User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Learn more about Lubiprostone.

Constipation, Chronic 110 reviews 30 medications

Constipation 5 reviews 245 medications

4.4
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 174 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been using amitza for a week. You need to take this LITERALLY WITH FOOD. If you have eaten lets say an hour before, do not take it. It will cause you severe painful stomach type of nausea. I feel after taking this. It causes me some type of stomach cramps. Not severely painful that will cause you to curl up in a fetal position but uncomfortable enough that you know its there the weird feeling in your stomach area. I have called my doctor to see if its even worth one more week to try despite the side effects. I have not seen any improvement in my bowel movement."

Angels1111 May 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "55 yr old female, chronic constipation my whole life. I have tried everything, OTC to Linzess which did nothing. I am thin, exercise, high fiber, flax, metamucil, probiotic, and nothing. I go 4-5 days then take 3 ducolax, magnesium citrate and pray. Now that doesn't work. Colonoscopy ruled out anything "serious". Prescribed 24mcg Amitiza. Ate breakfast took the pill and within an hour I was SO SICK. I had explosive diarrhea, felt faint, nauseous, cold chills and sweating. Laying on my bathroom floor going back and forth to the toilet, thought I would throw up too. But I went! I did not take it again because of the side effects. Doc gave me 8mcg. I'm scared to take it. It's awful that I would even think of taking it again just to go to the bathroom"

coach17 May 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Amitiza contains tiny hard, white spheres. I was told by my doctor that their purpose is to rub against the walls of the bowels for stimulating movement of the bowels. My problem is that these tiny spheres never dissolve and get stuck in diverticuli. I stopped taking Amitiza 3 years ago and am still passing these tiny white spheres. It is my belief that they are causing irritation thus adding to my discomfort with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I do not want to have my bowels flushed, because I have establish a great culture of friendly bacteria and do not want it washed away resulting in a need to start rebuilding this culture all over again."

Lilarose May 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "My gastroenterologist prescribed Amitiza to help with constipation caused by a medication I am taking. I took one capsule (24 mcg) daily for five days, then began taking two (48 mcg) daily (too bigger dose?). The medication worked wonderfully to help relieve the constipation, but the side effects I am experiencing may cause me to stop taking it. I am having headaches, runny nose, fatigue, overall "bad" feeling, muscle pain, chills, nausea, and a sensation of almost passing out. I consider these side effects pretty drastic. It's possible they will go away or minimize if I continue to take the capsules, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it."

Jadah J (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "2 weeks is working very good for me no complaints. Medication has changed my life "FINALLY SOMETHING THAT'S WORKING""

Good intentions (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was forced to take this medication by my prescription coverage. It has by far been the worse experience of my life! It doesn't help with going and leaves me in horrific pain and so bloated I can't breathe. If you have IBS-C run far away for this drug! I am impatiently waiting to get the over ride on my old medication."

Athena83112 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Update: I told my doctor about all of this and his worry was that my acid reflux was so severe that it was causing these symptoms. In conjunction with omeprozole and amitiza he added a bedtime zantac. It's been a few days and my condition has improved some. I'm not sure if this will solve it but it's worth a try!"

My friends think I'm Dramatic March 27, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Amitiza has worked great for me every time that I have taken it. I only have to take it as needed. It works very fast! Usually between 30 min-1hour. Longest it has ever taken was 3 hours. No cramping or distention. Only problem is the diarrhea, sometimes explosive. Still better than being constipated to the point of impaction though. Word of caution: If you take it, beware of passing gas...it sometimes isn't just gas you are feeling...lets just say you may be in a bit of a messy situation if you aren't careful!"

AnonymousUser104 March 26, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I am a recovering heroin addict and have been taking suboxone in low-medium amounts to control withdrawal sympts & cravings, as I was not able to stay clean on my own due to underlying depression, schizophrenia, ptsd, and others. I have been clean for over 3 years and have had crippling constipation since on the suboxone. My Dr prescribed me amitiza, but told me to only take it as needed. I did experience nausea and stomach cramps at first, but now do okay with it, and have had much better BMs. "

antwan1487 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm a 25 year old woman who has struggled with IBS-C for about 5 years now. I started off taking linzess but it was too strong and I would just have to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes for hours. So my doctor put me on the 8 mg dose of amitiza and my life has changed for the better. It still takes me an hour to go to the bathroom in the morning but I'm not waiting to go anymore. The medication works. I take it before bed and 2 hours before I wake up to give it a chance to work in my body and then drink a glass or 2 of water to kickstart it when I get up. And I don't have to worry about constipation anymore. I've been on it for 4 months and I love Amitiza."

Dt192509 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I recently started Amitiza at the 24mcg dose twice a day for terrible constipation not resolved with tons of water, veggies, fruits, flax, chia, bottles of Miralax, or Linzess. I have taken it for 4.5 days with NO results at all. How long is this supposed to take to work? I have the side effects of nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, hot flashes then so cold I shiver, body aches like I am coming down with the flu, joint pain. And believe me, I would put up with all of this if I could just go! But nothing is happening. I even increased my fluid intake to 3L per day, which is ridiculous. Does anyone have suggestions out there?"

Disappointed and feeling yucky (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Took this medication for one day, that might had painful diarrhea and a lot of gas. This is not a solutions for IBS if it just gives you more pain. Do not recommend if you are able to have semi regular bowel movements. It's just too strong. Gave me heartburn and nausea too."

Kate P February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man."

