User Reviews for Psyllium

Also known as: Metamucil, Reguloid, Fiber Capsules, Fiber Therapy, Konsyl, Metamucil Berry Burst Smooth Texture Sugar Free, Fiberall, Genfiber, Laxmar, Konsyl-Orange, Konsyl-D, Cilium, Alramucil, Hydrocil, Fiber Eze, Natural Fiber Therapy, Laxmar Orange Metamucil Orange Smooth Texture Metamucil Orange Smooth Texture Sugar Free Metamucil Unflavored Coarse Milled Original Texture Metamucil Orange Coarse Milled Original Texture Metamucil Unflavored Smooth Texture Sugar Free Laxmar Sugar Free Metamucil Original Texture Regular Metamucil Smooth Texture …show all brand names

Psyllium has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 53 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of those users who reviewed Psyllium reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 7.2
Constipation 7.1
Dietary Fiber Supplementation 5.9
Summary of Psyllium reviews 7.0 53 reviews

Reviews for Psyllium

Susan · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have taken Metamucil for the last few years for my digestive issues. It slightly improved my digestion. Two weeks ago, I saw MetaMucil Premium at Publix for the first time. I decided to try it. It has drastically improved my digestion for the last 2 weeks. I am curious what is different in the Premium? I can't tell you how much better I am feeling and I'm so grateful. Thank You”

Red stone October 31, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “I used Metamucil and it was 2 years before the blockage passed. Had to see specialist. Worst product for me.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “After months of stool softeners and laxatives, I tried Metamucil. Three weeks later, regular BM every day. Hint-put a spoonful in half glass of water and stir. Putting water into glass with Metamucil in bottom of glass results in clumps that do not dissolve.”

Sash · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had significant flare ups with severe inflammation and obstruction this year. After only weeks of taking Metamucil each my bowel habits have changed and there is no inflammation (2 months now) and the form and size and shape of bowel movements) is somewhat normal which I have not experienced in many years. My bowel feels healthier.”

Blue September 19, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “My goodness That psylliumt caused stomach pain I just took it one time and didn’t work I drank bunch of water and was helpless”

MustangSally · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Have been reading the reviews for Metamucil with interest. My own experience is vastly different from what I am reading. It is actually causing worst diarrhea for me. I am going to try it in pill form instead of the powder to see if it makes a difference.”

Lin · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Just started Metamucil today with a spoonful of the berry flavor in a glass of water. Yuck! I added lime juice and it’s tastes so much better, almost like a mixed drink! Hope this works! I Have had IBS D for 30 years! Bottoms up!”

Dèbora · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2020

Konsyl (psyllium) for Constipation: “Konsyl powder save my life, it is the best in the market. Thanks very much konsyl, l love you. Eu te amo”

margo · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Metamucil helps me so much for IBS. I haven’t felt this good in many months. Overall gas, IBS and even stomach pains are reduced to almost none. I’ve had IBS for a couple years now and after just a few days of taking this every other day I feel great!!”

Dick June 27, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “Started using Metamucil 4 days ago. Two days later, began itching all over my body. Tried various creams but got progressively worse. Am discontinuing after 4 days in hope that itching will stop.”

Blue · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

Konsyl (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I just started taking Konsyl and OMG!!! Life changer!!! I am only on week one and I think this is the answer I have been looking for! I have suffered from IBS and ulcerative colitis for 40 years. I am in shock, thank you KONSYL”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 13, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “Metamucil is great but the new formula with Stevia DOES NOT WORK THE SAME. It's not even close. I won't get detailed but it simply does not do its job. I feel more bloated after taking. Do not buy it with Stevia.”

SolomanSasi · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I used it for 2 years and figured out that it caused high blood pressure. Please measure your blood pressure before and after taking the dose and you see the difference.”

Crazeek April 7, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “My gastroenterologist told me that I was developing lot of inflammation in my gut. He instructed me to get more fiber. I was experiencing symptoms of incomplete evacuation. Also I found it difficult to clean my bottom after a BM. This left my bottom irritated from leakage. I finally started taking Metamucil. Now I can have a complete BM. Nothing is left behind. When I wipe the tissue is clean. I have been taking it for two days now. I can tell a difference for the better. I hope it continues to help me feel clean.”

D February 12, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “IBS-D for 3 years. Fast onset. Breath test confirmed, bad methane and other gases. Finally got Xifaxin x2 - didn't seem to help much. Enzymes didn't seem to help but keep taking them as I do Betaine HCL. Getting a bit better. GI finally said generic psyllium powder/Metamucil and I started with 1 tbsp a day. Too much gas but other symptoms started to lessen. Worked down to 1 tsp a day with water in the morning...and after 3 months, I feel normal again. A miracle. I also take 1 psyllium capsule with lunch and dinner. I have started to put 'gassy' fiber like beans back in my diet. No problems! A miracle. My suggestion is take it no matter what.....I use 1 cup of water. I have my life back.”

