User Reviews for Xifaxan

Learn more about Xifaxan.

Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 75 medications

Hepatic Encephalopathy 8 reviews 16 medications

8.1
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 29 reviews 141 medications

6.1
Summary of Xifaxan reviews 38 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Xifaxan

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "Ridiculous price. Makes using it prohibitive. Salix should be ashamed of themselves. Lactulose worked very well and totally affordable."

Mysickliver (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "$1375 with ins and ins won't cover but $12.50. Highway robbery and not worth it in my opinion. Will try and fix some other way. Drug companies should be ashamed and BC/BS should be abolished. You all high and mighty CEOs need to think about the patients,"

Kahuna57 August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Thanks to my doctor for prescribing Xifaxan. I've only been on it for about a week and my life has changed dramatically. It's so good not to have to head to the bathroom 3 or more times a day with diarrhea. The only side effect is some constipation but you go when you want and usually only once. No more What if scenarios. I also have a better appetite and am gaining some weight back. Thanks Doc and Xifaxan."

IBS Sufferer July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have IBS with diarrhea. Out of pocket price $500.00 for Xifaxan 550 mg three pills a day . It did not work for me at all. After two weeks of the pills diligently taken. Waste of money .I had no side effects. But the pills did not work for me the diarrhea persists as does nausea sweating and stomach cramps. I have run out of ideas as has the dr. Don't waste your money."

Cheri D.Smith July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "The whole premise of offering a life saving drug to patients, only to change the policy after the first years trial was successful. This company should not be allowed to offer a life-saving drug, gain notoriety and good press when in actuality, the patients that are responsible for the "trial" are just completely dismissed. The majority of people with digestive health issues this bad, are seniors. So for the company Salix to offer this and promote any kind of Affordability is just sad. Morally and ethically wrong for business. Who can afford a prescription that costs the Customer $750 A MONTH. As if that itself weren't bad enough, (that is a rent or mortgage payment) the company acknowledges that they do not and will not accept medicare."

oLturner (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "I completely agree...miracle drug. If I stop taking this for any reason I WILL get sick. In combination with Lactulose, I feel like a new person. Thank you to the docs that figured this out!!!"

Kelpet1 January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "Miracle drug is the first comment that comes to mind . I have end stage liver disease and currently wait patiently on the transplant list . I cannot explain my life or more even my unbearable existence I have undergone in the last several years . I began having difficulty with concentrating and unable to focus . I was so frustrated with myself living a life of total confusion to a point that I was in constant fear . My long term physician prescribed the medication to decrease the ammonia elevated by my failing liver . I was at a point that I was so depressed and had no desire to wake up in the mornings . I began taking the medication in disbelief and only as a last resort . I need more room to elaborate my response"

Bon King December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I used the 14 day dosage...for those 14 days, I suffered extreme gas & bloating with gas pains from my rectum into my shoulders, I was absolutely miserable but carried through, completing the prescription...for the next month or so, I continued to suffer with the extreme gas and pains, which gradually subsided...I suffered with occasional diarrhea, but rare and some constipation, till it all settled down. I have now been 2+ months with normally formed bowel movements. I do rarely have some urgency but the stools are formed, not liquid. This medication has been life changing for me...I can now sit and enjoy a meal with friends and family without constantly having on my mind that I am, at any point, going to need to rush to the bathroom."

vnldoaid (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have suffered from IBS-D for over 15 years. I tried numerous medications and nothing has ever worked .I went to a new dr and was recently prescribed Xifaxan and it has changed my life completely. In the first 24 hours I felt immediate relief.I am now able to eat again and not always turn to find the nearest bathroom.I don't have to wake up two hours before work anymore because my stomach is not upset.I have not felt "normal" in years and it's such a great feeling. I feel I can live a normal life with this medication . I am hoping some of you who suffer find relief . IBS is horrible and no one actually understands what it is like unless you have it . Thank goodness something worked ."

Ms.D November 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug has a higher efficacy if several things are also implemented at the same time. 1. eliminate foods you are intolerant (3 months to indefinitely) 2. while healing (3 months min) eliminate gassy hard to digest foods like cruciferous, onions, beans, alcohol, sugar alcohols, etc... 3. replete zinc - diarrhea depletes zinc and zinc deficiency perpetuates diarrhea 4. take a gentle fiber like acacia 5. take a high potency probiotic (vsl#3 and florastor) along with the fiber in between xifaxan doses and continue this while healing (at least 3 months) or longer. 6. address motility issues and hypochlorhydria and poor digestive enzyme production - if you aren't digesting properly if facilitates s.i.b.o. 7. NO TOBACCO!!"

GottaGo September 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Sadly this medication gave no relief at all and actually made things worse... Severe nausea and vomiting on top of constant diarrhea, not an easy thing to multi task if you know what I mean. But hey, all meds work differently for different people. Hope others had better luck than I did."

