User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

Learn more about Lactulose.

Constipation, Chronic 24 reviews 30 medications

9.2
Hepatic Encephalopathy 3 reviews 16 medications

8.7
Constipation, Acute 14 reviews 34 medications

7.9
Summary of Lactulose reviews 41 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Lactulose

For Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose does not work at all. I got it in the ER and was told to go home and continue taking it. I finished the whole big bottle days ago and still nothing. Before the lactulose I tried all the over the counter pills, psylium husk, fleet enemas, suppositories, magnesium citrate etc for 2 weeks. It's now approaching 3 weeks and still nothing. At least the mag citrate made me gassy and I felt belly rumblings like there was something trying to happen on but with lactulose no gas, bloating, nothing happening at all."

3 weks Constipated August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "If you don't mind the overwhelming feeling of urgency and flatulence, you can take 5 tablespoons of lactulose along with a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. No matter how hard they try, most people won't be able to hold back the results after 4 hours."

bpmonster1 July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "I've been taking iron off and on for the last 5 months my red blood cell count is too low they can't get it to stay up ? But I've been getting constipated 9 days without a poo the lactulose is great within a few hours I was at the toilet ,its gentle"

Irene 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "I have been taking Duphalac for past 2 year and was while satisfied with its results. But sincere past 4 Months have been taking problem of Excessive Water Retention & Bloating in Abdomen. Water Retention was such that my Stomach used to get swollen and hence had loss of appetite. Because of Inflated Abdomen used to feel chest pain along with dry Coughing. It was really a miserable feeling as had lost 5kgs weight because of not having proper meals. Finally had to stop Duphalac & within a 3-4 days time water Retention, Bloating etc had stopped. It's my advise to people facing similar problem to stop Duphalac Immediately & switch to some other Laxative after consulting the Doctor."

Atal Bihari (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "My doctor put me on constulose after years of me using over the counter medicine for chronic constipation. I had 3 ERCP's, a tube down my nose to drain fluid trapped in my stomach. Lots of hospital stays and the pain from not having a bowel movement is torture! I would go two weeks without having a bowel movement. I've tried senna, stool softener's, milk of magnesia & more. Finally my doctor wrote for constulose 15 milliliters and warned me to only take it for emergencies. I go to bathroom every 3 days or less now. Best medicine so far!"

Teekee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "This stuff really works! I was suffering from constipation for a week straight and all it took was 30ml of this sweet syrup and I was in the washroom after an hour."

Naz18 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "Hubby is having chronic constipation. Many of us will when approaching 90. He used and still uses Casgara Sagrada (which never loses its potency. You don't have to take more and more.) This lactulose seems to work for him when he takes it regularly. He is also now taking two tablespoons of ground flaxseed stirred in 8 oz. of liquid daily. I do not have constipation now although I did as a child mainly from poor diet and not drinking very much water. A former mother-in-law religiously chewed a few slices of apple with some stewed prunes every night before bed. I understand that now she is 102. What a surprise!."

4Yahshua (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation since 5 yrs old I had chronic pain from a condition I was born with, and at 30 received oxcontin for the pain other wise I would be in a wheel chair. As a child after eating I would bloat I still do even on just 2 cups off coffee, it has taken 4 days for lactulose to work but I feel a lot better my Doctor said water water water! as the lactulose draws the water into our bowels, she also mention try the msp diet as you can be misdiagnosed as IBC and it could be certain proteins and sugars as well as wheat, barley, beans, dairy and makes it too hard for our gut to process."

Bloated beach ball December 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've literally tried everything for my constipation. A high fibre diet made it worse and I was relying on more dangerous laxatives. Lactulose didn't work for me to begin with until my gynaecologist told me to increase my dosage so I take 40ml twice a day. I now have a bowel movement everyday whereas in the past I'd go once a week and still be blocked up. It is a life saver. Only negative thing about it is the water retention. It has made my stomach so bloated and made me gain about 5lbs in water weight BUT these side effects are tolerable. I'll just keep to loose fitted tops for the mean time :)"

Lorenaaa October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "So I am 17 weeks pregnant and have been constipated very badly for about 8 weeks.. Just took 20 ml of this stuff and literally within 10 minutes had proper bowl movement. Caused a lot of cramping tho and now I have diarrhoea it also made me sick but atleast I have finally had bowl movement! Fantastic stuff"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been taking Lactulose for 6 days now & it hasn't done a thing! I paid over £5 for it in Tesco Pharmacy it is half that price on line!!!! No matter what the price, it doesn't work!"

