User Reviews for Colesevelam

Also known as: Welchol

Learn more about Colesevelam.

Diarrhea, Chronic 31 reviews 31 medications

Diabetes, Type 2 5 reviews 138 medications

5.4
Summary of Colesevelam reviews 49 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Colesevelam

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I've always had issues with going but, I had my gallbladder out in 2008 since then I've been getting worse and worse...I went to 3 different doctors who diagnosed me with ibs-d and sent me home saying take a prebiotic...finally I found a doctor early this year. He was determined to help me. I was always late to work and as soon as I got there is was in the bathroom. I went to the bathroom in excess of 10 times a day on a good day. I had to carry a change of clothes to work cause I had frequent accidents. And my belly pain was soo bad I felt as though I would fall unconscious.my doctor referred me to a specialist and he put me on 4 pills once a day...I still potty like 4 times a day but it's given me back my life!"

Motherofthree2016 November 8, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "This drug is a life saver for me as I have diagnosed with SeHCAT that I have idiopathic severe Bile Acid Malabsorption , we're talking decades of severe diarrhoea daily ,and being dismissed as an " it's all in the mind, non compliant patient" type. My only issue is that since taking it I've started tinnitus. However I'm hoping that a new med will come out shortly or trying to take less will help manage that as it's a very difficult thing to live with."

Lil Rose Red (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "In 2001 I had my gallbladder removed. And since then I have had chronic diaherra. I would spend 12 hours with explosive diaherra. It made my life miserable. I didn't know when I could leave the house. The delayed gastric emptying and the chronic diaherra I started taking the drug Welchol. And I feel so good. I have had to change my eating habits. Foods that I have loved, I can not eat anymore. I can except that, so the I am no miserable. Maybe I can start exercising and lose weight."

grannybubbles July 22, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Thank God I came across this website and many thanks to all the others who went though what I did. For 3 years following my gallbladder removal I have IBS-D. I tried to modify my diet, limit portions, herbal medications, remove certain foods from my diet, exercise more, ox bile, digestive enzymes, etc. You name it, I tried it! The final straw was living on Imodium. While Imodium helped, I realized it was not going to be a long term solution, so I began searching for another answer and thankfully came across this website. High cholesterol was not a problem according to my recent blood work, so I would have never thought Welchol would be a solution. Wow, was I wrong. As soon as I took a print down of this paperwork to my PCP, they said"

One Happy Person! June 22, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "This was a life changer for me I was suffering with diarreah over 10 times a day and since starting on this I have finally got my life back and can do most of the thing I did before! I am not 100% back to how I was but I have not been on them for too long (about 8 weeks) but I can actually live again!"

Tomuehf May 20, 2016

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and have been dealing with IBS after eating for 14 years and thought I had to just live with it as a consequence of surgery! I have had high cholesterol for years, so my primary care physician prescribed this drug. It stopped my IBS and will lower my cholesterol, it also helps with my hypoglycemia. win,win,win.... im 57 and before using this drug I wasn't enjoying life much worried about toilets and heart disease or expecting to live a long full life. Now 3 less thing's to worry about : )"

strega440 February 1, 2016

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have had diarrhea for the past 25 years. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2006 was running on 12 % for who knows how long. Quality of life socially was impaired by needing a bathroom w/o much of a warning at least 4 to 5 times a day. I would not go out in public for very long. And forget ever eating out! I tried everything over the counter and behind the counter and sometimes both with little to no relief. Finally my P/A and I put our heads together and came up with Welchor. it has been a big life changer. I am starting to do things that I haven't been able to do for quite some time. it's been a big life changer for me. 4 months now, 3 x 625 mg twice daily. No side effects as of yet. 52 yr/female."

Medusa2112 November 18, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gall bladder out in 2000. Then started the dreaded diarrhea! I would be getting ready to leave for work and a simple cough or sneeze would send me running for the the shower because I had accidentally leaked. I got to the point I couldn't take it anymore! It was truly ruining my life I had seriously considered something I won't mention here because my life was ruined with a cough or sneeze or lifting an object I was at my end. I started doing research on my own and found Welchol. I mentioned it to my Dr. On my next visit and she prescribed it. I've never been happier in my life!!!!! It helped a lot I had insurance then but unfortunately I haven't had insurance in 3 years so honestly I have to choose food or liquid poo!"

Sande1325 August 22, 2015

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "Medicine worked initially to lower cholesterol but became less effective as time went on. Also, taking three of those "horse pills" twice a day is difficult! They are huge pills."

MAPster July 28, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have bile salt malasorbtion colitis due to a right hemicolectomy years ago and after several more operations and only been given codeine to help slow things down .I have tried questran and colestid but found them gave me sickness. My new consultant recommended these but warned that they were hard to find. But they have completely given me my life back. I never thought that I would be pain free and diahorea free. My only problem is my chemist finds it hard to get them for me and the two other chemists do not keep them on their list. They are my life saver and I can now finally eat a whole meal!!!"

foxy27 May 25, 2015

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gall bladder removed in 2007. Afterwards life was miserable! My GI dr had no real explanation and after few tests put me on cholestramine powder and life was good. But after 10 years and i am someone who travels frequently and also a volunteer firefighter it was bothersome to have a juice and bottle to mix the powder every morning. Also the meds didnt always provide 24 hr relief if i wasnt able to take dose at the same time everyday. I finally checked on welchol and although pricey after just 2 wks and 1 pill daily its almost like a miracle pill!! I can now say life is great!! No break through random episodes of diarrhea!!! Im now more relaxed to travel and enjoy not worrying if ill have an accident!!!!"

