Generic Name: plecanatide (ple KAN a tide)
Brand Names: Trulance
What is Trulance?
Trulance (plecanatide) is used to treat chronic idiopathic constipation.
Trulance works by activating certain substances within your intestines that help increase fluid secretion and muscle movement.
Trulance also causes changes in the consistency of your stools.
You should not use Trulance if you are allergic to plecanatide, or if you have a blockage in your intestines. Do not give this medicine to a child younger than 6 years old.
Trulance is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Trulance if you are allergic to plecanatide , or if you have:
a blockage in your intestines.
Do not give this medicine to younger than 6 years old.
Trulance is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old. In animal studies, Trulance caused severe dehydration leading to death.
It is not known whether plecanatide will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
It is not known whether plecanatide passes into breast milk or if it could affect the nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding.
How should I take Trulance?
Take Trulance exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
You may take Trulance with or without food. Swallow the tablet whole.
If you cannot swallow the tablet whole, you may crush and mix the tablet with a spoonful of water or applesauce. Swallow this mixture right away. Do not save it for later use.
A Trulance tablet mixed with water may also be given through a nasogastric (NG) feeding tube using a catheter-tipped syringe. Read all patient information, medication guides, and instruction sheets provided to you. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Keep the tablets in their original bottle or blister pack until you are ready to take one. You may remove the packing coil from inside the pill bottle. But leave the packet or canister of moisture-absorbing preservative inside the bottle.
Trulance dosing information
Usual Adult Dose for Chronic Idiopathic Constipation:
3 mg orally once a day
Use: Treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC)
Usual Pediatric Dose for Chronic Idiopathic Constipation:
-Under Age 6 Years: Contraindicated.
-Age 6 to Under 18 Years: Not recommended.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while taking Trulance?
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Trulance side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction to Trulance: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Diarrhea is a common side effect of Trulance.
Stop using this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have severe diarrhea.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Trulance?
Other drugs may interact with plecanatide, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
More about Trulance (plecanatide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 62 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: guanylate cyclase-C agonists
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Trulance.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use Trulance only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2018 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 1.02.
Date modified: May 03, 2017
Last reviewed: March 29, 2017