User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: Zocor

Learn more about Simvastatin.

Simvastatin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 301 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Simvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"I took the medication for three days and quit. I became so ill and could not keep down food for three days. I was in pain in my chest and back. The pain was so bad I could not sleep. I took Tylenol and it did nothing. I called my doctor's office and let them know I could not take this medication. I had a terrible reaction to this medication."

Welby May 27, 2016

"My father took 40 mgs for a week and now can't work and can't raise his arms. The doctor said it was this medicine."

Greyso (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

"I took Simvastatin 5mg for only 1 month before I could no longer tolerate the headaches, and the muscle pain. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 15 years ago, always very mild pain, and very seldom, but now I feel as if the Statins have changed this. I have been off the Statins for just 1 week. I tell myself that 5mg for only 1 month should not cause any permanent damage, but I don't know. I'm now treating myself, no more doctors."

Stella 3 May 6, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for over 15 years and have experienced the leg cramping, sleepless nights due to having to use the restroom, and pain in my hip area. But overall the medication has helped me to lower my cholesterol over the years. I will say that maybe it's time for my doctor to lower my dosage from 40mg to 20mg."

Mrs.Thibodeaux May 5, 2016

"Lowered Cholesterol..took for about 4 months...never again..I found myself in the emergency room often reporting extreme weakness..especially in legs and head. I felt like I was floating instead of walking. Extreme headaches. I'm a very active 40 year Old! I felt like I couldn't stand up or walk without help. Not to mention shortness of breath and sharp pains in my legs. Stopped taking as soon as I realized Simvastatin may have been causing it about a few days ago. I still feel spasms in my legs but not as severe and my strength has returned."

tricia34l April 27, 2016

"I was put on 20 mg.of the drug, Zocor AKA simvastin because my "bad" cholesterol (the LDL) was high;160. This was the first time ever tried a Statin drug and will be the last time. I was up every night urinating. No sleep. I was getting muscle spams like a charlie horse in my legs. My arms felt heavy. I was irritable, had no patience, and no ENERGY. I felt like I was in a fog. I had short term memory confusion. Never again. For ME? Diet change, exercise, 81 mg of aspirin and CoQ 10. Check with your Dr,Good luck!"

So done! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"Eyes get blurry, get severe Migraine's, itchy bumps on my head & neck. Coughing starts up like I have a chest cold. My doctor is trying to find one that works for me. So far Simvastatin & Pravastatin do the same thing to me. I'm Allergic to both of these."

NeeNa957 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Makes "pinging" pains in my legs especially around my knees by the 4th day. Took Motrin, but will ask to change meds."

Mehki (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

"I have been on 20 mg Zocor now for 3 month's. Within the past 6 weeks I have developed muscle ache in my legs, stomach and ribs, insomnia that I never had before along with depression and a general feeling of lethargy. High time I had a chat with my Doctor I think, if it's zocor that's causing this, then it's not worth taking"

Sophielulu March 30, 2016

"Took my cholesterol down. After one year developed what I believe to be awful side affects from this med. Muscle weakness and neuropathy at the top of the list. Went off statins, felt better after a few months, but took about 3 years to feel normal. I know others that also had side affects from statins. I will not take this again."

Viking1957 January 11, 2016

"Neuropathy, muscle weakness, chills, plus more. I only took 10 mg a day, side affects didn't show up for one year. Took 4 years to get over all the pain. Only reason I gave it a 3 was because it took my numbers down. My doctor did not argue with me when I wanted off this med. I know other people who also have stopped this med because of side affects. Husband switched off this drug to another statin as he developed bad neuropathy in his feet and can barely feel them. Started as a burning pain. The only reason he is still taking a statin is because he had a heart attack. He is off the simvistatin."

Lean 2000 December 27, 2015

"My Dr. put me on Simvastatin. My cholesterol reading 134. I guess it was a birthday present. I was on it for two years. Complained about pain and dizziness. Got Gabapentin and Vicadin. Pain persisted. Then after about twenty-two months I felt something crystalize in my legs muscles. My Dr ignored it. I had this Dr for more then forty years and never associated the medicine with my pain. Utterly stupid. Never trust your health to anyone. I have been in severe pain for the last eight years. Get off Simvastatin immediately when you feel pain. I had a muscle biopsy but I am unable to get the results. In a matter of two years I poisoned myself into an invalid. I spend most of my days in a chair. It is too painful to walk."

jansteen54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

"I experienced night time Severe Reflux and Aspiration, gasping for air with a over whelming near death feeling. Plus I had the night cramps. I Stopped the med. Changed my life, will never take it again."

