User Reviews for Rifaximin

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
6.4

Summary of Rifaximin reviews 6.9 71 reviews

Reviews for Rifaximin

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been dealing with IBS-D for about 4 years now. The only thing I found that works is Xifaxan. The first time I took it, it lasted about 4 months. I was prescribed another round and relief lasted a year. Normally I don't see results immediately like some. For me, it takes some time after I finish the medication to have complete consistency. Give it some time."

Stan01 January 28, 2018

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Do not take this drug unless you have been diagnosed with Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). I was given this drug by a new GI after I told him that I had been tested for SIBO with negative results. The drug made me incredibly bloated, made the diarrhea worse and my stomach was in constant pain. This might be effective if you have SIBO, but if you do not, do not take this drug. Not to mention, even with insurance coverage, my co-pay for a 2 week supply was around $500. I just totally wasted my money on this (yet again_useless drug."

can't take any more IBS-D (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with IBS-Diarrhea by my PCP. Recently changed my pcp as old guy retired. I was using a lot of OTC products for my IBS-D which was also diagnosed by new PCP. He started me on rifaximin 550 two times a day for 14 days and this worked wonders. It’s expensive but I got a coupon and saved money Thanks Valeant but I still think u should decrease the price of it."

IBS sufferer (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was put on Xifaxan three times a day for 14 days for post c.diff IBS-D. I am very sensitive to antibiotics and actually did not experience an allergy or horrible side effects which is why I didn't rate it any lower. It was pretty tolerable to take. BUT it did not help my IBS-D; in fact, I now experience horrible urgency with IBS-D. And my lower belly has been horribly bloated since taking Xifaxan and it has been a good month since finishing it. I literally look pregnant and am having a hard time fitting in my clothes. It is not as bad in the morning but as soon as I eat I am back to being extremely bloated. I assume it is colitis but haven't been back to my GI to confirm. I will post again on an update."

Bessy103 September 7, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Prescribed this after a long battle of mysterious illness ending with an IBS-d diagnosis. It worked very well while I was on it but right back to ground zero after. I was never advised to follow any diet, etc., while taking the meds and 1 thing I've recently read is that you need bile to bind to this med to really work. I have trouble with bile and wish I'd been informed of this. I would have tried ox bile with the script. Those whom have not had success maybe consider this."

Pam Eye Am August 20, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Ridiculous price. Makes using it prohibitive. Salix should be ashamed of themselves. Lactulose worked very well and totally affordable."

Mysickliver (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Took this for the two weeks, while taking this it did work. As soon as I finished it....back to the same old situation. Didn't work for me"

Exman2099 August 8, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "$1375 with ins and ins won't cover but $12.50. Highway robbery and not worth it in my opinion. Will try and fix some other way. Drug companies should be ashamed and BC/BS should be abolished. You all high and mighty CEOs need to think about the patients,"

Kahuna57 August 3, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Thanks to my doctor for prescribing Xifaxan. I've only been on it for about a week and my life has changed dramatically. It's so good not to have to head to the bathroom 3 or more times a day with diarrhea. The only side effect is some constipation but you go when you want and usually only once. No more What if scenarios. I also have a better appetite and am gaining some weight back. Thanks Doc and Xifaxan."

IBS Sufferer July 15, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS with diarrhea. Out of pocket price $500.00 for Xifaxan 550 mg three pills a day . It did not work for me at all. After two weeks of the pills diligently taken. Waste of money .I had no side effects. But the pills did not work for me the diarrhea persists as does nausea sweating and stomach cramps. I have run out of ideas as has the dr. Don't waste your money."

Cheri D.Smith July 15, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: " I am a mother of a young adult female. Over a year ago, my daughter was healthy but took the Depo Vera shot to help her with her period. First Depo shot-an allegeric reaction, the GI issues started and became a health nightmare. As a mother, I took my daughter to every Dr imiginainable for non narcoctic meds, tried every diet, and Googled every review-no relief for almost 2 years. As her mother, I felt helpless. My daughter was in chronic pain and sickness. Until a day ago, 7/5/2017, this expensive drug (shame on your creators) was prescribed ...a miracle. Last night, my daughter slept like a baby for the 1st time in 2 years."

Wanda Miller (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had severe gas, bloating and flautulence ever since I was treated for heartburn, turned out I had hiatus hernia and barret's esophagus. When I went back to the doctor he was all about IBS. Gave me rifaximin for 14 days, didn't helped me at all, made things worst. Went to another one after few months gave me more for 14 days, made things even worst. Now I have so much gas that I can barely get out of the house. Read online and tried rifaxamin with Metronidazole and things are as bad as it can get. I simply suggest to no to take this medicine, better to try right diet and naturopathy instead of taking this and making things worst."

John1595055 June 29, 2017

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Xifaxan did not work for me. I am diagnosed with "covert" or "mild" Hepatic Encephalpathy. It's debilitating but not obvious to anyone but me...until I make a mistake or say something *random*. Worst at sunrise & sunset. Intermittent aphasia. Horrible when dehydration snowballs into IBS. As I understand it this is a non-persistent anti-biotic that eliminate bacteria that produce ammonia. Thing is, my ammonia levels are not high. I think this is why the Rifaximin doesn't seem to do anything for my situation. My suggestion would be to use this product when someone has the "wetbrain" sort of episodes; that is to say, when ammonia levels in the blood are very high."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started medication for IBS three days ago and have had significant improvement. It's amazing, actually was able to go to a restaurant today and not worry re having to rush to bathroom there or dash to one after leaving. Only concern is reading re the limited amount of time it works for. Does anyone know why you can only be retreated twice? Have other users found the time estimates for improvement to be accurate?"

