User Reviews for Sucralfate to treat Stomach Ulcer

Also known as: Carafate

Sucralfate has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 53 ratings for the treatment of Stomach Ulcer. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Sucralfate Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Stomach Ulcer.

Reviews for Sucralfate

Raphael December 18, 2020

Carafate (sucralfate): “Absolutely awful! Even the liquid form if this was garbage. Never took the burn away from my gastritis and like a user said below, it made me feel very very full. I would drink water and would feel absolutely ridiculously full. Seriously thought I had some other condition. It also made me feel very lightheaded and short of breath. Felt as if my blood pressure dropped. Avoid”

Anonymous October 27, 2008

Carafate (sucralfate): “Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux.”

Ozzy's Mom December 30, 2016

Carafate (sucralfate): “For roughly a month I had horrible stomach pain. I have an umbilical hernia and thought it might be a side effect of that, but after laying in bed for the better part of 2 weeks with pain I wouldn't wish on anyone, my husband demanded I go to e.r. After reviewing my CT scan, my family doctor thinks it's an ulcer, although I have not had the camera run down there yet to find out for sure. The e.r. gave me a Carafe script and I would say within a couple of days I was a new person. This drug along with Pantoprazole have all but eliminated my pain, heartburn and reflux!”

Ambs · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2019

Carafate (sucralfate): “Found out I have a stomach ulcer and hiatal hernia. Doctor prescribed me carafate and it’s day two and I feel like I am feeling worse. My head is pounding it hurts so bad my throat feels dry and slightly swollen and I feel extremely dizzy and weak.. I’m hoping this will wear off and when I get my swallow test done it will help reduce my anxiety. I just need to feel better I am scared to go back to work feeling like this.”

Songpeddlar May 8, 2021

“I was diagnosed with an ulcer. My pain was so bad I literally could not sleep or eat. 8 trips to the ER and finally this great doctor prescribed Carafate. I take the pills. The size and quick dissolve do make it intimidating to take and the four a day is hard to manage sometimes, however, it stopped my pain. I hope to get off it after my ulcer heals. So, I’m changing up my food and eating smaller meals. I also walk three miles a day and it also helps manage my reflux and anxiety. I feel it’s a great medicine. The first time I was on it I got off in a month. My pain returned, but I was also eating bad food. So with dietary changes I feel this will facilitate permanent healing. I have no side -effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

“I am a week in to Sucralfate, not sure if I feel differently in a good way. I’m still getting bad pains and painful bloating to the point where I feel my stomach is going to burst. Not to mention it’s a huge inconvenience to take 3x a day, 1 hour before eating, I have 3 other meds that I have to take at all different times because of Sucralfate which is super hard because I am not an early bird whatsoever. Every time I take the pill I immediately feel sick to my stomach and it makes me not want to eat, 8/10 times I can’t eat after my first dose. I always feel really awful until over an hour later my body feels fine, yet I don’t see the pill improving my ulcer complications.”

ulcerpatient · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

“Works. Dissolve it in about 4oz of water, don't try to swallow it whole if you can't swallow fast because it starts to fall apart very, very quickly. Think of it like an Alka-Seltzer tablet or other similar dissolving-type medicines. I take mine with these little mini-bottled waters. Just plop my doses in, swish the bottles, and chug it. Give that a try if you struggle with swallowing the tablets in time.”

MaryEllen Jones · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

“Like another reviewer, this was given to me as a "Band-aid" to postpone a badly needed endoscopy, which was cancelled due to the Covid19 crisis. First, this stuff is a MAJOR CHOKING HAZARD, even if pills are split. The instant they hit moist throat tissue they stick like glue. It is recommended that the tablets be crushed and mixed with water if you have this problem. Second, it must be taken on an empty stomach - no food for at least an hour before and an hour after. The problem with this is my stomach hurts the MOST when it is empty, and adding Sucralfate makes it burn even more. If I need a lot of water to get the sticky thing down, I might belch and then my entire esophagus burns. I count the minutes until the hour is up so I can have a glass of milk, which makes me feel better...for about 30minutes. :(”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate): “Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks.”

