User Reviews for Colesevelam

Diabetes, Type 2 4.3
Summary of Colesevelam reviews 8.3 86 reviews

Reviews for Colesevelam

Jeremiah · Taken for 10 years or more March 25, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Had IBS-D for 25 years. Daily Welchol for the past nine years has cut diarrhea from five times a week to five times a YEAR.”

LAWISMOM · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “If I take it morning and night as directed. I get bound up, so then I stop taking it and ruin my underwear as I can't make it to bathroom. Then I take it again.. and it takes forever to help me. I am either bound up or ruining my clothes. Imodium doesn't touch me..”

Lazyfast · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I've been on colesevelam 625mg for two months now I take 6 a day along with 6 loperamide an 6 codeine I have some good days but mostly bad days - I don't go out, I can't work, I don't talk to my friends any more, diarrhoea has ruined my life. I'm 30 and I have suffered with this since I was 20 I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I have been tested for everything and the tests always come back clear which is so frustrating If I won the lottery I would give every penny away if someone could find a cure for me I want my life back I feel so alone it would be so nice just to chat to someone who is going through the same thing as me”

Rabbit · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I was diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption following non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, and subsequent chemo'. Loperamide and careful diet made a difference but colesevelam solved the diarrhea straight away. Side effects included lower bowel pains, fatigue, sore throat and runny nose. I still had to avoid certain foodstuffs. I may switch between the two medications when I need to avoid fatigue.”

LB · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 2, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and suffered from diarrhea and cramping after every meal afterwards. I couldn't go out to eat at restaurants, go on trips, or leave the house unless I knew that a bathroom was close by. I finally got fed up with it and saw my doctor about it. He prescribed Colesevelam and it changed my life. I only take 1 pill a day and I experience no side effects from it, other than occasional constipation. I love it because it allows me to eat whatever I want without ending up in the bathroom afterwards.”

steve · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “does not work for my colitis”

bob January 10, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I am 11 years post gall bladder removal. Spent the first 6 mths after surgery running to bathrooms. Made leaving the house or office impossible. If you're reading this, you probably know. Doc prescribed Welchol/coleselevam - literally changed my life. Here is what I have learned - hope it helps: 1) You MUST take this with real food (significant meal) or it is much less effective. 2) Don't take before you lay down - really bad heartburn 3) play with dosage until you get the right amount and frequency - I take two with breakfast and I'm good. When I travel or expect to not eat on regular schedule I usually add 1 tablet with each meal plus 2 with first meal of the day. 4) This is expensive - even with insurance - using coupon sites like goodrx, WebMD, etc can sometimes get you a good deal 5) Suggest you get max dosage on your Rx (3 tabs, 2X daily) - allows you to get the most bang for your buck if you find a good price. I can't imagine what it would be like without this medication.”

Pj · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 9, 2020

Welchol (colesevelam): “I had been having wonderful results from Welchol Prescribed for post gall bladder removal diarrhea. Before Christmas I filled my prescription with generic ...BIG MISTAKE... Trust me they do not work...went back tp Welchol brand...never use generic again!!”

linda · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Suffered IBS with chronic diarrhea for many years, had many days off work and many late starts due to mornings being the worst for me. I came across this site and asked my doctor if I could try these as I also have high cholesterol and cannot tolerate satins. I take 2 tablets before bed and I have never had any diarrhea issues since, no diarrhea at all any more - my life has changed so much and I feel I can go places without having to worry about having accidents. I no longer take any immodium at all.”

Ken · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2019

Welchol (colesevelam) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: “The side effects of Welchol were terrible--constipation, nausea and back pain. My doctor recommended taking one tablet every other day at suppertime. This did not work. I still suffered constipation, nausea and stomach cramps. When I vomited, I decided to stop taking this medication. My symptoms went away, thankfully.”

Anonymous December 11, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I have chronic Crohns disease and had my gallbladder out 9 years ago. I always had diarrhea but after gallbladder removal it got so bad I couldn't leave the house. I stopped seeing friends and going out socially as I always needed the toilet. After 8 years of painful stomach cramps and constant diarrhea A consultant at the hospital mentioned bile acid malabsortion. I take one tablet 3 times a day with food. This medication has changed my life I feel normal again after being in agony and needing the loo literally 10 times a day. I had my first holiday in 10 years this summer. This medication has given me my life back!!!”

Anonymous August 29, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I have had IBS my whole life. I would take Imodium in my twenties before any outing and while it controlled diarrhea it made me nauseous, jittery and constipated. So I avoided dinners out, dreaded all away from the home festivities, much to my active families shagrin. Then my Dr. prescribed welchol around 40 years old I am 49 now. Up to six a day as needed. Seemed like a lot. I started with 2. Now I only take one before meals out and start a couple of days ahead of time if I will be traveling (on the road food UGH!) I have a life now, still watch my main triggers though, nothings fail proof. Just have to experiment with it to see what works for you. But I thank God for the day I got my life back. My family does too! Very expensive when I didn’t have insurance so I bought it 7 to 10 pills at time.”

