User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

Constipation, Chronic
8.9

Hepatic Encephalopathy
8.7

Constipation, Acute
7.4

Summary of Lactulose reviews 8.5 55 reviews

Reviews for Lactulose

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been using lactulose for chronic constipation for three years. It is very effective. I now find that the sweet taste is making me gag and/or vomit. There are times when just looking at the bottle invokes the nausea. I have mixed in other liquid so I can't taste it, however I can't take it anymore. Any wise ideas?"

Emmjae (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 12, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "This worked very quickly and effectively with no side effects for my 3 year old daughter who is limited in her diet and gastrostomy tube (gtube) dependent. We are incredibly grateful."

momyshaver (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "It doesn't work for relieving constipation and causes severe cramping. I suffer from IBS and medication did not work at all. I would not recommend it if you have any bowel disease."

Chris (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "Doctor prescribed 3x/day. It worked and still works wonderfully after 7 years. But, 3x/day was too much. I decided nightly before bed and it works GREAT. Sometimes I have to take a double dose, but I'll tell you, this medicine is a dream come true for me as when I am not going (I have Irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS‑C)) I get sick as a dog, nausea, cramping, lightheaded and more. Don't be afraid to experiment in the beginning to find the right dose and dosing schedule for you."

CM (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2018

Generlac (lactulose) for Constipation, Chronic: "I've been having constipation problems for awhile now. I tried linzess and it worked just a few times, like 2 or 3, so I went back to the Dr and got Generlac. I took it on a Friday at 4 pm and the next morning it worked. I'm so relieved. So I'm going to continue taking it everyday and I'm hoping it keeps working."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: "My Dr prescribed a bottle of this 45ml twice a day. Had very little effect me, just a few tummy rumbles. Dr then decided I was partially impacted and prescribed Movicol 3 times daily. Did clear the impaction after 8 days. Now use Lactulose 30ml twice daily after my IBS diagnosis. Keeps me reasonably regular."

AFCR&D (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "I’m 17 weeks pregnant and have been struggling even before I found out I was pregnant to empty my bowels. Before I fell pregnant it was normal for me to poo once a week. I can’t even remember when I had my last bowel movement it was over a week ago and very small. I rushed to the pharmacy today to get something as my stomach feels bloated and painful. I took 45mls and within half an hour I started feeling sick and an hour after that I started cramping. 3 hours later I’m shooting to the toilet before I end up having an accident. What started off as a normal stool turned into explosive diarrhoea. But I guess with 7+ days of waste in me it was going to be a bit of a mess. So glad I took this however I wouldnt recommend taking before work/going out etc as it can be unpredictable as to when it will take effect. Also the wind is a bit embarrassing so better to be in the comfort of your own home. I would recommend."

Anonymous March 14, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: "I had constipation as a side effect of the codcomol I was taking. I was sore and I’m a big dude stomach was solid all the way to the bottom of my ribs I drank two mouthfuls of this stuff and had the best clear out ever must of been an hour on the loo over a three hour period"

Shitbags (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "This worked well to soften hard stools and make straining unnecessary but it surprisingly gave me an irregular heartbeat after taking it for two weeks. I did not realise what the source of the irregular beats was for a few days, but when I stopped taking the lactulose my heart was back to normal in a couple of days. Could just be coincidence and unconnected to the lactulose but after digging deep into an FDA site I found that 5% of users find it can cause some type of heartbeat irregularity - AF, palpitations, slow beats, fast beats etc. Hope that is useful to someone."

Kenleigh (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: "Bottle is almost impossible to open. Who knows if it's effective or not. I suggest get pharmacist to open it for you before you leave the store"

Rr123 December 10, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "This worked after 48 hours. The label said that it could take up to 48 hours, but most of the other reviews said that it worked much faster, so when it didn't work quickly for me, I began to lose hope. Thankfully, it worked, pretty much exactly after 48 hours. I'm in my second trimester, and hadn't done a poo for 4 days, and the last time had been very painful. I'd felt incredibly bloated and uncomfortable, and hunched over when I walked, and couldn't get comfortable to sleep. When I first went again after 48 hours, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't really painful either. I stirred the medicine into large glasses of water to help me drink enough fluids, and also to dilute the excessively sweet taste."

VerstopfteVerlobte December 5, 2017

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "My wife started getting dehydrated at the beginning of this year and I repeatedly took her to the urgent care for rehydration. Her symptoms would go away but come back three weeks later. During a hospital stay in Aug 2017,my wife was given Reglan in her IV to treat nausea with disastrous results. She immediately forgot where she was,who I was or that she was in the hospital.m This lasted 24 hours but the incident left her with profound hallucinations for about three weeks. She got dehydrated again-got over medicated on hyperidol and then got a blood test that pinged on ammonia. It all fits. The Reglan damaged my wife’s already overworked liver and shes been dying of ammonia poisoning ever since . Lactulose may be a Godsend. We hope so."

