User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Opioid-Induced Constipation

Amitiza Rating Summary

3.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation.

Reviews for Amitiza

"Amitiza has helped me tremendously with my gastro issues. My cost is pretty high even with insurance which makes it very difficult every month to refill but i faithfully take it as prescribed; Amitiza, for me, is a LIFESAVER!!!!!!"

milliebird (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2019

"It worked right after the first dose, then nothing. I am going to try Linzess? It works differently."

KristaK (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2018

"Caused severe bloating and cramping and did nothing to relieve the constipation. Just made it more painful to the point that you can't function. Tried on 2 separate occasions with the same result. Another high priced miracle drug that doesn't deliver."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

"I’m not going to ever take any medication again before reading people’s real experiences on forums. I think if you tend towards nausea don’t take this medication. I’m so much worse now after one dose. I’m so sick of medication that makes me sicker. I’m going back to magnesium for constipation. I have some cramping with it but it works and the magnesium is helping my other problems. Just have to get a good brand, find the right dosage and keep it up. It’s really all they’re giving you to clean you out before a colonoscopy."

Nana (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I recently had back surgery and was given Dilaudid for pain. I have lymphocytic colitis also which usually means lots of watery diarrhea but I had been having constipation before my back surgery. After surgery the constipation has been awful. My doctor gave me samples of Amitiza and I took one 24mcg pill a day and after the 3rd day it was somewhat easier to have a bowel movement. It’s now been about 2 weeks and my doctor increased it to 2 pills a day. It is not working AT ALL. I am more constipated than I was before surgery. I don’t know whether to continue on it or not. I hate this bloated full feeling all the time. Any suggestions?"

Nursietj (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"Doctor gave me 24mcg samples in February for OIC and the resulting anal fissures. We started at once daily, but it worked a little TOO well! Once we reduced it to every other day, things seem to be working properly."

Silent Wolf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 22, 2017

"It works great, however, it did stop working for me after the first month. Apparently. I was on a low dosage once per day, but now I have put on the appropriate dosage, but because I am "backed up" I am taking Miralax to get things moving again, hopefully. Then I am to start back on Amatiza at this dosage which is appropriate for OIC. 24mcg 2 times per day with a full glass of water. So I hope it works again. When it was working, it was great. I went to the bathroom like normal!"

cvdixon29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2017

"Tried this medication for opioid induced constipation. Have been on opioids for chronic pain issues for about 7 years. Have also had rectal cancer and have a permanent colostomy bag. This medication did nothing to help my constipation. It caused severe stomach cramping after about one hour after I took it. With a colostomy bag you should never be constipated. I do take four capfuls of marilax daily. This does make me have a very runny stool. It is expensive though and doesn't taste the greatest. In fact I can hardly get the Marilax down at this point. I can't seem to find anything really to help. I also take 4 Sennakot tablets every day. I wouldn't recommend this medication."

Bren from MI (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

"The first time I took this it worked in less than a half hour. The second and third day, a little over an hour. The fourth day, nothing happened. So I took a second pill at bedtime, but nothing happened. I'm so disappointed. I really needed this to work."

EeyoreLover (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

"Did not help my OIC at all. In my opinion it is no better than an otc stool softener."

Katmom7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017