Amitiza - how long does it take to work? Is it better to take after dinner?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 1, 2022.
The clinical studies of Amitiza show that compared to a placebo more people have a bowel motion within the first 24 hours of taking it, and during the first week there is an increase in the number of bowel motions.
Yes, you can take it in the evening after food.
The usual dose for IBS-C in adults with normal liver function is 8mg twice daily with food and water.
For more information on Amitiza see: https://www.drugs.com/amitiza.html
Related medical questions
- Which drugs cause opioid-induced constipation?
- Can antibiotics cause constipation?
- When is the best time to take MiraLAX?
- Can ibuprofen cause constipation?
- Does gabapentin cause constipation?
- What type of pain does fibromyalgia cause?
- What is the maximum dosage for Colace stool softener at one time?
- Does tramadol cause constipation?
- The Do's and Don'ts of Treating Constipation
- Fleet Enema - What is the difference between constipation and fecal impaction?
- Can Adderall cause constipation?
- Amitiza Information for Consumers
- Amitiza Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Amitiza (detailed)
Related support groups
- Amitiza (15 questions, 59 members)
- Constipation (212 questions, 596 members)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (126 questions, 576 members)