jenpet (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "I suffered from iron deficiency and i was put on iron tablets. With these they cause constipation so my doctor also prescribed lactulose. It works really well and it give you alot of gas and a bowel movement within eight hours of taking the medicine."

kjames4892992u3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "I was prescribed this only a few days ago because I generally only pass a bowel motion about once a week. My dosage is 20mls per day and I initially didn't think it was working but it has most definitely kicked in now! I've had heaps of flatulence since first taking it and now, 2hrs after my 3rd dose, I feel about 5 kilos lighter. Im so glad that I am not at work because the smell of this first visit to the bathroom is absolutely revolting....(sorry for over sharing). It tastes sickly sweet but I'm getting used to it. I think this product will actually change my life for the better. PS. I'm in New Zealand where a lot of medication is funded by the government."

Lisa m Johnston July 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "So I've been constipated for about 4 days and I've tried everything. I went from eating more fibers to trying to force it out. I told my parents my mom who was clueless on what to do told my dad and he gave me lactulose. It took about 4 hours to kick in and it did not hurt at all to poop and it was just so amazing getting it all out. My stomach did feel uncomfortable before I pooped but it really does go away. I stayed near the bathroom for about an hour but I guess it depends"

Anonymous May 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I was just wondering how this product works if I could just have feedback."

rosiezee April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "Since I began taking lactulose I have seen a marked improvement with chronic constipation. Before beginning with this med I would sometimes not have a BM for 10days. Since starting this medication I have been having 4-5 BMs a week which should increase even more as my md. increases my dosage at my next appt.Besides the relief I have experienced I also enjoy the pleasant taste as previous meds were horrible tasting.I would recommend this medicine as a very good treatment for chronic constipation."

Latina Lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation most of my life and never thought too much about it just accepted it. I've been on pain meds for close to 6 yrs and they are definitely making it worse that I'm having pain which concerned me so I had a CT scan to make sure the pain wasn't coming from something serious, so the Dr felt the constipation was the cause. I'm on day 1 of this stuff and I was prescribed 30 mil 3x day. I waited for a day I could be home in case it got bad. I had my first bowel movement about 1 hr. after dose and 3 total since the 1st dose. (took 3 hrs ago) I think I'm gonna stick with 1 a day for now and if it slows down then add the second dose and work my way up if nessasary. It taste like honey but thinner consistency."

Nytink March 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have early menopause related constipation . For last 5 years moderate constipation . I've used lots of things - with success but also with fear of dependence . People have recommended lactulose as a non dependent choice. I take 30 mls night . It gives me a lot of wind . It does work but it is an accumulative effect that takes about 4 days of regularly dosing to start working and produce a bowel movement ... Not sure why so many others are lucky enough to get success the same day ??? ."

Early menopause constipation January 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose promotes a soft bowel movement without cramping, nausea or valsalvo effects."

Volpi November 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "So I am a new nurse but have overcome a lot of health problems. Due to wearing a girdle to support my large hernia and lack of water from rushing around the ER, I became suddenly constipated. For three weeks it was wait until my days off and stay in the bathroom in agony. So I went to my doctor and they gave me this, it was actually sweet! I took a shower and by the time I was done so was my problem! I am amazed and my IBS even seems to be calming down!"

Lighter and free (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been severely constipated on and off for four years, I have tried other laxatives they barely worked for me. Before my Doctor prescribed this to me I couldn't produce a bowel movement for a month I was really sick I couldn't eat or drink for days at a time, I was running fevers I couldn't walk and I was fainting. I take 90 ml three times a day, its a really high dose so be sure to take your own recommended dose, but I can now use the bathroom at least twice a day. My stools were literally compacted and now I am all cleared out. I highly recommend this medication."

jenny1712 September 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Acute: "Helps you a whole lot! Except you could get sore on the underside and stay extremely close to the toilet."

just a person (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Generlac (lactulose) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Initial symptoms included brain fog, disorientation, and confusion. I took the lactulose for one week... all symptoms disappeared. However, I must advise you to stay close to the bathroom. Also, I should note that my physician said that I may be taking this medication for the rest of my life and I'm only 47 years old."

kmo (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Constipation, Chronic: "12 weeks pregnant and constipated really bad with no movement for nearly 7 days. I had really bad tummy ache and I couldn't take much with being pregnant. Pharmacist gave me this (liquid) and after about 4 hours it was gone. So pleased. Best thing I've ever used for constipation."

tinksloulou859 December 24, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "This was the only treatment that worked after my hemorroidectomy - had to go to the ER to get this prescription though after three days of constipation from the paid meds - too bad my surgeon did not prescribe this to me earlier."

CKR (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014