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm a 70 year old woman who was prescribed Amitiza by my primary care physician for IBS with constipation. I was given the standard dose of 8mcg, to be taken twice daily. Initially, the medication worked without incident, but about a month after I started taking the medication, I started having too frequent bowel movements and anxiety. I also started losing weight which made me happy because I was about 20 pounds overweight, that is, until I saw my endocrinologist for my regular checkup. The blood work I had showed that I developed a hyperactive thyroid, which was why I was losing weight. This also me wonder if the Amitiza CAUSED the hyperthyroidism. I don't think I'll ever find that out, but I had to stop taking Amitiza."

GenieP January 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "This medicine helped with constipation but gave me pretty major emotional issues. I was very moody and depressed. It also made me pretty tired. I wasn't able to sleep. I think it gave me aches in my joints as well. I would say stay far away!!! It's not worth it! I'd rather just take regular laxatives. At least those don't make me want to kill myself."

Ashley6551 January 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "After reading all the previous reviews of Amitiza I felt compelled to add my experience. The first morning I took it with a meal and plenty of water and went to work. Mistake! Jeff Foxworthy jokes about the side effects of certain medications, like fecal incontinence. I can assure you it's no laughing matter when it happens to you. Within 1 1/2 hrs. it began. My stomach was full of gas, and I was worried sick all day about not knowing when my issue would start. That evening I took my second dose and about three hours later had leakage on my sheets. I had just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on Synthroid. The combination of my age, Synthroid and Amititiza=fecal incontinence according to the "eHealthMe" website."

62 year young woman (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was kinda shady to take this pill cuz of all the bad reviews on it. I have IBS so I thought what do I have to lose? So I took one pill and within 10 minutes this terrible nausea hit me. I even ate before I took it and that didn't help, I was nauseous all day long & I thought scew this I ain't taking it again so I didn't. 2 to 3 days later I started having terrible stomach cramps to the point where I wanted to cry. I had diarrhea & also somewhat of stools. So does the drug make you go? Yeah. Are the side effects worth it? No! This is a really powerful drug with way too many side effects. It also gave me a bad headache"

Pauly Janes December 10, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "This medicine caused me to have severe anxiety and to feel not like myself. In addition, my throat felt like it was closing up and I more than likely had some type of reaction to this medication. I hated the entire experience being on this medicine. Try the healthy route of doing FODMAPS in your diet. That has helped me through IBS issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I started on just 8 Mcg and noticed no change at all in a month so my GI decided to up it to 24 I believe. I'm on a lot of medication for chronic pain and tumor damage to my brain so juggling all my meds it took me almost a month to figure out the higher dosage was causing me to throw up every morning. I wake up and take all my morning pills so obviously my stomach is kinda empty and 40 minutes later I'm vomiting with little warning. I thought it was associated with another brain tumor as when I took the pill again at 6 I didn't get sick but by then I had a meal in me. It has helped somewhat with my bowels but I'm still on miralax and stool softener and the copay is pretty high so with all considered and how lousy the side effects are"

OTT on the toilet (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have has chronic IBS with constipation forever. At one point, I thought I had an obstruction, but didn't. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed 8mcg of Amitiza twice per day. It worked pretty quickly, but then didn't seem to anymore. I had a lot of the side effects that other people mentioned including gas, bloating, and bad stomach pains. I now take two 24 mcgs per day and figured out that if I take one before bed and one an hour before I get up, I don't have major issues. I go every morning completely and feel great for the rest of the day. I hope this helps other people trying this medication."

Kellj (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I am in my early 60s. Have had chronic constipation ever since childhood (2 BMs per week), but it became much worse in the last couple of years (up to 2 weeks without BM). After more than a year of trying to find the optimal amount of Miralax to take per day per GI doctor's instructions, and when to also include stool softeners, I was doing okay (BM every 4 or 5 days), but had occasional leakage. I started Amitiza two weeks ago at my internist's suggestion, two 8mg pills twice a day. It was like a miracle the first week - small to medium daily movements and a couple of large ones. No side effects. But now it stopped working. It has been 7 days with no BM. The last 2 days I took 24 mg. Also ate prunes and took stool softeners. Nothing yet."

LYBL098 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "My Dr. has me on an Opiod for severe spinal pain, which has caused severe constipation! So he prescribed Amitiza, 24 mcg 2x's a day, well now I am not sure I will continue taking it. When I first began taking Amitiza it worked great, so my Dr. wrote up a script for it. Well, now it hardly works at all! Constipation is nearly a daily situation for me and a painful one at that, I am miserable and frustrated! It has also messed up my appetite, I can barely eat food and when I do, it makes me nauseated and my tummy hurts as well. I am sick to my stomach if I eat and if I don't eat. I feel sick from an overload of toxin build up (maybe I am imaging that a bit)! It is pretty messed up when you fear eating and fear not eating!?"

saschbacher October 31, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been Taking Amitza for about a week and having a very limited bm every 3 days, I get terribly nauseated in about 20 minutes after taking it and last evening after dinner I became sick and vomited. My stomach is so bloated and hurts from the extreme pressure. I took the Linzess and at first it worked and after a month it stopped.I am not going to take this med tonight. I was taking 8 mcg 2x a day with meals. I might go back to Linzess and take with Miralax to see if that would work."

Maryjewe l October 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I started the 24mcg for chronic constipation. I took one pill at noon yesterday, 12am today and just took another (11:45 am). I guess I thought I would feel something by now. No real cramps or noises in my bowel, it just seems like it's not doing anything yet. I'm jealous of the people that got immediate relief... It's been almost 2 weeks since I had any movement at all. Has anyone switched from this to Linzess or are they pretty similar medications?"

Danni T October 8, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "Absolutely do NOT take Amitiza if your on Methadone. I thought I would die! After my first symptom of feeling like i was having a heart attack I immediately went to the website and what did i see "talk to your doctor if taking methadone" OMG the severe side effects are not worth it when there are so many other medications out there."

Anonymous October 6, 2016