User Reviews for Rifaximin

Also known as: Xifaxan

Learn more about Rifaximin.

Diarrhea 4 reviews 98 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 36 reviews 139 medications

6.4
Summary of Rifaximin reviews 50 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Rifaximin

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug has a higher efficacy if several things are also implemented at the same time. 1. eliminate foods you are intolerant (3 months to indefinitely) 2. while healing (3 months min) eliminate gassy hard to digest foods like cruciferous, onions, beans, alcohol, sugar alcohols, etc... 3. replete zinc - diarrhea depletes zinc and zinc deficiency perpetuates diarrhea 4. take a gentle fiber like acacia 5. take a high potency probiotic (vsl#3 and florastor) along with the fiber in between xifaxan doses and continue this while healing (at least 3 months) or longer. 6. address motility issues and hypochlorhydria and poor digestive enzyme production - if you aren't digesting properly if facilitates s.i.b.o. 7. NO TOBACCO!!"

GottaGo September 20, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS for over 50 years. This medication did nothing for me."

Jackieblue2 September 20, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Sadly this medication gave no relief at all and actually made things worse... Severe nausea and vomiting on top of constant diarrhea, not an easy thing to multi task if you know what I mean. But hey, all meds work differently for different people. Hope others had better luck than I did."

SMiller22 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS-D for the past 8 years and am able to manage it with a regular regime of Xifaxan for the past several years. Every 6 weeks, I go on a 10 day regimen of Xifaxan and, yes, it does get worse when I'm not on it. But I can control the diarrhea, and somewhat the bloating. The bloating gets worse with my diet. So watching gas producing foods is a must."

Dorchestergroup (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The Target brand Acidophilus probiotic helped relieve my initial symptoms of IBS (gas every morning and reduced the frequency throughout the day, brain fog, and heavy stomach cramping). My Gastroenterologist gave me a free 30-day sample to check it's effectiveness on me in 2014. Xifaxin was not as effective as my acidophilus, gave me the urge to urinate too frequently, didn't stop my frequent gas (one of my main concerns), and is way too expensive to use on a daily basis. I'm still looking for a permanent solution as the Target Acidophilus has stopped working for me. Now I use the Country Life Acidophilus as it gives the most relief (except gas), is affordable and comes with 250 tablets in a bottle so I don't run out as quickly."

Christy T. July 31, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I am Stage 4 Cirrohsis, diagnosed with Hepatic Encephalopothy. Started Xifaxan about a week ago. I was concerned with a few comments from a different doc about this medication. I'm glad I found this site because I feel so much better reader about your experiances. I am so looking forward to feeling better!"

RobinLP (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Bad ibd for years. Didn't take long for this to kick in and let me live life again. Worth every penny!"

Billy d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It started to work during the two weeks I was one it. I was still going to the bathroom but it wasn't that awful urgent you better go now or have an accident. That two weeks was much better. However, once it was over I have been worse than I was even before the medicine. Now I have severe stomach pain, foul smelling gas and stool, I'm very bloated and when I get the feeling I need a bathroom I need to find one fact because it WILL come out no matter if I'm in the bathroom or not. I really had very high hopes that this would be just what I needed to help. I've had IBS-D all my life but it was diagnosed years ago when I was 16."

SickTummy (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had IBS-D for 25 years. Was always told there was nothing the medical community could do about it. So I suffered through it and took lots of immodium. So when I saw advertisements for Xifaxan I was so hopeful. Saw a new GI Doc and he immediately told me that this med was the best hope for IBS and that it's effectiveness was terrific. So I was so very, very hopeful this would work, and it did,,,,for the 14 days I was on it. The day after stopping my 14 day regime my extreme bloating was back and within a week my symptons were exactly as before. Now after 6 weeks my symptoms seem even worse. Going back to the Doc in 6 weeks. Will see what else might help. Good luck to all of you! It's a terrible disease to have to deal with!"

Tired of IBS! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "since my new gastro couldn't be bothered to actually think about what might be wrong with me, she threw two weeks of Xifaxan at me, because, hey, if you can't figure out what a patient has, they must have IBS. my stomach is now so hard and bloated I can't wear my clothes, I can't sleep form the pain, I'm constipated (first time in my life!) and now, from the huge bloated stomach, which never goes down, really, it just goes from horrible to 9 months pregnant, I am having problems with sleep apnea. it's a nightmare. DO NOT LET YOUR DOCTOR GIVE YOU THIS DRUG IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SYMPTOMS THAT THIS DRUG IS FOR. do the research on line. protect yourself. do not trust your doctor. i did. what a mistake."

waverly waver (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After having IBS for about 20 years I went to a new GI doctor. After trying diets and numerous tests he put me on Xifaxan for IBS D. The first few days I had a grumbling stomach and it felt like my stomach might get worse. However after a week on Xifaxan my bowel movements were normal and I no longer needed to run to the bathroom. I even ate sugar for the first time in months and I had no reaction. I feel like my life has changed and I can go out without worries."

