User Reviews for Rifaximin

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 6.2
Summary of Rifaximin reviews 6.8 119 reviews

Reviews for Rifaximin

Jack · Taken for less than 1 month September 5, 2020

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had to stop this Xifaxan after 9 days because it was making my IBS-D even worse. Two days later and I'm still terrible. This drug is not worth the gamble when the best you can hope for is "up to 6 months of relief."”

Devorah1 August 21, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've nearly completed a course of rifaximin for SIBO. My burping and bloating after eating are improved and I'm finally having normal bowel movements. What a relief! (I hope I stay well because I have heard that many people experience a recurrence after treatment). I did have significant muscle pain and muscle weakness while on the medicine. No other side effects. I will give an update in a few months.”

SH August 5, 2020

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Worked great! Took a couple of treatments. I have not had a problem with IBS since. No side effects. The reviews about SIBO should be removed from the IBS reviews. This drug is indicated for IBS-D not for SIBO.”

Thumper · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had terrible nausea all the time that was worse about 2 hrs after eating, my stomach would swell up with gas , I was belching but could not throw up, retaining water and terrible gas pain below my sternum. I have heart issues requiring water pills and blood pressure meds. I was stopping taking meds because of nausea and watery and gassy diarrhea, thought it was the end of me. Took all tests which were normal, probiotics made it worse. Finally convinced my Dr to try Xifaxan because read about SIBO on internet. The first 14 day course gave me 80% relief and felt much better , after 3.5 months symptoms came back so had another 14 day prescription. Felt good, now it’s been 3.5 months and symptoms are coming back. Is this possible? Can you stay on Xifaxan long term with 3-4 month intervals? My Dr is unavailable because of COVID virus. Any advise please.....thanks”

EastCoastChic May 3, 2020

For Crohn's Disease: “I am 38yrs old, I have had bowel issues my whole life, diagnosed with Crohns's diseas (CD) when I was 15. I ended up having issues with SIBO 1.5 years ago and honestly felt hopeless as my symptoms worsened. My skin was dull, breaking out, terrible gas, bloating and I was so tired I could barely function. My naturopath is the one who finally told me about Rifaximin, my specialist refused to try me on it. After discussing with my family doctor he finally agreed to prescribe it. It is expensive- but I was willing to try anything at this point. Within the first 24 hours I knew that it was working. My dose was 550mg 3 times a day for four weeks. I am currently into my second week. I feel better than I have in years. I am so thankful to have found this medication. I did have headaches and some gas/pain on and off the first week. Which is normal with die off. My skin has cleared up and I feel normal again. I hope that once I finish the medication that this continues.”

Judy · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Was prescribed Xifaxan for 2 wks for bacterial overgrowth small intestine.it did help but didn't fully get rid of symptoms. I had sickness after eating, gas, stomach pain..etc. Was an improvement though. I do have insurance and the pharmacy had to use coupon one at a time..2 pills per rx..it was a pain but I paid 50 dollars total.”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “6th day with difficulty noted only when I eat high fodmaps foods. Taking this for SIBO- methane positive. A few difficult times but directly related to foods I’m eating. Possibly “die off” symptoms..... if I’d been unaware of this, I would’ve believed I should stop the meds. As it is, I think it’s a sign that it’s working. Although physical symptoms have been uncomfortable, my mood and acne have been under control. I don’t know how I’ll feel after this but tolerating it well so far. I feel like I’m waging war on the bad bacteria trying to hide out on my gut lining ”

Rocky · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Didn't do anything for my irritable bowel syndrome. I still continue to have abdominal cramping and gas even after taking this rifaximin antibiotic for two weeks.”

Grateful · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was able to get rifaximin (twice a day for 10 days) in samples from my Gastroenterologist. He tried to prescribe it about a year ago and even with all months of back and forth with my insurance (Medicare and Tricare for Life), they refused the prescription. Because I do not have commercial insurance I don't qualify for the voucher coupon from the manufacturer. Within 24 hours I could tell a positive difference. I had no negative side effects; a surprising plus for me as I have a lot of allergies to meds (rx and otc). After years of pain, discomfort, a lot of daily inconvenience of both IBS-D and C, I have my life back! For me, the success of this antibiotic on my gut is somewhere around 90%. Oh my, this is an amazing drug and I am so thankful! I've read it might only work for up to 10 weeks; I am not looking forward to regression but I'm not going to worry about it. Right now I'm enjoying leaving the house when I want without worries and not having pain, bloating, or ..anything!”

Samantha January 22, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “So about 6 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS/ acid reflux and was put on Librax and Omeprozole MD. It kept me out of the hospital (for the most part) but still left me in pain. About two years ago I quit smoking and took out gluten and dairy from my life and everything was awesome! BUT THEN...about 2 months ago the pain came back the way it had years ago but 10 fold. So I went to a new GI and he had tested me for something I never heard of, SIBO and it came back positive. He immediately prescribed me this medication. This is my second day on it and all I can say is I pray it works. I have read some reviews speaking of headaches and cramping, I have experienced both however like I said it’s only my second day on it. I hope it works and fast because I am typing this while hunched over in pain.”

Edward · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: “I think it is helping. I’m still confused all the time. Now on Federal Disabilty. Difficult to remember to do things. Difficult to drive my Carrera S. But I have hope.”

