User Reviews for Sucralfate to treat Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis

Also known as: Carafate

Reviews for Sucralfate

Moni · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2019

“Life saver! I'm a nurse and we do dissolve carafate into either a slurry or melt it in a little water and put it in some type of apple sauce or pudding. This is for those who have difficulty swallowing the pill form. Carafate also comes in liquid form, so you may inquire about possibly changing it to that on your next doctor visit. Carafate helps helps heal ulcers. Doesn't necessarily prevent them. If you have severe gastrointestinal issues, you may be prescribed another type of antacid or PPI to help along with carafate. As always, you have to take Carafate as prescribed. The times of administration are important. Especially if taking other medications and for it to work before disgestion of food. If you are still having severe gastrointestinal issues, you may have another serious issue and need to have a more invasive test from your PCP to rule out what is going on.”

Mft grad January 2, 2019

“I was excited to get this medicine because my stomach was feeling full and empty and hurting a lot even after I had just eaten or two hours after I had eaten. My doctor thinks it's an ulcer, which I noticed stress and cigarettes hurt the worst of anything, followed by having an empty stomach. Now on to the carafate, which can only be taken on an empty stomach. Unfortunately half the time I take this, within a half an hour, I'm vomiting. I couldn't have taken this drug when I was drastically underweight a year ago, or I wouldn't have been able to gain weight at all. You definitely need a zofran with this medication to control the nausea. I hope it goes well and I can finish four to eight weeks of this. It is the worst medicine I've ever taken. And, since I need zantac and Prilosec everyday for the acid reflux, managing to take the medication without these drugs as well as on an empty stomach is very difficult. Why can't it be taken with smoothy or ice cream?”

Anonymous June 9, 2011

Carafate (sucralfate): “I was in much discomfort; pain, burning. Felt like I had something caught in my throat. These symptoms all came back just after an Endoscope. We called the Doctor and he prescribed Carafate Suspension. The "fire" was put out immediately. It was so good to feel "NORMAL" again.”