GFgal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 16, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Responding to Tishayoung- I have been on it for a few months consistently now, and I've noticed its a very strong dosage that causes nausea if I don't eat enough food with it, and yet I still have good/bad days on it. I did a trial where I quit taking it, and I had diarrhea nearly instantly the next morning. So it definitely DOES work to some extent, but I still find myself having to take imodium alongside it which seems ridiculous at 6 pills/day. Maybe from what I'm reading, Welchol works better than the generic? Has anyone else got any input on this? I know generics can differ a little, but I'm willing to switch to the brand if it works better! Glad its working well for those who I've read about on here though.”

twinklepott · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 8, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “This drug colesevelam changed my life, I had been suffering with chronic diarrhea and it helps to keep it manageable, without it I live in the bathroom regardless of what I eat.”

mike · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 5, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I have had IBS my whole life with hemorrhoids. I had prostate radiaiton proton three years ago and bleed all the time only a small amount at a time. I have had 7 bandings for hemorrhoids. I have been taking Welchol for diarrhea one twice daily and it is working well for one year. My normal pattern is two days of no bms and then the third day I have three normal bms and then 2 bms of diahrrea. Don't know what to do. Any help. Is this normal with Welchol.”

BC · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 30, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Responding to JD and Emmy I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago, and had constant problems with diarrhea - especially in the mornings. I heard about Welchol from a GI and it was amazing. Worked like a charm and was only taking one pill a day at bedtime. Since I was only taking one a day, it was way below the usual prescription rate, so a 90 supply would last me a long time. I ran out of brand name Welchol about 6 months ago and was switched to the generic when I had to get a new prescription. I've been having problems ever since. I'm now taking 4 pills a day. There definitely seems to be a difference. I'm also wondering if the manufacturer of the generic might make a difference.”

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I developed IBS-D about 7 years ago. I had accidents at my workplace, and in the car heading to work. (Almost always in the morning.) I have tried a number of things and nothing helped more than a day or so. My doc finally prescribed colsevelam for the uncontrollable bowel motions to me just a couple weeks ago. I have been taking it for just 10 days, and while I have had some very good days, I have had some huge relapses. I am curious how long it takes to work for most people, and whether it is better to take at morning or before bed. Also, do you all take with a meal or not? My doctor prescribed three tabs (huge) once a day, and I have been taking in the morning. Interested in all tips from actual users. The good days have been amazing and if I can get all or mostly all good days, I would rate this a 10!! Until I know for sure, the rating is just in the middle.”

Dsale · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “After having my gallbladder take out I was told to be careful what I ate. No fatty foods, etc and I would get back to normal in a couple months. After a 18 month period with diarrhea up to 10 times a day I went to my nurse practitioner and she gave me welchol. I take one tablet at noon and two with myself evening meal. After 2 weeks I have my life back.”

Nibby · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 1, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I’ve had leakage from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and this is the only med to stop diarrhea safely. Anti diarrhea meds make me so constipated.”

Tishayoung · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I wanted to reply to GFgal. I have gone through a lot as well. It was bad for about 10 years (I am so sorry you’re going through this at only 21 ,I can’t even imagine ). Then I got my gallbladder out. After that I couldn’t really leave the house. But then I found my Doctor and he put me on Colesevelam and it changed my life. He also put me on the 650 tabs and started me at 2 at bedtime then told me that I could take up 6 until it worked. So I think it might be normal. How is working for you? I hope it’s helping you!!!! Tisha March 28, 2019”

GFgal February 25, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I was diagnosed with Celiac disease when I was 16. With a GF diet I had it all under control until this past summer. My symptoms came back full swing and with no indication of why. I had colonoscopies, endoscopes, MRIs, biopsies, etc. Doc discovered BAM (Bile acid malabsorption) as the cause for my diarrhea and cramping which occurred EVERY time I’d eat anything. It got in the way of my schooling, social life, work,e ven running errands. It’s almost ludicrous the amount of things it stopped me from doing as it got more unpredictable. Not a way to live at 21. We’re doing a trial of colesevelam. I take 3 tabs twice daily with meals which seems like a lot to me, but it is working so far. Some days I pair it with Imodium but that’s only if I don’t take colesevelam tabs at the exact same time each morning/evening. I am concerned about how it interacts with BC pills because of the amount I take each day (6 pills at 625 mg). Has anyone else been prescribed that high of a dosage? Did they lower it over time?”

Fire · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2019

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I take a lower dose than prescribed for high cholesterol. I also have had problem with diarrhea since gallbladder/and Nissan procedure. This has given me my life back taking two tablets once a day in the morning has solved my post gallbladder removal diarrhea”

JD December 13, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “I've been using Welchol for years due to bile salts and IBS and it was a game changer for me. Insurance switched me to Generic a few months back and I am back to have chronic bouts of diarrhea every time I eat or drink something. Are there others out there with similar experience?”

Emmy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Had my gall bladder out and a few months later starting getting diarrhea no matter what I ate. Starting living on lomotil 8 pills a day. Then a GI Dr told me about Welchol. The miracle cure was amazing. Started with 6 pills down to 1 a day and feeling great. THEN I WAS GIVEN THE NEW GENERIC. I am backing to needing lomotil...not as bad as before but was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the generic. I want to go back to the brand label but my insurance will probably not pay for it”

Okeycokey · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 9, 2018

For Diarrhea, Chronic: “Changed my life. I have Crohns and had 2 bowel resections, decades of diarrhoea which vanished with these brilliant tablets. I take 3 every time I eat. One before the meal, one in the middle of the meal, one after the meal. Plenty of fluid with them. So sad that I went so many years before this simple remedy was prescribed for me.”