User Reviews for Colesevelam

Also known as: Welchol

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Colesevelam.

Colesevelam Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea, Chronic.

Reviews for Colesevelam to treat Diarrhea, Chronic

"My story is similar to others. The first thing I would locate in a store or a restaurant was the bathroom because I knew I would have to go before we left there. I even turned down job opportunities because the bathroom was too far away from where I would sit in fear that I wouldn't make it in time. That is no way to live. After a colonoscopy and stool lab results my doctor put me on Welchol, which I call the poop pill. In my opinion, it is the miracle medicine. I take 3 every night before bedtime and I have not had any more issues. I can enjoy leaving the house and not worry about wearing white clothes. I am one happy camper!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my gullbladder removed in 2004, resulting in always needing to know where a potty was at all times. After several Dr & 12 yrs of getting sick. I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy done where is came back normal to the naked eye but the biopsy didn't. It showed Mastocytosis (masked cell disease). Was put in Welchol before my procedure & it was like a miracle pill, after finding out what I had they changed me to Zertek & Zantak within three days I was back to getting sick. So back to Welchol I go & prob will never try anything else agian. Happy to finally not worry about when to eat & where the bathrooms are. Life is going to get better!"

MsLangham April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I stared having mild diarrhea around the age of 12, around 4/6 times a day as I got older this increased and caused me to stop exercising, as it I had chronic diarrhea! I tried everything to limit it, including massive doses of Imodium but nothing touched it, at the age of 31 whilst suffering painful chronic diarrhea 20+ times a day and suffering constant exhaustion I luckily found a news paper article that highlighted bile acid malabsorption and after a few visits and another year of harassing a consultant I was put on cholestagel 625mg (colesevelam) which changed my life!! Unfortunately serious intestinal damage had been done which still causes problems with users, prolapses, blood and mucus but the chronic diaherra is cured!"

Ed79 March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For 40 years I've had to spend a lot of time on the toilet. So much so that it has now become a habit that I spend as much as 30-40 mins at a time just reading or watching you tube. Then I met my new girlfriend who pretty much noticed from the start that something was not right. I had suffered kidney stones from my early 20's and always had cramps. Then I was referred to a doctor who had the time to listen to me, who took the time to try and find the cause. Turns out I have had a very severe case of Bile acid malabsorption (BAM) for my whole life. Who knew? I was prescribed colesevelam which I now have to take 6 a day but the change has been amazing. I'm not saying I'm cured but I can live again. Don't take no for an answer."

Wonderboy1974 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 51 year old health professional. In 1983 at the age of 17 I had my gallbladder removed (cholecystectomy). Although my painful gallstone attacks ended, like others I began suffering irritable bowel symptoms for the next 25 years. These frequent bouts of cramping and urgent diarrhea impacted my work, travel and social life. In 2010 I changed my GP and he recommended the off-label use of Wechol as a solution to my GI problems. I cannot overemphasize the profound and positive impact this drug has had on my lifestyle. If you've had your gall bladder removed and are having GI problems, please talk with your doctor about this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've always had issues with going but, I had my gallbladder out in 2008 since then I've been getting worse and worse...I went to 3 different doctors who diagnosed me with ibs-d and sent me home saying take a prebiotic...finally I found a doctor early this year. He was determined to help me. I was always late to work and as soon as I got there is was in the bathroom. I went to the bathroom in excess of 10 times a day on a good day. I had to carry a change of clothes to work cause I had frequent accidents. And my belly pain was soo bad I felt as though I would fall unconscious.my doctor referred me to a specialist and he put me on 4 pills once a day...I still potty like 4 times a day but it's given me back my life!"

Motherofthree2016 November 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is a life saver for me as I have diagnosed with SeHCAT that I have idiopathic severe Bile Acid Malabsorption , we're talking decades of severe diarrhoea daily ,and being dismissed as an " it's all in the mind, non compliant patient" type. My only issue is that since taking it I've started tinnitus. However I'm hoping that a new med will come out shortly or trying to take less will help manage that as it's a very difficult thing to live with."

Lil Rose Red (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 2001 I had my gallbladder removed. And since then I have had chronic diaherra. I would spend 12 hours with explosive diaherra. It made my life miserable. I didn't know when I could leave the house. The delayed gastric emptying and the chronic diaherra I started taking the drug Welchol. And I feel so good. I have had to change my eating habits. Foods that I have loved, I can not eat anymore. I can except that, so the I am no miserable. Maybe I can start exercising and lose weight."

grannybubbles July 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Thank God I came across this website and many thanks to all the others who went though what I did. For 3 years following my gallbladder removal I have IBS-D. I tried to modify my diet, limit portions, herbal medications, remove certain foods from my diet, exercise more, ox bile, digestive enzymes, etc. You name it, I tried it! The final straw was living on Imodium. While Imodium helped, I realized it was not going to be a long term solution, so I began searching for another answer and thankfully came across this website. High cholesterol was not a problem according to my recent blood work, so I would have never thought Welchol would be a solution. Wow, was I wrong. As soon as I took a print down of this paperwork to my PCP, they said"

One Happy Person! June 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was a life changer for me I was suffering with diarreah over 10 times a day and since starting on this I have finally got my life back and can do most of the thing I did before! I am not 100% back to how I was but I have not been on them for too long (about 8 weeks) but I can actually live again!"

Tomuehf May 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had diarrhea for the past 25 years. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2006 was running on 12 % for who knows how long. Quality of life socially was impaired by needing a bathroom w/o much of a warning at least 4 to 5 times a day. I would not go out in public for very long. And forget ever eating out! I tried everything over the counter and behind the counter and sometimes both with little to no relief. Finally my P/A and I put our heads together and came up with Welchor. it has been a big life changer. I am starting to do things that I haven't been able to do for quite some time. it's been a big life changer for me. 4 months now, 3 x 625 mg twice daily. No side effects as of yet. 52 yr/female."