DeathTrap (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2015

"I've been on Simvastatin 10mg for the last 6 months. I've noticed the last 4 months or so severe pain in my legs & hips. I can barely move sometimes. Sleeping is very painful at night. There is a stiffness and I can barely move without pain. I'm going off this Cholesterol medication. Calling my Dr soon! I have not had my blood work rechecked yet so I don't know what my numbers are."

Carolyn97 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2015

"Taking drug for over 24 years...Past three years complained to doctors of breathing problems...recently told of kidney function defect...No mention of simvastatin concerns. I checked internet and am convinced side effects mentioned are taking place. I am going to different doctor to check out concerns"

pocono0001 July 20, 2015

"I took this drug for 3 months. I just stopped it now with doctor's approval. I stopped because I was getting tightness in my chest, burning sensations on my skin, sore breasts, and was getting depressed. Yes it did lower my cholesterol, but it's not worth it to me if it causes depression. Apparently, this drug can inhibit serotonin production. If you have any history of depressive disorder, I would NOT take this drug. My father took the pill as well, but just stopped because he has had trouble with walking this year. He had burning sensations down his legs this year. We think his walking troubles *may* have something to do with Simvastatin. Perhaps Simvastatin doesn't hurt everyone, but my opinion of it is poor. Trust your gut."

RoseMarion (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "I am currently on 20mg Zocor and started taking it six months ago. After I got my cholesterol checked again, the LDL went down 90 points! No side effects."

Jamie Lee July 2, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Started this med about 11 years ago. It dropped my level to below avg. I always associated my aches and pains to my age and activity level, but I've discontinued its use for about 3 weeks because my finger joints felt swollen and arthritic. I'm starting to feel a slow improvement. My additional symptoms are sore hips and other joints. To be fair, I won't be able to discern whether this is the drug or some other factor until staying off it longer."

JohnGotts (taken for 10 years or more) June 29, 2015

"I am 59 , very active, on thyroid and blood pressure medication for at least a year. All was good. Started taking simvastatin due cholesterol results. Took one at night after dinner 20 mg for two days. On the second day, while driving , I was getting extremely sleepy. Kept waking myself up by slapping my face. I had a blank moment while driving...woke up when the car hit a kerb with a thud!. Obviously now I don't think I will take this simvastatin. I will have to tell my doctor that she almost lost her patient and took a few other people off ."

Ditasnz June 27, 2015

"have taken Simvastin 80mg for eight years. Cholestrol level is down and stable. I wake up some nights around 3pm.wide awake.I get irritable and angry at times..high tummy pains.some days the need to urinate quite often.I didnt realise until reading information here that it may be the statins causing these side effects. All in all im happy with the results."

happy 64 yr old June 18, 2015

"Simvastatin was A total nightmare for me. Lower half of back,hips,and legs were so painful,I could barely walk. For me It was like A Intense burning sensation.And this was after my first dose,and this was my last."

pepziman April 4, 2015

"I have been taking simvastatin for 10 years to treat high cholesterol with good success. I have not experienced any adverse side effects."

Phil1168 February 25, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "Been taking Zocor for a while now. Between 1-2 years. Seemed to feel OK, but heart always felt like it was skipping beats. Then about 3 weeks ago it happened every afternoon about 4PM daily scaring me because they were lasting for a long time. I don't know anything but this medicine so I figured this must be my problem. So I just stopped the Zocor {simvastatin} and to amazement no more heart palapations."

wooddmann January 18, 2015

"Started suffering acid reflux after a year on Simvastatin. Struggled to swallow it, felt as if it was lodged in my throat. Stopped taking it a month ago, having blood test this week to check cholesterol level."

Jan T (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2015

Zocor (simvastatin): "The side effects of this medication are terrible. The dizziness, headache, and not being able to understand what was going on, felt like I was in a cloud. "

Itsyb0327 (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2014