User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Learn more about Lubiprostone.

Constipation, Drug Induced 6 reviews 3 medications

Constipation 4 reviews 244 medications

4.8
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 140 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I just started taken amitiza 24mg I read up on the side effects and I am having all the side effects at one time it's been over 24 hours and I still got the side effects. I have seen a little bit of blood in my stools but I haven't seen any today. I was put on amitiza because I am on 2 different depression mediations and one anxiety I am also on high blood pressure medicine and a sleeping pill. My HCP gave me samples of it for me to try I'm not sure if its inter reacting from the other medications that I take on a daily basic everyday."

moonpie45 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've had chronic constipation ALL my life, and I am in my 60's now. I have tried it All! I've practically lived on taking enemas every 4 to 5 days, which worked most if the time. I haven't had a "normal" BM on my own in over 5 years. It just sits there, and won't come out. I was prescribed 24 mg Amitiza a month ago. I took one at 8am. I had a great BM at 10am. It only took 2 hours to work! But it was not formed. It was almost like slight diarrhea. It felt like such a big relief to get all of that toxic poison out! The drawback, I had a lot of nausea all day, and bouts of diarrhea 3 or 4 times later. I also felt bloated for a couple of hours, which was a bit uncomfortable. So at this point, I'm a little nervous to take another one.."

BrnEyes (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "within an hour of having my first pill of Amitizal I experienced gas, nausea and feeling like I was food poisoned..... not fun."

jimmy A August 10, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Amitiza is the best if you have ibs!"

Acaramel2006aol.com July 13, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "This medication has caused such horrendous side effects, exactly like having the flu including the fever of 101°f. The benefits are non existent"

Redebee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have had constipation my entire life (I'm nearly 64). My father (deceased) was a Physician & kept things 'working' with various medications. As an adult, and after being diagnosed with Lupus in '84, it gradually worsened. I had tried everything. My normal routine was a bowel movement every 5-7 days, and then it was difficult. I have been hospitalized for impaction.In the more recent years I have been on a Miralax type product twice a day & 24mcg of Amitiza (once or twice a day). Amitiza is the ONLY thing that has ever worked. I can't remember how long it took to 'kick' in, but after decades of food not transitioning through my system, I was patient. I couldn't function without it. I feel somewhat normal now. AMAZING!"

KepuhiGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been on amitiza on and off for 5 years if not more. With a combination of IBS and opaids from pain management. I realize today that I am so much better without amitiza. As of today i am stopping this. Amitiza causes my BM to be sooooo hard that I might only go once or twice a week if i am lycky. And get just a little balls. Maybe once a month diarrhea. The worst part is when I do go a larger amount it is so hard I can break the toilet. More od a baseball. Sorry TMI ...At least when I am not taking it I still go once or twice a week but it's not so hard and little balls. I do notice Alli works for me my insurance won't pay for it but its only $60. But my copay for amitiza is 30. Now I am stuck with a 3 month supply"

Sunshine3009 June 25, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've always been a sufferer of chronic constipation. Thought that Amitiza would be my miracle pill. Here are my pros and cons: Pro - When I actually go, I REALLY go. I'm not feeling left bloated and cramped. Con - I'm usually nauseous for about an hour after taking my pills. I'm not able to go on my own. I have to use a Fleet to get things going."

Jackie Bautista June 19, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Been taking a week, for OIC and no improvement at all."

Jekp June 18, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I was diagnosed with celiacs in 2007. Emergency gallbladder removal in 2009. Over the years my digestive system has been malfunctioning. Last year I had trouble digesting curtains foods. February I was rushed to the hospital due to severe vomiting and abdomen pain. All the food I threw was undigested and my stool was black. Went through many different testing and was put on Amitiza. It was probably my second worst experience with a medication. In the first week I had extreme headaches, I felt fatigued, had abdominal pain, and severe mood swings. was put on linzess and have been going ever since! "

Lg22 May 28, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I tried this about 5 times. The first few times were ok. Then it all went downhill. I went from chronic constipation to straight up liquid stool. This happened 2-3 hours after taking the pill. Never again!"

awful. (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I'm just writing to tell people ifAmitiza isn't working for you DO NOT switch to Linzess! It worked great in the beginning, but for me and thousands of people complaining on line....it just stopped working. I actually went from taking one 145 mug capsule to THREE, and nothing! Linzess sucks."

Jo Jo257 May 16, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug had no effect on me except for a very strange taste in my mouth. I stopped taking this after 3 weeks. I was on a low dose. Will go to specialist soon to discuss."

Ibsanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Well I started this medicine on Monday and its Thursday and I am extremely sick. My stomach is killing me I sit on the toilet because I feel like I am going to go to the bathroom but nothing ever comes out. I have severe abdominal cramping and cold chills that make it even worse. My chest feels tight and I am so uncomfortable and grouchy because of the pain. This is awful I would not recommend because I was so excited about being able to go to the bathroom and be normal but this has not worked. I am not taking any more of this medication when it is suppose to help with chronic idiopathic constipation and IBS and its made it worse!! So upset I could scream..."

Nicole f (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "When I went to the doctor and told him Linzess 290 mg wasn't working for me ( I was lucky to go once a week).,He said I want to try you on Amitiza. He said this should help. Well I have been on it for 3 days and nothing!! I got a headache & chest pain the first day and only headaches on the second and third day. I can't understand why the doctors can't find out the underlying problem. I have tried everything!! I use to take Zelnorm but, they took that off the market. I don't care for this drug! My stomach makes noises and that's it!! I am still miserable!!"

Islandgirl63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I had a tummy tuck on Dec 18. The surgery was painful but the constipation from opioids from the surgery was just as bad. My plastic surgeon wasn't familiar with treating OIC so I called my primary care physician. She gave me Amitiza 24mcg. It took almost two days but it was amazing and I was so thankful. I had to remain on opioids for three weeks and the Amitiza worked so well I haven't had any issues!! Thank you Amitiza!!!"

A believer (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was given this medication at the gastroenterologist office and it has not worked after 2 days of taking it. I went to the doctor because I have been so bloated. Amitiza has worsened the bloating!!!"

bloatedtoolong (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have had Chronic idiopathic Constipation all my life. I am a 64 year old female. I had hemorrhoid surgery at 18 and again at 28. I remember as a young girl straining to have a bowel movement, I have tried all kinds of laxatives lubricant, fiber, stimulants, motility drugs, and everything in between. I have been taking Amitiza for 8 days and I've had 6 BM'S. WONDERFUL, LIFE CHANGING MEDICATION I have had no side effectsand my insurance covers most of the drug. I am so excited I don't know what to do.I would advise anyone with CIC to give this drug I tried. it has been a lifesaver for me I'm so glad I found out about it"

Rose1334#!! November 20, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had problems with IBS for several years I was on Amitiza and one of my physicians took me off it I was off for 5 years started having severe problems with my IBS again my new doctor GI doctor put me back on it and it is a God sent I am back regular again I give this medicine at 10 I have no side effects and I love it thank you"

Tee1https://lh3.googleuserc964 November 17, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've had chronic constipation and IBS for six years. When I was first given this drug it was stronger than I needed, and caused severe cramping with gas. Later, when nothing else worked, I was given it again, and I learned to take it at bedtime, so that I don't notice the cramping. It's just one of many medicines I take, but my body can't expel without it. I have developed hypoglycemia, and found on an MRI that I also have a spastic colon, so I think we're about to make some trial changes, but I'm not sure I would be alive without amitiza. My insurance only pays a portion, but I use the online coupons to make it affordable."

Nickname already in use November 1, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I was extremely constipated due to opioid induced constipation. I took one capsule and an hour later I got chills, a severe stomach cramp and the next 8 hours were the worst experiences I have ever had. It was like I knew I had to pass the stool but try as I may, It would not budge. Severe chills were the worst pain. Combine chills and stomach pain and I was wishing I could just pass our for 2 days till this passed. Eventually after 5 hours of grunting and commode sitting I passed the stool. I won't be taking anymore since the treatment is worse than the condition. This was a sample my doctor gave me at his office. I'm glad I didn't pay for it."

jerro (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "My doctor put me on the 24s twice a day with meal. Despite always taking it correctly, it always gives me unbearable nausea and occasionally diarrhea. For me personally the side effects make this medication very unbearable. However, I gave it a decent rating because it certainly gets things moving along. The first day I took it I passed stool 5 times which seemed excessive. Overall, it's up to you to decide if you feel better or worse after taking it."

Lil L September 26, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I tried the samples my dr sent me home with. It gave me some of the worst stomach aches of my life. And I didn't go to the bathroom anymore than I normally do. I hated this medication, it made me feel much worse."

Martiemullet August 30, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Caused tightness in chest and nausea"

joeRoo August 28, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I suffer from chronic constipation, mainly due to the side effects of medications I take to control pain from RRMS (Opana and Norco), and probably the MS itself. I am so sick of the nightly stomach pains, "sitting sessions" and nothing comes out, avoiding vacations due to "single" bathroom situation, non stop talking about it, and the effect it has on my sex life. My neuro seems hesitant to Rx Amitiza, and tells me to use Miralax, which does not work that well. Tried adding Magnesium Oxide, but gave me cramps and bad diarrhea for 3 days (a bit of a purging session if you will), of course followed by constipation again. I drink a gallon of H2O a day, and just sick and tired of dealing with this, it this med that good ?"

PaulMartin (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015