Medusa2112 November 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my gall bladder out in 2000. Then started the dreaded diarrhea! I would be getting ready to leave for work and a simple cough or sneeze would send me running for the the shower because I had accidentally leaked. I got to the point I couldn't take it anymore! It was truly ruining my life I had seriously considered something I won't mention here because my life was ruined with a cough or sneeze or lifting an object I was at my end. I started doing research on my own and found Welchol. I mentioned it to my Dr. On my next visit and she prescribed it. I've never been happier in my life!!!!! It helped a lot I had insurance then but unfortunately I haven't had insurance in 3 years so honestly I have to choose food or liquid poo!"

Sande1325 August 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bile salt malasorbtion colitis due to a right hemicolectomy years ago and after several more operations and only been given codeine to help slow things down .I have tried questran and colestid but found them gave me sickness. My new consultant recommended these but warned that they were hard to find. But they have completely given me my life back. I never thought that I would be pain free and diahorea free. My only problem is my chemist finds it hard to get them for me and the two other chemists do not keep them on their list. They are my life saver and I can now finally eat a whole meal!!!"

foxy27 May 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my gall bladder removed in 2007. Afterwards life was miserable! My GI dr had no real explanation and after few tests put me on cholestramine powder and life was good. But after 10 years and i am someone who travels frequently and also a volunteer firefighter it was bothersome to have a juice and bottle to mix the powder every morning. Also the meds didnt always provide 24 hr relief if i wasnt able to take dose at the same time everyday. I finally checked on welchol and although pricey after just 2 wks and 1 pill daily its almost like a miracle pill!! I can now say life is great!! No break through random episodes of diarrhea!!! Im now more relaxed to travel and enjoy not worrying if ill have an accident!!!!"

Yay for me November 22, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Love Welchol...... Thanks to my family doctor I can feel normal again"

Soccer mom for 3 October 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "After 41 years of horrible pain, diarrhea and incontinency, I met a GI Dr. Who Ordered Welchol. I thought he was nuts. Within 4 days I was normal. I would willing mortgage my house to pay for this medicine. Max dose 6/day. I now have a Life. It's so nice not to be told I was nuts, nervous, anxious, need a shrink and all the other crap I listened to for 41 years. I have been fine for almost 6 years with only 2 one day relapses. My gallbladder is fine. I am one happy camper. True story folks."

Tin Type lizzie October 22, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my appendix removed along with some bowel some large and small intestines AND an ovary( due to infection... I was full of it... another story) and after 2 months of explosive diarrhea I to was given LODALIS (Canadian version of Colesevelam) I only take 1 a day but 2 if I go on road trips and I really don't eat because I'm afraid I will have to go but after reading these stories I will eat again. Thanks."

stefanny August 26, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I had my gall bladder removed in 2011. I was planning my life around a restroom and it was affecting my social life. I would not go on trips, and did not want to go to anyone's house to eat for fear of an episode. Welchol has been a miracle for me. I only take them as I need them. Sometimes even 1 or 2 a week. It is very expensive, so I'm glad I don't have to take them everyday."

what the heck January 31, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "I have had severe diarrhea for years after getting gall bladder removed. Had many tests run, tried everything. Eat, bathroom, eat, bathroom I was miserable. I signed up for medication study program after trying many different studies a wonderful caring nurse who led the studies suggested this medicine. WOW, I'm living again. I was spending a large amount of my life in the ladies room now I'm regular. They prescribed me three pills a day it caused consipation. One a day every morning keeps me regular. What a lifesaver, I was miserable."

wezzie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Gall bladder was removed in 1994. Ever since then severe diarrhea has been mostly on sometimes off. Many meds later and after seeing GI specialist my primary care physician prescribed Welchol. Great results! I take 6 pills in a divided dose. I still take 1 anti-diarrheal and 'everything' is better now."

BPoppe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Diagnosed at 18, went on until 28. I had a miserable existence for 10 years. 5 minutes after eating, I better be near a toilet. Gastroenterologists tested and tried so many different things with no success. Told my GI I was having a substantially lower quality of life with this problem. He prescribed me Welchol. The next day, I enjoyed my first meal in years and cried. Truly was a miracle pill for me."

Anonymous August 19, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "2 days before Christmas I came down with diarrhea and it continued to get worse. Many trips to the Drs and hospital and finally after 4 months was sent to a Specialist. He put me on 6 pills a day, 625 mg Welchol. I had gone from a size 20 to a size 12, no energy, headaches, pains and shakes (from diarrhea). This medication has worked wonders for me. I am so happy that I don't have to look for the nearest bathroom and stay close to it any longer. I have had no side effects either. I have gained 2 pounds too. I take all 6 pills at one time about 4 hours after my morning medicines. Welchol works wonders for me."

Swamp Mama (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Doctor said this will help my blood pressure, high cholesterol and diarrhea. I also had gall bladder removed. It works. I'm 69 and plan to stay on it. Tired of looking for restrooms."

Sharonbelle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "After 11 years, one pill this morning. Just ate lunch, no diarrhea yet. Maybe I can start living again."

old bull (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Welchol (colesevelam): "Had my gallbladder taken out, got chronic diarreha immediately even by just sipping water. I started off with 2 pills 3x a day, then got too constipated then was able to keep lowering the dose until one pill works for everyday use, but no greasy foods for me. Thanks to Welchol, I can enjoy life again and not live it in the bathroom."

welcol the works (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2012