User Reviews for Bentyl to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Bentyl Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 76 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Bentyl

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“My gastroenterologist has prescribed several meds for my irritable bowel syndrome including mini enemas nightly for 6 weeks...pure awfulness I’ll tell you that. My symptom was horrible diarrhea and it really affected my quality of life. But since I began taking Bentyl (2 tablets, 20 mg each at bedtime) my diarrhea has completely stopped. I will therefore give it a 10 plus. Thank you for improving my quality of life!”

Jean · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“This past year started with extreme bloating then stomach pain for past few months. Underwent tests which found nothing other than an ulcer. The pain was making me very sick and I was desperate to try anything. I read reviews with this drug, but because nothing else helped, didn’t really think it would work. I started it last night and it is amazing! Felt better sometime after and when I woke up I had no stomach pain. I’ve taken it three times so far and feel so much better. Happy to finally feel relief from IBS-C! I really hope it continues to work and others can also benefit from it like I do.”

Hannah December 2, 2019

“I’ve been dealing with IBS-C and stomach pain for a few years now. At first I was just managing it with over the counter probiotics, enzymes, fiber gummies, etc. but overtime everything stopped working. I needed something stronger once my stomach cramps got so bad it lead me to throw up and have awful diarrhea. My doctor prescribed me bentyl for the stomach cramps. I take bentyl as needed anytime I feel the onset of my stomach cramps, but typically I don’t need it more than once a day. As soon as I take it, the cramping subsides and I no longer get to the point of extreme pain. But in my experience, once my stomach cramps get to their worst point, I don’t find relief with bentyl. It only works for me if I catch it in time. I often feel my heart beating faster than usual, along with some drowsiness when I take it. A much better feeling than the cramping though. Also at times I feel it makes me more constipated, so I try not to take it too often since I have IBS-C.”

Peachfuzz · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2019

“I didn't have health insurance and assumed the treatment for my stomach problems would be high, so I avoided going. After, probably 2 years of diarrhea, bloating, horrible stomach cramping, etc. on a daily basis. I finally consented to going to our local town doctor. He prescribed me Bentyl at the highest dose (20mg 4x daily) and right after the first dose, I could feel the relief. I've been taking it for a little over a year now and it is a gift from God! It has helped me so much!”

Dawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

“Absolutely fabulous! This medicine is a God send! It has gave me my life back. Helps tremendously with boating, gas, pain and anxiety!!!!!”

Val · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

“Taking for severe ulcer pain. I was prescribed Bentyl from the Emergency Room recently when I was having uncontrollable pain due to ulcers. It felt like I was being impaled through my stomach and the pain went to my ribs and back. I needed IV fluids, morphine, and a proton pump inhibitor before I felt any relief. The doctor sent me home with Omeprazole and Bentyl. Before having the Bentyl, my ulcer pain would wake me up from a deep sleep every night but now I'm sleeping thru the night. It does make me very drowsy, so I typically don't take it in the morning. I take it in the afternoon and at night. It's been a life saver, even though it's not usually prescribed for ulcers it's helped me greatly.”

CeeFlo · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

“I have Crohn's Disease and am experiencing a mild flare consisting of diarrhea, resulting in severe dehydration. (Spent a couple hours at Patient First yesterday receiving 2 bags of saline & needed more but refused the ER.) In between bouts of diarrhea, I was cramping/spasming and remembered last year during my month-long hospitalization for a severe flare, I was prescribed an antispasmodic. The attending physician looked up my chart and reminded me Bentyl was prescribed to me. I don't remember taking it very often/long last year, but for this flare, it has helped tremendously! I was able to have more solid BM's, decreased cramping/spasms, and literally no side effects. It's allowed me to sleep more without having to wake for urgent diarrhea in the middle of the night. Highly recommend at least trying this med! (10 mg, 4x/day)”

BloatedNoMore · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“I've suffered with the symptoms of IBS for years, including excess flatulence, ridiculous bloating, constant stomach pain and alternating constipation/diarrhea. I don't like to take prescription meds, so I tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, yogurt, kefir, peppermint oil, herbal supplements...all to no avail. I had developed such a severe pain in my right hand side, below the ribs, that I was starting to wonder if I had something more serious going on than just IBS. Within a few hours of taking this drug, my poor, outraged stomach and intestines probably cried with relief. The pain in my right hand side is gone. No more bloating or dreading the after-effects of meal time...no more avoiding social situations due to the IBS symptoms. My stomach has already gotten flatter and I no longer have the 5-month pregnant appearance thing going on. I've noticed some drowsiness and mild constipation, but these symptoms pale in comparison to the horrors of ongoing IBS pain.”