Nan January 8, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “After suffering with IBS-D for a year and a half, was about to give up on any relief. A colonoscopy and subsequent samples and biopsies also showed no results. Yet, from the first thing in the morning, all day, and into the night, I could never be sure when I would have to run to the bathroom. Finally, my doctor prescribed Xifaxan . Because it was prohibitively expensive, I put off getting it because the cost for 14 day treatment was equivalent to almost the total monthly amount I get from Social Security. Finally, I was able to obtain the medication through the manufacturer’s patient assistance program. I cannot tell you what a difference this medication has made. I can go about daily activities without worry. The audible stomach rumblings have ceased, and the flatulence is gone. When you read about IBS-D they say the only real side effect is the stress and psychological effects. More true words have never been spoken. I have my life back and I am so grateful.”

Cindy December 20, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had IBS-D for so many years I can not remember not having to deal with it. About 3 years ago I entered a research program with a blind study of Xifaxan. When I started taking the real drug I could tell a major improvement in less than a week and after the 14 days I had no signs of IBS-D. This lasted for about 4 months and slowly the IBS-D started back. I have been on a 14 day 3x a day of 550 mg. for the past 2 yrs and this last time has lasted me 9 months before symptoms started coming back. I will speak with my Dr. to get another prescription.”

MR Meat · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Xifaxan was prescribed to help my IBS. My stomach tolerated it for 4 days, but now I can’t stay out of the bathroom. It has destroyed my stomach and I have been taking pepto and imodium to slow it down but to no avail. Be careful this can wreck your stomach. I regret taking it”

Been screwed December 13, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I paid $750 for 42 pills. The coupons only work if you have no insurance and are dead broke. I took the 550 mg three times a day for 3 weeks. I had only minor improve. This drug company should be ashamed. Totally outrageous.”

Abigail November 13, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Xifaxan did not work at all for my IBS. Made things worse.”

RN with IBS-d · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I took 2 courses of this two month apart. Both months my period or period symptoms did not come which I will call a win for me! My IBS symptoms have been in control for 9 years now! Sadly they are back and I'm ready to take this again. Also 100% got rid of my GERD. I am a big advocate of rifaximin for IBD-d people.”

Abigail · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Stopped using Xifaxan after 5 days. Caused immediate bloating but wanted to give it a chance.”

Spartan Nation October 23, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “GI doctor prescribed rifaximin for my IBS. He made it sound like this is a miracle drug with no side effects. I was supposed to take it 3x a day for two weeks. The side effects started the very first day on the medication. For some reason, it made my bloating much worse! The bloating was painful and caused back pain with difficulty sleeping. I normally have a lot of gas and all of a sudden stopped being able to pass any. Eating any food caused increased stomach pain. I also started getting headaches with fatigue. I was willing to put up with the headaches and fatigue but the increased amount of bloating and stomach pain made it too difficult to stay on the medication. I only lasted 3 days on the medication and had to stop. I checked with the pharmacist and she didn't understand why my doctor said Xifaxan was a completely safe medication because it can cause side effects. The GI doctor had no other suggestions to help me so I'm back to living with constant IBS.”

Surv October 17, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have SIBO/dysbiosis and was prescribed and took Xifaxan 3x/day for 2 weeks. Felt nothing. No die off or herxing. Then, several weeks later after completing the dose and still experiencing SIBO symptoms, I became seriously ill. No gut motility, could not eat or drink, experienced excruciating pain every time I took a breath, while having SEVERE pain throughout my body. Chills so bad that I was shaking. I don't even remember the first several days of the onset. A friend said that I called (don't remember this) and stated that I thought I was dying. She said I sounded terrified. Here's the thing. If you have a leaky gut, this drug does not "stay in the small intestine". So it had a systemic effect in a bad way. I am still recovering many weeks later and am not at base line. Actually, I feel worse than I did before I took Xifaxan. BEWARE....right now I have stomach pain and I didn't have this before. Most likely, it killed the good bacteria. Leaky gut should be a contra-indication.”

Nothappy · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had IBS and Explosive Bowel movement’s at any time. Spent $422.00 for this medicine in the hopes it would solve my problems. It did not. Took the recommended dosage till the prescription was complete.”

SmokyHollow · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: “I have been on Xifaxan for 1 month now. I'm on Medicare so you know that story. Took me 9 months to finally acquire. Before Xifaxan I spent my day like a dog chasing my tail. Has done a tremendous job on clearing up my thought process. Would like to add this comment, shame on you The Food and Drug Cartel. Who are the real criminals here?”

Peewee · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: “Hi I have end stage liver and could not use bathroom for a bowel motion unless I took a bunch of lactulose to go, and when I did it was crazy I pooped my brains out. But I was having a problem because it would make me a prisoner in my home. Then I tried Xifaxan and after taking for three days no result, fourth day bingo and I stayed using it and it was more tolerable than lactose. So I feel much better. So I go to my gastroenterologist and told him it worked great but I now have heart failure "" not good"" ”

siboj · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’m on my 5th - 7th doses of rifaximin 550mg tid for small bacterial overgrowth. Have developed difficulty urinating despite drinking tons of water. Also vague sensation of burning and pain. Urinalysis negative. Curious whether others have had this.”

Nomie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have IBS SIBO and when I have a bad attack I take rifixamin 550 2 times daily. I can tell you this drug works overnight for me. I take it for 7 days and have relief for around 7 /8 weeks. It is a Wonderdrug for me.”