User Reviews for Bentyl

Learn more about Bentyl.

Bentyl Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Bentyl to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"IBS-D, sometimes C... this medication is great for IBS-D. On numerous occasions I’ve been out to dinner and suddenly started experiencing the all-too-familiar cramping that always leads to terribly painful bowel spasms and the need to find a restroom, stat. I can take one Bentyl at that moment to ease the spasms, get through the rest of the dinner meeting, and make it to my home. A sort of pleasant “side effect” is that it seems that since the Bentyl stops the spasms and effectively makes me able to wait longer to use the restroom, my stool isn’t so loose when I do finally go. Also, there is so much less abdominal pain associated with a bowel movement. I would highly, highly recommend this medication! I’ve noticed no adverse effects."

Sarah0101010 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm still waiting to see if it's Celiac disease or inflammatory IBS-D. After 3 weeks of constant diarrhea, dehydration and trip to ER tons of blood work all negative & stool sampes all negative and 16lb weight loss I got in with a GI doctor. I'm waiting back for my inflammatory test & celiac disease test but in the mean time my GI doctor put me on bentyl 20mg up to 4 a times day to help with the diarrhea which is the cause of the weightloss in only 3 weeks. It's worked wonders so far haven't had any diarrhea. I've only been on it 48hrs now. The only side effect I have noticed sometimes it makes my heart race a little for an hour. I have a follow-up with my GI in 3 weeks & hoping to come off of it and be back to eating normal, he thinks I had a viral that caused inflammatory IBS-D"

Better belly (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication gave me my life back. I can not get through the day with no cramping, no bathroom runs hoping to make it........I highly recommend you at least try this medication. Made a world of difference for me with absolutely no side effects. YES! THIS IS A GREAT RX FOR IBS!!"

DeannaWilson99 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After the donation of a kidney, I have been plagued with a wide variety of non-specified gastrointestinal issues. The most pressing was a severe problem with vomiting and retching, once I started I couldn't stop. My abdominal pain was off the charts, and the only thing that would work at that point was a pain shot to quiet things down. Once I started taking the Bentyl, it's really changed my life for the better."

Sam in St. Paul (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best meds ever for IBS with diarrhea."

black Jolie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried for several years. Doctor kept upping how many to take each day. Got to 4 and decided it just didn't work for me."

Plantero August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped my IBS discomfort. Minimum help in reducing "bloating" but helped in reducing colon stress. Caused blurred vision, dizziness and tiredness as side effects."

royd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was one of the first IBS-D medicine I have taken. It worked somewhat, but it made me forget everything. And I mean EVERYTHING."

Jennyybabe May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolute God Sent. This medication helped eliminate the horrible cramps and pains my stomach was experiencing. This medicine works in curing the tummy aches associated with IBS. I was skeptical at first but after a week of hell my Dr prescribed it and now about 95% of all pain and discomfort is gone. Please take this on empty stomach so you get full effects, you can eat 30-45 min later."

rayray1977 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within 3 hours of taking this medicine I had hallucinations and state of mania. Fainted hit my head on the floor. No recollection of events for two days The side effects outweigh what this drugs fixes. I do not recommend this drug to anyone"

Horrible Medicine April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've struggled with undiagnosed IBS for years now..just a few days ago at a doctor appointment, I finally brought up the courage to talk to my doctor about my digestive issues. Sure enough, he diagnosed me with IBS. He prescribed me Bentyl, and this medicine has been a huge lifesaver. It calms my stomach down to the point, where I don't have to worry about locating a nearby bathroom in a public area. Bentyl truly has helped improve my life for the better"

Anonymous March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking bentyl for a month ..what a god send I take 10 mg two times daily. I have had no issues it stopped the cramps, stools are still irregular sometimes diarrhea I am new to IBS...going to talk to my Dr about what trigger foods cause it start"

connie22 March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been huge for me, I don't run to the restroom as often, my pain is way better, the only side effects I have are dry mouth, loss of appetite and blurry vision,"

Happymrs2016 February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took me several trips back to the ER for fluids with vitamins, to help flush this Aweful stuff out! Had BAD side effects 4 a Month!!! BAD!!! NEVER TAKE UNLESS U LUV BEING WEAK & NO ENERGY ALONG WITH MASSIVE DIAREA & NO APPITITE, & LUV DEHYDRATION"

BAD!!! DO NOT TAKE September 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This has been my savior when an IBS attack hits. I thank goodness for dicyclomine!"

DoctorMomma August 29, 2016