User Reviews for Colesevelam

Diabetes, Type 2
5.8

Summary of Colesevelam reviews 8.6 62 reviews

Reviews for Colesevelam

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "My doctor prescribed this in powder form for my cholesterol and triglycerides. I am unable to take statins due to extreme muscle pain and weakness. This has got to be the most disgusting form of medication I have ever had. It says don’t take the powder without mixing with liquid, however the medication will not completely mix with anything I have tried. It also leaves my mouth feeling like it’s turning inside out. The worst is a sensation that it is stuck in my throat. I haven’t taken it long enough to know if it is effective and may ask for the pill form."

Swims with Fish (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Welchol work very well on the diarrhea I experienced after having my gall bladder removed. I take two at breakfast and have no fears of diarrhea any more. I like the fact they do not work through my kidneys or liver but the intestines sort of like kitty litter mopping up excess bile. These just went generic so the cost will come down. As an added bonus they will also work on my cholesterol. So in my opinion these pills are a win win!!"

Pj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Like a lot of other people my IBS was misdiagnosed after 25 years plus, not only affecting my whole life - changing my personality, social skills; had CBT - hypnosis and a heck of a lot of money I've spent searching for answers, treatments. My husband has also suffered silently because his life has been also affected in lots of ways. How was it missed?!!! Mine is a very long story. However I would like to find out if there is a forum for people like me, I've been on colesevelam since last September, but I still have to take Imodium, up to 10 per day, is anyone else out there taking both, would like to know how they are getting on."

suzyE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Starting working after 2 or 3 days following 15 months of chronic diarrhoea. (post surgery). I take 3 a day."

mememe (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I've suffered from chronic diarrhea for over 10 years. I've been to dozens of doctors, taken more tests than I care to remember, and been told at the end of every visit that they can't figure out why it's happening to me or how to stop it. I've been living on daily max doses of Imodium for years. This year, during a consult for a regular colonoscopy , my new gastroenterologist recommended I try Welchol, a cholesterol drug that he thought might help. It's been the best three months of my life! I started the drugs the day of the colonoscopy. I went 24 hours with no symptoms. I thought it was because of the cleanse from the procedure. But it's been three months and NO DIARRHEA. I eat what I want, I no longer scope out the bathroom when I go out. I'm finally leading a normal life without chronic diarrhea. This is a miracle drug to me, and my only question is why didn't the dozens of other doctors recommend it sooner!"

txrere February 1, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have crohn's disease and had my second bowel resection over a year ago. Experienced severe diarrhea and gas after every meal, no matter what I ate. Was prescribed Welchol -- 2 per day. I take it mid-day right before lunch, and it gets rid of all of the symptoms until the next day. If I ever miss a day, I'm back to square one. Nothing else seems to work for me, but this is a godsend."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "Started taking Welchol in 2012. To date my LDL has dropped 30%. I recently took the time to read the insert with the medication and was appalled to see that this medication contains aspartame. This is the sugar substitute that I stopped using several years ago because of the muscle pain I was experiencing. Two weeks later the muscle pain was gone. I was also diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer in April, 2015. Aspartame is suspected to be a cancer causing agent. What is this drug company thinking? Stevia is a sugar substitute that is safe and it's a natural sweetener. If a sweetener is necessary, why not use Stevia. I am weaning myself off of Welchol, and will consult with my cardiologist at my next visit."

Jan 2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking Welchol for a month. Out of the 3 years I have been testing my blood sugar, my fasting blood sugar has been the highest in the morning (I follow a strict low carb diet). I have normal numbers during the day, but when I wake up, it is anywhere from 10-30 points higher. Eating different bedtime snacks, eliminating bedtime snacks, changing Metformin time; nothing made any difference. Since Welchol, my fasting my is almost always the same as when I go to bed. The only negative side effect is heartburn if not taken with food. I prefer it before bed to lower my fasting, but I might have to change it to dinner time. Hopefully it will still help my morning fasting blood sugar. It's too soon to recheck my cholesterol."