Old Phil December 3, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "This has literally changed my life for the better. I have been told since I was 21 I have IBS. I had IBS A (alternating between D&C) At 46 at my wits end I tried lactulose as my bowels didn’t know what they wanted! Most nights I take 1 full soup spoon before dinner with a large glass of water, within two hours along with huge amounts of wind I am on the loo. If I get a little sluggish I up the dose by 1/2 a spoon or even 1 spoon. Worst case scenario there is more wind or a quicker dash to the loo or even a dose of D...but never any cramping any more! I then reduce the dose. It is all about the dose for anyone struggling you may need a bigger dose to get it going, then a smaller dose to maintain. I have my life back! Finally at 46 I am free again!"

Shaeleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have a motility problem after some of my bowel was cut out after diverticulitis. Then 2 Hernia's repaired. I have no sense of needing to go to toilet at all. I have to take either Lactulose or Magnesium sulphate to empty my bowel twice a week. I prefer Lactulose, it's easier on my bowel it doesn't make my bowel as sore as magnesium. I take 60ml of lactulose single dose twice a week. Sure there is some flatulence but it works fine."

Esprazole (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose does not work at all. I got it in the ER and was told to go home and continue taking it. I finished the whole big bottle days ago and still nothing. Before the lactulose I tried all the over the counter pills, psylium husk, fleet enemas, suppositories, magnesium citrate etc for 2 weeks. It's now approaching 3 weeks and still nothing. At least the mag citrate made me gassy and I felt belly rumblings like there was something trying to happen on but with lactulose no gas, bloating, nothing happening at all."

3 weks Constipated August 27, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "If you don't mind the overwhelming feeling of urgency and flatulence, you can take 5 tablespoons of lactulose along with a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. No matter how hard they try, most people won't be able to hold back the results after 4 hours."

bpmonster1 July 25, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "I've been taking iron off and on for the last 5 months my red blood cell count is too low they can't get it to stay up ? But I've been getting constipated 9 days without a poo the lactulose is great within a few hours I was at the toilet ,its gentle"

Irene 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "I have been taking Duphalac for past 2 year and was while satisfied with its results. But sincere past 4 Months have been taking problem of Excessive Water Retention & Bloating in Abdomen. Water Retention was such that my Stomach used to get swollen and hence had loss of appetite. Because of Inflated Abdomen used to feel chest pain along with dry Coughing. It was really a miserable feeling as had lost 5kgs weight because of not having proper meals. Finally had to stop Duphalac & within a 3-4 days time water Retention, Bloating etc had stopped. It's my advise to people facing similar problem to stop Duphalac Immediately & switch to some other Laxative after consulting the Doctor."

Atal Bihari (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "My doctor put me on constulose after years of me using over the counter medicine for chronic constipation. I had 3 ERCP's, a tube down my nose to drain fluid trapped in my stomach. Lots of hospital stays and the pain from not having a bowel movement is torture! I would go two weeks without having a bowel movement. I've tried senna, stool softener's, milk of magnesia & more. Finally my doctor wrote for constulose 15 milliliters and warned me to only take it for emergencies. I go to bathroom every 3 days or less now. Best medicine so far!"

Teekee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "This stuff really works! I was suffering from constipation for a week straight and all it took was 30ml of this sweet syrup and I was in the washroom after an hour."

Naz18 March 6, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "Hubby is having chronic constipation. Many of us will when approaching 90. He used and still uses Casgara Sagrada (which never loses its potency. You don't have to take more and more.) This lactulose seems to work for him when he takes it regularly. He is also now taking two tablespoons of ground flaxseed stirred in 8 oz. of liquid daily. I do not have constipation now although I did as a child mainly from poor diet and not drinking very much water. A former mother-in-law religiously chewed a few slices of apple with some stewed prunes every night before bed. I understand that now she is 102. What a surprise!."

4Yahshua (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation since 5 yrs old I had chronic pain from a condition I was born with, and at 30 received oxcontin for the pain other wise I would be in a wheel chair. As a child after eating I would bloat I still do even on just 2 cups off coffee, it has taken 4 days for lactulose to work but I feel a lot better my Doctor said water water water! as the lactulose draws the water into our bowels, she also mention try the msp diet as you can be misdiagnosed as IBC and it could be certain proteins and sugars as well as wheat, barley, beans, dairy and makes it too hard for our gut to process."

Bloated beach ball December 8, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've literally tried everything for my constipation. A high fibre diet made it worse and I was relying on more dangerous laxatives. Lactulose didn't work for me to begin with until my gynaecologist told me to increase my dosage so I take 40ml twice a day. I now have a bowel movement everyday whereas in the past I'd go once a week and still be blocked up. It is a life saver. Only negative thing about it is the water retention. It has made my stomach so bloated and made me gain about 5lbs in water weight BUT these side effects are tolerable. I'll just keep to loose fitted tops for the mean time :)"

Lorenaaa October 20, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "So I am 17 weeks pregnant and have been constipated very badly for about 8 weeks.. Just took 20 ml of this stuff and literally within 10 minutes had proper bowl movement. Caused a lot of cramping tho and now I have diarrhoea it also made me sick but atleast I have finally had bowl movement! Fantastic stuff"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been taking Lactulose for 6 days now & it hasn't done a thing! I paid over £5 for it in Tesco Pharmacy it is half that price on line!!!! No matter what the price, it doesn't work!"

jenpet (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016