User Reviews for Lubiprostone

Opioid-Induced Constipation
2.8

Summary of Lubiprostone reviews 6.3 205 reviews

Reviews for Lubiprostone

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Took it for a month and a half, but nothing improved. Didn't experience severe side effect either. So I'm switching to a new drug now and hope it could solve my problem permanently."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I used this drug for chronic constipation for years with good results, stopping after I retired and didn't seem to need it any more. More recently I have needed it, and it still works for the most part. You do need to drink a full glass of water with it, per instructions, though a "glass" can be as little as 6 or 8 ounces. If you don't take it with a meal, take it with a big spoonful of peanut butter or almond butter or you will likely have nausea. That is the one side effect I have noticed, but I like peanut/almond butter anyway so it's not a problem. I'm sad that my insurance is going to make me "try" Linzess now instead of Amitiza; I'm a bit leery of that product after reading the reviews."

Mimi123 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It is horrible I have nauseousness,vomiting and it doesn't work."

Cindy September 30, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "Caused severe bloating and cramping and did nothing to relieve the constipation. Just made it more painful to the point that you can't function. Tried on 2 separate occasions with the same result. Another high priced miracle drug that doesn't deliver."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "When I started out taking Amitiza it worked great at 24 mcg twice a day, but after 1 week I started to get very sick every time I took it. My symptoms were syncope, dyspnea, nausea, vomiting, loose stool, heart palpations, rapid heart rate, chills, sweating, headache, and tunnel vision. I tried taking it once a day, still had all the same effects. After talking to my Dr we decided to go to 8mcg twice a day. I didn't take any for 2 weeks, and started taking the 8mcg twice a day. After the 11th dose (1st dose day 6) I started experiencing nausea, syncope, dyspnea, headache chills, skin stinging, and cold sweats."

AllanPoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "For the past 2 years Ive been struggling with constipation since going through chemo. I finally got referred to see gastroenologist. He put me on a low dose. 8mg twice a day and I can say for me personally I feel like a normal person again!! This is the best medication no side effects so far other than having to go to the bathroom a few times a day. I've tried drinking more water, having more fiber other laxatives and even linzess which was a no after the first pill. Not having the bloat feeling and feeling like you have to struggle to go the bathroom is the worst."

mommy99020613 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Doc prescribed this medicine to me for my IBS problem. Sure, it did help with my bowel movement, but I ended up spending close to an hour in the bathroom due to the persistent pain! Into the 3rd day of taking it, it has caused me multiple horrible side effects - bloating, nauseous, giddiness. The last straw came when the following day, it even resulted in vomiting! Would not recommend this due to the strong side effects."

coolios (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "I’m not going to ever take any medication again before reading people’s real experiences on forums. I think if you tend towards nausea don’t take this medication. I’m so much worse now after one dose. I’m so sick of medication that makes me sicker. I’m going back to magnesium for constipation. I have some cramping with it but it works and the magnesium is helping my other problems. Just have to get a good brand, find the right dosage and keep it up. It’s really all they’re giving you to clean you out before a colonoscopy."

Nana (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "Have suffered from Chronic Constipation for many years. 'Specialists' may label it "Idiopathic", which sounds technical, but really means "I don't know why, either, so just take this pill, or this other pill", etc. (So WHY not do more research, instead of just prescribing different pills????) Was prescribed LOW-dose Amitiza, and the side effects were absolutely awful !!!! Spent the night in the bathroom! Incredible pain, cramps, bloating, nausea all night! and NO BM! Eventually had a very painful BM at 4:00 A.M., which left me with an inflamed, painful, distended GI system. My doctor says that I should "try Amitiza AGAIN"??? Really? ! This is insane, and unacceptable; and hopefully, in spite of this terrible experience, I think I am still sane! Will keep looking for something that does not include torture as a side effect! God bless!"

RetiredMBA (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS with constipation. I take amatiza twice a day. I lost 52 pounds in one year. It has been wonderful! No bloating anymore."

linds (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 12, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "During surgery to correct a prolapsed bladder May 2017, my urogynocologist tightened the vaginal area (cestocele?) and then did a rectocele without my permission as he never mentioned it when I was diagnosed. This has led to severe constipation and nausea, so my family doctor prescribed Amitiza 24 MCG two per day. It helped me have a bowel movement within 24 hours, but now I feel somewhat dizzy and my blood pressure is up. Has anyone else had a rectocele that caused constipation?"

Manny (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "I recently had back surgery and was given Dilaudid for pain. I have lymphocytic colitis also which usually means lots of watery diarrhea but I had been having constipation before my back surgery. After surgery the constipation has been awful. My doctor gave me samples of Amitiza and I took one 24mcg pill a day and after the 3rd day it was somewhat easier to have a bowel movement. It’s now been about 2 weeks and my doctor increased it to 2 pills a day. It is not working AT ALL. I am more constipated than I was before surgery. I don’t know whether to continue on it or not. I hate this bloated full feeling all the time. Any suggestions?"

Nursietj (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I have been severely constipated for years after 20 years of chronic diarrhea. Have had to resort to enemas and laxatives just to get some relief. Was on linzess 290 for year and a half and it was so inconsistent when it worked. Started amitiza 24 mcg couple of months ago. You definitely have to eat while taking it literally. I only have to take it once a day now and I feel like it is a miracle. I just hope it doesn't stop working. I am finally feeling normal and not sluggish and miserable anymore. It is quite expensive as my insurance pays very little and I'm out $259 per month. It's definitely worth it to me. I was probably spending more than that on OTC stuff anyway."

