User Reviews for Viberzi

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
6.7

Summary of Viberzi reviews 6.7 177 reviews

Reviews for Viberzi

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Viberzi does work pretty well for diarrhea and really helped with the awful cramping and weakness after a bout of explosive diarrhea. But, and this is a big BUT, it does make you feel sick for a few hours after taking it and I have noted it affects my thinking a bit. That is, at times I feel a little buzzed, get rather 'fuzzy' memory wise and sometimes seem to not hear things people say to me correctly which is a bit disconcerting especially at work. However, I can't knock it for how it reduced the horrible painful cramps and diarrhea. Trying to cut back to one 75mg a day pill to see if that helps clear up my thinking. I am afraid to stop completely right now though as I still have a few bad days mixed in with the good ones. I wish though, there was some drug or technique that ended IBS D that did not have side effects."

Alex (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was so hopeful this being the answer for me. I suffered from IBS for a year and half with nothing helping. Pretty much living life as a hermit. This med did help my IBS. Did not control completely but made life easier. My problem was 2 weeks after starting the med I started to experience depression. This was the first week in November. I never dreamed it could be this med. After Christmas my depression was very serious and I could not handle any daily activities and was barely surviving. I consulted with my family doctor and he suggested stop drug immediately. Within three days I started to feel better and two weeks back to myself. I will never take again!!"

Franklin (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "2 weeks into 100mg I had difficulty for the first time in my life with micturation have not been able to wee normally ever since, with baffled doctors for 3yrs. I'm now in chronic pelvic/urethral/balanitis pain and wee at least 20-35 times a day. No sign of infection. Doctors are now rather positive it is the opioid narcotic viberzi causing pelvic floor dysfunction & urethral sphincter spasms. So I am weaning off completely. Helps IBSD a LOT but will potentially ruin your life even with chronic pelvic nerve pain, frequent urination, fluids FLYING through you, night sweats like you've never had / severely chronic urinary retention. This drug IS an OPIOID painkiller WITHOUT the pain killer. Constipating effect (which is what we are after here) & potential urinary impacts (specifically micturation interruption & retention) go unhindered. We are getting there with a treatment that works but an unhinged opioid with zero nerve pain management, for $1200, at the expense of your urinary system is NOT IT"

H2Olive February 2, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have been on Viberzi for over 2 years now so I think I have a good understanding how this drug works for me. First few months it was a miracle all my symptoms were gone, I actually was thinking I was cured! But the symptoms slowly started to come back. Almost settle down in a pattern, few good days followed by few bad ones. However, there is one biggest difference -most of the time (not always) the diarrhea is less “violent”. We all know the feeling of urgency and panic when we need to run to the bathroom immediately, but the Viberzi lowers the urgency. Sometimes, when I feel the need to “go”, I can take 10-15 min to look around and find a bathroom. I think this is the biggest advantage on this medication for me. Also, for two weeks I was not able to take Viberzi and I had the worst diarrhea I ever had. I worry that my digestive system is dependent on it."

Andy W December 27, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medication has changed my life 100%! I have been getting chronic diarrhea for almost 30 years! I stopped working, travelling and I was afraid of leaving my house. After having my last colonoscopy last April 2018, my specialist said to me that my colon was so inflamed that I had to try Viberzi. With the help of my family doctor I had to prove to my insurance that I have tried everything else to get it covered and they finally accepted! I am now enjoying a normal life and I have no side affect, I am slowly getting my confidence back!"

Curly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medication has changed my life for the best! I’ve gone 3 years with the worst stomach pain, went to dr, cut out a lot of foods and still nothing. Just as of last year the symptoms got worse I was throwing up, every day had diarrhea, blood in stools so I finally went for a endoscopy and colonoscopy and after they prescribed me this. Pharmacist said it would take 48 hours to see an effect and on the 1st and 2nd day I had diarrhea then I didn’t bowel for 5 days and then had my first hard bowel. This medication didn’t give me any side effects and I’m 24 years old if that also helps."

