User Reviews for Librax

Learn more about Librax.

Librax Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Librax to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"This medicine has been a life saver. Although I don't have ibs, I do have generalized anxiety, which can cause a variety of unpleasant ibs-like symptoms. My doctor first tried me on various antidepressants; however, none of them worked. Paxil was by far the worst. It made me sleep 12+ hours a day, it made me feel like a zombie--I lost my sex drive and all of my motivation to do school work--and it made me suicidal. Although I have had some pretty terrible experiences with anxiety, I've never been suicidal, so I knew I had to get off Paxil ASAP. If it wasn't for Librax, I wouldn't have been able to get through my junior year of college. This medicine isn't a "cure all," but it does allow me to function as normally as possible."

Prettyinred99 May 15, 2016

"I have an ibs problem 2 or 3 times a week about 30 minutes after eating. I have severe cramps with diarrhea. The pain is so bad that I experience gagging and dry heaves or vomiting. Sometimes I have constipation. When I feel the first cramp, I take a librax and the cramps stop like a miracle. I keep my librax with me at all times because I never know when I am going to have an attack."

Zales (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2016

"I have had IBS D for most of my adult life. No one could figure it out. I didn't eat while at school because I was afraid of the results. I was super skinny until I was 30. Hard to believe it took doctors that long to figure it out. I went from Doctor to Doctor. Some telling me it "was all in my head". Others saying it was a result of my diet. I switched my diet, I meditated, I did everything I could but no joy. Finally I met a doctor who understood exactly what I was going through. He put me on a regimen of loperamide, lomotil and most importantly librax. What a difference. I can honestly say my life has completely changed. The only problem is librax tests positive for benzodiazepines, which make you fail drug tests."

Survivor46 (taken for 10 years or more) February 21, 2016

"I have taken Librax for 17 years and it worked better than anything I had tried. I just found out Medicare formulary does not include it. I am learning why I started taking it years ago- my IBS is back at full strength! I did flunk a drug test once when the MRO refused to accept the prescription as the cause. He said it was not the correct Benzodiazepine, but it was. A different doctor overrode his decision."

Old gut (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2015

"I've suffered since I was a kid with IBS. Didn't know what it was, but I can say this. Stay away from caffeine and milk related products, as I was especially drinking coffee at 9 years of age. Don't ask, just old grand parents who thought nothing of it. Stress, anxiety are also due to this IBS that I had or sometimes recurs. Librax is a life saver. I'm thin as it is, but getting even thinner was just ugly. Thanks for coming up with a medication that controls this problem. All my symptoms have gone, and I feel I can function properly at work and with my two little ones. Life is wonderful again."

Dude mango September 4, 2015

"I started taking librax for my ibs about 4 days ago. The pain is almost all gone and I am only having 2-3 bowel movements instead of 6-10. my only complaint is that I feel like a zombie on this medicine. It has gotten a little better as the days have gone by I was just wondering if everyone experiences this in the beginning and if it goes away once you build a tolerance."

Nunezsteph (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2015

"I suddenly started having severe pain and vomiting after eating anything thicker than water. I lost 44 pounds in 2 months. The ER doctor put me on Librax, and I can eat again! This medication saved my life! I continue to take it 3 times a day before meals."

nursegilbert19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

"On third day started having hoarseness and cough , on and off. Became so bad have discontinued use. It did seem to calm my intestinal pain significantly. Still having hoarseness even after stopping."

Hiccup (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015

"Not only did this medication reduce the symptoms of IBS which for me felt like problems with my heart (which in turn drove up my anxiety), it also gave me the best sleep I had in months. I experienced no side-effects while using it. That said, long-term use could become detrimental, best discuss with your Dr."

Clint. June 24, 2015

"I have had some kind of mild IBS for 40 years as well as diverticulitis. Over the past several years my symptoms of IBS-D got to the point that I was having an average of 4 loose bm's a day and often more accompanied by bloating, explosive gas and urgency. Tried the wellness doctor/nutrition route for a year with minimal results. Finally found a Doctor willing to prescribe some medicine, and after a few trials and error, Voila!, we tried a combination of Librax and trazadone and I had immediate and dramatic relief! The underlying problem is still there and I still have multiple bm's, but I can at least control the urge and go for hours without having to run to a bathroom. For me, it's been a minor miracle!"

chiefpottysitem May 24, 2015

"Librax saved, saved, my life! After suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome- Constipation, for about 30 years, and all sorts of anti-spasmodics that did nothing... whatsoever, my Dr. Prescribed Librax. I only have to take one pill at the first signs of that old familiar gut wrenching pain and it all melts away in about 20 mins. I don't know what I would do without it."

