User Reviews for Colesevelam

5.8

Summary of Colesevelam reviews 8.5 74 reviews

Reviews for Colesevelam

mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have had IBS my whole life with hemorrhoids. I had prostate radiaiton proton three years ago and bleed all the time only a small amount at a time. I have had 7 bandings for hemorrhoids. I have been taking Welchol for diarrhea one twice daily and it is working well for one year. My normal pattern is two days of no bms and then the third day I have three normal bms and then 2 bms of diahrrea. Don't know what to do. Any help. Is this normal with Welchol."

BC · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 30, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Responding to JD and Emmy I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago, and had constant problems with diarrhea - especially in the mornings. I heard about Welchol from a GI and it was amazing. Worked like a charm and was only taking one pill a day at bedtime. Since I was only taking one a day, it was way below the usual prescription rate, so a 90 supply would last me a long time. I ran out of brand name Welchol about 6 months ago and was switched to the generic when I had to get a new prescription. I've been having problems ever since. I'm now taking 4 pills a day. There definitely seems to be a difference. I'm also wondering if the manufacturer of the generic might make a difference."

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I developed IBS-D about 7 years ago. I had accidents at my workplace, and in the car heading to work. (Almost always in the morning.) I have tried a number of things and nothing helped more than a day or so. My doc finally prescribed colsevelam for the uncontrollable bowel motions to me just a couple weeks ago. I have been taking it for just 10 days, and while I have had some very good days, I have had some huge relapses. I am curious how long it takes to work for most people, and whether it is better to take at morning or before bed. Also, do you all take with a meal or not? My doctor prescribed three tabs (huge) once a day, and I have been taking in the morning. Interested in all tips from actual users. The good days have been amazing and if I can get all or mostly all good days, I would rate this a 10!! Until I know for sure, the rating is just in the middle."

Dsale · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "After having my gallbladder take out I was told to be careful what I ate. No fatty foods, etc and I would get back to normal in a couple months. After a 18 month period with diarrhea up to 10 times a day I went to my nurse practitioner and she gave me welchol. I take one tablet at noon and two with myself evening meal. After 2 weeks I have my life back."

Nibby · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 1, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I’ve had leakage from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and this is the only med to stop diarrhea safely. Anti diarrhea meds make me so constipated."

Tishayoung · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I wanted to reply to GFgal. I have gone through a lot as well. It was bad for about 10 years (I am so sorry you’re going through this at only 21 ,I can’t even imagine ). Then I got my gallbladder out. After that I couldn’t really leave the house. But then I found my Doctor and he put me on Colesevelam and it changed my life. He also put me on the 650 tabs and started me at 2 at bedtime then told me that I could take up 6 until it worked. So I think it might be normal. How is working for you? I hope it’s helping you!!!! Tisha March 28, 2019"

GFgal February 25, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I was diagnosed with Celiac disease when I was 16. With a GF diet I had it all under control until this past summer. My symptoms came back full swing and with no indication of why. I had colonoscopies, endoscopes, MRIs, biopsies, etc. Doc discovered BAM (Bile acid malabsorption) as the cause for my diarrhea and cramping which occurred EVERY time I’d eat anything. It got in the way of my schooling, social life, work,e ven running errands. It’s almost ludicrous the amount of things it stopped me from doing as it got more unpredictable. Not a way to live at 21. We’re doing a trial of colesevelam. I take 3 tabs twice daily with meals which seems like a lot to me, but it is working so far. Some days I pair it with Imodium but that’s only if I don’t take colesevelam tabs at the exact same time each morning/evening. I am concerned about how it interacts with BC pills because of the amount I take each day (6 pills at 625 mg). Has anyone else been prescribed that high of a dosage? Did they lower it over time?"

Fire · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I take a lower dose than prescribed for high cholesterol. I also have had problem with diarrhea since gallbladder/and Nissan procedure. This has given me my life back taking two tablets once a day in the morning has solved my post gallbladder removal diarrhea"

JD December 13, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I've been using Welchol for years due to bile salts and IBS and it was a game changer for me. Insurance switched me to Generic a few months back and I am back to have chronic bouts of diarrhea every time I eat or drink something. Are there others out there with similar experience?"

