User Reviews for Amitiza

Learn more about Amitiza.

Constipation, Chronic 111 reviews 30 medications

Opioid-Induced Constipation 4 reviews 4 medications

2.5
Summary of Amitiza reviews 182 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Amitiza

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I have been on opioid medications for 7 years for sensory neuropathy. I took Amitiza for one month and no effect. when I took movantik and Amitiza together 9 weeks now I've been almost normal in bowel movements it's tremendous."

Vince San Antonio TX (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "It works great, however, it did stop working for me after the first month. Apparently. I was on a low dosage once per day, but now I have put on the appropriate dosage, but because I am "backed up" I am taking Miralax to get things moving again, hopefully. Then I am to start back on Amatiza at this dosage which is appropriate for OIC. 24mcg 2 times per day with a full glass of water. So I hope it works again. When it was working, it was great. I went to the bathroom like normal!"

cvdixon29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "I have taken two doses and it didn't work at all. Was it placebo? I have no idea. What happened was that I experienced strange psychotropic effects: lessened ability to judge distances, lessened ability to follow conversations, slower reading speed, headache, facial muscle spasm, clenching my jaw, and then a crying episode after 4-5 hours after the dose. At least I know it didn't cause my acne. I am scared to try the higher dose after reading everyone's comments and the fact that my blood pressure runs low to begin with. And the fact that my stomach is prone to nausea."

Elaine64764008060 September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Tried this medication for opioid induced constipation. Have been on opioids for chronic pain issues for about 7 years. Have also had rectal cancer and have a permanent colostomy bag. This medication did nothing to help my constipation. It caused severe stomach cramping after about one hour after I took it. With a colostomy bag you should never be constipated. I do take four capfuls of marilax daily. This does make me have a very runny stool. It is expensive though and doesn't taste the greatest. In fact I can hardly get the Marilax down at this point. I can't seem to find anything really to help. I also take 4 Sennakot tablets every day. I wouldn't recommend this medication."

Bren from MI (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "The first time I took this it worked in less than a half hour. The second and third day, a little over an hour. The fourth day, nothing happened. So I took a second pill at bedtime, but nothing happened. I'm so disappointed. I really needed this to work."

EeyoreLover (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "I've been on Amitiza for about a year, and while it works, it doesn't work as well as If like it to. I tried the 24 mcg dose at first but it was way too strong, definitely makes you run to the bathroom all day. I then switched to the 8mcg capsules twice a day. If I take them on an empty stomach, I get really nauseated, so I usually take them with a meal. I still had to use Miralax and fiber along with the Amitiza to ensure I stayed regular. Sometimes with all of this, I still got constipated, so I would take a 24mcg dosage and deal with the aftermath. When I did have a BM with Amitiza, it wasn't a "complete " one. It would make me poop out water, but it felt like the bulk of the stool was still left inside. I stopped taking it."

Nurse87lin (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "In the first week I took Amitiza, I thought it was going to be a miracle answer to my chronic constipation. But I had a side effect of severe headaches almost every day....and sometimes all day long. Since I already have migraines, I blamed it on them getting worse.....even though the symptoms were different. First the headache would start, and within 5-10 minutes a gush of uncontrollable diarrhea. I kept blaming it all on migraines and seeking treatment for them. Finally, because of the expense of this one medication and having to take so many more, I had to stop taking Amitiza. Within just a few days, the headaches with diarrhea stopped. This is an excellent product if you don't have the side effects."

Bunky O June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "Incredible experience. I started having chronic constipation shortly after joining the military. I had intense constipation all the time and was completely dependent on laxatives. After one year, I had a colonoscopy to see what was the problem, but there was nothing. I've met with a dietician, made a food log, tried tons of fiber, supplements, but nothing worked. After one more year, Miralax stopped working, and I was prescribed Amitiza. Amitiza immediately made me regular, I've only taken four pills total, after 3 weeks, and I've been the most regular ever in two years. Only fault is it makes me nauseous for a couple hours. I wish I had this years ago!"

Owen111111 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opioid-Induced Constipation "Did not help my OIC at all. In my opinion it is no better than an otc stool softener."

Katmom7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I started taking Amitiza 8mcg twice a day about a year ago. At first I didn't notice anything. I have really bad bloating issues due to slow motility in large intestines. He then increased my dosage to 24 mcg twice a day and that's when my bloating decreased. Im able to eat foods I couldn't eat before. It does give me diarrhea badly at times but it doesn't bother me. I would give it a 10 but I still feel like there is something in my low intestines. Like it's not completely moving everything out of me. If I don't take it for a few days I do notice the bloating get worse. I definitely feel a whole lot better taking it than if I don't."

Atlantissummerset (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been using amitza for a week. You need to take this LITERALLY WITH FOOD. If you have eaten lets say an hour before, do not take it. It will cause you severe painful stomach type of nausea. I feel after taking this. It causes me some type of stomach cramps. Not severely painful that will cause you to curl up in a fetal position but uncomfortable enough that you know its there the weird feeling in your stomach area. I have called my doctor to see if its even worth one more week to try despite the side effects. I have not seen any improvement in my bowel movement."

Angels1111 May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "55 yr old female, chronic constipation my whole life. I have tried everything, OTC to Linzess which did nothing. I am thin, exercise, high fiber, flax, metamucil, probiotic, and nothing. I go 4-5 days then take 3 ducolax, magnesium citrate and pray. Now that doesn't work. Colonoscopy ruled out anything "serious". Prescribed 24mcg Amitiza. Ate breakfast took the pill and within an hour I was SO SICK. I had explosive diarrhea, felt faint, nauseous, cold chills and sweating. Laying on my bathroom floor going back and forth to the toilet, thought I would throw up too. But I went! I did not take it again because of the side effects. Doc gave me 8mcg. I'm scared to take it. It's awful that I would even think of taking it again just to go to the bathroom"

coach17 May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Amitiza contains tiny hard, white spheres. I was told by my doctor that their purpose is to rub against the walls of the bowels for stimulating movement of the bowels. My problem is that these tiny spheres never dissolve and get stuck in diverticuli. I stopped taking Amitiza 3 years ago and am still passing these tiny white spheres. It is my belief that they are causing irritation thus adding to my discomfort with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I do not want to have my bowels flushed, because I have establish a great culture of friendly bacteria and do not want it washed away resulting in a need to start rebuilding this culture all over again."