Nina · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

“Dr prescribed Sucralfate for my chronic indigestion, stomach pain, ulcer and constant bloating. Yes it a task to manage taking this RX and scheduling intake of your meds but I take my medication either at night or after I wake up. Then wait the hour. Yes the pill is large but it dissolve in water. I'm surprised that no instruction on how to take was given by the pharmacy for some of the people prescribe this med. Yes. Some people may not be able to take this medication but for the most part a larger percent of people can. I feel 100% better taking this med.”

Shaunaj · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2013

Carafate (sucralfate): “Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer.”

Rilie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2019

“I’ve been taking this sucralfate pill 4x a day for about a month now for stomach ulcer. It is definitely a choking hazard, especially for someone like me who can’t take pills very well. It get stuck in my throat easily, but the best way to get it down, I find, is if you take a sip of water. Hold it in your mouth and tilt your head back. Put your fingers in so the pill aligns right with your throat hole and let it go. It slides down much easier. I haven’t choked on it once since I started doing it this way. Hope this helps someone :)”

Me July 4, 2019

“Been taking sucralfate for 2 days now. 10 out of 10. Taking it for an ulcer/gastritis. When I wake up in morning the pain is going but as soon as an hour passes after taking this I can feel the moment it gets to my problem area. Relief is pretty rapid from there. And I can eat!! Which is awesome. It is a rather large pill but if you can do an ibuprofen 800 then you can do this one. I didn't find it getting stuck or anything like that just take a good gulp of water. Doctor said this makes a barrier between your insides and the things you put in there.”

Rich October 13, 2019

“I was prescribed sucralfate due to intolerance to other ulcer medicine. At first it worked wonders. I took it for 1 week before I had to stop. I take Tylenol/Advil round the clock for pain. I would say about day 3 I started to notice a dull headache about an hour after taking. For the next 4 days the headaches seem to get worse. Also I noticed back/upper torso pain. It was like a tightness burning sensation. I was also very gassy. Burping/ Vurping (vomiting a little bit while burping) was common. I seriously considered going to the ER. Maybe it’s the drug.... maybe it’s me?”

Bellaluna0411 November 3, 2017

Carafate (sucralfate): “I suffer from anxiety, and have been having stomach issues for like 8 months. Went to the GI they wanted to perform an endoscopy but I'm 9 weeks pregnant which make things even worst. I have bad upper stomach pain, really bad burning on stomach and chest. I had to come off my antacid because I'm doing a breath test to test for h pylori. So my GI prescribed carafate 1mg. 4x a day, took my first dose at 11pm, fell asleep like around 12:30am. Woke up at 2am feeling really nauseas, back pain, really bad tummy ache, headache, and this went on for like 4 more hours, and to make things worst it got me anxious.. calling my doctor today, not happy with the side effects plus I'm feeling really weak. Don't know if I should keep taking it.”

wnbck April 5, 2010

Carafate (sucralfate): “This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down. ”

Minkins9 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2019

“I take Carafate liquid form. I’m reading a lot of comments about people choking. The pill form is supposed to be DISSOLVED in water, NOT swallowed whole. Please double check with the pharmacist always. I do find it hard to manage taking it around my other medicines as well as the wait time before eating. I think it would work miracles if I could actually take it 3x a day. I haven’t noticed any side effects from it.”