Emmy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Had my gall bladder out and a few months later starting getting diarrhea no matter what I ate. Starting living on lomotil 8 pills a day. Then a GI Dr told me about Welchol. The miracle cure was amazing. Started with 6 pills down to 1 a day and feeling great. THEN I WAS GIVEN THE NEW GENERIC. I am backing to needing lomotil...not as bad as before but was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the generic. I want to go back to the brand label but my insurance will probably not pay for it"

Okeycokey · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Changed my life. I have Crohns and had 2 bowel resections, decades of diarrhoea which vanished with these brilliant tablets. I take 3 every time I eat. One before the meal, one in the middle of the meal, one after the meal. Plenty of fluid with them. So sad that I went so many years before this simple remedy was prescribed for me."

Peter · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 13, 2018

For High Cholesterol: "35-year-old Caucasian male. I take Lodalis along with Repatha and Ezetimibe for high cholesterol. This is now year 3. I have severe hip pain most days but no other side effects. It is tolerable and has lowered my cholesterol substantially. Recommended if you can afford it."

Swims with Fish · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "My doctor prescribed this in powder form for my cholesterol and triglycerides. I am unable to take statins due to extreme muscle pain and weakness. This has got to be the most disgusting form of medication I have ever had. It says don’t take the powder without mixing with liquid, however the medication will not completely mix with anything I have tried. It also leaves my mouth feeling like it’s turning inside out. The worst is a sensation that it is stuck in my throat. I haven’t taken it long enough to know if it is effective and may ask for the pill form."

Pj · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Welchol work very well on the diarrhea I experienced after having my gall bladder removed. I take two at breakfast and have no fears of diarrhea any more. I like the fact they do not work through my kidneys or liver but the intestines sort of like kitty litter mopping up excess bile. These just went generic so the cost will come down. As an added bonus they will also work on my cholesterol. So in my opinion these pills are a win win!!"

suzyE · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Like a lot of other people my IBS was misdiagnosed after 25 years plus, not only affecting my whole life - changing my personality, social skills; had CBT - hypnosis and a heck of a lot of money I've spent searching for answers, treatments. My husband has also suffered silently because his life has been also affected in lots of ways. How was it missed?!!! Mine is a very long story. However I would like to find out if there is a forum for people like me, I've been on colesevelam since last September, but I still have to take Imodium, up to 10 per day, is anyone else out there taking both, would like to know how they are getting on."

mememe · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "Starting working after 2 or 3 days following 15 months of chronic diarrhoea. (post surgery). I take 3 a day."

txrere February 1, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I've suffered from chronic diarrhea for over 10 years. I've been to dozens of doctors, taken more tests than I care to remember, and been told at the end of every visit that they can't figure out why it's happening to me or how to stop it. I've been living on daily max doses of Imodium for years. This year, during a consult for a regular colonoscopy , my new gastroenterologist recommended I try Welchol, a cholesterol drug that he thought might help. It's been the best three months of my life! I started the drugs the day of the colonoscopy. I went 24 hours with no symptoms. I thought it was because of the cleanse from the procedure. But it's been three months and NO DIARRHEA. I eat what I want, I no longer scope out the bathroom when I go out. I'm finally leading a normal life without chronic diarrhea. This is a miracle drug to me, and my only question is why didn't the dozens of other doctors recommend it sooner!"

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 10, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I have crohn's disease and had my second bowel resection over a year ago. Experienced severe diarrhea and gas after every meal, no matter what I ate. Was prescribed Welchol -- 2 per day. I take it mid-day right before lunch, and it gets rid of all of the symptoms until the next day. If I ever miss a day, I'm back to square one. Nothing else seems to work for me, but this is a godsend."

