User Reviews for Simvastatin

Also known as: FloLipid, Zocor

Simvastatin Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 305 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Simvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"I took one pill and about 12 hours later, I began to feel very tired. 18 hours later, I went to the grocery and didn't think I was going to make it back because I became so weak and short of breath. My legs felt so heavy - almost as if though I wasn't going to be able to to walk. At about 36 hours after the ONE pill, I experienced an explosive bathroom episode and saw very dark stool and several drops of blood in the toilet. It's now 48 hours later and just put a piece of spearmint gum in my mouth and cannot taste it or smell it. One pill did this!"

Aunt Janet (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"Feel like garbage! Actually called in sick to work one day cause of how bad I felt. Blah feeling, stuffy nose, constant hot flashes, weird dreams, don't sleep. Only been on for 3 weeks and I just can't take it. Will these symptoms pass? I'm 44, 5'6", 130 lbs - it's not weight - work out like a beast - but high cholesterol and heart disease run on my dad's side - recent #'s the bad LD keeps rising, at 200, overall # is 275 - Dr wants to try this but I just can't. Going to give supplements a try."

tytulip (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

"I was having really back cramping in my leg I believe because of my statin. Doctor suggested taking CoQ10 supplement. It really helped and it’s good for your heart. I hope this will help others."

Suzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

"I have been taking ZOCOR for years and in that time I have developed a side effect which in talking to others on the same drug is quite common.....cold hands and feet. I started on 10 mg and presently take 40 mg. My cholesterol has been reduced but the discomfort associated with coldness at all times regardless of temperature and amount of clothing worn is very disconcerting. I have discussed this with several doctors and they all say its a side effect of ZOCOR. I cannot find this in the list of published side effects. I have also tried Liptor but the results were actually worse. What to do?"

exman November 23, 2017

"Interesting reviews. Over the years I've been on one cholesterol drug or another. My numbers are down and acceptable to my GP. The latest is the generic simvastatin . Muscle soreness in legs, hips, wrists have seemed to be my life. Up every two hours to pee like clockwork, sometimes more irritable for no apparent reason and irregular heart beats I can feel, and are picked up by my BP machine. After reading these reviews, I'm going to self de-medicate for a spell to see if my sleep pattern changes as well as other possible side effects I've listed. It seems too many people have the same symptoms as me, and have stopped taking the medication with positive results."

door2 November 9, 2017

"I will NEVER use any statin again,I experienced neuropathy and muscle weakness. I felt 20 years older and this was on a 10 mg a day. The side effects which I believe were statin related did not show up for one full year. They did bring my cholesterol numbers down, but my quality of life greatly went down. Took me 3 years after quitting to not feel the affects of this any more. At one point my muscles were so weak I could barely lift my purse, I had prickling and numbness in my legs,varms and feet. It was horrible!"

Karrie n August 27, 2017

"20mg x2 days... 1. Severe headache 2. No energy 3. Weekness 3. Very sleepy 6. Pain in ribs (L side more) I have discontinued the Statin and will change diet, take fish oil and low dose aspirin daily."

480 Cholesteral (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

"I was prescribed Simvastatin for high LDL cholesterol. After taking it as prescribed for several months, my cholesterol levels did reduce to healthy levels. I continued the treatment, until I realized that nothing I was eating tasted right. I consulted my Pharmacist because I take other medications, and he said it was the statin that had this side-effect. I stopped taking it immediately, and my taste has returned to normal, and my cholesterol is elevated again. I will be trying other methods to increase HDL and reduce LDL. After much research, it is clear that statins are dangerous."

hayhaypaula May 5, 2017

"Too early to comment"

Albert Einstein April 25, 2017

"Was prescribed this by endocrinologist who was not aware that this drug causes major spikes in blood sugar. I had to increase the amount of insulin I was taking by about 10 fold. This is dangerous because studies have confirmed that high doses of insulin are related to heart disease. So the very disease this is designed to help improve (heart disease) by lowering cholesterol, his drug actually could make heart disease worse (increase my diabetes) Had I stayed on this drug, I'd be dead in a year. No one, especially diabetics, should ever take this drug. It is dangerous and life threatening. I had muscle cramps and felt horrible. This should be off the market. Manage high cholestoral with diet, skip the drugs. I'm convinced this drug led to a family member's kidney and heart failure."

Roburpa April 15, 2017

"I took this simvastatin for about a week and stopped. I was having insomnia, dull pain in my chest, numbness of both my legs and hands and consistent pain in my left arm and neck. I intend to see my doctor this week."

