User Reviews for Xifaxan

Learn more about Xifaxan.

Hepatic Encephalopathy 3 reviews 16 medications

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 71 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 21 reviews 137 medications

6.2
Summary of Xifaxan reviews 25 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Xifaxan

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "I am Stage 4 Cirrohsis, diagnosed with Hepatic Encephalopothy. Started Xifaxan about a week ago. I was concerned with a few comments from a different doc about this medication. I'm glad I found this site because I feel so much better reader about your experiances. I am so looking forward to feeling better!"

RobinLP (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Bad ibd for years. Didn't take long for this to kick in and let me live life again. Worth every penny!"

Billy d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It started to work during the two weeks I was one it. I was still going to the bathroom but it wasn't that awful urgent you better go now or have an accident. That two weeks was much better. However, once it was over I have been worse than I was even before the medicine. Now I have severe stomach pain, foul smelling gas and stool, I'm very bloated and when I get the feeling I need a bathroom I need to find one fact because it WILL come out no matter if I'm in the bathroom or not. I really had very high hopes that this would be just what I needed to help. I've had IBS-D all my life but it was diagnosed years ago when I was 16."

SickTummy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I've had IBS-D for 25 years. Was always told there was nothing the medical community could do about it. So I suffered through it and took lots of immodium. So when I saw advertisements for Xifaxan I was so hopeful. Saw a new GI Doc and he immediately told me that this med was the best hope for IBS and that it's effectiveness was terrific. So I was so very, very hopeful this would work, and it did,,,,for the 14 days I was on it. The day after stopping my 14 day regime my extreme bloating was back and within a week my symptons were exactly as before. Now after 6 weeks my symptoms seem even worse. Going back to the Doc in 6 weeks. Will see what else might help. Good luck to all of you! It's a terrible disease to have to deal with!"

Tired of IBS! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "since my new gastro couldn't be bothered to actually think about what might be wrong with me, she threw two weeks of Xifaxan at me, because, hey, if you can't figure out what a patient has, they must have IBS. my stomach is now so hard and bloated I can't wear my clothes, I can't sleep form the pain, I'm constipated (first time in my life!) and now, from the huge bloated stomach, which never goes down, really, it just goes from horrible to 9 months pregnant, I am having problems with sleep apnea. it's a nightmare. DO NOT LET YOUR DOCTOR GIVE YOU THIS DRUG IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SYMPTOMS THAT THIS DRUG IS FOR. do the research on line. protect yourself. do not trust your doctor. i did. what a mistake."

waverly waver (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After having IBS for about 20 years I went to a new GI doctor. After trying diets and numerous tests he put me on Xifaxan for IBS D. The first few days I had a grumbling stomach and it felt like my stomach might get worse. However after a week on Xifaxan my bowel movements were normal and I no longer needed to run to the bathroom. I even ate sugar for the first time in months and I had no reaction. I feel like my life has changed and I can go out without worries."

JJay March 29, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Did not work at all"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I do not recommend this drug at all! I have had IBS for 6 years this drug made my diarrhea worse!! I had great hopes that this drug was going to give me some relief, not so. I do believe that an antibiotic will one day cure this problem, I was given a common antibiotic for a sinus infection on two different occasions which not only cured my sinuses but also stopped the diarrhea for months. This drug is not the cure, not to mention the fact that is drug cost nearly $2000.00 please do not assume that I am complaining due to cost, this drug cost me 25.00, my insurance company was the one who paid. I would suggest to this drug company, Go back to the drawing board!"

Harley1012 February 8, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I took this 5 years ago after a colonoscopy for my extreme IBS issues. It totally changed my life so much. I've been having issues again lately so I'm trying it again for a 2nd time to reset my system. I still have occasional issues, but NOTHING like it use to be. This stuff has been a miracle for me!"

KB1111 January 30, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug is totally ineffective."

Jim 222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "AWFUL MEDICATION. I was on Xifaxan for a week and a half when it started giving me crippling stomach cramps every time I ate. The cramps have persisted three weeks beyond stopping the medication and I can only eat plain rice/pasta and peas. It also didn't do what it was prescribed to do and I still have symptoms of IBS. All it did was give me a side effect that makes me not able to eat."

Lynne12 October 5, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "Turns out I jumped the gun in touting xifaxan as a potential prednisone replacement for flare remission - at least on it's own. The initial symptomatic relief continued but hit a plateau, requiring the addition of a corticosteroid. So my Dr. additionally put me on entocort ec, but this flare remains stubborn. No longer willing to suffer, I requested prednisone. Day 3 and striking improvements. I will taper off the pred using entocort to reap the corticosteroid benefits while minimizing the nasty side-effects. But because Xifaxan is so well tolerated, I stayed on it and will continue - probably even after a hopefully successful taper off the pred and entocort. I'm curious as to whether Xifaxan can be used in conjunction with probiotics."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "I only just learned of Xifaxan after my 3.5 yr remission streak ended with a brutal flare. Desperately longing only for some pred, I was instead prescribed Xifaxan 550mg bid. But any disappointment faded on day 2 when I noticed it lowering the inflammation. Now I'm on day 5 and I'm impressed with this stuff. Pain is 80-90% lower and now eating normal meals without incident. I was on Flagyl for years but it never quieted a flare like Xifaxan is doing now. I may be able to tell prednisone good bye for ever."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "I had taken Lactulose for almost 5 yrs before Xifaxan came out. I had a lot of diarrhea and general bloating and abdominal discomfort with Lactulose. That all disappeared when I started Xifaxan, and I would encourage patients to do themselves a favor and improve their quality of life by asking their doc for Xifaxan. My ammonia is <25, better than when I took Lactulose, and my feeling of well-being is 10 out of 10."

heppercat January 30, 2015

For Diarrhea "I have had a weight loss surgery called Duodenal Switch which requires antibiotics periodically for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Xifaxan is the only thing that works for me months until another flare. I thank God my GI prescribed it. "

Owlwoman December 18, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "My husband's thought process has improved greatly. He also has more energy and less depression. He feels better."

no one number May 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Xifaxin was the only medicine that was able to get me off steroids and into remission with my Crohn's disease. I had been on steroids for 2 years and had 2 surgeries for blockages. I took a two week course of this and within 3 days I was having normal bowel movements. Pain free after a week. Six months later I had another attack, took Xifaxin again with same results. In remission now for 3 years."

Krobar July 5, 2013

For Diarrhea "I wish it didn't have to be so expensive. It gave me instant relief. "

Anonymous October 1, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

For Traveler's Diarrhea "Returned from a trip to Kenya, Africa and brought back an unexpected guest which caused my diarrhea for two weeks. Tried the usual antibiotic regimen along with Questran, neither of which worked with total success. Tried Xifaxan in combination with Probiotics and the cure was virtually overnight. I will definitely remember this and refer to anyone I know with similar problem."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return. "

luckysinnimon June 19, 2011

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate