User Reviews for Lactulose

Also known as: Cephulac, Cholac, Chronulac, Chronulac Syrup, Constilac, Constulose, Duphalac, Enulose, Evalose, Generlac, Heptalac, Kristalose

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lactulose.

Constipation, Chronic
9.1

Hepatic Encephalopathy
8.7

Constipation, Acute
7.4

Summary of Lactulose reviews 8.4 48 reviews

Reviews for Lactulose

For Constipation, Acute: "I had constipation as a side effect of the codcomol I was taking. I was sore and I’m a big dude stomach was solid all the way to the bottom of my ribs I drank two mouthfuls of this stuff and had the best clear out ever must of been an hour on the loo over a three hour period"

Shitbags (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Constipation, Chronic: "This worked well to soften hard stools and make straining unnecessary but it surprisingly gave me an irregular heartbeat after taking it for two weeks. I did not realise what the source of the irregular beats was for a few days, but when I stopped taking the lactulose my heart was back to normal in a couple of days. Could just be coincidence and unconnected to the lactulose but after digging deep into an FDA site I found that 5% of users find it can cause some type of heartbeat irregularity - AF, palpitations, slow beats, fast beats etc. Hope that is useful to someone."

Kenleigh (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Constipation, Acute: "Bottle is almost impossible to open. Who knows if it's effective or not. I suggest get pharmacist to open it for you before you leave the store"

Rr123 December 10, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "This worked after 48 hours. The label said that it could take up to 48 hours, but most of the other reviews said that it worked much faster, so when it didn't work quickly for me, I began to lose hope. Thankfully, it worked, pretty much exactly after 48 hours. I'm in my second trimester, and hadn't done a poo for 4 days, and the last time had been very painful. I'd felt incredibly bloated and uncomfortable, and hunched over when I walked, and couldn't get comfortable to sleep. When I first went again after 48 hours, it wasn't easy, but it wasn't really painful either. I stirred the medicine into large glasses of water to help me drink enough fluids, and also to dilute the excessively sweet taste."

VerstopfteVerlobte December 5, 2017

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "My wife started getting dehydrated at the beginning of this year and I repeatedly took her to the urgent care for rehydration. Her symptoms would go away but come back three weeks later. During a hospital stay in Aug 2017,my wife was given Reglan in her IV to treat nausea with disastrous results. She immediately forgot where she was,who I was or that she was in the hospital.m This lasted 24 hours but the incident left her with profound hallucinations for about three weeks. She got dehydrated again-got over medicated on hyperidol and then got a blood test that pinged on ammonia. It all fits. The Reglan damaged my wife’s already overworked liver and shes been dying of ammonia poisoning ever since . Lactulose may be a Godsend. We hope so."

Old Phil December 3, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "This has literally changed my life for the better. I have been told since I was 21 I have IBS. I had IBS A (alternating between D&C) At 46 at my wits end I tried lactulose as my bowels didn’t know what they wanted! Most nights I take 1 full soup spoon before dinner with a large glass of water, within two hours along with huge amounts of wind I am on the loo. If I get a little sluggish I up the dose by 1/2 a spoon or even 1 spoon. Worst case scenario there is more wind or a quicker dash to the loo or even a dose of D...but never any cramping any more! I then reduce the dose. It is all about the dose for anyone struggling you may need a bigger dose to get it going, then a smaller dose to maintain. I have my life back! Finally at 46 I am free again!"

Shaeleigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have a motility problem after some of my bowel was cut out after diverticulitis. Then 2 Hernia's repaired. I have no sense of needing to go to toilet at all. I have to take either Lactulose or Magnesium sulphate to empty my bowel twice a week. I prefer Lactulose, it's easier on my bowel it doesn't make my bowel as sore as magnesium. I take 60ml of lactulose single dose twice a week. Sure there is some flatulence but it works fine."

Esprazole (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "Lactulose does not work at all. I got it in the ER and was told to go home and continue taking it. I finished the whole big bottle days ago and still nothing. Before the lactulose I tried all the over the counter pills, psylium husk, fleet enemas, suppositories, magnesium citrate etc for 2 weeks. It's now approaching 3 weeks and still nothing. At least the mag citrate made me gassy and I felt belly rumblings like there was something trying to happen on but with lactulose no gas, bloating, nothing happening at all."

3 weks Constipated August 27, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "If you don't mind the overwhelming feeling of urgency and flatulence, you can take 5 tablespoons of lactulose along with a bowl of bran cereal for breakfast. No matter how hard they try, most people won't be able to hold back the results after 4 hours."

bpmonster1 July 25, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "I've been taking iron off and on for the last 5 months my red blood cell count is too low they can't get it to stay up ? But I've been getting constipated 9 days without a poo the lactulose is great within a few hours I was at the toilet ,its gentle"

Irene 66 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2017

For Constipation, Acute: "I have been taking Duphalac for past 2 year and was while satisfied with its results. But sincere past 4 Months have been taking problem of Excessive Water Retention & Bloating in Abdomen. Water Retention was such that my Stomach used to get swollen and hence had loss of appetite. Because of Inflated Abdomen used to feel chest pain along with dry Coughing. It was really a miserable feeling as had lost 5kgs weight because of not having proper meals. Finally had to stop Duphalac & within a 3-4 days time water Retention, Bloating etc had stopped. It's my advise to people facing similar problem to stop Duphalac Immediately & switch to some other Laxative after consulting the Doctor."

