User Reviews for Amitiza to treat Opioid-Induced Constipation

Amitiza has an average rating of 3.7 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation. 20% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 67% reported a negative effect.

Amitiza Rating Summary

3.7/10 average rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Opioid-Induced Constipation.

Reviews for Amitiza

Anonymous February 21, 2020

“I have seen some of the comments on here about mood changes and how their doctors said that is not a side effect. WRONG. If you have a specific mood disorder I highly suggest to avoid the drug to avoid a crisis. Here is a few of extreme side effects this drug can have. "Serious side effects of Amitiza: Severe diarrhea; Swelling of arms and/or legs; Changes in mental health; Mood changes" I wanted to start the medication because I take 80mg of Oxycodone and 30mg XR of morphine a day and I cannot not go at all without assistance. Laxatives do not work anymore and the pain and hassle of enemas and suppositories' are getting to be the worst. I am still unsure about what to do …..”

milliebird · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2019

“Amitiza has helped me tremendously with my gastro issues. My cost is pretty high even with insurance which makes it very difficult every month to refill but i faithfully take it as prescribed; Amitiza, for me, is a LIFESAVER!!!!!!”

bestpup · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2019

“Millie I have been taking Amitiza for over a year. Like other's I was given samples for the first month. Because my OIC (opioid-induced constipation) was severe I continued to take it hoping it would kick in and work on a regular basis. Unfortunately it never worked. The side effects were bloating, belching and stomach discomfort. I've since tried another OIC med (Linzess.) When all else fails, I go back to milk of magnesia on an as-needed basis. My biggest regret was staying with the Amitiza for almost two years.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2018

“Caused severe bloating and cramping and did nothing to relieve the constipation. Just made it more painful to the point that you can't function. Tried on 2 separate occasions with the same result. Another high priced miracle drug that doesn't deliver.”

Silent Wolf · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 22, 2017

“Doctor gave me 24mcg samples in February for OIC and the resulting anal fissures. We started at once daily, but it worked a little TOO well! Once we reduced it to every other day, things seem to be working properly.”

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2018

“I’m not going to ever take any medication again before reading people’s real experiences on forums. I think if you tend towards nausea don’t take this medication. I’m so much worse now after one dose. I’m so sick of medication that makes me sicker. I’m going back to magnesium for constipation. I have some cramping with it but it works and the magnesium is helping my other problems. Just have to get a good brand, find the right dosage and keep it up. It’s really all they’re giving you to clean you out before a colonoscopy.”

EeyoreLover · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2017

“The first time I took this it worked in less than a half hour. The second and third day, a little over an hour. The fourth day, nothing happened. So I took a second pill at bedtime, but nothing happened. I'm so disappointed. I really needed this to work.”

cvdixon29 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2017

“It works great, however, it did stop working for me after the first month. Apparently. I was on a low dosage once per day, but now I have put on the appropriate dosage, but because I am "backed up" I am taking Miralax to get things moving again, hopefully. Then I am to start back on Amatiza at this dosage which is appropriate for OIC. 24mcg 2 times per day with a full glass of water. So I hope it works again. When it was working, it was great. I went to the bathroom like normal!”

DarkAngel August 8, 2019

“I’ve been on Zubsolv for several years and only had BM about every 1 to 1 1/2 weeks. I got really tired of the bloating and discomfort so my doctor gave me some samples of this drug. It worked a few hours after the first dose and then nothing. Immediately back to constipation. I’m so disappointed as I was looking forward to being regular again. I will be trying another drug that will hopefully work better.”

Nursietj · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2018

“I recently had back surgery and was given Dilaudid for pain. I have lymphocytic colitis also which usually means lots of watery diarrhea but I had been having constipation before my back surgery. After surgery the constipation has been awful. My doctor gave me samples of Amitiza and I took one 24mcg pill a day and after the 3rd day it was somewhat easier to have a bowel movement. It’s now been about 2 weeks and my doctor increased it to 2 pills a day. It is not working AT ALL. I am more constipated than I was before surgery. I don’t know whether to continue on it or not. I hate this bloated full feeling all the time. Any suggestions?”

Bren from MI · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2017

“Tried this medication for opioid induced constipation. Have been on opioids for chronic pain issues for about 7 years. Have also had rectal cancer and have a permanent colostomy bag. This medication did nothing to help my constipation. It caused severe stomach cramping after about one hour after I took it. With a colostomy bag you should never be constipated. I do take four capfuls of marilax daily. This does make me have a very runny stool. It is expensive though and doesn't taste the greatest. In fact I can hardly get the Marilax down at this point. I can't seem to find anything really to help. I also take 4 Sennakot tablets every day. I wouldn't recommend this medication.”

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2021

“I would not ever recommend this drug. I had used vicodin for short time and had constipation. You will go bathroom with this but the abdominal cramps are unbearable. I even cut dose in half and still horrible cramps. Also felt lightheaded and in a fog.”

Onegoodone79 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2020

“I've battled OIC, since 2014, was put on many things, including Movantic WHICH WAS HORRIBLE...HAD HUGE CRAMPING PROBLEMS. Finally I was put on this Amitiza ...AND ITS WONDERFUL!! NAVY VET !!”

Katmom7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2017

“Did not help my OIC at all. In my opinion it is no better than an otc stool softener.”

KristaK · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2018

“It worked right after the first dose, then nothing. I am going to try Linzess? It works differently.”

Ace · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2019

“On Amitiza I had side effects of reoccurring UTIs and stomach pain with bloating. Not good!!”