User Reviews for Amitiza (Page 6)

Constipation, Chronic

Opioid-Induced Constipation
3.3

Summary of Amitiza reviews 6.2 210 reviews

Reviews for Amitiza

For Constipation, Chronic "This is the only thing that has worked! A bit of gas, but no problems otherwise. Insurance is not covering it because of the expense, but it is worth the expense to be regular again after years of trying everything under the sun. 24 mcg 2x daily with food and I'm a happy camper!"

happy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been on laxatives forever. Specifically, Perdiem. I take 3 Perdiem and 1 Amitiza at bedtime and go every morning. The Perdiem (similar to Senokot) was starting to not work as well after 25 years and once I added the Amitiza, all is well. I am trying to cut back on the laxative now. My doc wants me to take Linzess, but I'm reading how many people are gaining weight. My only complaint with Amitza is the gas, so I am reluctant to take in the morning."

mar222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I tried everything. EVERYTHING. Finally, something that works for me, but it took a few days to kick in--probably because I was so constipated. After that, I've have a great experience. Regular for the first time in over 40 years! I would give this a 10 except it does give me a tiny bit of nausea, especially in the morning. It is pretty minor compared to the pain and bloating of chronic constipation. No bloating! The major drawback is the cost and the fact that insurance is so picky about covering it...and will only do so for a limited amount of time. "

bannanas (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "Pills are small and easy to take, just be sure to take them with food and that you'll be near a toilet. Going from 1-2 bowel movements a week to 3-4 a day."

CaliVirgo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I absolutely love this medicine. Was so constipated that all I did was sleep. Was miserably "full" with Bowel Motion maybe once every 1 to 2 weeks. Nothing else worked for me. Slight nausea sometimes (which is nothing). My energy level is restored. I thank God for giving man the knowledge to make this medicine."

Relieved! July 2, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been on Amitiza for nearly 8 years. I take three tablets 24mcg. daily; however I only take at bedtime. If I for some reason have to take it during the day because I missed my bedtime dose, I get very nauseous, gag and diarrhea. I strongly suggest taking this medicine when you are ready to sleep. The other problem is that I need three tablets daily and it is extremely expensive. "

AMMcC June 5, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I've been taking 8mcg Amitiza twice a day, for two months, to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Finally! A Dr. who actually listened to me and provided a solution instead of blaming me for the GI/bowel problems. (i.e., "You need more fiber," "It's your nerves," or "It's caused by the NSAIDS you take."). Almost 40 years of daily chronic painful bloating, constipation & pain under my left ribcage is almost gone, (I'm 50.) It did take a few weeks to adjust to it. By that, I mean: 1.) Discovering that taking Fiber Supplements with the prescription caused painful gas/bloating, 2.) Determining exactly how much food/drink to ingest with each dose, to avoid gas/bloating or a headache & 3.) Remembering to take it with a meal. I'd give it a 10 if there was 0 bloating and no headaches."

Love Amitiza! May 31, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I am a 25 year old female. I have been constipated since I was a baby and nobody knew why. I always had to strain to go to the bathroom. As a matter of fact I had to mentally prepare. I had to focus on my breathing to try to cope with the pain and fear of going to the bathroom. Sometimes it would take me 2 hours for nothing. I have used Amitiza for 18 months now AND IF THEY EVER TOOK IT AWAY I WOULD START A RIOT. I go to the bathroom about 4 times a week. No pain,no strain, and its soft and not hard. My stomach is so much flatter. I can see I actually have a shape. I lost 10 pounds of waste the first 2 weeks. I feel lighter and happy. Going to the bathroom is a breeze. Sometimes I get nausea. But the cons are light compared to the pro."

Myesha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 24, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and chronic constipation my entire life. Now at 23, after exhausting all over the counter and homeopathic remedies to no avail, I've decided to try a prescription. Overall, it works great and I don't plan to get off of it. What I have now is more like diarrhea than anything, but I'll take that over going up to 20 days without a bowel motion any day! I do get nausea about 30 minutes after I take it, and it gives me bad gas sometimes, but none of that is worth getting off of it. If you are seriously about to give up on life because of constipation, this medicine is for you! I recommend. I do also take Metamucil about every other morning, which helps the diarrhea. Also- the website for this product offers a $35 off prescription card."

LMSW (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C and chronic constipation after a C-section. I now take Amitiza 24mcg 2x per day. I've been on it for about 10 months. It works fantastic. I can "go" at least once a day now. Amitiza draws fluid from your body to increase bowel movement (I can actually hear it working) so it is important to drink a lot of water and eat before or immediately after. I've noticed that if I don't drink a lot of water, nausea will develop. In addition, IBS-C has caused me to change my diet and exercise. That helped a lot too. NOTE-- If the prescription costs a lot, even with insurance, Amitiza offers a discount card online."

