User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

Learn more about Lactulose.

Constipation, Chronic 17 reviews 30 medications

9.6
Hepatic Encephalopathy 3 reviews 16 medications

8.7
Constipation, Acute 9 reviews 33 medications

8.3
Summary of Lactulose reviews 29 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Lactulose

For Constipation, Acute: "I was prescribed this only a few days ago because I generally only pass a bowel motion about once a week. My dosage is 20mls per day and I initially didn't think it was working but it has most definitely kicked in now! I've had heaps of flatulence since first taking it and now, 2hrs after my 3rd dose, I feel about 5 kilos lighter. Im so glad that I am not at work because the smell of this first visit to the bathroom is absolutely revolting....(sorry for over sharing). It tastes sickly sweet but I'm getting used to it. I think this product will actually change my life for the better. PS. I'm in New Zealand where a lot of medication is funded by the government."

Lisa m Johnston July 13, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: "So I've been constipated for about 4 days and I've tried everything. I went from eating more fibers to trying to force it out. I told my parents my mom who was clueless on what to do told my dad and he gave me lactulose. It took about 4 hours to kick in and it did not hurt at all to poop and it was just so amazing getting it all out. My stomach did feel uncomfortable before I pooped but it really does go away. I stayed near the bathroom for about an hour but I guess it depends"

Anonymous May 5, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I was just wondering how this product works if I could just have feedback."

rosiezee April 18, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "Since I began taking lactulose I have seen a marked improvement with chronic constipation. Before beginning with this med I would sometimes not have a BM for 10days. Since starting this medication I have been having 4-5 BMs a week which should increase even more as my md. increases my dosage at my next appt.Besides the relief I have experienced I also enjoy the pleasant taste as previous meds were horrible tasting.I would recommend this medicine as a very good treatment for chronic constipation."

Latina Lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation most of my life and never thought too much about it just accepted it. I've been on pain meds for close to 6 yrs and they are definitely making it worse that I'm having pain which concerned me so I had a CT scan to make sure the pain wasn't coming from something serious, so the Dr felt the constipation was the cause. I'm on day 1 of this stuff and I was prescribed 30 mil 3x day. I waited for a day I could be home in case it got bad. I had my first bowel movement about 1 hr. after dose and 3 total since the 1st dose. (took 3 hrs ago) I think I'm gonna stick with 1 a day for now and if it slows down then add the second dose and work my way up if nessasary. It taste like honey but thinner consistency."

Nytink March 12, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have early menopause related constipation . For last 5 years moderate constipation . I've used lots of things - with success but also with fear of dependence . People have recommended lactulose as a non dependent choice. I take 30 mls night . It gives me a lot of wind . It does work but it is an accumulative effect that takes about 4 days of regularly dosing to start working and produce a bowel movement ... Not sure why so many others are lucky enough to get success the same day ??? ."

Early menopause constipation January 14, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose promotes a soft bowel movement without cramping, nausea or valsalvo effects."

Volpi November 12, 2015

For Constipation, Acute: "So I am a new nurse but have overcome a lot of health problems. Due to wearing a girdle to support my large hernia and lack of water from rushing around the ER, I became suddenly constipated. For three weeks it was wait until my days off and stay in the bathroom in agony. So I went to my doctor and they gave me this, it was actually sweet! I took a shower and by the time I was done so was my problem! I am amazed and my IBS even seems to be calming down!"

Lighter and free (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been severely constipated on and off for four years, I have tried other laxatives they barely worked for me. Before my Doctor prescribed this to me I couldn't produce a bowel movement for a month I was really sick I couldn't eat or drink for days at a time, I was running fevers I couldn't walk and I was fainting. I take 90 ml three times a day, its a really high dose so be sure to take your own recommended dose, but I can now use the bathroom at least twice a day. My stools were literally compacted and now I am all cleared out. I highly recommend this medication."

jenny1712 September 18, 2015

For Constipation, Acute: "Helps you a whole lot! Except you could get sore on the underside and stay extremely close to the toilet."

just a person (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

Generlac (lactulose) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Initial symptoms included brain fog, disorientation, and confusion. I took the lactulose for one week... all symptoms disappeared. However, I must advise you to stay close to the bathroom. Also, I should note that my physician said that I may be taking this medication for the rest of my life and I'm only 47 years old."

