User Reviews for Librax

Librax has an average rating of 9.0 out of 10 from a total of 58 ratings on Drugs.com. 87% of those users who reviewed Librax reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Enterocolitis   9.5
Irritable Bowel Syndrome   9.0
Peptic Ulcer   8.0
Summary of Librax reviews 9.0 58 reviews

Reviews for Librax

SLS · Taken for 10 years or more March 2, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had IBS for 29 yrs. Started after the birth of my 1st child. I have been prescribed Librax for the past 15 years. It is definitely a life saver. I only take it when needed, and it works within 30 min. I will say I have been in public COUNTLESS times and had a traumatic “blow out!” Probably should take it daily. As far as cost, my insurance covered it in the past, but today I start Medicare... One prescription last me a long time, thank goodness!”

Sameer February 25, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have a diarrhea once in a week and cramps. I have nausea, hurt in left abdomen while walking, lost 20lbs weight. Different drs diagnosed me with Dysmotility, I was on mesacol 800 for a year. Then I went to new dr he told me you don't have to take mesacol and gave me libratex to take at sleep time. I took and got cramps and diarrhea at morning time for days. Then I stopped taking it. I am confused.”

captdave · Taken for 10 years or more February 12, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Librax works well for my IBS, the problem is it is becoming so hard to have my pharmacy to obtain the medication. What is the problem?????”

ron February 2, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “According to my physician he prescribed me Librax 2 times a day for 10 days which helped a lot for my IBS but AFTER some days I had appointment at my psychiatrist for severe anxiety to which my psychiatrist prescribed normaxin for 3 times a day for 10 days and several other anxiety-related tablets but after visit to psychiatrist I did went to toilet for 3 continuous days and on the fourth day(today) I did my work without any issues”

KC · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 13, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “The generic of Librax is available but only 1 manufacturer is making it so it’s hard to find & expensive. My insurance won’t pay for it now even tho I’ve been taking it for years & 2 years ago they paid for it. It’s ridiculous the FDA took the brand Librax off the market! It’s the only thing that works for my IBS diarrhea, no other med compares. I paid $240 for 90 day supply using a discount card. Please don’t get rid of this drug!!”

koonkat · Taken for 10 years or more November 8, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I had a problem with Esophageal spasms in the 90s. There was a feeling that food was getting stuck in my throat and I lost 50 lbs! Librax cured this condition and, as an upshot effect is that loose bowel issues are minimized compared to previous experience .”

Cookie · Taken for 10 years or more October 20, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been using Librax for my IBS more than 20 years I have recently been told and is no longer going to be covered by my insurance and they move the drug to a different class. My doctor is looking for a substitute but I'm not crazy about the new medication that have a lot of side effects I don't understand how this happened”

Shellybean · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 13, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Took librax years ago for irritable bowel syndrome it work great but thought it had been discontinued, is it back available?”

LWm · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2020

For Enterocolitis: “I have had stomach cramps that caused me to pass out from pain when I was around 14 years old. Tried a few different meds without success. Librium and Librax together worked perfectly for over 35 years, but now the doctor will not subscribe the two together as they contain a small amount of librium in the LIBRAX. I can't figure why they say 'do no harm' when this worked perfectly for a large portion of my life. I am now 72 and need to get back to what actually worked. Tried Hyoscamine. Not even similar to what works in my system. Why does the newer doctors not understand when this has been prescribed by other doctors and the results were just perfect ?”

Micael · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I just found that I have IBS-D after going to several doctors. Since I started to take Librax 1 week ago I feel much better. I take 2 pills everyday, I wonder which doses other people take...”

sri · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “excellent”

Anonymous September 3, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I use Librax as per advice of my Doctor treating my IBS which is characterised by severe occasional cramp and huge loose motion / diarrhea. But I am also have confusion as regards which is more effective, rifaximin or librax?? Though 2 are different types, and rifaximin is an antibiotic”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Have used Librax sparingly as needed for 30 yrs. Its getting very expensive even with the generic version. But this medicine works wonders,f or most stomach problems. I just take a few days at a time an only use when I need it.”

Anonymous June 17, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was wondering why this medication is not FDA approved. It has been out for a long time. Due to that my insurance will not pay for it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 13, 2018

“I am 63 and librax was approved by the FDA in 1966. I was 11 at the time. I had severe abdominal cramping at the time which stopped me in my tracks. The doctor put me on the new drug. I did not know until now that it had benzodiazapine in it. I feel sad that I took it when I was so young and I do not think there were a lot of studies back then. I wonder now if the librax, for me, was the beginning of addiction in general. I will ever know and did not think of it until I was asked about my youth. I am very happy that it is available and works for many. Who will ever know.”