LEE · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

“I went to the ER one night was severely constipated an x-ray showed. Was given bentyl recommended by doctor, worst day of my LIFE. I have not been the same since. Its been 2 weeks now and and it has destroyed my life, my state of mind is off, I can not shake this mental fogginess. Reading other peoples experiences has given me hope that I will be normal again soon. Wish I can go bak to that night and never had taken it!”

wawrzekski July 13, 2019

“I have long-time IBS with two diverticulitis attacks within the last 4 months. This medication does quell my pain (10mg) within one hour of taking it. For this I would rate it at 10, however the side effects are very bad. Double blurry vision, extreme dizziness, lethargy and disorientation. Do not make any plans outside your home if you plan on taking this. I only use it when the pain and discomfort becomes extreme. So thankful my wife is a former EMT-I and a CRNA. She helps me much.”

MH · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

“Doctor prescribed this because I have had loose stools and cramping for over a month now. This is my second day and this morning had regular stool for the first time. However, I have been short pf breath, wake up several times at night short of breath and what feels like a panic attack. I think today will be my last day taking it. If you are having anxiety this drug will exasperate your symptoms.”

FifiLola · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

“I'm in awe of how fast Bentyl worked for IBS. I've been in a horrible place for the past 6 years; right after I had my gallbladder removed. I started dumping bile a few times in the morning to having full blown IBS-D with no relief in sight. Then my primary doctor recommended Bentyl. It cost me a $1 for 120 pills. Before the Bentyl I was constant pain and diarrhea with nonstop spasms. BUT now I'm starting to get my energy back, looking to getting out of the house more (you know the anxiety..where is the closest bathroom, will it zap my energy etc etc), and praying this is a long term fix. I'm already chronically ill with Wegener's granulomatosis, but this bowel situation is worse than that most of the time. If you are at the end of your rope try this. I think the benefits for me far outweigh the side effects. So far, week 1, the only side effect is it makes me nap. I'm on chemo too, so put these meds together and I really sleep.”

Niya March 25, 2019

“So I had a bad case of gastroenteritis and ended up in the ER due to bad stomach pains (LIKE REALLY BAD) vomiting, and unable to have bowel movements. The ER doc prescribed me Bentyl, and when I tell you I’m so happy to have found this forum, I am ecstatic! Not because this drug helped me but because there’s others who had the same HORRIBLE effects I had. Minutes from taking Bentyl, my mind was distorted , restless and I almost unhooked myself from the IV and walked out. I remember refusing treatment (ultrasound) which isn’t like me at all. I packed my bags and demanded to be discharged. I was a total lunatic, my mind was racing, I was very confused and I couldn’t focus. The car ride was the worst! I was hallucinating and in this weird foggy state for TWO DAYS. I thought it was tied to my viral illness but no it was from Bentyl. So when I say I’ll never take this again, I will never. I had crazy thoughts, I couldn’t sleep for two days, it was hell on earth. Never again!”

Anil · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 30, 2018

“I have spasms in stomach accompanied with pain sometimes. Even half tablet of Bentyl works like magic for me. But one can easily get addicted. Even if you have spasms due to psychological stress I have found Bentyl works.”

Faith September 14, 2018

“After my gallbladder removed and still didn't feel better, my doctor diagnosed me IBS and prescribed this medication. Within minutes felt better! This was a life saver!!!”

Ibssufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2018

“I am a very tiny 104 lb 21 year old that’s been suffering from IBS-D post cholecystectomy. Now it’s been a year since I deal with trapped wind, intestinal pain & bloating, diarrhea. It is literally my ileum & descending colon that I feel spasming horrendously; I can only imagine it feels like labor. I have a love and hate relationship with bentyl. I’m an emergency bentyl user (read the potential long term use effects). This helps at least 90% of the time. And when it kicks in, I think, “that attack wasn’t that bad”. It stops the spasming and it decreases the pain; score 10 pain during drops to a 2 60 ish minutes later. 8/10 because of side effects. Mine include blurry vision and confusion. I had to leave work one time because I was just confused, blurred vision, and having an anxiety attack. Believe me. Stay at home for the few hours or take it at night. I honestly hope I helped someone because IBS sufferers need to support each other.”

kamala1227 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2018

“I had an infection called Clostridium Difficile in 2014. Ever since then my IBS has been worse than ever. This drug is a life saver for me. It works within minutes to help calm down the stomach pains. It helps immensely with gas pains. I love this drug. I have been on it since 2016 I had to have a stool transplant and I had the worst stomach pains ever after that for months. I take it as needed but lately I have had to take it more often due to an increase in IBS symptoms again. It does make me tired and causes dry mouth but other than that no side effects.”

MOMof2 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

“I was given this drug awhile ago as a doctor felt that I was experiencing IBS along with my GERD. I never used it cause I don't really like trying new drugs. Well about a week ago I either came down with some sort of bug with horrible stomach/intestinal cramps or a bad bout of IBS. I did not have diarrhea or vomiting but just bad cramps. I was desperate and couldn't even rest so I tried one of the 10 mg pills. I have to say within 45 minutes I felt SO much better and seems peak was about 2 hrs in. Was able to sleep as cramping and pain were gone! It does make you drowsy especially when first using it. That faded on day 3 but I was able to sleep anyway if I wanted because I was finally comfortable. TRY IT! And it's great because you can just use it as needed. I never needed more than 1 dose a day to keep things at bay but am able to take it 4 times a day.”

Arleeda · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 9, 2018

“I was diagnosed with microcolitis after a colonoscopy. Up until the colonoscopy I had taken loperamide for the daily early morning diarrhea, which worked ok. After colonoscopy I developed severe abdominal pain - Left lower quadrant (LLQ) pain, especially during aerobic exercise. GI doc prescribed dicyclomine (generic of Bentyl) 20 mg 3X day--worked wonders for pain! But when I tried going without loperamide, diarrhea came back. So now I take both and things are relatively under control, although not "normal."”

AMYJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2018

“Doctor put me on Bentyl for IBS-C. Within 40 minutes the excruciating pain was gone and I was able to rest. Bentyl is a life saver!”

Linda · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2018

“It's getting to be at least once a week. Cramping just like being in labor! Running to bathroom and sometimes not making it. Never know when it will hit me..day or night. Lasts one hour to five hours. Now afraid to make any kind of plans. will it hit me?? Colonoscopy was fine.”

EMB · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2018

“I took them for a week. They did not help at all. I have severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain; worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms. I stopped taking them tonight. Ask the M.D. to prescribe another medication. The pain I feel right now, is excruciating.”

cheap but comes with a price · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 20, 2018

“I went back to this due to side effects with another medication. Bentyl is cheap and works but the side effects make me dizzy and tired. I'll keep taking it because it't the only thing that works. Must take 2-4 times a day to not have cramping but def works for cramping like nothing else.”

Arleeda · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2018

“I had had early morning diarrhea (no pain or discomfort) for about six months. MD recommended colonoscopy, which produced a diagnosis of microcolitis. I had already treated this with daily Imodium and was doing okay. After the colonoscopy I had horrible gas pains whenever I engaged in aerobic exercise and sometimes just eating would instigate them. I was given pepto-bismol 4X a day--stopped diarrhea, but not gas pains. Only heat pad or hot bath would do that. Then I was given dicyclomine and after a week the pain subsided. I still feel a knot of gas in LLQ, but it no longer hurts!”

newkidds · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2017

“Started on BENTYL about three weeks ago, the second day I was on it my IBS went away completely, I have had no IBS at all. After over twenty years of fighting IBS, I found a doctor that prescribed the right medication. ”

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)