Katie (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It worked beautifully for about 4 months, and then was no longer effective. My IBS is as bad as it has ever been."

sunny (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 29, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was on viberzi 75mg (IBS-D) for about 2 years. It was perfect for me. Like a miracle. No side effects and very few episodes. When I had company insurance and a savings card I paid $30 per month for the pills. When I went on medicare it was not covered on the formulary. The cost is over $1,300 per month. My doctor helped me get on the patient assistance program with the Allergan company. They sent me my medicine 3 times at no charge and then abruptly stopped. I couldn't get any explanation from them. Immediately went back to square one. 10 to 15 urgent bathroom visits before noon every day and a belly ache 24 hours a day every day."

Honey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 14, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I’ve been on this for almost 2 years. This is a miracle drug! I had to quit working as a teacher due to my IBS-D symptoms. ( You can’t leave the kids for 20 minutes while you have to poop.) Anyway, I still get the occasional “breakthrough” days, and help me if I miss a day! I suppose that’s the proof that it works. Usually I have 1-2 normal BMs a day as opposed to 5-10 toilet punishers a day. MIRACLE DRUG!!! The worst thing is that the pharmacy won’t put it on my auto-refill each month, and they have to order it in, so I have to remember to refill it early."

Hot to trots (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "So far completely normal bowel movements (1 a day!!) Had one IBS episode one day in the 2 months since I've been on Viberzi. Usually get some stomach pain right before the next dose (the end of the previous dose) and right after taking a dose. Nothing too terrible. Highly recommended!"

IBS Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Started Viberzi a week or so ago. Got painfully gassy and constipated. So went down to one 100mg tablet daily. Felt kind of better but was still have IBS symptoms. Started the second dose yesterday. Tonight I got so sick, painful cramps, diarrhea, light vomiting, terribly painful all around. It’s lasted hours. I almost went to the hospital, which isn’t like me at all. Needless to say, I won’t be taking another dose. Trying an interstim device on my sacrum next. I’ve got to get my life back. I hope others have a much better experience, but for me, I’d rather live on Imodium and try other less perilous solutions."

Jk (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I started taking Viberzi because almost every weekend, and anytime stress hit so did the IBS-D. I have had it basically most of my life to some degree (college was the worst!). Anyway, finally tried it 8 months ago and hadn’t any issues, it was great! But, then a month ago I had one episode of diarrhea and cramping . I had hoped it was attributed to some food problem. But this weekend I am having rather painful episode, not much diarrhea, So far lasting two days. I am under extreme stress, but I think this whole month will be an issue for me. Wondered if anyone else has had recurrences. I work in a GI clinic so get free samples, because insurance will not cover it."

GBD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It worked for about a year then quit working"

Rc (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have had IBS since I was 13. I am 44 now In March I had pancreatitis and was in hospital for 3 days my gastro Dr wanted to try viberzi 100 mg twice a day. At first I was not going to bathroom any and was very concerned slowly I started to go after 3 days of being on the medication. After weeks everything started to be so much better I thought this was a miracle drug. A few weeks ago I felt bad and started having diarrhea yet again the medicine seemed to stop working. I called my Dr had him run my blood work just in case I was started to get Pancreatitis again but all was ok. The medicine just isn’t working like it had been I have at least one to two episodes a week. Not sure what to do"

Angy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug was life changing...for 3-4 months, then I reverted back to my typical IBS-D symptoms. I was, and continue to take, 75 mg BID (twice a day). Considered discontinuing it, but still have hopes that it is doing "something." Like most of us with IBS-D, we have good days and bad days. My hope is that viberzi is still giving me more good ones than I would have otherwise."