kmo (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

For Constipation, Chronic: "12 weeks pregnant and constipated really bad with no movement for nearly 7 days. I had really bad tummy ache and I couldn't take much with being pregnant. Pharmacist gave me this (liquid) and after about 4 hours it was gone. So pleased. Best thing I've ever used for constipation."

tinksloulou859 December 24, 2014

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "This was the only treatment that worked after my hemorroidectomy - had to go to the ER to get this prescription though after three days of constipation from the paid meds - too bad my surgeon did not prescribe this to me earlier."

CKR (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

Enulose (lactulose) for : "Headache, flatulence"

Ishiort March 4, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've suffered with Irritable Bowel Syndrome all my life, got worse in adulthood. Mixture of constipation and diarrhea. I'm now 6 months pregnant, got no more IBS cramps, but painful gas that doesn't pass. I took this for the first time in my life this morning at 9 AM. Took 30mls as suggested by the pharmacist. Only ONE hour later and I'm having bowel movements and a lot of wind. No pain or cramps for once! Only thing is it's been non stop toilet runs for 10 hours. "

KittyKatt89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've taken codeine and morphine for a long time and have been constipated for years, on and off. I've tried senna, Movicol and they'd take at least 5 days to work. And the taste of 2 Movicol sachets with 250ml, was yuck. Also made me bloated. I've started lactulose on 15ml 3 times a day but around 2 hours after taking 15ml I was going to the bathroom! It's very convenient too as I just add the 15ml to a drop of juice/squash. Very happy to have found something so good but it does cause me a lot of wind."

MissMarie2015 January 9, 2014

For Constipation, Chronic: "This is a miracle. Taking Oxycodone makes you so conspipated it's not funny. I take 80ml-100ml which is a dose I wouldn't recommend to someone taking it for the first time. Start small and see how it works for you. I take it right before bed. And by the time I wake up, it's toilet time, every time. Sometimes I will get a slight pain in my stomach during sleeping and it can't wait till my usual wake up time."

Just a guy October 27, 2013

For Constipation, Acute: "Not going for two days due to travelling and interrupted routine can really be a problem but two large glasses of water with one tablespoon each produces positive results within 30 min. every time. Just keep close to a bathroom for 2-3 hrs."

Gord, Vancouver (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2013

For Constipation, Chronic: "Just start at one tablespoon (15 ml.) and then start increasing the dosage one teaspoon (5 ml. every day until your bowel movement is soft. There are very few complications. It can be taken safely for decades. In fact, you may have to increase the dosage over time."

Anonymous December 10, 2012

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Constulose (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "This is the best medicine I've ever used for my constipation. I also have irritable bowel syndrome."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2012

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "Only thing that actually works!"

Anonymous May 31, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic: "I take 6 Percocet daily for back pain. 30ml of lactulose generally takes effect in 4 to 6 hours. At times it can produces diarrhea if I take more. At times I can skip a day as I am able to have bowel motion naturally. It doesn't adversely impact my blood sugar levels."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Very effective! Usually starts to work for me within two hours and continues to work for hours. Stay close to a bathroom. It decreased blood ammonia level and cleared up the cloudy head in just a couple of days. Stress staying close to a bathroom!"

stenforce February 13, 2012

For Constipation, Chronic: "I would go up to one month without having bowel movements. I'm very afraid of using medicine because I take medication for epilepsy and I do not want any interactions causing the anticonvulsants to be less or not effective. My doctor gave me lactulose and told me to drink water with it. He said not to be worried about it interfering with my medicine because what the lactulose does is pull water into the stool to make it soft. I still don't take it with my daily medication. I wait at least 3 hours after or 4 hours prior to taking my daily medication. The only thing I do not like is it is very sweet. Check to see if it is okay to take if you are diabetic. I assume it has sugar in it because of the sweetness."

Anonymous August 17, 2011

For Constipation, Chronic: "Lactulose works don't know why. Lactolose is gentle and actually works. I just about gave up until got this medicine. I take a few Vicodins a day and I needed something to help."

shegoesbignow August 10, 2011