User Reviews for Bentyl

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
7.8

Summary of Bentyl reviews 7.8 86 reviews

Reviews for Bentyl

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After my gallbladder removed and still didn't feel better, my doctor diagnosed me IBS and prescribed this medication. Within minutes felt better! This was a life saver!!!"

Faith September 14, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I am a very tiny 104 lb 21 year old that’s been suffering from IBS-D post cholecystectomy. Now it’s been a year since I deal with trapped wind, intestinal pain & bloating, diarrhea. It is literally my ileum & descending colon that I feel spasming horrendously; I can only imagine it feels like labor. I have a love and hate relationship with bentyl. I’m an emergency bentyl user (read the potential long term use effects). This helps at least 90% of the time. And when it kicks in, I think, “that attack wasn’t that bad”. It stops the spasming and it decreases the pain; score 10 pain during drops to a 2 60 ish minutes later. 8/10 because of side effects. Mine include blurry vision and confusion. I had to leave work one time because I was just confused, blurred vision, and having an anxiety attack. Believe me. Stay at home for the few hours or take it at night. I honestly hope I helped someone because IBS sufferers need to support each other."

Ibssufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I had an infection called Clostridium Difficile in 2014. Ever since then my IBS has been worse than ever. This drug is a life saver for me. It works within minutes to help calm down the stomach pains. It helps immensely with gas pains. I love this drug. I have been on it since 2016 I had to have a stool transplant and I had the worst stomach pains ever after that for months. I take it as needed but lately I have had to take it more often due to an increase in IBS symptoms again. It does make me tired and causes dry mouth but other than that no side effects."

kamala1227 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was given this drug awhile ago as a doctor felt that I was experiencing IBS along with my GERD. I never used it cause I don't really like trying new drugs. Well about a week ago I either came down with some sort of bug with horrible stomach/intestinal cramps or a bad bout of IBS. I did not have diarrhea or vomiting but just bad cramps. I was desperate and couldn't even rest so I tried one of the 10 mg pills. I have to say within 45 minutes I felt SO much better and seems peak was about 2 hrs in. Was able to sleep as cramping and pain were gone! It does make you drowsy especially when first using it. That faded on day 3 but I was able to sleep anyway if I wanted because I was finally comfortable. TRY IT! And it's great because you can just use it as needed. I never needed more than 1 dose a day to keep things at bay but am able to take it 4 times a day."

MOMof2 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I was diagnosed with microcolitis after a colonoscopy. Up until the colonoscopy I had taken loperamide for the daily early morning diarrhea, which worked ok. After colonoscopy I developed severe abdominal pain - Left lower quadrant (LLQ) pain, especially during aerobic exercise. GI doc prescribed dicyclomine (generic of Bentyl) 20 mg 3X day--worked wonders for pain! But when I tried going without loperamide, diarrhea came back. So now I take both and things are relatively under control, although not "normal.""

Arleeda (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Doctor put me on Bentyl for IBS-C. Within 40 minutes the excruciating pain was gone and I was able to rest. Bentyl is a life saver!"

AMYJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It's getting to be at least once a week. Cramping just like being in labor! Running to bathroom and sometimes not making it. Never know when it will hit me..day or night. Lasts one hour to five hours. Now afraid to make any kind of plans. will it hit me?? Colonoscopy was fine."

Linda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I took them for a week. They did not help at all. I have severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain; worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms. I stopped taking them tonight. Ask the M.D. to prescribe another medication. The pain I feel right now, is excruciating."

EMB (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I went back to this due to side effects with another medication. Bentyl is cheap and works but the side effects make me dizzy and tired. I'll keep taking it because it't the only thing that works. Must take 2-4 times a day to not have cramping but def works for cramping like nothing else."

cheap but comes with a price (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I had had early morning diarrhea (no pain or discomfort) for about six months. MD recommended colonoscopy, which produced a diagnosis of microcolitis. I had already treated this with daily Imodium and was doing okay. After the colonoscopy I had horrible gas pains whenever I engaged in aerobic exercise and sometimes just eating would instigate them. I was given pepto-bismol 4X a day--stopped diarrhea, but not gas pains. Only heat pad or hot bath would do that. Then I was given dicyclomine and after a week the pain subsided. I still feel a knot of gas in LLQ, but it no longer hurts!"

Arleeda (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Started on BENTYL about three weeks ago, the second day I was on it my IBS went away completely, I have had no IBS at all. After over twenty years of fighting IBS, I found a doctor that prescribed the right medication. "

newkidds (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "IBS-D, sometimes C... this medication is great for IBS-D. On numerous occasions I’ve been out to dinner and suddenly started experiencing the all-too-familiar cramping that always leads to terribly painful bowel spasms and the need to find a restroom, stat. I can take one Bentyl at that moment to ease the spasms, get through the rest of the dinner meeting, and make it to my home. A sort of pleasant “side effect” is that it seems that since the Bentyl stops the spasms and effectively makes me able to wait longer to use the restroom, my stool isn’t so loose when I do finally go. Also, there is so much less abdominal pain associated with a bowel movement. I would highly, highly recommend this medication! I’ve noticed no adverse effects."

Sarah0101010 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I'm still waiting to see if it's Celiac disease or inflammatory IBS-D. After 3 weeks of constant diarrhea, dehydration and trip to ER tons of blood work all negative & stool sampes all negative and 16lb weight loss I got in with a GI doctor. I'm waiting back for my inflammatory test & celiac disease test but in the mean time my GI doctor put me on bentyl 20mg up to 4 a times day to help with the diarrhea which is the cause of the weightloss in only 3 weeks. It's worked wonders so far haven't had any diarrhea. I've only been on it 48hrs now. The only side effect I have noticed sometimes it makes my heart race a little for an hour. I have a follow-up with my GI in 3 weeks & hoping to come off of it and be back to eating normal, he thinks I had a viral that caused inflammatory IBS-D"

Better belly (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medication gave me my life back. I can not get through the day with no cramping, no bathroom runs hoping to make it........I highly recommend you at least try this medication. Made a world of difference for me with absolutely no side effects. YES! THIS IS A GREAT RX FOR IBS!!"

DeannaWilson99 September 19, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "After the donation of a kidney, I have been plagued with a wide variety of non-specified gastrointestinal issues. The most pressing was a severe problem with vomiting and retching, once I started I couldn't stop. My abdominal pain was off the charts, and the only thing that would work at that point was a pain shot to quiet things down. Once I started taking the Bentyl, it's really changed my life for the better."

Sam in St. Paul (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Best meds ever for IBS with diarrhea."

black Jolie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Tried for several years. Doctor kept upping how many to take each day. Got to 4 and decided it just didn't work for me."

Plantero August 1, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Helped my IBS discomfort. Minimum help in reducing "bloating" but helped in reducing colon stress. Caused blurred vision, dizziness and tiredness as side effects."

royd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This was one of the first IBS-D medicine I have taken. It worked somewhat, but it made me forget everything. And I mean EVERYTHING."

Jennyybabe May 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Absolute God Sent. This medication helped eliminate the horrible cramps and pains my stomach was experiencing. This medicine works in curing the tummy aches associated with IBS. I was skeptical at first but after a week of hell my Dr prescribed it and now about 95% of all pain and discomfort is gone. Please take this on empty stomach so you get full effects, you can eat 30-45 min later."

rayray1977 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Within 3 hours of taking this medicine I had hallucinations and state of mania. Fainted hit my head on the floor. No recollection of events for two days The side effects outweigh what this drugs fixes. I do not recommend this drug to anyone"

Horrible Medicine April 9, 2017