User Reviews for Amitiza

Constipation 1.8
Summary of Amitiza reviews 5.7 244 reviews

Reviews for Amitiza

Brooke · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I take 24mcg Amitiza for IBS and it has been a nightmare. I just end up with watery diarrhea. It is awful. I'm begging for a lower dose or I'm going back to Miralax.”

Melrose · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2020

For Constipation: “Has anyone tried taking the Amitiza 24 mcg once a day and if so what time do you take it. Taking it twice a day keeps me running to the pot all morning. I can’t function this way.”

OldMan9 · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have suffered Chronic "Idiopathic" Constipation since turning 60, years ago. (Note: When doctors say the very technical sounding term "Idiopathic", that means, "I don't know, either). Have tried EVERYTHING with little or no success. MOM. Miralax, Citrucel, Metamucil, docusate sodium, Senakot, fruit juices, increased hydration, etc. Recently, my current gastroenterologist (who, otherwise is fine) prescribed Amitiza. Took it before going to bed around 11:00 P.M. ----- Woke up at 3:00 A.M. with the WORST, abdominal pain and spasms I've had in my life. Though about calling an ambulance or driving to the ER, but decided to stay home, in case the Amitiza laxative suddenly caused a BM on the way. Sat on the toilet holding on to my abdomen in horrible pain and spasms for several hours. Very little result. Will not take again.”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2020

For Constipation: “Taking Amitiza for chronic constipation and I experienced dangerous low blood pressure about two weeks after starting the med. After going off all my meds for my high blood pressure my BP still remained low and I felt very weak. Finally figured out it might be the Amitiza and stopped using it and I will see what happens.”

GeeBee · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 3, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was prescribed this last year, took it for several months, and it worked great. As long as I took it with food and a full glass of water, there was no nausea. I take the 24mcg twice a day. It's a miracle drug for me. I will continue to take this!”

Notfeelinggood · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Side effects got me feeling terrible. I was already experiencing severe bloating before I tried Amitiza now I'm twice as bloated feeling like I can't breathe with dry mouth and headache. First day taking a dose I had a watery bowel movement but after that I haven't had any other movements!”

Mouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I was taking linzess with total success then insurance wanted me to try amitza. Then I became twice as constipated and had extreme fatigue, abdominal cramps that felt like labor pains headaches and severe dehydration and my movements went from 3 to 4 days to 5 to 7 days. I became toxic. I will never take that amitza again. I swear it is nothing more than a placebo. Bad stuff. I now have to reschedule my colonoscopy because of a blockage that could have been prevented. My life and health is a joke to fidelis insurance.”

Anonymous February 21, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “I have seen some of the comments on here about mood changes and how their doctors said that is not a side effect. WRONG. If you have a specific mood disorder I highly suggest to avoid the drug to avoid a crisis. Here is a few of extreme side effects this drug can have. "Serious side effects of Amitiza: Severe diarrhea; Swelling of arms and/or legs; Changes in mental health; Mood changes" I wanted to start the medication because I take 80mg of Oxycodone and 30mg XR of morphine a day and I cannot not go at all without assistance. Laxatives do not work anymore and the pain and hassle of enemas and suppositories' are getting to be the worst. I am still unsure about what to do …..”

Onegoodone79 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2020

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “I've battled OIC, since 2014, was put on many things, including Movantic WHICH WAS HORRIBLE...HAD HUGE CRAMPING PROBLEMS. Finally I was put on this Amitiza ...AND ITS WONDERFUL!! NAVY VET !!”

J P February 12, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “Almost immediate extreme nausea and dizziness. Had to be almost dragged into bed. Couldn't stand up. Cold sweats. My cardiologist called to see why extreme drop in my blood pressure flagged my heart monitor. My internist had given me samples. I would not take even one more pill for any amount of money. Returning to the doctor!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This drug was my worst nightmare, It took about 3 to 4 weeks, I started out sad, But 1st let me add that usually I am the happiest person in the whole wide world so I thought I would be OK, big mistake. A few weeks into taking the medication I started feeling like I was going crazy part of me wanted to slash someone's throat and the other half of me was was all glitter and rainbows! The doctor said that this could not happen there was no way this medication would cause this reaction so I waited 6 months and tried it again and sure enough as soon as I started to feel sad and angry I stopped this medication I would not recommend”

Jingle bells · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “Why did I feel like I was having a heart attack and felt like possibly I might end up with a stroke when I took this medication. I wanted to ask my bf if I could take one of his high blood pressure meds because I had such a bad headache worse than I had ever had and couldn’t breathe. Is this a side effect?”

Hallie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 29, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was prescribed amitiza for IBS. I’ve tried both the higher and lower dose. As others have mentioned it causes nausea, bloating, and cramps. The higher dose caused all that plus headaches. It took several weeks to “work” and even then I continued to have issues. I’ve been on it about 8 months now and I’m considering stopping the medication as it no longer does anything. Though I must say it worked well for a period of time.”