SUZYA August 31, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "My story is similar to others. The first thing I would locate in a store or a restaurant was the bathroom because I knew I would have to go before we left there. I even turned down job opportunities because the bathroom was too far away from where I would sit in fear that I wouldn't make it in time. That is no way to live. After a colonoscopy and stool lab results my doctor put me on Welchol, which I call the poop pill. In my opinion, it is the miracle medicine. I take 3 every night before bedtime and I have not had any more issues. I can enjoy leaving the house and not worry about wearing white clothes. I am one happy camper!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gullbladder removed in 2004, resulting in always needing to know where a potty was at all times. After several Dr & 12 yrs of getting sick. I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy done where is came back normal to the naked eye but the biopsy didn't. It showed Mastocytosis (masked cell disease). Was put in Welchol before my procedure & it was like a miracle pill, after finding out what I had they changed me to Zertek & Zantak within three days I was back to getting sick. So back to Welchol I go & prob will never try anything else agian. Happy to finally not worry about when to eat & where the bathrooms are. Life is going to get better!"

MsLangham April 24, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I stared having mild diarrhea around the age of 12, around 4/6 times a day as I got older this increased and caused me to stop exercising, as it I had chronic diarrhea! I tried everything to limit it, including massive doses of Imodium but nothing touched it, at the age of 31 whilst suffering painful chronic diarrhea 20+ times a day and suffering constant exhaustion I luckily found a news paper article that highlighted bile acid malabsorption and after a few visits and another year of harassing a consultant I was put on cholestagel 625mg (colesevelam) which changed my life!! Unfortunately serious intestinal damage had been done which still causes problems with users, prolapses, blood and mucus but the chronic diaherra is cured!"

Ed79 March 13, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "For 40 years I've had to spend a lot of time on the toilet. So much so that it has now become a habit that I spend as much as 30-40 mins at a time just reading or watching you tube. Then I met my new girlfriend who pretty much noticed from the start that something was not right. I had suffered kidney stones from my early 20's and always had cramps. Then I was referred to a doctor who had the time to listen to me, who took the time to try and find the cause. Turns out I have had a very severe case of Bile acid malabsorption (BAM) for my whole life. Who knew? I was prescribed colesevelam which I now have to take 6 a day but the change has been amazing. I'm not saying I'm cured but I can live again. Don't take no for an answer."

Wonderboy1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I'm a 51 year old health professional. In 1983 at the age of 17 I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy). Although my painful gallstone attacks ended, like others I began suffering irritable bowel symptoms for the next 25 years. These frequent bouts of cramping and urgent diarrhea impacted my work, travel and social life. In 2010 I changed my GP and he recommended the off-label use of Wechol as a solution to my GI problems. I cannot overemphasize the profound and positive impact this drug has had on my lifestyle. If you've had your gall bladder removed and are having GI problems, please talk with your doctor about this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I've always had issues with going but, I had my gallbladder out in 2008 since then I've been getting worse and worse...I went to 3 different doctors who diagnosed me with ibs-d and sent me home saying take a prebiotic...finally I found a doctor early this year. He was determined to help me. I was always late to work and as soon as I got there is was in the bathroom. I went to the bathroom in excess of 10 times a day on a good day. I had to carry a change of clothes to work cause I had frequent accidents. And my belly pain was soo bad I felt as though I would fall unconscious.my doctor referred me to a specialist and he put me on 4 pills once a day...I still potty like 4 times a day but it's given me back my life!"

Motherofthree2016 November 8, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "This drug is a life saver for me as I have diagnosed with SeHCAT that I have idiopathic severe Bile Acid Malabsorption , we're talking decades of severe diarrhoea daily ,and being dismissed as an " it's all in the mind, non compliant patient" type. My only issue is that since taking it I've started tinnitus. However I'm hoping that a new med will come out shortly or trying to take less will help manage that as it's a very difficult thing to live with."

