so I had an endoscopy on 12/24. Sent home being told I had gastritis, and then prescribed this medication for a duodenal ulcer. Day 3 of the meds, and the pain in my stomach, up high to the right, near my rib cage, has gotten noticeably worse. I’m hoping it’s just because of the endoscopy, but this is really worse than Crohns!”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer: “The worst. My Dr. said to take it the sucralfate pill. Sick to my stomach for a whole day. No more!!!”

Ulcer · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis: “You are not supposed to swallow the pill you dissolve it in water I can't believe all the people trying to swallow this pill this is dangerous”

Moni · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

For Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis: “Life saver! I'm a nurse and we do dissolve carafate into either a slurry or melt it in a little water and put it in some type of apple sauce or pudding. This is for those who have difficulty swallowing the pill form. Carafate also comes in liquid form, so you may inquire about possibly changing it to that on your next doctor visit. Carafate helps helps heal ulcers. Doesn't necessarily prevent them. If you have severe gastrointestinal issues, you may be prescribed another type of antacid or PPI to help along with carafate. As always, you have to take Carafate as prescribed. The times of administration are important. Especially if taking other medications and for it to work before disgestion of food. If you are still having severe gastrointestinal issues, you may have another serious issue and need to have a more invasive test from your PCP to rule out what is going on.”

d398c574 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea."”

Smiley · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

For GERD: “I've been taking carafate for two weeks now it does work great but thinking of stop taking it because now I have blurred vision, fullness of stomach, and a rash I went from taking it 4 times a day down to taking it 3 times a day. I don't know if I can just stop taking it ”

Ceen · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for Duodenal Ulcer: “First I must say I started feeling better pretty much right away on this med, and then I almost choked to death! I cut the pull in half, took half and it was stuck and I panicked! I ended up getting it down( because I tried to get it back up but didn’t work) but I am still left with a horrible taste in my throat 5 hours later. I did call pharmacy and they said to dissolve in a small med cup of water and drink it, thank god because I don’t want to be that scared again!”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month December 2, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “I have taken carafate, as well as Many of my family members. No one has ever had any side effects or bad reactions, even my pregnant sister with severe GERD. I saw on here some people have dizziness and back pain with Carafate. For anyone thinking they might need to take this for their problems give it a try because everyone reacts differently and it may help”

Minkins9 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I take Carafate liquid form. I’m reading a lot of comments about people choking. The pill form is supposed to be DISSOLVED in water, NOT swallowed whole. Please double check with the pharmacist always. I do find it hard to manage taking it around my other medicines as well as the wait time before eating. I think it would work miracles if I could actually take it 3x a day. I haven’t noticed any side effects from it.”

SLM · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

For GERD: “I have had GERD over 20 years. I’ve taken aciphex and was switched to generic omeprazole years ago. I have been well controlled with 10 mg 1x day. Once in a great while I need a ranitidine when I’ve overdone it. I have developed osteoporosis so new GI dr put me on sucralfate instead. Oh my! Trying to take it 2 hours after eating since I have other pills I need to take half hour before eating in am. So, constant mild heartburn. Have to eat on a schedule. Thanksgiving was a killer! Spicy food and because of meal timing I didn’t get midday pill. I manage to get it down, but overall, I’m not happy with this drug. I take it 3x day. Dr said to take 4th if needed. I can’t seem to get 4th pill in the schedule.”

Alex N. · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer: “I took sucralfate a few years back for a suspected duodenal ulcer. It was the only thing that seemed to help the pain. However it also caused insomnia.”

Adri · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I choked on these. Be careful because it will get stuck in your throat. However, it did give me relief from my ulcers and felt better after six weeks of taking this medication. I refilled another prescription if I had to use it again. Good luck and be careful!”

books · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

For Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis: “the lady said to dissolve it..I made it a little thick amount 1/2 - 1 oz.so the consistently of malox,. It actually will coat the esaphugus yeah”

Smalm4444 · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For GERD: “I have taken the way more expensive liquid suspension in the past with no side effects other then burping a lot. Now I have switched to the Carafate pill and I have had the up and down bobbing feeling like I got off an elevator. My doctor told me there were no side effects of taking it but that is annoying. It lasts about a half an hour and makes me just want to lay down. I don't like that side effect, but otherwise it causes no other side effects.”

Bay · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

For GERD: “Took the liquid from three years ago for gastritis worked wonders but now back taking it but in pill form for three days now the third day starting to feeling back and chest pain like a burning ache but I will continue to take it because I know the medicine works a week and a half left ”

Rich October 13, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I was prescribed sucralfate due to intolerance to other ulcer medicine. At first it worked wonders. I took it for 1 week before I had to stop. I take Tylenol/Advil round the clock for pain. I would say about day 3 I started to notice a dull headache about an hour after taking. For the next 4 days the headaches seem to get worse. Also I noticed back/upper torso pain. It was like a tightness burning sensation. I was also very gassy. Burping/ Vurping (vomiting a little bit while burping) was common. I seriously considered going to the ER. Maybe it’s the drug.... maybe it’s me?”

2 surgeries gal October 5, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “After 2 esophagus surgeries using the Nissan method I am much better. Stress was and is my main problem. Then comes not being able eat hardly anything. I take prescription prilosec twice a day watch my diet...very hard and exercise stretch walk. I was in ER last night and sent home with Carafate. If anyone has taken potassium pills they suck big time. I was told to make slurry. Add it to a small amount of water and take in one swallow. Works like a charm!”

Soi · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “I have been taking Carafate for over a year. It is making my stomach so much better. It is very hard to take 2 or more a day because I am on so much other medicine. I notice the acid and pain in my stomach when I don't take more than 2 a day. Good luck.”

ulcerpatient · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

For Stomach Ulcer: “Works. Dissolve it in about 4oz of water, don't try to swallow it whole if you can't swallow fast because it starts to fall apart very, very quickly. Think of it like an Alka-Seltzer tablet or other similar dissolving-type medicines. I take mine with these little mini-bottled waters. Just plop my doses in, swish the bottles, and chug it. Give that a try if you struggle with swallowing the tablets in time.”

Lij · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate) for GERD: “ I have Acid reflux after gallbladder removal. I tried the Carafate suspension and it made me vomit. The pills appear to be working but I still take Zantac. My pharmacist told me to dissolve tablet in in 1/4 cup of water for 15 mins.”