SMiller22 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have had IBS-D for the past 8 years and am able to manage it with a regular regime of Xifaxan for the past several years. Every 6 weeks, I go on a 10 day regimen of Xifaxan and, yes, it does get worse when I'm not on it. But I can control the diarrhea, and somewhat the bloating. The bloating gets worse with my diet. So watching gas producing foods is a must."

Dorchestergroup (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "The Target brand Acidophilus probiotic helped relieve my initial symptoms of IBS (gas every morning and reduced the frequency throughout the day, brain fog, and heavy stomach cramping). My Gastroenterologist gave me a free 30-day sample to check it's effectiveness on me in 2014. Xifaxin was not as effective as my acidophilus, gave me the urge to urinate too frequently, didn't stop my frequent gas (one of my main concerns), and is way too expensive to use on a daily basis. I'm still looking for a permanent solution as the Target Acidophilus has stopped working for me. Now I use the Country Life Acidophilus as it gives the most relief (except gas), is affordable and comes with 250 tablets in a bottle so I don't run out as quickly."

Christy T. July 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "I am Stage 4 Cirrohsis, diagnosed with Hepatic Encephalopothy. Started Xifaxan about a week ago. I was concerned with a few comments from a different doc about this medication. I'm glad I found this site because I feel so much better reader about your experiances. I am so looking forward to feeling better!"

RobinLP (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Bad ibd for years. Didn't take long for this to kick in and let me live life again. Worth every penny!"

Billy d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It started to work during the two weeks I was one it. I was still going to the bathroom but it wasn't that awful urgent you better go now or have an accident. That two weeks was much better. However, once it was over I have been worse than I was even before the medicine. Now I have severe stomach pain, foul smelling gas and stool, I'm very bloated and when I get the feeling I need a bathroom I need to find one fact because it WILL come out no matter if I'm in the bathroom or not. I really had very high hopes that this would be just what I needed to help. I've had IBS-D all my life but it was diagnosed years ago when I was 16."

SickTummy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I've had IBS-D for 25 years. Was always told there was nothing the medical community could do about it. So I suffered through it and took lots of immodium. So when I saw advertisements for Xifaxan I was so hopeful. Saw a new GI Doc and he immediately told me that this med was the best hope for IBS and that it's effectiveness was terrific. So I was so very, very hopeful this would work, and it did,,,,for the 14 days I was on it. The day after stopping my 14 day regime my extreme bloating was back and within a week my symptons were exactly as before. Now after 6 weeks my symptoms seem even worse. Going back to the Doc in 6 weeks. Will see what else might help. Good luck to all of you! It's a terrible disease to have to deal with!"

Tired of IBS! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "since my new gastro couldn't be bothered to actually think about what might be wrong with me, she threw two weeks of Xifaxan at me, because, hey, if you can't figure out what a patient has, they must have IBS. my stomach is now so hard and bloated I can't wear my clothes, I can't sleep form the pain, I'm constipated (first time in my life!) and now, from the huge bloated stomach, which never goes down, really, it just goes from horrible to 9 months pregnant, I am having problems with sleep apnea. it's a nightmare. DO NOT LET YOUR DOCTOR GIVE YOU THIS DRUG IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SYMPTOMS THAT THIS DRUG IS FOR. do the research on line. protect yourself. do not trust your doctor. i did. what a mistake."

waverly waver (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After having IBS for about 20 years I went to a new GI doctor. After trying diets and numerous tests he put me on Xifaxan for IBS D. The first few days I had a grumbling stomach and it felt like my stomach might get worse. However after a week on Xifaxan my bowel movements were normal and I no longer needed to run to the bathroom. I even ate sugar for the first time in months and I had no reaction. I feel like my life has changed and I can go out without worries."

JJay March 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Did not work at all"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I do not recommend this drug at all! I have had IBS for 6 years this drug made my diarrhea worse!! I had great hopes that this drug was going to give me some relief, not so. I do believe that an antibiotic will one day cure this problem, I was given a common antibiotic for a sinus infection on two different occasions which not only cured my sinuses but also stopped the diarrhea for months. This drug is not the cure, not to mention the fact that is drug cost nearly $2000.00 please do not assume that I am complaining due to cost, this drug cost me 25.00, my insurance company was the one who paid. I would suggest to this drug company, Go back to the drawing board!"

Harley1012 February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I took this 5 years ago after a colonoscopy for my extreme IBS issues. It totally changed my life so much. I've been having issues again lately so I'm trying it again for a 2nd time to reset my system. I still have occasional issues, but NOTHING like it use to be. This stuff has been a miracle for me!"

KB1111 January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug is totally ineffective."

Jim 222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "AWFUL MEDICATION. I was on Xifaxan for a week and a half when it started giving me crippling stomach cramps every time I ate. The cramps have persisted three weeks beyond stopping the medication and I can only eat plain rice/pasta and peas. It also didn't do what it was prescribed to do and I still have symptoms of IBS. All it did was give me a side effect that makes me not able to eat."

Lynne12 October 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015