User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Learn more about Lubiprostone.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 42 reviews 139 medications

Constipation 5 reviews 244 medications

4.4
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 163 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Took this medication for one day, that might had painful diarrhea and a lot of gas. This is not a solutions for IBS if it just gives you more pain. Do not recommend if you are able to have semi regular bowel movements. It's just too strong. Gave me heartburn and nausea too."

Kate P February 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man."

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm a 70 year old woman who was prescribed Amitiza by my primary care physician for IBS with constipation. I was given the standard dose of 8mcg, to be taken twice daily. Initially, the medication worked without incident, but about a month after I started taking the medication, I started having too frequent bowel movements and anxiety. I also started losing weight which made me happy because I was about 20 pounds overweight, that is, until I saw my endocrinologist for my regular checkup. The blood work I had showed that I developed a hyperactive thyroid, which was why I was losing weight. This also me wonder if the Amitiza CAUSED the hyperthyroidism. I don't think I'll ever find that out, but I had to stop taking Amitiza."

GenieP January 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "This medicine helped with constipation but gave me pretty major emotional issues. I was very moody and depressed. It also made me pretty tired. I wasn't able to sleep. I think it gave me aches in my joints as well. I would say stay far away!!! It's not worth it! I'd rather just take regular laxatives. At least those don't make me want to kill myself."

Ashley6551 January 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "After reading all the previous reviews of Amitiza I felt compelled to add my experience. The first morning I took it with a meal and plenty of water and went to work. Mistake! Jeff Foxworthy jokes about the side effects of certain medications, like fecal incontinence. I can assure you it's no laughing matter when it happens to you. Within 1 1/2 hrs. it began. My stomach was full of gas, and I was worried sick all day about not knowing when my issue would start. That evening I took my second dose and about three hours later had leakage on my sheets. I had just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on Synthroid. The combination of my age, Synthroid and Amititiza=fecal incontinence according to the "eHealthMe" website."

62 year young woman (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was kinda shady to take this pill cuz of all the bad reviews on it. I have IBS so I thought what do I have to lose? So I took one pill and within 10 minutes this terrible nausea hit me. I even ate before I took it and that didn't help, I was nauseous all day long & I thought scew this I ain't taking it again so I didn't. 2 to 3 days later I started having terrible stomach cramps to the point where I wanted to cry. I had diarrhea & also somewhat of stools. So does the drug make you go? Yeah. Are the side effects worth it? No! This is a really powerful drug with way too many side effects. It also gave me a bad headache"

Pauly Janes December 10, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "This medicine caused me to have severe anxiety and to feel not like myself. In addition, my throat felt like it was closing up and I more than likely had some type of reaction to this medication. I hated the entire experience being on this medicine. Try the healthy route of doing FODMAPS in your diet. That has helped me through IBS issues."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I started on just 8 Mcg and noticed no change at all in a month so my GI decided to up it to 24 I believe. I'm on a lot of medication for chronic pain and tumor damage to my brain so juggling all my meds it took me almost a month to figure out the higher dosage was causing me to throw up every morning. I wake up and take all my morning pills so obviously my stomach is kinda empty and 40 minutes later I'm vomiting with little warning. I thought it was associated with another brain tumor as when I took the pill again at 6 I didn't get sick but by then I had a meal in me. It has helped somewhat with my bowels but I'm still on miralax and stool softener and the copay is pretty high so with all considered and how lousy the side effects are"

OTT on the toilet (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have has chronic IBS with constipation forever. At one point, I thought I had an obstruction, but didn't. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed 8mcg of Amitiza twice per day. It worked pretty quickly, but then didn't seem to anymore. I had a lot of the side effects that other people mentioned including gas, bloating, and bad stomach pains. I now take two 24 mcgs per day and figured out that if I take one before bed and one an hour before I get up, I don't have major issues. I go every morning completely and feel great for the rest of the day. I hope this helps other people trying this medication."

Kellj (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I am in my early 60s. Have had chronic constipation ever since childhood (2 BMs per week), but it became much worse in the last couple of years (up to 2 weeks without BM). After more than a year of trying to find the optimal amount of Miralax to take per day per GI doctor's instructions, and when to also include stool softeners, I was doing okay (BM every 4 or 5 days), but had occasional leakage. I started Amitiza two weeks ago at my internist's suggestion, two 8mg pills twice a day. It was like a miracle the first week - small to medium daily movements and a couple of large ones. No side effects. But now it stopped working. It has been 7 days with no BM. The last 2 days I took 24 mg. Also ate prunes and took stool softeners. Nothing yet."

LYBL098 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "My Dr. has me on an Opiod for severe spinal pain, which has caused severe constipation! So he prescribed Amitiza, 24 mcg 2x's a day, well now I am not sure I will continue taking it. When I first began taking Amitiza it worked great, so my Dr. wrote up a script for it. Well, now it hardly works at all! Constipation is nearly a daily situation for me and a painful one at that, I am miserable and frustrated! It has also messed up my appetite, I can barely eat food and when I do, it makes me nauseated and my tummy hurts as well. I am sick to my stomach if I eat and if I don't eat. I feel sick from an overload of toxin build up (maybe I am imaging that a bit)! It is pretty messed up when you fear eating and fear not eating!?"

saschbacher October 31, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been Taking Amitza for about a week and having a very limited bm every 3 days, I get terribly nauseated in about 20 minutes after taking it and last evening after dinner I became sick and vomited. My stomach is so bloated and hurts from the extreme pressure. I took the Linzess and at first it worked and after a month it stopped.I am not going to take this med tonight. I was taking 8 mcg 2x a day with meals. I might go back to Linzess and take with Miralax to see if that would work."