Pickerpie April 23, 2015

"Life saver. I have Celiacs, colitis, and most likely irritable bowel syndrome. Also had small bowel resection about two years ago now. Diarrhea/cramping/nausea can get pretty bad at times. Have been taking 1-2 twice a day and these issues completely go away for me in about an hour. My anxiety about going out and having an episode has decreased significantly because I know there is something that will help me. FINALLY. This medication has also allowed me to get into running again. AMAZING. AMAZING. AMAZING. I feel many doctors are hesitant to prescribe this because of the benzodiazepine component, but the only side effect I seem to have is dry eyes and mouth. Have tried every other antispasmodic, no luck. So happy it's helping others."

BeckyV (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"In 1990 due to the stress of my father and my husband having life-threatening health issues, I, who was a very healthy person, wound up in the doctor's office explaining of my excruciating abdominal pain, my weakness, nausea, and desire to sleep. I was given a prescription for Librax. and was told if it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Librax would help me. It was a life-saver! Since then I've suffered three or four episodes, but none as severe as the first two. They always come during a time of 'life stress' issues. No insurance. No negative side effects of Librax for me!"

Annie1946 (taken for 10 years or more) July 14, 2014

"I developed irritable bowel syndrome while in college. During my first "episode" I wound up hospitalized due to severe abdominal pain and dehydration. I had already been diagnosed with GERD 18 months prior (from a doctor prescribing ibuprofen, I take 4x daily for WAY too long). After a couple days of tests and fluids the GI Doc. diagnosed me with anxiety induced irritable bowel syndrome. Paired with GERD I was in constant agony. Lots of vomiting. I lost 15lbs in a couple weeks (started out at 135lbs at 5'3") and was close to being hospitalized again. Then a doctor put me on Librax and Prilosec. I can enjoy life again. I have fewer than 4 episodes a year now of IBS (still trying to manage the GERD). I take 2-3 a day, 4 if I decide to go out for spicy or overly greasy food. LOVE LIBRAX."

CTS2014 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2014

"I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 29 years. I have been on Librax and Zantac for those years. In 2007 it went into remission. Came back out in December 2013. It has been terrible so back on Librax 1-2 tablets 4 times per day. Since February 2014 I have lost 27lbs also taking Vitamin B12 shots to build me up because my body was not getting enough nutrients. "

CBS 1976 April 14, 2014

"This has definitely helped my irritable bowel syndrome symptoms which are horrible gas pain, and foul smelling flatulence. It is not perfect and I did go off it to try Linzess but that did not work at all so went back to Librax. I have started adding Miralax and Citrucel because I think this IBS may be constipation related. I take 2-3 per day."

CMF1225 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2014

"Have suffered all my life with IBS. Not diaganosed until 25. Librax saved my life."

Heather Davidson November 4, 2013

"As many of you know, the pain of gastro issues leave very little to laugh over, so that said: I've gained three inches in height back since taking this medicine! See, I'm NO LONGER walking hunched over with my hand clasping my abdomen with my eyebrows scrunched up! I can stand upright again, now that the pain has subsided. Truth be told, I had very little hope that this medication would work, I'd had "nerve" pills and "stomach" meds and just could NOT fathom that finally something WOULD kick in! I had been in gastro pain for approx 3 years and my eating has become an issue due to it. Having been 93 lbs not very long ago, and now hanging in around 106, I say try this if you can. It MAY have saved my life."

Lisaanngeorge September 10, 2013

"I started on this medicines years ago-4 times a day. MRI showed I spasmed every inch of bowel-horrible pain. Now, I take 2 at bedtime. Has been a life saver, still have episodes but not as frequent. I recommend this to anyone who suffered as I did. It will show up on a drug screen as a benzodiazepine, just make sure you have a script from your doctor. I have insomnia, so it does a double duty, just can't take it during the day and work. "

OLD RN (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2013

"I too had not eaten in almost a year. Bentyl was painful and other medicines made me ill. Librax saved my life. I lost 50lbs and I was not heavy. My problem now is extreme stress keeps me on this medicine. When I can find work or sell house When I am not about to lose everything I hope to get off Librax and Ativan."

Suddenhalt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2013

"Recently started treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The Doctor is indeed highly experienced. On medication thrice daily since 2 weeks now. Only issue is drowsiness, don't feel like getting up from bed, even feel like sleeping during day time, only physical activity then can keep me awake but still drowsiness lingers on."

Iti (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2013

"Very much effective.."

Amit1234 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2012

"With Crohn's and irritable bowel syndrome, trips were out of the question. My MD put me on Librax and in my opinion saved my life. I can now enjoy a meal at a restaurant then take out and eating it at home. The cramps are gone and now I'm am enjoying life as never before. Thanks to my doctor for this miracle."

Cajun Boy (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2012

"Works great if taken more than ten minutes before eating. Saved my life, had not eaten solid food for 2 years."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

"I have had irritable bowel syndrome since childhhod. Bad thing was all doctors thought my symptoms as amebiasis but from internet search I met a doctor. I have to praise him as he prescribed me this medicine, daily one before bed. My problem solved for 10 days which I'm suffering from 15 years."

chowdary March 20, 2012