User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Also known as: Amitiza

Lubiprostone has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 262 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of those users who reviewed Lubiprostone reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Constipation, Chronic
3.9
Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 5.6 262 reviews

Reviews for Lubiprostone

NL74 May 28, 2021

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “After having fissurectomy and hemorrhoidectomy surgery concurrently, I knew I was going to need something to help me when chronic constipation came back. At 46 years old, prune juice and increased fiber intake were no longer working. I was already running 2-3 miles a day and consuming enough fluids. I tried Miralax but it was hit or miss- some days I had diarrhea and the bloating was awful. My family physician prescribed Amitiza. It’s been a miracle drug for me. I take 24mg once a day in the am right after breakfast with plenty of water. I do have some abdominal gas pain later in afternoon. Gas X minimizes this. I will take this trade off to relieve the constipation any day! The only drawback for me is cost. I pay out of pocket because insurance will not cover it. However, I’m willing to budget wisely so I can pay for this medication! I encourage anyone who is suffering with chronic constipation to talk about Amitiza with their doctor. It has been life changing for me!”

Sally B. · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I am a 27-year old female who suffers from life-long chronic idiopathic constipation. Much like most of you, I have tried everything the FDA has approved under the sun. Ran out of options and was prescribed Amitiza. I took two capsules the first day and was the most sick I have ever been. Projectile vomiting, shaking, faintness, heart palpitations, tight chest, and liquid stool. I was close to calling 911, but vomiting brought me back to life, so to speak. I completely emptied my bowels, the price of becoming that ill was not worth it. I have stopped taking it and am so heartbroken. I was hoping this would be it. The cure. I wasted so much money on the prescription.”

Bee charmer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2021

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I've been on Amitiza for awhile now for IBS I was on the 8 then the 24 it worked for little while. Then constipation started for months, dizziness, bloating, weight gain, overeating, severe sweating, heart races fast at times.I ended up in ER visit they thought I had a blockage. I call dr again told him my reactions the nurse said stop taking it so I stopped amitiza.”

Reconn · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I've had chronic constipation all my adult life. Tried Linzess, it worked for a month then stopped. Doctor started me on Amitiza (24 mg) and it is a miracle. I've been on for four months now. After a life of 7-10 days between bowel motions, I now go comfortably 3-4 times per week. No pain, very little gas. It's a miracle for me.”

GrandmaKitty April 23, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: “I'd never been regular, my whole life, it was always a problem that I was lucky if it resolved itself every 3 or 4 days, but then once I aged and my rheumatoid arthritis advanced to a debilitating degree, I had to go on opiates...oh dear. 7-8 days or even more of being bound up became the norm. It was REALLY painful! The only way I could help myself was to stop taking my pain meds and overdose on laxatives and enemas every few days. That usually worked within 24 hrs, but it really isn't good for you. I finally confessed to my gastroenterologist that this was going on and he prescribed me Amitiza. It took a week to work for me, but now I have the exact opposite problem. I'm on 24 mcg 2x daily. I think maybe it needs to be just once!”

Kellj · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have has chronic IBS with constipation forever. At one point, I thought I had an obstruction, but didn't. I went to a gastroenterologist and she prescribed 8mcg of Amitiza twice per day. It worked pretty quickly, but then didn't seem to anymore. I had a lot of the side effects that other people mentioned including gas, bloating, and bad stomach pains. I now take two 24 mcgs per day and figured out that if I take one before bed and one an hour before I get up, I don't have major issues. I go every morning completely and feel great for the rest of the day. I hope this helps other people trying this medication.”

SP May 9, 2019

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “After reading all of these negative reviews I decided I need to give my 2 cents in. I have suffered with constipation and stomach aches my entire life and recently it went from bad to worse and I finally told my doctor that I needed to do something. He originally prescribed Linzess but my insurance would only cover that after trying Amitiza. I have been taking Amitiza as a laxative for a week and it is a miracle, it works so well! I take two MCG pills a day. I have found 1 at night after dinner and 1 in the morning after breakfast works great. I am having normal and complete movements for the first time in years (usually I have diarrhea from taking laxatives or rocks)...it was never normal or complete. I do get a little nauseated sometimes after I take Amitiza but it does not compare to the nausea I get from other laxatives I have tried or being backed up. I have been drinking mint tea and it really helps. This drug is a miracle.”

Jennay · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 3, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation and have tried everything out there. They either didn't work or had ridiculous side effects that outnumbered the advantages. Amitiza is the best medicine I have ever taken. I have very severe constipation and take 24mcg 2x/daily. I went from no bowel motions to going once every other day on average. Advice...take it with food. The only side effect I have is crazy nausea and a horrid headache if I take it on an empty stomach. Also it is very expensive and can have a hefty co-pay. Amitiza has a website where you will get a free card to cover your co-pay. I went from $25 out of pocket to $0!”