Bobjk February 1, 2017

"I've been on 40 mg simvastatin for 12 years. Lowered my cholesterol from 240 to 160 consistently and my HDL and LDL both improved. I have had no side effects that I would say are from the medicine. I do have some ankle pain on both sides but I have played soccer my entire life so I expect that and doubt it from the meds but you never know. I'd rather have sore ankles than a heart attack. "

socker21 December 13, 2016

"I took the medication for three days and quit. I became so ill and could not keep down food for three days. I was in pain in my chest and back. The pain was so bad I could not sleep. I took Tylenol and it did nothing. I called my doctor's office and let them know I could not take this medication. I had a terrible reaction to this medication."

Welby May 27, 2016

"My father took 40 mgs for a week and now can't work and can't raise his arms. The doctor said it was this medicine."

Greyso (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

"I took Simvastatin 5mg for only 1 month before I could no longer tolerate the headaches, and the muscle pain. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 15 years ago, always very mild pain, and very seldom, but now I feel as if the Statins have changed this. I have been off the Statins for just 1 week. I tell myself that 5mg for only 1 month should not cause any permanent damage, but I don't know. I'm now treating myself, no more doctors."

Stella 3 May 6, 2016

"I have been taking this medication for over 15 years and have experienced the leg cramping, sleepless nights due to having to use the restroom, and pain in my hip area. But overall the medication has helped me to lower my cholesterol over the years. I will say that maybe it's time for my doctor to lower my dosage from 40mg to 20mg."

Mrs.Thibodeaux May 5, 2016

"Lowered Cholesterol..took for about 4 months...never again..I found myself in the emergency room often reporting extreme weakness..especially in legs and head. I felt like I was floating instead of walking. Extreme headaches. I'm a very active 40 year Old! I felt like I couldn't stand up or walk without help. Not to mention shortness of breath and sharp pains in my legs. Stopped taking as soon as I realized Simvastatin may have been causing it about a few days ago. I still feel spasms in my legs but not as severe and my strength has returned."

tricia34l April 27, 2016

"I was put on 20 mg.of the drug, Zocor AKA simvastin because my "bad" cholesterol (the LDL) was high;160. This was the first time ever tried a Statin drug and will be the last time. I was up every night urinating. No sleep. I was getting muscle spams like a charlie horse in my legs. My arms felt heavy. I was irritable, had no patience, and no ENERGY. I felt like I was in a fog. I had short term memory confusion. Never again. For ME? Diet change, exercise, 81 mg of aspirin and CoQ 10. Check with your Dr,Good luck!"

So done! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"Eyes get blurry, get severe Migraine's, itchy bumps on my head & neck. Coughing starts up like I have a chest cold. My doctor is trying to find one that works for me. So far Simvastatin & Pravastatin do the same thing to me. I'm Allergic to both of these."

NeeNa957 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Makes "pinging" pains in my legs especially around my knees by the 4th day. Took Motrin, but will ask to change meds."

Mehki (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

"I have been on 20 mg Zocor now for 3 month's. Within the past 6 weeks I have developed muscle ache in my legs, stomach and ribs, insomnia that I never had before along with depression and a general feeling of lethargy. High time I had a chat with my Doctor I think, if it's zocor that's causing this, then it's not worth taking"

Sophielulu March 30, 2016

"Took my cholesterol down. After one year developed what I believe to be awful side affects from this med. Muscle weakness and neuropathy at the top of the list. Went off statins, felt better after a few months, but took about 3 years to feel normal. I know others that also had side affects from statins. I will not take this again."

Viking1957 January 11, 2016

"Neuropathy, muscle weakness, chills, plus more. I only took 10 mg a day, side affects didn't show up for one year. Took 4 years to get over all the pain. Only reason I gave it a 3 was because it took my numbers down. My doctor did not argue with me when I wanted off this med. I know other people who also have stopped this med because of side affects. Husband switched off this drug to another statin as he developed bad neuropathy in his feet and can barely feel them. Started as a burning pain. The only reason he is still taking a statin is because he had a heart attack. He is off the simvistatin."

Lean 2000 December 27, 2015

"My Dr. put me on Simvastatin. My cholesterol reading 134. I guess it was a birthday present. I was on it for two years. Complained about pain and dizziness. Got Gabapentin and Vicadin. Pain persisted. Then after about twenty-two months I felt something crystalize in my legs muscles. My Dr ignored it. I had this Dr for more then forty years and never associated the medicine with my pain. Utterly stupid. Never trust your health to anyone. I have been in severe pain for the last eight years. Get off Simvastatin immediately when you feel pain. I had a muscle biopsy but I am unable to get the results. In a matter of two years I poisoned myself into an invalid. I spend most of my days in a chair. It is too painful to walk."

jansteen54 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

"I experienced night time Severe Reflux and Aspiration, gasping for air with a over whelming near death feeling. Plus I had the night cramps. I Stopped the med. Changed my life, will never take it again."

DeathTrap (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 10, 2015