Aqua1954 July 23, 2017

“I took the pill (awful to swallow) form for about 2 1/2 months...(per a pharmacist- I dissolved it in about an ounce of cold water, stir and chug it then drink about 8ounces of cold water.). They dissolve it about ten seconds and have a nasty chalky taste but it has healed my gastritis which was extremely painful. It started helping in about a week but took two months altogether to heal. The side effects were nausea, back and neck pain, constipation.... lost weight because I was so sick before I started taking it. Good luck everyone.”

theoandgracesmomma · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2019

“I am a 19 year old and I have had an ulcer since May of 2018. I took sucralfate off and on for probably about 5 months now. I took the liquid for about 2 months. For me, I had a lot of issues with the liquid. I couldn’t handle the taste and the powder feeling of it. I also barely had time to eat considering I had to take it 4x a day and couldn’t eat for 2-3 hours before and 1 hour after. I’ve recently started taking the pill form 2x a day and it’s helping a little more. I have had an upset stomach all the time while taking both medications but with the liquid form I felt dizzy way more often. So far with the pill form, I have had more of an appetite and I have been eating bigger portions. I’m really hoping this pill form helps more with my stomach pain from my ulcer. Personally, I would go with the pill form rather than the liquid.”

TW47 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2020

“I was in the hospital for a bronchial issue and was on several high powered antibiotics that caused horrible stomach issues. I was given sulcrafate for ulcers and it helped immediately. I took it once a day before bedtime for about two months. Shortly after I'd take it, I'd get blurry vision. I stopped taking it when the prescription I had ran out. After a couple of days of not taking it, I developed excruciating and unexplainable back pain that I've now had for three months.”

Ulcersuckandihatethem · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

“I took sucralfate for my stomach ulcer for about a week. Had slight insomnia, headaches and nausea. But it really helped with the burning pain from the ulcer. I could eat so I was happy. But then all of a sudden I started getting crazy back pain. An intense burning and tight feeling in my chest and back whenever I would try and bend forward, move my neck, or even take a breath. Love the instant ulcer relief. Hate the side effects!”

Hpylori Recovery · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2016

“Had Hpylori. Caused very painful ulcer in my upper abdomen. Took 40 mg of omeprazole a day as prescribed by my doc. Still had pain. Within about two days of using carafate I noticed an improvement. Here it is about my 5th week on it and I really feel it has helped me. I am still on omeprazole too. Only side effects I have noted are very occasional dizzy feeling that is short lived, occasional headaches and constipation only a about three times the last several weeks. I do eat high fiber and try to get several fruits and veggies a day as well as I have in increased my water intake. The schedule of 4x a day - 2-3 hrs after a meal and 1 HR before a meal has taken some getting used to BUT it is TOTALLY worth it. I hope to be able to stop soon.”

Tallbearish June 28, 2017

Carafate (sucralfate): “I had an (undiagnosed) bleeding ulcer (from gastric bypass surgery). Doctor prescribed the liquid form, but $500 for the liquid?? The pharmacist kindly told the pill form is $4. Ugh, I hate this stuff! I am supposed to take it 4 times a day, but it starts dissolving the moment it hits the back of my throat... Its like tasting nasty sand! The coughing fits almost get painful, and then it feels like it i'explodes' in my stomach- so I can forget eating for the next 3-4 hours. Ugh. Seems I have a choice (my 'pouch' is still very small 5 months out), take this OR have room for hydration OR food, not all of the above, am asking my doc tomorrow about it...”

Melissa502 April 29, 2017

“MAJOR CHOKING HAZARD! I've been taking the pill version, instead of the liquid, for a few months. I literally almost died twice from choking on this pill. What they don't tell you is that as soon as you put the pill in your mouth, and it hits moisture, it swells. Put it in water and watch. Because there's no coating, it's hard to get down. This leads to choking until it starts to dissolve. DO NOT take this while you're alone! Other than that, it works well, lol. Dissolve it in a cup of warm water then chug it. I wouldn't split it in half because it's more likely to get stuck because of the sharp corners.”

dani 94 June 14, 2017

Carafate (sucralfate): “I was prescribed this with protonix after having intense pain from gastritis. I can't really tell if it's helping. My doctor said the stomach lining is something that takes a while to heal so I guess I will just have to wait and see. I am going back 2 weeks after starting carafate. My stomach hasn't had any major flare ups but some days it definitely hurts and I think I'm having some intense back pain because of the carafate. I've been trying not to take too much advil but I can't even sleep because of the back pain.”