Maryjewe l October 18, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I started the 24mcg for chronic constipation. I took one pill at noon yesterday, 12am today and just took another (11:45 am). I guess I thought I would feel something by now. No real cramps or noises in my bowel, it just seems like it's not doing anything yet. I'm jealous of the people that got immediate relief... It's been almost 2 weeks since I had any movement at all. Has anyone switched from this to Linzess or are they pretty similar medications?"

Danni T October 8, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "Absolutely do NOT take Amitiza if your on Methadone. I thought I would die! After my first symptom of feeling like i was having a heart attack I immediately went to the website and what did i see "talk to your doctor if taking methadone" OMG the severe side effects are not worth it when there are so many other medications out there."

Anonymous October 6, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I am 55 and have been living with IBS-C for the last 10 yrs. My doctor started me on Amitiza a week ago. I am on 24mcg twice daily. I took my initial dose at the beginning of a meal. It caused pretty severe nausea, but really cleaned me out with 4 or 5 small BM's ranging from normal to explosive diarrhea. I have taken each subsequent dose in the middle of a meal, and have had the most normal bowel pattern than I have had in years. No more nausea, reflux, cramping or gas. This med is allowing me to have several small BM's daily, as opposed to using laxatives, which is miserable. I hope it continues to work! I'm using samples from my doctor right now. Not sure if insurance is going to cover it."

Magdelina (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I find the side effects terrible and am still constipated. For me it is not working and I am tired of the nausea, bloating, distention. I feel sick and nauseous all the time and have given this med over two weeks. Some people seem to have different experiences. You would have to try it. Can't wait to stop it. Tomorrow I plan to."

Suemyers3 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I went from ibs to ibs c and suffered severe constipation for three months. To the point of when I went it caused hemmoroid and a tear. I went to my gastrointestinal md who insured me it was not cancer or anything from the results of my colonoscopy eight months earlier. He gave me amitiza one or two pills a day depending on the consistency. It works well and I go more regular but every two weeks I get stomach spasms and an increased urge to go that almost cripples me. Swelling occurs gets hard to breathe have passed out from the pain. I use a cream prescribed to help heal the stretching and swelling. Bm is usually thin and flat but feels like a huge boulder. Any suggestions or thoughts? Should I discontinue the medicine ?"

Swk (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "After being diagnosed with POTS Syndrome about two and a half years ago, I developed awful constipation. Like a lot of others said on here, I tried everything! For awhile miralax twice daily worked, but slowly it stopped. I've tried Citrucel, Metamucil, Milk of Mag, Colace, high fiber diets, and nothing would help. I ended up going to the emergency room after not going for seventeen days, and even an enema did barely anything. I was first put on a low dose of linzess, but got awful bloating, pains, and dirrhea. Then I got put on the lowest does of amitiza and only take it one time daily. It did wonders, and I am one who is incredibly sensitive with meds. I take one before bed with yogurt, which helps soothe any possible nausea."

Anonymous September 7, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I think amitiza made me more constipated and I look pregnant all the time. Hate it."

Jeanet September 1, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I took Amitiza 8mcg for chronic constipation. It did help as not much does. But the side effects made it impossible to continue. I took it for 3 wks and was constantly unwell feeling and had dizziness issues. At 3 wks I stopped taking it and the nausea feeling left right away. But it is 2 wks later and I am having even worse dizziness yet. I never had dizzy spells. I'm worried this didn't go away and seems worse."

MNN8TV (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "The nausea hit within 20 minutes or so. I kept trying to vomit in the toilet, but just dry heaving. I was crying at the same time and my poor cat was standing near me crying, too. I was sick for hours and really thought about calling an ambulance. I laid down with a blanket and was shivering. This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a prescription drug. I feel so bad I will not be able to take my other meds tonight. I am afraid I will throw them up."

bbkwill (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

bbkwill August 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I have opiate induced constipation from narcotic pain killers. My doctor gave me samples of Manitoba and it worked great. I didn't have any side effects other than cramping which is to be expected with any laxative. It worked within 2 hours and continued to work throughout the rest of the day. I would definitely recommend taking this on a day u have nothing to do. It causes a little gas and stomach cramps that feel like ur gonna have diarrhea. But it definitely does the job. I also had a little nausea after taking it but it was worth it. Especially if u have been dealing with chronic constipation for awhile. Anything is better than the constant bloating and pain associated with constipation."

Megmarie (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I just started taken amitiza 24mg I read up on the side effects and I am having all the side effects at one time it's been over 24 hours and I still got the side effects. I have seen a little bit of blood in my stools but I haven't seen any today. I was put on amitiza because I am on 2 different depression mediations and one anxiety I am also on high blood pressure medicine and a sleeping pill. My HCP gave me samples of it for me to try I'm not sure if its inter reacting from the other medications that I take on a daily basic everyday."

moonpie45 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've had chronic constipation ALL my life, and I am in my 60's now. I have tried it All! I've practically lived on taking enemas every 4 to 5 days, which worked most if the time. I haven't had a "normal" BM on my own in over 5 years. It just sits there, and won't come out. I was prescribed 24 mg Amitiza a month ago. I took one at 8am. I had a great BM at 10am. It only took 2 hours to work! But it was not formed. It was almost like slight diarrhea. It felt like such a big relief to get all of that toxic poison out! The drawback, I had a lot of nausea all day, and bouts of diarrhea 3 or 4 times later. I also felt bloated for a couple of hours, which was a bit uncomfortable. So at this point, I'm a little nervous to take another one.."

BrnEyes (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2016