User Reviews for Simvastatin

High Cholesterol

Cardiovascular Risk Reduction

Summary of Simvastatin reviews 5.3 107 reviews

Reviews for Simvastatin

For High Cholesterol: "I'm a 45 yr.old female with a high cholesterol of 252 so the doc put me on a dose of 10mg simvastatin. The first month I had side effects of leg cramps, toe numbness and muscle weakness in legs so consulted with doc and she recommended taking every other day. After three months my cholesterol down to 198, I've lost weigh so down 25 lbs as I had lost my appetite. I'm still having some weird feelings in my legs occasionally and plan on stopping after pills are gone"

Bruiser (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Took this poison twice after dinner with plenty of water, and had to stop immediately. I suspect these pills dug a hole in my stomach. Will spare you the specifics. Suffice it to say, a week later I remain on heartburn medication. Let me also point out that my only problem is high cholesterol ( a bit above 200), I’m in good shape otherwise. Began walking and watching what I eat."

Chun (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Have used simvastatin 40mg for years. Had been taking Teva generic without a problem. I was given Dr Reddy generic simvastatin on one occasion (due to lower price) and I developed flu-like symptoms (fatigue, body aches an general run down feeling) almost immediately. Since then, my doc has specified Teva brand, even though it costs more, since I've never had any issues with that. The generics are supposed to be the "same." However, the inactive ingredients and method of dispersal in blood stream can have differing effects on different people. Rhabdomyolisis runs in my family and I don't want to take any chances with other generic brands."

Barb (taken for 10 years or more) March 13, 2019

For High Cholesterol: "Was put on this drug for high cholesterol and in the 3 weeks I was on it the drug caused me nothing but trouble. Started out with gas issues thought it was my heartburn meds kicking out on me. So I stopped my heart burn meds and still had the gas issues. I sounded like a belching trucker on steroids. It also gave me diarrhea, sore throat, headaches, decrease in appetite, and the really bad passing wind. Stopped the medication and now I'm back to normal. Still have to take a liver blood work test and hope it didn't damage my already failing kidneys. All at 30 and it took one pill to mess with my system. Wouldn't advise taking this medicine."

Nicky (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Took this drug for ten years. The past year I have been having trouble breathing and doing any physical exercise at all. Pharmacy ran out of the drug and after three days, all the trouble I was having went away. GP is going to change to another drug. Before taking any prescription, do some research on line and if you don't like what you read go to your GP and discuss."

hondo (taken for 10 years or more) December 5, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I've been on simvastatin for 9 years for borderline high LDL cholesterol and have had zero side effects. I'm on ultra low dose of 2.5mg and my cholesterol is excellent."

hjs (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2018

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "I have Coronary artery disease (CAD). Open-heart surgery in 2002. I have taken 20mg of Simvastatin for 16 years. The last 3 years, I have been in chronic pain. My torso, rib cage, upper back, under my arms on my rib cage, both shoulders. Deep sore muscle pain & stiffness in my back. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. After a spine nerve test. Dr. said no Fibromyalgia but Myofascial. After trigger point shot. Dr. said no to that. Help!!!! The Doctors do not know why I am in pain. I have been depressed since 2014. Lately, I have insomnia nightmares and extremely tired when I wake up."

Lisa (taken for 10 years or more) November 27, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "This lowers cholesterol just fine. Constantly forgetting things and can't commit many things to memory since starting the drug. I am not old - started at 40, and now 50 years old. For example, I've been typing all of my adult life and since taking the drug, I have to correct typos in every sentence since my fingers do not have their muscle memory either. Events my kids say I was present at, I have no recollection of at all."

YY (taken for 10 years or more) November 8, 2018

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "I am a 44 year old male who had a stent placed in my heart 5 years ago. I was on SIMVASTATIN and have numerous side effects such as; increased weight gain, extreme fatigue/tiredness, constipation, and stomach pain. Since I stopped taking SIMVASTATIN my side effects have disappeared. I have lost weight, my energy level has skyrocketed, no more constipation or stomach pain. I am exercising and on a diet, but these seem to be working more effectively without the medication."

brsfan (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 14, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I took one pill and about 12 hours later, I began to feel very tired. 18 hours later, I went to the grocery and didn't think I was going to make it back because I became so weak and short of breath. My legs felt so heavy - almost as if though I wasn't going to be able to to walk. At about 36 hours after the ONE pill, I experienced an explosive bathroom episode and saw very dark stool and several drops of blood in the toilet. It's now 48 hours later and just put a piece of spearmint gum in my mouth and cannot taste it or smell it. One pill did this!"

Aunt Janet (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "Feel like garbage! Actually called in sick to work one day cause of how bad I felt. Blah feeling, stuffy nose, constant hot flashes, weird dreams, don't sleep. Only been on for 3 weeks and I just can't take it. Will these symptoms pass? I'm 44, 5'6", 130 lbs - it's not weight - work out like a beast - but high cholesterol and heart disease run on my dad's side - recent #'s the bad LD keeps rising, at 200, overall # is 275 - Dr wants to try this but I just can't. Going to give supplements a try."

tytulip (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I was having really back cramping in my leg I believe because of my statin. Doctor suggested taking CoQ10 supplement. It really helped and it’s good for your heart. I hope this will help others."

Suzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "I have been taking ZOCOR for years and in that time I have developed a side effect which in talking to others on the same drug is quite common.....cold hands and feet. I started on 10 mg and presently take 40 mg. My cholesterol has been reduced but the discomfort associated with coldness at all times regardless of temperature and amount of clothing worn is very disconcerting. I have discussed this with several doctors and they all say its a side effect of ZOCOR. I cannot find this in the list of published side effects. I have also tried Liptor but the results were actually worse. What to do?"

exman November 23, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Interesting reviews. Over the years I've been on one cholesterol drug or another. My numbers are down and acceptable to my GP. The latest is the generic simvastatin . Muscle soreness in legs, hips, wrists have seemed to be my life. Up every two hours to pee like clockwork, sometimes more irritable for no apparent reason and irregular heart beats I can feel, and are picked up by my BP machine. After reading these reviews, I'm going to self de-medicate for a spell to see if my sleep pattern changes as well as other possible side effects I've listed. It seems too many people have the same symptoms as me, and have stopped taking the medication with positive results."

door2 November 9, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I will NEVER use any statin again,I experienced neuropathy and muscle weakness. I felt 20 years older and this was on a 10 mg a day. The side effects which I believe were statin related did not show up for one full year. They did bring my cholesterol numbers down, but my quality of life greatly went down. Took me 3 years after quitting to not feel the affects of this any more. At one point my muscles were so weak I could barely lift my purse, I had prickling and numbness in my legs,varms and feet. It was horrible!"

Karrie n August 27, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "20mg x2 days... 1. Severe headache 2. No energy 3. Weekness 3. Very sleepy 6. Pain in ribs (L side more) I have discontinued the Statin and will change diet, take fish oil and low dose aspirin daily."

480 Cholesteral (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I was prescribed Simvastatin for high LDL cholesterol. After taking it as prescribed for several months, my cholesterol levels did reduce to healthy levels. I continued the treatment, until I realized that nothing I was eating tasted right. I consulted my Pharmacist because I take other medications, and he said it was the statin that had this side-effect. I stopped taking it immediately, and my taste has returned to normal, and my cholesterol is elevated again. I will be trying other methods to increase HDL and reduce LDL. After much research, it is clear that statins are dangerous."

hayhaypaula May 5, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Too early to comment"

Albert Einstein April 25, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "Was prescribed this by endocrinologist who was not aware that this drug causes major spikes in blood sugar. I had to increase the amount of insulin I was taking by about 10 fold. This is dangerous because studies have confirmed that high doses of insulin are related to heart disease. So the very disease this is designed to help improve (heart disease) by lowering cholesterol, his drug actually could make heart disease worse (increase my diabetes) Had I stayed on this drug, I'd be dead in a year. No one, especially diabetics, should ever take this drug. It is dangerous and life threatening. I had muscle cramps and felt horrible. This should be off the market. Manage high cholestoral with diet, skip the drugs. I'm convinced this drug led to a family member's kidney and heart failure."

Roburpa April 15, 2017

For Cardiovascular Risk Reduction: "In 2014 only 10mg Simvastatin was prescribed for my Mother in an extended care facility. She was already on diltiazem 180mg for mild hypertension . During 17 months on this drug combination she developed brown urine, hair was falling out by the fist full, suddenly became diabetic, developed renal problems (elevated BUN), developed elevated amylase and lipase levels and now has a pancreatic cyst (proven by CT scan). She has some dementia and could not communicate side effects she was experiencing. We saw the physical effects and reported them to the staff. No action was taken by the Physician. Her health was destroyed. If they are not, these 2 drugs should be contraindicated. Period."

shoudblaws March 31, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I took this simvastatin for about a week and stopped. I was having insomnia, dull pain in my chest, numbness of both my legs and hands and consistent pain in my left arm and neck. I intend to see my doctor this week."

Bobjk February 1, 2017

For High Cholesterol: "I've been on 40 mg simvastatin for 12 years. Lowered my cholesterol from 240 to 160 consistently and my HDL and LDL both improved. I have had no side effects that I would say are from the medicine. I do have some ankle pain on both sides but I have played soccer my entire life so I expect that and doubt it from the meds but you never know. I'd rather have sore ankles than a heart attack. "

socker21 December 13, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I took the medication for three days and quit. I became so ill and could not keep down food for three days. I was in pain in my chest and back. The pain was so bad I could not sleep. I took Tylenol and it did nothing. I called my doctor's office and let them know I could not take this medication. I had a terrible reaction to this medication."

Welby May 27, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "My father took 40 mgs for a week and now can't work and can't raise his arms. The doctor said it was this medicine."

Greyso (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

For High Cholesterol: "I took Simvastatin 5mg for only 1 month before I could no longer tolerate the headaches, and the muscle pain. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 15 years ago, always very mild pain, and very seldom, but now I feel as if the Statins have changed this. I have been off the Statins for just 1 week. I tell myself that 5mg for only 1 month should not cause any permanent damage, but I don't know. I'm now treating myself, no more doctors."

Stella 3 May 6, 2016