Lilarose May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "My gastroenterologist prescribed Amitiza to help with constipation caused by a medication I am taking. I took one capsule (24 mcg) daily for five days, then began taking two (48 mcg) daily (too bigger dose?). The medication worked wonderfully to help relieve the constipation, but the side effects I am experiencing may cause me to stop taking it. I am having headaches, runny nose, fatigue, overall "bad" feeling, muscle pain, chills, nausea, and a sensation of almost passing out. I consider these side effects pretty drastic. It's possible they will go away or minimize if I continue to take the capsules, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it."

Jadah J (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "2 weeks is working very good for me no complaints. Medication has changed my life "FINALLY SOMETHING THAT'S WORKING""

Good intentions (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was forced to take this medication by my prescription coverage. It has by far been the worse experience of my life! It doesn't help with going and leaves me in horrific pain and so bloated I can't breathe. If you have IBS-C run far away for this drug! I am impatiently waiting to get the over ride on my old medication."

Athena83112 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Update: I told my doctor about all of this and his worry was that my acid reflux was so severe that it was causing these symptoms. In conjunction with omeprozole and amitiza he added a bedtime zantac. It's been a few days and my condition has improved some. I'm not sure if this will solve it but it's worth a try!"

My friends think I'm Dramatic March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "Amitiza has worked great for me every time that I have taken it. I only have to take it as needed. It works very fast! Usually between 30 min-1hour. Longest it has ever taken was 3 hours. No cramping or distention. Only problem is the diarrhea, sometimes explosive. Still better than being constipated to the point of impaction though. Word of caution: If you take it, beware of passing gas...it sometimes isn't just gas you are feeling...lets just say you may be in a bit of a messy situation if you aren't careful!"

AnonymousUser104 March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Drug Induced "I am a recovering heroin addict and have been taking suboxone in low-medium amounts to control withdrawal sympts & cravings, as I was not able to stay clean on my own due to underlying depression, schizophrenia, ptsd, and others. I have been clean for over 3 years and have had crippling constipation since on the suboxone. My Dr prescribed me amitiza, but told me to only take it as needed. I did experience nausea and stomach cramps at first, but now do okay with it, and have had much better BMs. "

antwan1487 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I'm a 25 year old woman who has struggled with IBS-C for about 5 years now. I started off taking linzess but it was too strong and I would just have to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes for hours. So my doctor put me on the 8 mg dose of amitiza and my life has changed for the better. It still takes me an hour to go to the bathroom in the morning but I'm not waiting to go anymore. The medication works. I take it before bed and 2 hours before I wake up to give it a chance to work in my body and then drink a glass or 2 of water to kickstart it when I get up. And I don't have to worry about constipation anymore. I've been on it for 4 months and I love Amitiza."

Dt192509 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "I recently started Amitiza at the 24mcg dose twice a day for terrible constipation not resolved with tons of water, veggies, fruits, flax, chia, bottles of Miralax, or Linzess. I have taken it for 4.5 days with NO results at all. How long is this supposed to take to work? I have the side effects of nausea, stomach cramps, bloating, hot flashes then so cold I shiver, body aches like I am coming down with the flu, joint pain. And believe me, I would put up with all of this if I could just go! But nothing is happening. I even increased my fluid intake to 3L per day, which is ridiculous. Does anyone have suggestions out there?"

Disappointed and feeling yucky (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Took this medication for one day, that might had painful diarrhea and a lot of gas. This is not a solutions for IBS if it just gives you more pain. Do not recommend if you are able to have semi regular bowel movements. It's just too strong. Gave me heartburn and nausea too."

Kate P February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic "I was in the hospital for a week in January with colitis. Was prescribed Amitiza when I was released, 2 capsules per day of 240mcg. I started taking the med. and after 3 days I was having very lose bowel movements 4 or 5 times a day. I had also been told to go on the Mediterranean diet. I only had nausea the first couple of days. I finally learned to take the med. only once a day and did so for a week. I started skipping the med for 1 day and then 2 days. I started having regular bowel movements every morning so (with the Dr.'s approval) I only take the medicine as needed. If you follow the directions VERY CAREFULLY some of the symptoms will go away, I am a 79 year old extremely active man."

Active Pilot February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I'm a 70 year old woman who was prescribed Amitiza by my primary care physician for IBS with constipation. I was given the standard dose of 8mcg, to be taken twice daily. Initially, the medication worked without incident, but about a month after I started taking the medication, I started having too frequent bowel movements and anxiety. I also started losing weight which made me happy because I was about 20 pounds overweight, that is, until I saw my endocrinologist for my regular checkup. The blood work I had showed that I developed a hyperactive thyroid, which was why I was losing weight. This also me wonder if the Amitiza CAUSED the hyperthyroidism. I don't think I'll ever find that out, but I had to stop taking Amitiza."

GenieP January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation "This medicine helped with constipation but gave me pretty major emotional issues. I was very moody and depressed. It also made me pretty tired. I wasn't able to sleep. I think it gave me aches in my joints as well. I would say stay far away!!! It's not worth it! I'd rather just take regular laxatives. At least those don't make me want to kill myself."

Ashley6551 January 19, 2017