Liz O March 29, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I tried with Rifaximin at the suggestion of family who did not feel like my natural functional Healthcare practitioner was helping me out very much. It was totally against her philosophy of treatment but I jumped for it anyway. It was a mistake. For the first few days on the drug it did seem to calm down my system a bit. But now one and a half months after using it my bloating is as bad as it has ever been. Even the foods that before I took it did not bother me now do bother me. I was making slow but steady progress using Standard Process supplements, staying away from starches & fodmaps, & practicing proper food combining b4 using Rifax.. Would not suggest this unless you have exhausted all other options."

Go natural (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "The whole premise of offering a life saving drug to patients, only to change the policy after the first years trial was successful. This company should not be allowed to offer a life-saving drug, gain notoriety and good press when in actuality, the patients that are responsible for the "trial" are just completely dismissed. The majority of people with digestive health issues this bad, are seniors. So for the company Salix to offer this and promote any kind of Affordability is just sad. Morally and ethically wrong for business. Who can afford a prescription that costs the Customer $750 A MONTH. As if that itself weren't bad enough, (that is a rent or mortgage payment) the company acknowledges that they do not and will not accept medicare."

oLturner (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I completely agree...miracle drug. If I stop taking this for any reason I WILL get sick. In combination with Lactulose, I feel like a new person. Thank you to the docs that figured this out!!!"

Kelpet1 January 13, 2017

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "Miracle drug is the first comment that comes to mind . I have end stage liver disease and currently wait patiently on the transplant list . I cannot explain my life or more even my unbearable existence I have undergone in the last several years . I began having difficulty with concentrating and unable to focus . I was so frustrated with myself living a life of total confusion to a point that I was in constant fear . My long term physician prescribed the medication to decrease the ammonia elevated by my failing liver . I was at a point that I was so depressed and had no desire to wake up in the mornings . I began taking the medication in disbelief and only as a last resort . I need more room to elaborate my response"

Bon King December 8, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I used the 14 day dosage...for those 14 days, I suffered extreme gas & bloating with gas pains from my rectum into my shoulders, I was absolutely miserable but carried through, completing the prescription...for the next month or so, I continued to suffer with the extreme gas and pains, which gradually subsided...I suffered with occasional diarrhea, but rare and some constipation, till it all settled down. I have now been 2+ months with normally formed bowel movements. I do rarely have some urgency but the stools are formed, not liquid. This medication has been life changing for me...I can now sit and enjoy a meal with friends and family without constantly having on my mind that I am, at any point, going to need to rush to the bathroom."

vnldoaid (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have suffered from IBS-D for over 15 years. I tried numerous medications and nothing has ever worked .I went to a new dr and was recently prescribed Xifaxan and it has changed my life completely. In the first 24 hours I felt immediate relief.I am now able to eat again and not always turn to find the nearest bathroom.I don't have to wake up two hours before work anymore because my stomach is not upset.I have not felt "normal" in years and it's such a great feeling. I feel I can live a normal life with this medication . I am hoping some of you who suffer find relief . IBS is horrible and no one actually understands what it is like unless you have it . Thank goodness something worked ."

Ms.D November 5, 2016

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I live on a fixed budget also paying for my nursing home. 892.00 for 60 pills is ridiculous.I will quit taking these pills . These pharmaceutical companies just take it to us as much as they can. we need more regulations to how much they can charge us. We have a choice to pay or not. I will let nature take it's course."

jet jones October 27, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug has a higher efficacy if several things are also implemented at the same time. 1. eliminate foods you are intolerant (3 months to indefinitely) 2. while healing (3 months min) eliminate gassy hard to digest foods like cruciferous, onions, beans, alcohol, sugar alcohols, etc... 3. replete zinc - diarrhea depletes zinc and zinc deficiency perpetuates diarrhea 4. take a gentle fiber like acacia 5. take a high potency probiotic (vsl#3 and florastor) along with the fiber in between xifaxan doses and continue this while healing (at least 3 months) or longer. 6. address motility issues and hypochlorhydria and poor digestive enzyme production - if you aren't digesting properly if facilitates s.i.b.o. 7. NO TOBACCO!!"

GottaGo September 20, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS for over 50 years. This medication did nothing for me."

Jackieblue2 September 20, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Sadly this medication gave no relief at all and actually made things worse... Severe nausea and vomiting on top of constant diarrhea, not an easy thing to multi task if you know what I mean. But hey, all meds work differently for different people. Hope others had better luck than I did."

SMiller22 (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS-D for the past 8 years and am able to manage it with a regular regime of Xifaxan for the past several years. Every 6 weeks, I go on a 10 day regimen of Xifaxan and, yes, it does get worse when I'm not on it. But I can control the diarrhea, and somewhat the bloating. The bloating gets worse with my diet. So watching gas producing foods is a must."

Dorchestergroup (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2016