Bill M · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “Thank God for modern medicine! Constipation may seem to those who don't suffer from it in its severe form to be a minor issue, it is NOT! When going to the bathroom induces fear and anger because you know that you will spend the next 45 minutes suffering doing what others take for granted it's time to get help. After a year of using Fleets and OTC meds which did nothing I was finally given Amitiza and It was a little miracle. Don't suffer, demand this medication don't let your MD's tell you to take OTC meds which do nothing or next to nothing. I had to suffer a fissure before finally getting this simple solution to a horrible problem. Don't wait until it's a very serious medical problem deal with it now.”

Ash December 9, 2019

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have had opioid-related constipation for approximately the last 6 months. I had tried Colace, Miralax, apricots, prunes - anything I knew of that might help. I eventually ended up using enemas every few days to make sure that I went to the bathroom because it was starting to cause me terrible stomach pains. I have only been on Amitiza for a little over a week, and it has only helped me go to the bathroom one time, and it really wasn't like a complete BM. After taking it, I have a severe headache and nausea. Is this just a phase of the beginning of taking this medication? I don't know, but I can't deal with this being sick constantly. All I want to do is be in bed because moving around makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit. I know this might not be a problem for everyone, but for me...this medicine is not helping but only making things worse.”

Rose1334#!! November 20, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have had Chronic idiopathic Constipation all my life. I am a 64 year old female. I had hemorrhoid surgery at 18 and again at 28. I remember as a young girl straining to have a bowel movement, I have tried all kinds of laxatives lubricant, fiber, stimulants, motility drugs, and everything in between. I have been taking Amitiza for 8 days and I've had 6 BM'S. WONDERFUL, LIFE CHANGING MEDICATION I have had no side effectsand my insurance covers most of the drug. I am so excited I don't know what to do.I would advise anyone with CIC to give this drug I tried. it has been a lifesaver for me I'm so glad I found out about it”

Myesha · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I am a 25 year old female. I have been constipated since I was a baby and nobody knew why. I always had to strain to go to the bathroom. As a matter of fact I had to mentally prepare. I had to focus on my breathing to try to cope with the pain and fear of going to the bathroom. Sometimes it would take me 2 hours for nothing. I have used Amitiza for 18 months now AND IF THEY EVER TOOK IT AWAY I WOULD START A RIOT. I go to the bathroom about 4 times a week. No pain,no strain, and its soft and not hard. My stomach is so much flatter. I can see I actually have a shape. I lost 10 pounds of waste the first 2 weeks. I feel lighter and happy. Going to the bathroom is a breeze. Sometimes I get nausea. But the cons are light compared to the pro.”

Ashley L. March 1, 2014

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've had IBS-C for at least 2 years. In the last year, it has become increasingly worse which resulted in me being diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction. Like most of you, I could barely go...nothing seemed to help: Miralax, Philips, etc. I was resuming to using enemas a few times a week just to get some relief. Because of this, I was feeling tired all the time, moody and having horrible headaches. It left me feeling awful. I recently started this medicine, and it has been a God-send. I went from never being able to go on my own to at least once a day. I take it with food and water. I read the reviews on here beforehand, so I made sure to follow what others said. The first day I took it, I felt a little nauseous, but haven't since.”

AnonymousUser104 March 26, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “Amitiza has worked great for me every time that I have taken it. I only have to take it as needed. It works very fast! Usually between 30 min-1hour. Longest it has ever taken was 3 hours. No cramping or distention. Only problem is the diarrhea, sometimes explosive. Still better than being constipated to the point of impaction though. Word of caution: If you take it, beware of passing gas...it sometimes isn't just gas you are feeling...lets just say you may be in a bit of a messy situation if you aren't careful!”

Anonymous July 7, 2008

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I've been taking this medicine for about 6 months, and it has made a world of a difference. I've had constipation for over 8 years, I'm in my late 20s, healthy, female, & moderately active. Things that normally would give others runny diarrhea, like prune juice, I would barely see any effect. After being tired of painful amounts of fiber intake & OTC stool softeners that didn't help enough, my doctor put me on this twice a day, & it works great. I had few side effects, and only for about a week.”

OldMan9 · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have suffered Chronic "Idiopathic" Constipation since turning 60, years ago. (Note: When doctors say the very technical sounding term "Idiopathic", that means, "I don't know, either). Have tried EVERYTHING with little or no success. MOM. Miralax, Citrucel, Metamucil, docusate sodium, Senakot, fruit juices, increased hydration, etc. Recently, my current gastroenterologist (who, otherwise is fine) prescribed Amitiza. Took it before going to bed around 11:00 P.M. ----- Woke up at 3:00 A.M. with the WORST, abdominal pain and spasms I've had in my life. Though about calling an ambulance or driving to the ER, but decided to stay home, in case the Amitiza laxative suddenly caused a BM on the way. Sat on the toilet holding on to my abdomen in horrible pain and spasms for several hours. Very little result. Will not take again.”

holy girl g · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “After several years of regular constipation and laxative use my doctor prescribed Amitiza. I took it at 6 and by 10:30 it was working. I've been taking 24mg twice daily but I think I'll cut back to only once a day because sometimes I'm nervous about leaving my house. It works too well and very fast. ”