Lil Rose Red (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "In 2001 I had my gallbladder removed. And since then I have had chronic diaherra. I would spend 12 hours with explosive diaherra. It made my life miserable. I didn't know when I could leave the house. The delayed gastric emptying and the chronic diaherra I started taking the drug Welchol. And I feel so good. I have had to change my eating habits. Foods that I have loved, I can not eat anymore. I can except that, so the I am no miserable. Maybe I can start exercising and lose weight."

grannybubbles July 22, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Thank God I came across this website and many thanks to all the others who went though what I did. For 3 years following my gallbladder removal I have IBS-D. I tried to modify my diet, limit portions, herbal medications, remove certain foods from my diet, exercise more, ox bile, digestive enzymes, etc. You name it, I tried it! The final straw was living on Imodium. While Imodium helped, I realized it was not going to be a long term solution, so I began searching for another answer and thankfully came across this website. High cholesterol was not a problem according to my recent blood work, so I would have never thought Welchol would be a solution. Wow, was I wrong. As soon as I took a print down of this paperwork to my PCP, they said"

One Happy Person! June 22, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "This was a life changer for me I was suffering with diarreah over 10 times a day and since starting on this I have finally got my life back and can do most of the thing I did before! I am not 100% back to how I was but I have not been on them for too long (about 8 weeks) but I can actually live again!"

Tomuehf May 20, 2016

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and have been dealing with IBS after eating for 14 years and thought I had to just live with it as a consequence of surgery! I have had high cholesterol for years, so my primary care physician prescribed this drug. It stopped my IBS and will lower my cholesterol, it also helps with my hypoglycemia. win,win,win.... im 57 and before using this drug I wasn't enjoying life much worried about toilets and heart disease or expecting to live a long full life. Now 3 less thing's to worry about : )"

strega440 February 1, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have had diarrhea for the past 25 years. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2006 was running on 12 % for who knows how long. Quality of life socially was impaired by needing a bathroom w/o much of a warning at least 4 to 5 times a day. I would not go out in public for very long. And forget ever eating out! I tried everything over the counter and behind the counter and sometimes both with little to no relief. Finally my P/A and I put our heads together and came up with Welchor. it has been a big life changer. I am starting to do things that I haven't been able to do for quite some time. it's been a big life changer for me. 4 months now, 3 x 625 mg twice daily. No side effects as of yet. 52 yr/female."

Medusa2112 November 18, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gall bladder out in 2000. Then started the dreaded diarrhea! I would be getting ready to leave for work and a simple cough or sneeze would send me running for the the shower because I had accidentally leaked. I got to the point I couldn't take it anymore! It was truly ruining my life I had seriously considered something I won't mention here because my life was ruined with a cough or sneeze or lifting an object I was at my end. I started doing research on my own and found Welchol. I mentioned it to my Dr. On my next visit and she prescribed it. I've never been happier in my life!!!!! It helped a lot I had insurance then but unfortunately I haven't had insurance in 3 years so honestly I have to choose food or liquid poo!"

Sande1325 August 22, 2015

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "Medicine worked initially to lower cholesterol but became less effective as time went on. Also, taking three of those "horse pills" twice a day is difficult! They are huge pills."

MAPster July 28, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have bile salt malasorbtion colitis due to a right hemicolectomy years ago and after several more operations and only been given codeine to help slow things down .I have tried questran and colestid but found them gave me sickness. My new consultant recommended these but warned that they were hard to find. But they have completely given me my life back. I never thought that I would be pain free and diahorea free. My only problem is my chemist finds it hard to get them for me and the two other chemists do not keep them on their list. They are my life saver and I can now finally eat a whole meal!!!"

foxy27 May 25, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gall bladder removed in 2007. Afterwards life was miserable! My GI dr had no real explanation and after few tests put me on cholestramine powder and life was good. But after 10 years and i am someone who travels frequently and also a volunteer firefighter it was bothersome to have a juice and bottle to mix the powder every morning. Also the meds didnt always provide 24 hr relief if i wasnt able to take dose at the same time everyday. I finally checked on welchol and although pricey after just 2 wks and 1 pill daily its almost like a miracle pill!! I can now say life is great!! No break through random episodes of diarrhea!!! Im now more relaxed to travel and enjoy not worrying if ill have an accident!!!!"

Yay for me November 22, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "Love Welchol...... Thanks to my family doctor I can feel normal again"

Soccer mom for 3 October 27, 2014