Autumn December 17, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I started taking amitiza when I was around 16-17. I was on it for about 2 years. I had tried a lot of drugs before my pediatric doctor finally landed on this one. My family and I were hesitant to try it because of how expensive it was, but we felt like we were out of options. It was the first med that actually worked other than stimulant laxatives. I remained on the highest dose of amitiza during my time on it. I had no side effects. I eventually stopped taking it because the medicine began to stop working. It was basically a gradual decline of efficiency near the end. I don't regret taking it even though it stopped working. I switched to linzess and its working just as well. If linzess stops working, my plan is to switch back to amitiza and see if it'll work again. If you're considering trying amitiza, I would. Just make sure you try it on your day off if you're worried about side effects”

B · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I've been experiencing constipation for over 15 years. I was so miserable. I tried everything nothing worked, so I had to take herbal teas with Senna or cleanses to go. When I first tried Amitiza 8mcg it didn't work then finally after about a week and half it started working. I just have to drink a lot of water and take 2 bulk laxatives with it. I did experience some gas and bloating.. but it's better than being full of poop. I'm so thankful. I finally don't look pregnant anymore! Yayyy”

Ash December 9, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have had opioid-related constipation for approximately the last 6 months. I had tried Colace, Miralax, apricots, prunes - anything I knew of that might help. I eventually ended up using enemas every few days to make sure that I went to the bathroom because it was starting to cause me terrible stomach pains. I have only been on Amitiza for a little over a week, and it has only helped me go to the bathroom one time, and it really wasn't like a complete BM. After taking it, I have a severe headache and nausea. Is this just a phase of the beginning of taking this medication? I don't know, but I can't deal with this being sick constantly. All I want to do is be in bed because moving around makes me feel like I'm going to projectile vomit. I know this might not be a problem for everyone, but for me...this medicine is not helping but only making things worse.”

Stew November 27, 2019

For Constipation: “I I have tried both Linzess as well as Amitiza both have very harsh side effects that far out way the results. They mostly release water that has been forced by the meds into the digestive system which in return creates the movement of mostly water, with harsh side effects”

Elaine November 3, 2019

For Constipation: “I recently took one 24mg Amitiza pill, prescribed by my physician, and within an hour, I thought I was dying! I had 8 bowel movements in 2 hours, and 6 more in the next 5 hours. The stomach pain was unbearable, accompanied by a horrid headache. My mouth was so dry that I could not swallow; I could not calm my rapid breathing; I was freezing cold and trembling uncontrollably. To say that my husband and I were terrified is an understatement! We were at the point of calling 911, when the stomach pain began to subside --- slightly. Two days later, I am terribly dehydrated and weak. Im glad this works for some people, but if you are a 135lb senior citizen, please stay away from it!!!!”

eljay · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I could not leave the house after breakfast, as the Amitiza was making me poop small bits of poo every 30 minutes from breakfast to early afternoon. Who can live that way?”

honesty · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 24, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have been taking Amitiza 24 mcg twice a day for several years. I also take psyillium fiber and drink water up to 2 quarts a day. Since my work does not support a lot of walking, I tend to get abdominal bloating in the afternoon due to incomplete bowel emptying and inactivity. When my stool becomes dark brown, I may experience diarrhea as my colon is attempting to move hard stool. When my stooI is soft formed and a light tan color, I experience a feeling of complete emptying and no abdominal bloating or diarrhea. This is a daily challenge to ensure sufficient exercise, water intake, and fiber rich and roughage producing foods. I feel that the medication would be more effective if the dosage could be titrated or time-released to meet individual patient needs.”

Tummy issue · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “Oh my no no no! Avoid this. I took one 24mg pill with food. 30 mins later felt lightheaded and drenched in sweat. Vomited all over the floor. Couldn’t even make it to the bathroom and more vomit hit. Then the horrible loose stool started. So loose you can’t get off the toliet or you’ll have a mess. Finally took a zofran to ease the vomiting. I feel so much worse. Not worth it! Avoid this Med. I feel like death”

Sue · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “The first night, I was sick as a dog. Felt like flu. I even woke up to find I had an accident in bed. Very disturbing. Then couldn’t go for a few days, had a very small bowel movement then went several days without. Had constant stomach cramps, bloating, total unease and feeling ill. Had to take Miralax just to produce a small bowel movement to get relief. After almost 2 weeks and almost ending up back in hospital for hypo motility and gastroparesis, I decided it was time to stop. I really had very little relief but a lot of nausea, cramps, uncomfortable flu like sickness.”

JL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “If I could give this less than one star for how sick it made my son, I would. Unfortunately the doctors didn’t realize it was the Amitiza and kept increasing it. He was in so much pain daily and the throwing up never seemed to end. He could not attend school and developed severe depression and anxiety which he still has years after stopping the Amitiza. The disturbing thing is the doctors kept saying oh no it can’t be the Amitiza, that would be such a rare side affect. When the doctor was out of ideas and ready to place a feeding tube into my son so he could obtain nutrition, I decided that I was done with Amitiza and other drugs. I thought it best to go back to before all of these problems. Within a day of stopping the throwing up was down to maybe 1-2 times a day, from the 8-10 times per day. Not even an apology from the doctor, in fact, he made a joke about it. I am sure it works for some, I would say proceed with caution and good luck.”

bestpup · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2019

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “Millie I have been taking Amitiza for over a year. Like other's I was given samples for the first month. Because my OIC (opioid-induced constipation) was severe I continued to take it hoping it would kick in and work on a regular basis. Unfortunately it never worked. The side effects were bloating, belching and stomach discomfort. I've since tried another OIC med (Linzess.) When all else fails, I go back to milk of magnesia on an as-needed basis. My biggest regret was staying with the Amitiza for almost two years.”

Ace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2019

For Opioid-Induced Constipation: “On Amitiza I had side effects of reoccurring UTIs and stomach pain with bloating. Not good!!”