Atal Bihari (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "My doctor put me on constulose after years of me using over the counter medicine for chronic constipation. I had 3 ERCP's, a tube down my nose to drain fluid trapped in my stomach. Lots of hospital stays and the pain from not having a bowel movement is torture! I would go two weeks without having a bowel movement. I've tried senna, stool softener's, milk of magnesia & more. Finally my doctor wrote for constulose 15 milliliters and warned me to only take it for emergencies. I go to bathroom every 3 days or less now. Best medicine so far!"

Teekee (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "This stuff really works! I was suffering from constipation for a week straight and all it took was 30ml of this sweet syrup and I was in the washroom after an hour."

Naz18 March 6, 2017

For Constipation, Chronic: "Hubby is having chronic constipation. Many of us will when approaching 90. He used and still uses Casgara Sagrada (which never loses its potency. You don't have to take more and more.) This lactulose seems to work for him when he takes it regularly. He is also now taking two tablespoons of ground flaxseed stirred in 8 oz. of liquid daily. I do not have constipation now although I did as a child mainly from poor diet and not drinking very much water. A former mother-in-law religiously chewed a few slices of apple with some stewed prunes every night before bed. I understand that now she is 102. What a surprise!."

4Yahshua (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation since 5 yrs old I had chronic pain from a condition I was born with, and at 30 received oxcontin for the pain other wise I would be in a wheel chair. As a child after eating I would bloat I still do even on just 2 cups off coffee, it has taken 4 days for lactulose to work but I feel a lot better my Doctor said water water water! as the lactulose draws the water into our bowels, she also mention try the msp diet as you can be misdiagnosed as IBC and it could be certain proteins and sugars as well as wheat, barley, beans, dairy and makes it too hard for our gut to process."

Bloated beach ball December 8, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I've literally tried everything for my constipation. A high fibre diet made it worse and I was relying on more dangerous laxatives. Lactulose didn't work for me to begin with until my gynaecologist told me to increase my dosage so I take 40ml twice a day. I now have a bowel movement everyday whereas in the past I'd go once a week and still be blocked up. It is a life saver. Only negative thing about it is the water retention. It has made my stomach so bloated and made me gain about 5lbs in water weight BUT these side effects are tolerable. I'll just keep to loose fitted tops for the mean time :)"

Lorenaaa October 20, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "So I am 17 weeks pregnant and have been constipated very badly for about 8 weeks.. Just took 20 ml of this stuff and literally within 10 minutes had proper bowl movement. Caused a lot of cramping tho and now I have diarrhoea it also made me sick but atleast I have finally had bowl movement! Fantastic stuff"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have been taking Lactulose for 6 days now & it hasn't done a thing! I paid over £5 for it in Tesco Pharmacy it is half that price on line!!!! No matter what the price, it doesn't work!"

jenpet (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: "I suffered from iron deficiency and i was put on iron tablets. With these they cause constipation so my doctor also prescribed lactulose. It works really well and it give you alot of gas and a bowel movement within eight hours of taking the medicine."

kjames4892992u3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: "I was prescribed this only a few days ago because I generally only pass a bowel motion about once a week. My dosage is 20mls per day and I initially didn't think it was working but it has most definitely kicked in now! I've had heaps of flatulence since first taking it and now, 2hrs after my 3rd dose, I feel about 5 kilos lighter. Im so glad that I am not at work because the smell of this first visit to the bathroom is absolutely revolting....(sorry for over sharing). It tastes sickly sweet but I'm getting used to it. I think this product will actually change my life for the better. PS. I'm in New Zealand where a lot of medication is funded by the government."

Lisa m Johnston July 13, 2016

For Constipation, Acute: "So I've been constipated for about 4 days and I've tried everything. I went from eating more fibers to trying to force it out. I told my parents my mom who was clueless on what to do told my dad and he gave me lactulose. It took about 4 hours to kick in and it did not hurt at all to poop and it was just so amazing getting it all out. My stomach did feel uncomfortable before I pooped but it really does go away. I stayed near the bathroom for about an hour but I guess it depends"

Anonymous May 5, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I was just wondering how this product works if I could just have feedback."

rosiezee April 18, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "Since I began taking lactulose I have seen a marked improvement with chronic constipation. Before beginning with this med I would sometimes not have a BM for 10days. Since starting this medication I have been having 4-5 BMs a week which should increase even more as my md. increases my dosage at my next appt.Besides the relief I have experienced I also enjoy the pleasant taste as previous meds were horrible tasting.I would recommend this medicine as a very good treatment for chronic constipation."

Latina Lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have had chronic constipation most of my life and never thought too much about it just accepted it. I've been on pain meds for close to 6 yrs and they are definitely making it worse that I'm having pain which concerned me so I had a CT scan to make sure the pain wasn't coming from something serious, so the Dr felt the constipation was the cause. I'm on day 1 of this stuff and I was prescribed 30 mil 3x day. I waited for a day I could be home in case it got bad. I had my first bowel movement about 1 hr. after dose and 3 total since the 1st dose. (took 3 hrs ago) I think I'm gonna stick with 1 a day for now and if it slows down then add the second dose and work my way up if nessasary. It taste like honey but thinner consistency."

Nytink March 12, 2016

For Constipation, Chronic: "I have early menopause related constipation . For last 5 years moderate constipation . I've used lots of things - with success but also with fear of dependence . People have recommended lactulose as a non dependent choice. I take 30 mls night . It gives me a lot of wind . It does work but it is an accumulative effect that takes about 4 days of regularly dosing to start working and produce a bowel movement ... Not sure why so many others are lucky enough to get success the same day ??? ."

Early menopause constipation January 14, 2016