PJ February 7, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “I started taking Metamucil and initially it worked but not without stomach cramps. The next two days I have had stomach cramps but no bowel moments. I am ceasing the use of this junk !”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was having horrible stomach cramps with diarrhea on a daily basis last couple of years. And I tried every antidiarrheal medication out there and it wasn't really helping. After several weeks of it my mom said we need to figure out what is going on so she took me to our general physician and he said I need to be on probiotics and recommend me to a GI doctor. The GI doctor ran a bunch of test and told me that if I continue taking antidiarrheal medication it could paralyze my gut so she told me to stop and try metamucil so I tried the powder for a couple of months and I didn't like the taste of it so I switched to the Metamucil Fiber Thins (chocolate) flavor and they taste so good that it helped me a lot. I don't get diarrhea very often anymore. Every once in awhile I'll get some loose stools but other than that I been having normal bowel movements ever since I started doing the metamucil fiber thins.”

JoeSunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Dietary Fiber Supplementation: “I started using metamucil as a post partum treatment for constipation. I would go a week with no bowel movement. When the movement finally arrived it would tear the hemorrhoid I developed during pregnancy. I started using 1 tsp of metamucil per day. It has been a bit of a roller coaster. It does create bulk and soften stools which has helped the frequency of the movements and reduced the pain from tearing during a bowel movement. However it has also caused some pretty painful abdominal cramps and pain that radiates into the lower back. Unfortunately the pain it causes does not out weigh the benefit so I have stopped using it and switched to bran cereal and plenty more raw vegetables. I have used metamucil daily for the last 8 weeks. Pain with use started around 3 weeks ago.”

Niko · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “I started using Metamucil as suggested by my surgical assistant after adhesion surgery. Within 2 days of starting Metamucil, I began having muscle pain throughout my whole body. I could barely use my hands because of the pain in my forearms and hands. My feet and legs began hurting, it hurt to walk. Stopped the Metamucil for a 2 weeks as suggested by my primary doctor. Pain began to ease off, but constipation returned. Tried Metamucil again for 2 days. This time the pain was back and was worse. My whole body was in pain. I stopped it after talking with primary again and pain is now almost completely gone. I do not know why this caused so much body and muscle pain for me, but I will never touch it again.”

TJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 14, 2019

Konsyl (psyllium) for Constipation: “I had been taking psyllium caplets (five 3x a day) for many years for my IBS-C and they were working fine. One day out of the blue I had a very hard BM that caused an anal fissure. I had never even heard of those! Went to see a colorectal doc and she said the powdered form of fiber is best and the Konsyl is the best on the market. She said is has to do with how it is milled. At first the taste made me gag, but I find if you use very cold water, the taste is almost nothing and it is easier to drink. I also chug it down quickly. I have to take it 3x a day for it to work for me; breakfast, lunch and one more in the evening to keep things "moving". It can be pricey and I never see sales. I buy it at Target to save 5% with my Target debit card.”

shells44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2019

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “This should be a recommendation for most seniors. I never had a "pooping issue' until I went past 70. I have diverticulosis, gastric reflux and a hiatal hernia and now constipation that is hardly good for my BMs. I eat a lot of fiber laden food and still it an be a difficult "go". My gastroenterologist recommended Metamucil and what a change. Softer, fuller and easier to go. Since seniors can get sometimes fatal blockage this should be the first choice to help prevent that not the stronger Miralax that originally was by prescription, of course once you have been checked over by a doctor.”

DeliDad · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2019

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “Worked good at first, then it caused my constipation to get much worse. Stools became very hard and dry. This leads to bleeding, hemorrhoids and colon issues. Constipation and dehydration work together. Drink plenty of good water everyday.”

Pammie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2019

Konsyl (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Prescribed by my gastroenterologist , it’s been a lifesaver for me. I couldn’t believe how quickly my condition improved with daily use. I hope others will have the same results.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

Metamucil (psyllium) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This stuff changed my life!! I've been taking metamucil for about 3 months now. Doctors have put me through the ringer of testing and made me a guinea pig for medicines. I've been given every type of IBS diet, medicine and regiment know to man with NO RESOLVE or relief. I had tried everything else so this was my last alternative, I wish it had been my FIRST! I started with 1/2 tsp and worked up... The most I took was a tbsp in a day which I didn't need and backed back down to only a teaspoon a day. I suffer from the diarrhea type of IBS. I take metamucil everyday usually right after breakfast or lunch with Sonny D or OJ. I've been an IBS sufferer since I was 16 I'm 42 now. I highly recommend you give this a try. Blessings to you!!”

MG October 5, 2019

Metamucil (psyllium) for Constipation: “Someone had mentioned on this forum to take magnesium oxide supplement along with Metamucil and it really work for constipation. I started taking 500mg along with 1 dose of Metamucil for constipation and it’s worked wonders. I had a surgery to fix a prolapse but still had trouble going because of internal hemorrhoids this has helped so much. I’m happy to not rely on stimulant laxatives”