JJay March 29, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "My stomach swelled out like a pregnant person for years and I gained a lot of weight. I followed a very strict diet, all organic, no bread, red meat or sugar, and plenty of exercise for 3 years, Still no hope. After visiting many Doctors and no answers as to why my stomach stuck out all of the time, especially after I ate, I went to a Gastroenterologist had a "Hydrogen Breath Test" I had SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overflow) I took Xifaxan 550 3 X a day for 7 days. My stomach went down tremendously and my body shrunk all around like magic. I was sooooooo happy!!! I had absolutely no side effects from the Xifaxan. Also my heart burn went away. I had my life back. Diet is very important with SIBO!!!"

Unhappy Tummy March 29, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Did not work at all"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I do not recommend this drug at all! I have had IBS for 6 years this drug made my diarrhea worse!! I had great hopes that this drug was going to give me some relief, not so. I do believe that an antibiotic will one day cure this problem, I was given a common antibiotic for a sinus infection on two different occasions which not only cured my sinuses but also stopped the diarrhea for months. This drug is not the cure, not to mention the fact that is drug cost nearly $2000.00 please do not assume that I am complaining due to cost, this drug cost me 25.00, my insurance company was the one who paid. I would suggest to this drug company, Go back to the drawing board!"

Harley1012 February 8, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), predominately methane gas producing (constipation/bloat mostly). This means a lot of archaea (not a bacteria so xifaxin doesn't treat it, but I was still advised to take xifaxin, 550, 3x/day, 14 days). My bloating and flatulence got progressively worse, tolerable but worse. I kept sibo active by eating plenty of healthy carbs as advised. I'm on day 10 and feel no different. I expected to have more energy by now. Folks with diarrhea seem to have better/immediate results; makes sense since xifaxan targets the bacteria that causes diarrhea. To try to kill off the archaea, I'm taking my own course of natural antibiotics now overlapping with xifaxin (allicin,berberbine,neem). I have leaky gut bad, sibo has got to go."

Sherry SAB January 31, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took this 5 years ago after a colonoscopy for my extreme IBS issues. It totally changed my life so much. I've been having issues again lately so I'm trying it again for a 2nd time to reset my system. I still have occasional issues, but NOTHING like it use to be. This stuff has been a miracle for me!"

KB1111 January 30, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "made bloating and digestion and constipation worse"

madely January 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am from San Diego, Ca and i just wanted to let you know that this drug is great. It has been around in Mexico for ages and its called Flonorm. You can get a full 2 week dose for $30dls . I've been on and off 4 times with no bad side effects. My Ibs-d comes back after a couple of weeks if I'm off it. I can't help but wonder if there is a bad bacteria in there that just won't go away?"

RudyAguilar January 5, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I been through hell and back dealing with this stupid disease. I have a fabulous GI doc, who has tried me on a million medicines for diarrhea and pain from IBS: anti-diarrheals, anti-spasm meds, bile acid sequestrants (I have no gallbladder), tricyclic ADs, etc. None of them helped except this medicine. Seven years into this misery, and I've finally found the drug that works for me. I can begin LIVING again instead of only going through the motions. Please give it a try. My heart breaks for those of us that cannot find relief from this debilitating condition."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been suffering for years w/ upper abdominal pain severe so bad once I went to ER...they came up w/ slow motility along w/ my GI Dr ordering the test..Breath tests for H pylori - negative ..endoscopies showed gastritis..went gluten free this helped tremendously, but then recently attack of the Abdominal pain...shooting to left side, severe bloating, hard to have BM..GI dr said lets try Xifaxan 550 mg 3xs a day for 2 weeks. Within my second dose I feel much better! I hope this continues. The drug is expensive but go on the Xifaxan site download your coupon, it should cost less depending on your ins. I hope we can all get relief from this little wonder!"

DeeNJ November 11, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug is totally ineffective."

Jim 222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "AWFUL MEDICATION. I was on Xifaxan for a week and a half when it started giving me crippling stomach cramps every time I ate. The cramps have persisted three weeks beyond stopping the medication and I can only eat plain rice/pasta and peas. It also didn't do what it was prescribed to do and I still have symptoms of IBS. All it did was give me a side effect that makes me not able to eat."

Lynne12 October 5, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "Turns out I jumped the gun in touting xifaxan as a potential prednisone replacement for flare remission - at least on it's own. The initial symptomatic relief continued but hit a plateau, requiring the addition of a corticosteroid. So my Dr. additionally put me on entocort ec, but this flare remains stubborn. No longer willing to suffer, I requested prednisone. Day 3 and striking improvements. I will taper off the pred using entocort to reap the corticosteroid benefits while minimizing the nasty side-effects. But because Xifaxan is so well tolerated, I stayed on it and will continue - probably even after a hopefully successful taper off the pred and entocort. I'm curious as to whether Xifaxan can be used in conjunction with probiotics."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015