Poops McGee (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I started taking viberzi because I will have 5-10 bowel motions a day, a lot of times diarrhea. It was getting worse and interfering with work. I felt really terrible after starting it. I felt ill, very fatigued, sharp abdominal pain, and at one time I felt drunk. Most of that subsided after 3-4 days. And I don’t have to rush to the bathroom so much. I had hoped I’d be one of the ones who only needed 1 pill a day, but it wasn’t enough. I take it twice a day. But the side effects are still bothering me. I get this kind of burning pain in my neck and shoulders every time I take it. It lasts for hours. I don’t take it on an empty stomach but I guess I could try eating more with it... that’s what someone else here said they do. I’m fortunate I only pay 30$ a month with my insurance but it had to have prior authorization."

Shelikescats (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This is basically the cure for IBS-D for me. The difference is immediate and dramatic. From 8-10 runny bowel movements a day to 1 to 2 of solid waste and the cramping and pain is gone. When I first started taking it, I had issues with nausea, but that faded with time. The issue is the cost and insurances don't like to cover it. Its basically a miracle drug, but its so expensive people who need it can't afford. Thankfully between the coupons and pre-authorizations I've managed to stay on it so far. But I'm dreading when the insurance company denies it and I have to go back to living in misery."

Danjo (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This is the only medication that has helped. I’ve had IBS for 20 years and it was just horrid! I tried xifaxan with no luck then tried viberzi which worked immediately. Finally I can eat without running to the loo directly after, and no more close calls while in the car. My only issue is that I must eat a lot before taking my 100mg am and pm pills. If I don’t eat enough my body will ache, especially my neck. The pain in my neck is just awful for about 45 minutes after taking my pill. Sometimes when I think I ate enough food to keep my neck from hurting, I’m wrong and I end up on the sofa for a while. My advice is eat a good size meal before taking this medication (if you have the same issue as me.)"

Kelsey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This is an amazing drug that has dramatically improved my lifestyle. I have had Colon Cancer and a portion of my intestine was removed. I am now cancer free. I do however have a difficult time controlling my bowels after eating. Usually between 10-20 minutes after eating I have to use the bathroom. Thanks to this drug I no longer have to worry about being near a restroom. I had chronic diarrhea before taking this drug. Now I can travel, work without embarrassing runs to the bathroom. Go out with friends to eat before a movie. I do have to still be careful of what foods I eat, but life with this drug on board is so much better. It’s rather expensive too. Is a generic possible? I signed up for financial assistance through the manufacturer which is greatly appreciated!!! I couldn’t afford it on my own."

Flower (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 15, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I suffered with IBS for nearly 35 years; Viberzi has been like a miracle drug. I've been taking it for about 6 months - where before I suffered at LEAST twice a week - I've probably had only 2 issues in 6 months."

vjnnc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "The medication worked wonders. Gave me my life back after many close calls and actual accidents. You may ask, why only give it a 6.... The answer is the price. No matter how much it helps I can not afford $1,100 a month for one medication. I'll suffer until a generic comes out I guess"

Barbaraanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was prescribed twice a day of the 75 mg. Being a cautious person, I took one Viberzi in the morning, after breakfast and a bowel motion. I did not have one "episode" all day, and was able to have a bowel motion the next morning after breakfast. The only negative about it is the price"

Sea Shel (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was so excited to finally find a medication for my IBS-D. I have had a severe problem for years not making it to the bathroom. After getting the medication and taking it twice a day I found it was not going to work for me. Now back to square one! What a disappointment."

Me (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I had IBS-D since 2001, I been on so many medications. Last were Lomotil and Librax. I am so glad Viberzi works, it is a godsend. I been on this for about a year. I took the recommended 2 doses a day. But it worked so well I cut it down to once a day. The results are amazing still. My dose has been once a day for about 4 months now and it works perfectly."

Vince (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Viberzi has done wonders for me! The gross details, I was in the bathroom several times a day and every time after eating. Not only that, but I’ve come close to having accidents many times. Now I can have a meal with no issues. I can even drink milk and coffee again. The only downsides are that after I take it I feel “off” for about 30 minutes. Dizzy, tired. Secondly, I have the worst gas I’ve ever had in my life and it’s relentless. No over the counter or home remedy has worked for that yet. :("

Penny (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018