FINALLY RELIEF February 12, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have tried Bisacodyl and Senna in the past. They initially worked but then they eventually became ineffective. At about the time the Senna started to lose its effectiveness, I began to do daily enemas in the morning with about one quart of body temperature mineral water. But the Internet is full of people saying not to do daily enemas, so when my doctor said he had a new medicine for chronic constipation that I should try, I went for it. I immediately recognized the 24m Amistiza pills as the same ones my 90 year old father is taking. They work for him but not for me. I went three days, taking 2 pills a day, without any discernible effect, perhaps just more gas and I thought I had to urinate more often. Imagine how uncomfortable it was to not have a BM for those three days. I certainly admire the comment-giver who gave the drug 17 days before he gave up! I am back to the daily enemas. They make me feel refreshed and very healthy. I hope I can go along like this forever."

SteveWa January 27, 2018

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "just awful!"

sarajbl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I’ve been on Amitiza 24mg for 2 years. At first it was 2 pills a day, but the side effects were horrible. The doctor then reduced it to 1 pill a day and at first it worked great. But in the last year I’ve had constant, explosive diarrhea with constant stomach pains. Last Saturday was the last straw and I stopped taking it. Now I’m a little constipated and have some stomach pain but no explosive diarrhea. The medicine they give you to stop the diarrhea, while on amitiza, constipates me for a week and makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and full. I’ll take IBS constipation over that any day."

Anonymous150 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've recently started taking Amitiza 24 mcg twice daily for chronic constipation. I wasn't having any luck with OTC remedies. It took me 3 days to finally start have things move. I did experience slight nausea after taking each dose. Tolerable though. Hopefully as the next few days come and go things move along much better."

AnonymouslyfromPa December 2, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm a woman who's had IBS for 50 years. A male GI was no help—his notes said I was "too concerned with my bowel movements". Apparently a skeptic about IBS. I saw a PA, who prescribed Amitiza. I took 24 mcg 2x daily more than a year, which worked well until I started having episodes of thin diarrhea without warning. I discontinued Amitiza and my bowels worked normally for a couple of months, but the old familiar constipation is back. I will try 24 mcg once a day. I have no idea if that will work, and realize that my PA would prefer monitoring me. However, I feel at this point that I have enough sense about my own body to make this decision myself. Just be aware: even if the drug works well, your response to it may change."

Aniche (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Chronic: "If I could give a 0- I would! 22, chronic, idiopathic constipation since I was 14. Given 24mcg of amitiza twice daily for 1 month. NOTHING HAPPENED. Very very frustrating! Was really looking forward to it working so I could stop taking laxatives in bulk but no dice. Very disheartened. Onto Linaclotide (linzess)...."

Young&constipated (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "Doctor gave me 24mcg samples in February for OIC and the resulting anal fissures. We started at once daily, but it worked a little TOO well! Once we reduced it to every other day, things seem to be working properly."

Silent Wolf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation, Drug Induced: "I have been on opioid medications for 7 years for sensory neuropathy. I took Amitiza for one month and no effect. when I took movantik and Amitiza together 9 weeks now I've been almost normal in bowel movements it's tremendous."

Vince San Antonio TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "It works great, however, it did stop working for me after the first month. Apparently. I was on a low dosage once per day, but now I have put on the appropriate dosage, but because I am "backed up" I am taking Miralax to get things moving again, hopefully. Then I am to start back on Amatiza at this dosage which is appropriate for OIC. 24mcg 2 times per day with a full glass of water. So I hope it works again. When it was working, it was great. I went to the bathroom like normal!"

cvdixon29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Constipation: "I have taken two doses and it didn't work at all. Was it placebo? I have no idea. What happened was that I experienced strange psychotropic effects: lessened ability to judge distances, lessened ability to follow conversations, slower reading speed, headache, facial muscle spasm, clenching my jaw, and then a crying episode after 4-5 hours after the dose. At least I know it didn't cause my acne. I am scared to try the higher dose after reading everyone's comments and the fact that my blood pressure runs low to begin with. And the fact that my stomach is prone to nausea."

Elaine64764008060 September 13, 2017

Amitiza (lubiprostone) for Opioid-Induced Constipation: "Tried this medication for opioid induced constipation. Have been on opioids for chronic pain issues for about 7 years. Have also had rectal cancer and have a permanent colostomy bag. This medication did nothing to help my constipation. It caused severe stomach cramping after about one hour after I took it. With a colostomy bag you should never be constipated. I do take four capfuls of marilax daily. This does make me have a very runny stool. It is expensive though and doesn't taste the greatest. In fact I can hardly get the Marilax down at this point. I can't seem to find anything really to help. I also take 4 Sennakot tablets every day. I wouldn't recommend this medication."

Bren from MI (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have suffered with chronic constipation for the last 9 years- it has got got progressively worse and I have literally tried EVERYTHING treatment and drug wise and nothing works anymore. I only pass BM when I have a weekly colonic irrigation which even now is taking over 90 mins to work. Lubiprostone was a last resort- I am 7 days into 24mg twice a day and nothing except nausea sickness the worst bloating I have ever had to the point I can't breathe by the evening. My chest is tight and my arms are having muscle spasms. I am dispairing....."

HaniB1990 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017