Relieved! July 2, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I absolutely love this medicine. Was so constipated that all I did was sleep. Was miserably "full" with Bowel Motion maybe once every 1 to 2 weeks. Nothing else worked for me. Slight nausea sometimes (which is nothing). My energy level is restored. I thank God for giving man the knowledge to make this medicine.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2021

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I am 21 years old and I have struggled with Chronic Idiopathic Constipation my entire life. I was prescribed 24 mcg of Amitiza and took it for a year and a half. Overall, I had a positive experience with it and I recommend it to other people. The first two weeks I was on it, I experienced some intense nausea but that subsided after my body adjusted, just make sure you take it with a full meal. I also suggest making sure you are consuming enough water throughout the day. Amitiza worked very well for me in the beginning but throughout my time, I needed to ensure I was drinking enough water in order for it to work properly. The only reason I am switching to Linzess is because my insurance no longer covers Amitiza :/. Hope my experience helps someone out there!”

So relieved!!!!! · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have been taking this medicine for about two weeks now and I must say it is heaven sent. There's nothing worse than being compacted with waste and having that constipation sensation constantly. What prompted me to invest in this "life saver" was one day like some of you I went to use the restroom and yet again as usual I was constipated so I was frustrated and everything else so I forced my bowel movement and when I finished I was bleeding. I made an appointment with doctor and today I'm so glad I did. So, so, so happy now.”

ldav85 July 24, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I am a 30 year old woman who has been suffering from IBS-C since before my teen years. This is the only pill that has ever worked for me. There have been times where I would go off the medication because it is rather pricey. And I can tell you, I regret it every time. My IBS-C is so bad to the point where I will go weeks without any relief. And then when I am able to go, I get ridiculously sick for hours prior to the BM. The stomach pains I feel are worse than labor pains, and I would know since I have been through child birth. I only need to take one 8mcg tablet a day (with food, typically lunch time) and I stay regular. If you are struggling with a disease like this, amitiza is totally worth a shot! What do you have to lose?”

Disappointed and feeling yucky · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I recently started Amitiza at the 24mcg dose twice a day for terrible constipation not resolved with tons of water, veggies, fruits, flax, chia, bottles of Miralax, or Linzess. I have taken it for 4.5 days with NO results at all. How long is this supposed to take to work? I have the side effects of nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, hot flashes then so cold I shiver, body aches like I am coming down with the flu, joint pain. And believe me, I would put up with all of this if I could just go! But nothing is happening. I even increased my fluid intake to 3L per day, which is ridiculous. Does anyone have suggestions out there?”

Dave in CA June 16, 2015

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “my doctor put me on Amitiza yesterday. 2 hours after taking this medication I had a BM. I had gone a week without a BM. I have suffered from Constipation all of my life. Normally I would have one BM a week on a good week two. I was always in pain, full and just uncomfortable. I cant tell you how good it feels to be "normal" I have had two more BM's today. For some this may not seem exciting but only if you have suffered from Chronic Constipation would you understand. I would recommend this to any one., I have not suffered any of the side effects that others have talked about for me it has been a God send. The only negative comment I would have is the price as insurance does not cover it and it was over $300.00 a month”

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man.”

Love Amitiza! May 31, 2013

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches.”

Autumn December 17, 2019

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I started taking amitiza when I was around 16-17. I was on it for about 2 years. I had tried a lot of drugs before my pediatric doctor finally landed on this one. My family and I were hesitant to try it because of how expensive it was, but we felt like we were out of options. It was the first med that actually worked other than stimulant laxatives. I remained on the highest dose of amitiza during my time on it. I had no side effects. I eventually stopped taking it because the medicine began to stop working. It was basically a gradual decline of efficiency near the end. I don't regret taking it even though it stopped working. I switched to linzess and its working just as well. If linzess stops working, my plan is to switch back to amitiza and see if it'll work again. If you're considering trying amitiza, I would. Just make sure you try it on your day off if you're worried about side effects”

KepuhiGirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 29, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I have had constipation my entire life (I'm nearly 64). My father (deceased) was a Physician & kept things 'working' with various medications. As an adult, and after being diagnosed with Lupus in '84, it gradually worsened. I had tried everything. My normal routine was a bowel movement every 5-7 days, and then it was difficult. I have been hospitalized for impaction.In the more recent years I have been on a Miralax type product twice a day & 24mcg of Amitiza (once or twice a day). Amitiza is the ONLY thing that has ever worked. I can't remember how long it took to 'kick' in, but after decades of food not transitioning through my system, I was patient. I couldn't function without it. I feel somewhat normal now. AMAZING!”

Magdelina · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2016

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: “I am 55 and have been living with IBS-C for the last 10 yrs. My doctor started me on Amitiza a week ago. I am on 24mcg twice daily. I took my initial dose at the beginning of a meal. It caused pretty severe nausea, but really cleaned me out with 4 or 5 small BM's ranging from normal to explosive diarrhea. I have taken each subsequent dose in the middle of a meal, and have had the most normal bowel pattern than I have had in years. No more nausea, reflux, cramping or gas. This med is allowing me to have several small BM's daily, as opposed to using laxatives, which is miserable. I hope it continues to work! I'm using samples from my doctor right now. Not sure if insurance is going to cover it.”