Jan 2 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2017

Welchol (colesevelam) for High Cholesterol: "Started taking Welchol in 2012. To date my LDL has dropped 30%. I recently took the time to read the insert with the medication and was appalled to see that this medication contains aspartame. This is the sugar substitute that I stopped using several years ago because of the muscle pain I was experiencing. Two weeks later the muscle pain was gone. I was also diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer in April, 2015. Aspartame is suspected to be a cancer causing agent. What is this drug company thinking? Stevia is a sugar substitute that is safe and it's a natural sweetener. If a sweetener is necessary, why not use Stevia. I am weaning myself off of Welchol, and will consult with my cardiologist at my next visit."

SUZYA August 31, 2017

For Diabetes, Type 2: "I have been taking Welchol for a month. Out of the 3 years I have been testing my blood sugar, my fasting blood sugar has been the highest in the morning (I follow a strict low carb diet). I have normal numbers during the day, but when I wake up, it is anywhere from 10-30 points higher. Eating different bedtime snacks, eliminating bedtime snacks, changing Metformin time; nothing made any difference. Since Welchol, my fasting my is almost always the same as when I go to bed. The only negative side effect is heartburn if not taken with food. I prefer it before bed to lower my fasting, but I might have to change it to dinner time. Hopefully it will still help my morning fasting blood sugar. It's too soon to recheck my cholesterol."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "My story is similar to others. The first thing I would locate in a store or a restaurant was the bathroom because I knew I would have to go before we left there. I even turned down job opportunities because the bathroom was too far away from where I would sit in fear that I wouldn't make it in time. That is no way to live. After a colonoscopy and stool lab results my doctor put me on Welchol, which I call the poop pill. In my opinion, it is the miracle medicine. I take 3 every night before bedtime and I have not had any more issues. I can enjoy leaving the house and not worry about wearing white clothes. I am one happy camper!"

MsLangham April 24, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I had my gullbladder removed in 2004, resulting in always needing to know where a potty was at all times. After several Dr & 12 yrs of getting sick. I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy done where is came back normal to the naked eye but the biopsy didn't. It showed Mastocytosis (masked cell disease). Was put in Welchol before my procedure & it was like a miracle pill, after finding out what I had they changed me to Zertek & Zantak within three days I was back to getting sick. So back to Welchol I go & prob will never try anything else agian. Happy to finally not worry about when to eat & where the bathrooms are. Life is going to get better!"

Ed79 March 13, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I stared having mild diarrhea around the age of 12, around 4/6 times a day as I got older this increased and caused me to stop exercising, as it I had chronic diarrhea! I tried everything to limit it, including massive doses of Imodium but nothing touched it, at the age of 31 whilst suffering painful chronic diarrhea 20+ times a day and suffering constant exhaustion I luckily found a news paper article that highlighted bile acid malabsorption and after a few visits and another year of harassing a consultant I was put on cholestagel 625mg (colesevelam) which changed my life!! Unfortunately serious intestinal damage had been done which still causes problems with users, prolapses, blood and mucus but the chronic diaherra is cured!"

Wonderboy1974 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 14, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "For 40 years I've had to spend a lot of time on the toilet. So much so that it has now become a habit that I spend as much as 30-40 mins at a time just reading or watching you tube. Then I met my new girlfriend who pretty much noticed from the start that something was not right. I had suffered kidney stones from my early 20's and always had cramps. Then I was referred to a doctor who had the time to listen to me, who took the time to try and find the cause. Turns out I have had a very severe case of Bile acid malabsorption (BAM) for my whole life. Who knew? I was prescribed colesevelam which I now have to take 6 a day but the change has been amazing. I'm not saying I'm cured but I can live again. Don't take no for an answer."

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 26, 2017

For Diarrhea, Chronic: "I'm a 51 year old health professional. In 1983 at the age of 17 I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy). Although my painful gallstone attacks ended, like others I began suffering irritable bowel symptoms for the next 25 years. These frequent bouts of cramping and urgent diarrhea impacted my work, travel and social life. In 2010 I changed my GP and he recommended the off-label use of Wechol as a solution to my GI problems. I cannot overemphasize the profound and positive impact this drug has had on my lifestyle. If you've had your gall bladder removed and are having GI problems, please talk with your doctor about this medication."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)