User Reviews for Bentyl

Learn more about Bentyl.

Bentyl Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Bentyl to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within 3 hours of taking this medicine I had hallucinations and state of mania. Fainted hit my head on the floor. No recollection of events for two days The side effects outweigh what this drugs fixes. I do not recommend this drug to anyone"

Horrible Medicine April 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've struggled with undiagnosed IBS for years now..just a few days ago at a doctor appointment, I finally brought up the courage to talk to my doctor about my digestive issues. Sure enough, he diagnosed me with IBS. He prescribed me Bentyl, and this medicine has been a huge lifesaver. It calms my stomach down to the point, where I don't have to worry about locating a nearby bathroom in a public area. Bentyl truly has helped improve my life for the better"

Anonymous March 31, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking bentyl for a month ..what a god send I take 10 mg two times daily. I have had no issues it stopped the cramps, stools are still irregular sometimes diarrhea I am new to IBS...going to talk to my Dr about what trigger foods cause it start"

connie22 March 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has been huge for me, I don't run to the restroom as often, my pain is way better, the only side effects I have are dry mouth, loss of appetite and blurry vision,"

Happymrs2016 February 27, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took me several trips back to the ER for fluids with vitamins, to help flush this Aweful stuff out! Had BAD side effects 4 a Month!!! BAD!!! NEVER TAKE UNLESS U LUV BEING WEAK & NO ENERGY ALONG WITH MASSIVE DIAREA & NO APPITITE, & LUV DEHYDRATION"

BAD!!! DO NOT TAKE September 25, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been my savior when an IBS attack hits. I thank goodness for dicyclomine!"

DoctorMomma August 29, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this for at least ten years and to this day it still gives me nausea, and dries my mouth out terribly, they wanted me to take up to 4 a day I can barely take one."

looneyL August 6, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this pill tonight for the first time, almost 3 years in pain every morning I had to wake up an hour earlier just for designated bathroom time, nearly falling sometimes in pain if I couldn't get to a bathroom. Tonight I had a rolling cramp and took it, within minutes it just stopped.. I ate a full meal and I haven't had to run to the bathroom urgency... Hopefully I can handle the simpler side effects"

Happy Belly July 28, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Crohns Disease 10 years - just started it as needed recently. Has saved me several from having to go to the ER. Slows my bowels so I don't have loose stools while traveling. Works quickly. Little to no side effects - 10mg"

Theo788255 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this without ill effect for several years, then suddenly it became a bad migraine trigger, the blurry vision became untolerable, do had to stop."

fracnes April 17, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Vivid nightmares vivid daytime hallucinations usually concerning my spouse and other women"

Janey Liggett (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am a male, 66 years old. Suffering from IBS/SIBO for 20 plus years. Check out SIBO on google. Side effects for this medicine give me extreme headaches. I have started using my old standby Peppermint Plus with no LSD affects. I also take peppermint tea with ginger powder."

King of IBS (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started with a low dose at 10 mg to avoid drowsiness. This was the only option for me after fighting IBS for over 15 years. Works on your first day right away. The only side effect is a little blury vision. I take one dose right before dinner time. The pill regulates the bowel movements like clock work. This pill also helped me with my sleep issues."

badgut February 11, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"IBS-D for about 10 yrs. bentyl is the only drug that will help for me ! Within 10 mins of taking! Every time!"

#wonderdrug (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2015

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was great for first day or so but then struck by horrible side effects. Cramps in my legs so bad I could hardly walk and literally didn't get a wink of sleep at night due to the pain and restless legs. Blurred vision and very bad nausea also. Would advise a low dose at first to see how it goes but beware of side effects."

JoePublic (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015