Nita · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’ve suffered from IBS as long as I can remember. Although I didn’t know that when I was a kid! I had several unexplained episodes of severe pain that landed me in the ER since the birth of my first born in 2012. I had my gallbladder removed, had a colonoscopy and laparoscopy which were inconclusive! Since my gallbladder was removed in 2015 I had 2 attacks which know doctor could explain. I’ve had so much flatulence and awful smelling gas but since starting Librax less than a month ago I haven’t had any symptoms except for being really sleepy and having terrible headaches!”

PammieKay · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had stomach trouble ALL my life and had my gallbladder removed 10 yrs ago and it didn't help. As the years past it has steadily gotten worse and in the last year my "episodes" lasting longer. I have missed so much work and if I did not work for family, would have lost my job. Been on Bentyl and Levison and neither helped much. Especially with the gut knotting up and cramping. Have only been on it for three days but on my third day it has helped starting today! I am so hopeful after reading the majority of these post and how they have helped. Thanks to all for posting as I thought I was losing my mind and was truly getting suicidal as I could find no relief.”

can't take any more IBS-D · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been taking generic Librax for about 9 years. It works up to a point, but is certainly not a cure for IBS. After eliminating nearly everything from my diet and taking Librax 4 times per day, I still have episodes where I cannot stop going to the bathroom. I have to turn to lamotil to stop the urge, even with the Librax. As someone mentioned, it has benzodiazepines in it which take some time to get used to, but after a couple of months you will only notice that your sense of balance is somewhat compromised. You should never stop taking Librax cold turkey. The withdrawal of the sedative is absolutely horrible. I tried to stop cold turkey once, and it was a terrible mistake. The drug is fairly effective at reducing the D.”

Brucewayne305 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Sell your soul. This is the hands down best medicine for IBS; it is perfect, for the first few months. As soon as the tolerance to the Librium catches up to you then you get the bill, google librax withdrawal. Withdrawing from a benzodiazepine is pure hell, (I am in it) If you must do it go for two weeks to get relief and then stop.”

Librax OD November 7, 2017

For Peptic Ulcer: “It worked extremely well for having lots and lots of bms. However I became really down and thats never happened before. That was with 1 dose.”

Sacheigirl October 12, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've had IBS for many years along with anxiety as well as mitral valve prolapse syndrome. I've been given several different meds but good old Librax keeps me stable. I do not abuse it which my doc knows but I never run out of having it. I have found the generic does just as well for me. It's an old medicine and many doctors do not choose to use it. I've taken as many as 5 a day and as few as 1. It calms me so much better than other meds such as Paxil or Lexapro. It has absolutely saved me!!”

RoniW · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I finally talked my doctor into ordering Librax. I had heard about it before but never tried it....I have IBS, plus a bunch of unknown-cause bowel issues.....and the worst which is constant nausea. Bentyl helped with cramps, not with nausea. Tried other meds that didn't work. My doctor suggested Donnatal.....not covered by insurance, and for one month it was over $700!! So frustrating! Then he agreed to the Librax....I was SO happy, flew to the pharmacy to get it........NOT covered either! I got half of the script for $75 to see if it worked, and it DOES! Actually took my nausea away and let me relax for the first time in days! Now have to try and get the money to get the refill when I need it. :(”

Thiskittybites. · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Recently diagnosed with IBS (D) after months of pain and significant weight loss 30+ llbs. Hyoscamine didn't help much, Librax does but the side effects for me are awful, after 2-3 days on it I develop severe headache which does not abate no matter what pain releif I use, if I continue to take it it then triggers days and days of cripplig migraines. So at the moment I take it on and off to keep the side effects down.”

Prettyinred99 May 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This medicine has been a life saver. Although I don't have ibs, I do have generalized anxiety, which can cause a variety of unpleasant ibs-like symptoms. My doctor first tried me on various antidepressants; however, none of them worked. Paxil was by far the worst. It made me sleep 12+ hours a day, it made me feel like a zombie--I lost my sex drive and all of my motivation to do school work--and it made me suicidal. Although I have had some pretty terrible experiences with anxiety, I've never been suicidal, so I knew I had to get off Paxil ASAP. If it wasn't for Librax, I wouldn't have been able to get through my junior year of college. This medicine isn't a "cure all," but it does allow me to function as normally as possible.”

Zales · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have an ibs problem 2 or 3 times a week about 30 minutes after eating. I have severe cramps with diarrhea. The pain is so bad that I experience gagging and dry heaves or vomiting. Sometimes I have constipation. When I feel the first cramp, I take a librax and the cramps stop like a miracle. I keep my librax with me at all times because I never know when I am going to have an attack.”