Yay for me November 22, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "Love Welchol...... Thanks to my family doctor I can feel normal again"

Soccer mom for 3 October 27, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "After 41 years of horrible pain, diarrhea and incontinency, I met a GI Dr. Who Ordered Welchol. I thought he was nuts. Within 4 days I was normal. I would willing mortgage my house to pay for this medicine. Max dose 6/day. I now have a Life. It's so nice not to be told I was nuts, nervous, anxious, need a shrink and all the other crap I listened to for 41 years. I have been fine for almost 6 years with only 2 one day relapses. My gallbladder is fine. I am one happy camper. True story folks."

Tin Type lizzie October 22, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my appendix removed along with some bowel some large and small intestines AND an ovary( due to infection... I was full of it... another story) and after 2 months of explosive diarrhea I to was given LODALIS (Canadian version of Colesevelam) I only take 1 a day but 2 if I go on road trips and I really don't eat because I'm afraid I will have to go but after reading these stories I will eat again. Thanks."

stefanny August 26, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "My Cardio. wants my LDL lower than the 88 it is now, because of my having a bypass surgery in 1999, he wants it below 70. After about a week of taking 4- 625 mg pills per day I have noticed a change in bowl movement. I used to go once at breakfast, then about an hour later had another Bowel Motion, but more violent and loose. Would stay in the restaurant until 2nd Bowel Motion most of the time, or make sure I was close to one of my usual emergency rest stops--Dr. office, gas station, Port-John or rest room at the mall when doing post breakfast walk. Now, if this works on my A1c (now 7.5) and lowers LDL, without extreme side effects, I will be very happy. After this short period of time I'm feeling pretty safe about not being caught unprepared."

NittanyLion July 13, 2014

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gall bladder removed in 2011. I was planning my life around a restroom and it was affecting my social life. I would not go on trips, and did not want to go to anyone's house to eat for fear of an episode. Welchol has been a miracle for me. I only take them as I need them. Sometimes even 1 or 2 a week. It is very expensive, so I'm glad I don't have to take them everyday."

what the heck January 31, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have had severe diarrhea for years after getting gall bladder removed. Had many tests run, tried everything. Eat, bathroom, eat, bathroom I was miserable. I signed up for medication study program after trying many different studies a wonderful caring nurse who led the studies suggested this medicine. WOW, I'm living again. I was spending a large amount of my life in the ladies room now I'm regular. They prescribed me three pills a day it caused consipation. One a day every morning keeps me regular. What a lifesaver, I was miserable."

wezzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "Five months ago my total cholesterol was 281 (LDL was 199). I can't tolerate statins so my doctor suggested Welchol. I started eating a plant-based diet (no meat or dairy) and began going for walks in the morning. Yesterday my latest blood test showed that my total cholesterol is now 193 and my LDL is 125. That's the first time in 15 years that my cholesterol has been under 200. The diet and exercise certainly had an impact and I'm sure Welchol pushed the numbers even lower."

Jack9999 September 25, 2013

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "Gall bladder was removed in 1994. Ever since then severe diarrhea has been mostly on sometimes off. Many meds later and after seeing GI specialist my primary care physician prescribed Welchol. Great results! I take 6 pills in a divided dose. I still take 1 anti-diarrheal and 'everything' is better now."

BPoppe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "Diagnosed at 18, went on until 28. I had a miserable existence for 10 years. 5 minutes after eating, I better be near a toilet. Gastroenterologists tested and tried so many different things with no success. Told my GI I was having a substantially lower quality of life with this problem. He prescribed me Welchol. The next day, I enjoyed my first meal in years and cried. Truly was a miracle pill for me."

Anonymous August 19, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "51yr old male - High blood pressure, diabetic with bad HDL/LDL ratio (total cholesterol around 100). I do NOT eat right (but I am getting better at it). Been on the suspension for about a year now. I can tell by my energy level and overall 'feeling' when I take it - don't seem to have the highs and lows. Hate the taste and texture when mixed with plain water so a lot of days I just didn't take it. I have found that if I mix it with 8oz of water and add a shot of orange MIO that it is fine. Also, I was taking it at night (just before bed) but I was having terrible heartburn. Now taking it in the morning and no such problem... Only reason I didn't give it a 10 is ease of use."

SlayerRick June 21, 2013

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "2 days before Christmas I came down with diarrhea and it continued to get worse. Many trips to the Drs and hospital and finally after 4 months was sent to a Specialist. He put me on 6 pills a day, 625 mg Welchol. I had gone from a size 20 to a size 12, no energy, headaches, pains and shakes (from diarrhea). This medication has worked wonders for me. I am so happy that I don't have to look for the nearest bathroom and stay close to it any longer. I have had no side effects either. I have gained 2 pounds too. I take all 6 pills at one time about 4 hours after my morning medicines. Welchol works wonders for me."

Swamp Mama (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diarrhea, Chronic: "Doctor said this will help my blood pressure, high cholesterol and diarrhea. I also had gall bladder removed. It works. I'm 69 and plan to stay on it. Tired of looking for restrooms."

Sharonbelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam) for Diabetes, Type 2: "Surprised at how easy it is to swallow the pills."

Anonymous October 25, 2012

Welchol (colesevelam) for : "Great help."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2012