User Reviews for Bentyl

Learn more about Bentyl.

Bentyl Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Bentyl to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Took me several trips back to the ER for fluids with vitamins, to help flush this Aweful stuff out! Had BAD side effects 4 a Month!!! BAD!!! NEVER TAKE UNLESS U LUV BEING WEAK & NO ENERGY ALONG WITH MASSIVE DIAREA & NO APPITITE, & LUV DEHYDRATION"

BAD!!! DO NOT TAKE September 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This has been my savior when an IBS attack hits. I thank goodness for dicyclomine!"

DoctorMomma August 29, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on this for at least ten years and to this day it still gives me nausea, and dries my mouth out terribly, they wanted me to take up to 4 a day I can barely take one."

looneyL August 6, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I took this pill tonight for the first time, almost 3 years in pain every morning I had to wake up an hour earlier just for designated bathroom time, nearly falling sometimes in pain if I couldn't get to a bathroom. Tonight I had a rolling cramp and took it, within minutes it just stopped.. I ate a full meal and I haven't had to run to the bathroom urgency... Hopefully I can handle the simpler side effects"

Happy Belly July 28, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Crohns Disease 10 years - just started it as needed recently. Has saved me several from having to go to the ER. Slows my bowels so I don't have loose stools while traveling. Works quickly. Little to no side effects - 10mg"

Theo788255 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I took this without ill effect for several years, then suddenly it became a bad migraine trigger, the blurry vision became untolerable, do had to stop."

fracnes April 17, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Vivid nightmares vivid daytime hallucinations usually concerning my spouse and other women"

Janey Liggett (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I am a male, 66 years old. Suffering from IBS/SIBO for 20 plus years. Check out SIBO on google. Side effects for this medicine give me extreme headaches. I have started using my old standby Peppermint Plus with no LSD affects. I also take peppermint tea with ginger powder."

King of IBS (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Started with a low dose at 10 mg to avoid drowsiness. This was the only option for me after fighting IBS for over 15 years. Works on your first day right away. The only side effect is a little blury vision. I take one dose right before dinner time. The pill regulates the bowel movements like clock work. This pill also helped me with my sleep issues."

badgut February 11, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"IBS-D for about 10 yrs. bentyl is the only drug that will help for me ! Within 10 mins of taking! Every time!"

#wonderdrug (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2015

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Was great for first day or so but then struck by horrible side effects. Cramps in my legs so bad I could hardly walk and literally didn't get a wink of sleep at night due to the pain and restless legs. Blurred vision and very bad nausea also. Would advise a low dose at first to see how it goes but beware of side effects."

JoePublic (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have battled IBS for years, have been several doctors with no luck. About a year ago I had horrible stomach/abdominal pains and diarrhea and ended up in the E.R. the doctor gave me Bentyl and Zofran. Within half an hour the cramps disappeared and I was able to relax. When I followed up with my primary doc he put me on a normal daily dose of bentyl and it works great for me. I now only take it as needed and the only complaint I have is that it definitely blurs my vision but it keeps me functioning and works pretty quickly when needed."

Anonymous November 8, 2015

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Years I have had IBS. I hate it. So embarrassing. Bently helped so much. No more cramps. No more pain. No more running to the bathroom or missing time at work. The dry mouth is terrible but it's better than almost pooping my pants so I will put up with it."

IBS bullet. November 4, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I do take Bentyl on occasion for IBS but wondering if anyone with the Eustachian Tube problem is seeing any relief with Bentyl. My ears are driving me crazy. I did have a huge weight loss several years ago and my NET seems to think this created my ear problem. Weight gain seems to be my only option at this point but I am comfortable at my current weight. Anybody else having the echo/roaring problem???"

KatahKid October 31, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I asked my Dr. about Bentyl and she gave me a script for it. I've had chronic pain for almost 3 years, lots of testing, but no real diagnosis. Took 2 (10mg) 3x a day, didn't help, added 2 more at the end of the day and feel relief. Anyone else out there have my weird symptom of colon, intestinal pain right after a bowel movement, and lasting all day? I got fired 2.5 years ago because I was always out sick. I am very happy this medicine seems to be working. Anyone else have anything that works on intestinal pain?"

Shadows mommy September 7, 2015

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have had trouble with cramping in my stomach and having the urge to use the restroom 5 times a day sometimes diarrhea and sometimes nothing . It was getting to the point where when I would lay down at night, my stomach would start cramping. I eventually had gotten under the grips of anxiety I figured I was WAY too young to have all these complications (I am 19 yrs. old.) so I went to the doctor and told him about my anxiety, stomach cramps, etc. He prescribed me Zoloft and Ativan. They didn't help at all and I finally hit rock bottom. I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Bentyl. This drug is a miracle. I finally feel like I can live and breathe again! I don't have the worries like I had before. THANK YOU BENTYL!!!!!"

JayW218 September 4, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Great at first until you have to take as therapy for years. I have Headaches, confusion, memory loss, Mania, loss of sleep, I already have Anxiety disorders, This stuff can facilitate Glaucoma, Alzheimers. Blurrs vision from the start! Terrible no integrated health care so docs can learn to see the whole patient and avoid severe disruption of life. I'd rather nurse the severe trouble of advanced diverticular disease, IBS, Fructose malabsorbtion, Hiatus hernia type2, GERD, LPRD. I would rather not be blind and loose what is left of my mind. Terrible medication in the long run. Patients should be educated, better monitored for complications for all medical issues."

Margie1957 June 26, 2015

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Every couple of months, I get an upset stomach due to stress. I get a crampy stomach, full stomach sensation and irregular stools. Bentyl is gentle and just calms everything down. You don't really notice it working. The symptoms just fade off. I would say it is not helpful for nausea. In that case, I find that old liquid Pepto Bismol is the most effective."

Ken0808 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2015

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"IBS in south america. The little pink pill. Sertal Compuesto (Propinox clorhidrato, Clonixinato de lisina) I'm 65 and a veteran. I've had this condition for 20 years at least. When I visited Ecuador a few years ago I had an attack that put me on the floor (again). It wasn't food or the water! I'm a big boy and I know the difference. I had to return to the apartment and cry and roll around like a baby. The woman I was with went to the pharmacy and got a syringe and some Sertal Compuesto. 10 mins after the injection the IBS was gone. No pain. I stopped crying due to the pain and began crying because I was so happy. It also comes in a pink pill that takes about 30 mins to work. I had attacks every 6 months. I changed the diet lost weight etc. Nothing worked. Sertal Compuesto works. The FDA won't allow it into the USA for sales. Must be purchased elsewhere. I now live in Ecuador. I keep both pills and injection on hand."

bob2v2 May 9, 2015