Bloatless (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 27, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "Amitiza works pretty good. I do still have to take Milk of Magnesia and mineral oil to feel completely emptied out. The severe nausea and headaches are very bothersome and sometimes they are worse than others. The side effects do go away once you have a bowel movement."

cbnsdn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "I take iron, Levothyroxine, I do not poo normally. I took some Amitiza and I remembered what normal felt like! Quality of life means everything. Pooping comfortably is a must for being happy!"

rgraves550 February 15, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn's disease as well a Colon issues. My GI started me on Amitiza about 10 days ago. So far it has been great. I do have some cramping a little after a pill but not compared to the constipation cramping that I have had on & off for 15 years. I was lucky he gave me a sample pack good for a month so now I just have to hope my insurance picks it up next month."

INmommX2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "45 year old female with diagnosis of Chronic Constipation due to long term use of Med's, to include opioids for pain management. Also, diagnosed of Irritable bowel syndrome, around 8 years ago. When I'm taking this medicine, usually 2-3 times per day, I'm regular with a bowel movement of one to two times a day, depending on my diet and food intake (I eat very little on most days). Whenever I'm not taking this medication, I'm lucky if I'm able to go once over a 3-4 day time frame, even with laxatives, stool softeners, and my daily dose of lactulose syrup. I took Zelnorm about #8 years ago, until it went off the market, but Amitiza works much better, I asked my doctor to prescribe it after seeing a commercial for it, I've done well with it, only side-effect: flatulence. "

Quality of Life! January 6, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic "Second day on this pill...severe diarrhea. I'm a dialysis patient so constipation is part of many pills. I think still afraid of going, outside thinking in use of restroom, dizziness, and weak. Good for emergencies but still thinking if someday I will be back to normality with no pills at all."

luisf December 26, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "Actually - CIGNA covered this, but I now have United Health Care and they won't cover it unless you have irritable bowel syndrome or idiopathic constipation. I have constipation from M.S. and chronic opioid use and used it for over 4 years twice a day. I'm going to try lactulose but this pill is so much more convenient and for me, works without side-effects. Prior to this, only over-the-counter senna helped, but with cramping side-effects at times and only more than the recommended amount worked."

sharut (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I take the 24mg twice a day after having severe constipation post-chemo and multiple abdominal surgeries. It takes a couple of days for it to cause a movement, but when it does, it's unbelievable how much it works! I have felt the nausea and headaches, but didn't realize it was caused by the Amitiza. I'm so thankful to have this medicine!"

tiffanyrogers1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This is my second attempt with Amitiza (this time at the lower dose). Unbearably nauseated once again on top of the constipation and abdominal cramping. Does not work for me AT ALL."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2012

"I have only been takeing this for a week now but WOW. It works so good. It took 4 days to start it's action. It was like I was normal again. I am 31 and have had constipation my whole life. Higher fiber has got me through until a partial blockage and intestinal damage 2 months ago. Now with Amitiza I feel less bloated and a movement everyday on one pill in the morning. I feel so good! A little chest tightness but it gives me no nausea yet. This is a great medicine."

Anonymous October 14, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I started taking Amitiza a month ago. I am on the 24 mg. It works sometimes but I am experiencing side effects that I didn't think resulted from this medication until I read some of the reviews. I have trouble taking in breaths, coughing, severe headaches, nausea, but most of all bloating and gas. Before the medication while being constipated, I could still button up my pants. Now that I've started the medicine, its a struggle due to bloating."

Anonymous September 20, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I took this as directed for about 3 mos., and it was ineffective. I was still constipated. I stopped using it. Then I used it every 3 days when I needed to go, and it helped. Now I am taking it as directed and it seems to be working this time. So, inconsistent results. Stool is still hard and somewhat difficult to pass. Slight uncomfortable feeling when I am nearing having a bowel motion. Some nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I love this medication. Nothing else has helped me with chronic constipation for my gastric paresis and irritable bowel."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "Not so great for me. I have Crohn's disease with several (and I mean several) bowel resections for bowel obstructions. This medicine was given because I have had a full left gut on cat scan without a bowel obstruction. I now have severe and very weird (if you can believe weirder than my usual weirdness) bowel movements with some bad bum pain. Oh the joys of Crohn's!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "I have been on this for about a week. First few days, was amazed. Before this medicine I would do enemas every week or so due to pain, etc. The day after I took this medicine, I went three times, once after every meal. Wow! Same for the next few days. Side effects: Majorly tired, headaches that develop into migraine by end of day, weird feeling in chest and throat, breathing funny (like a bad cold) and VERY nauseated until I have a movement. Also, the last few days, only having movement every other day. So don't know what is going on. Need to try increasing the water and see how that goes. Don't know if normal bowel movements are worth all this, plus, it seems to not work as well as it did a few days ago."

aerangel (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic "If you suffer with occasional constipation like me and you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome then this is a great medication. It is very safe with very little side effects that most women will already go through. Like headaches and random nausea and dizziness. I take this medication 2-3 pills twice a day and I feel so much better being on this medication. It isn't normal to go a day or two or three or even a week like what used to happen to me without having a bowel movement. This medication will help you release all that waste you need to. It works great for me. IBS is not a fun condition but I guess it's just for all of us lucky people to struggle with and experiment trial and error. Give Amitiza a try it really works. Good luck!"

Cosmicblossom (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2012