User Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Also known as: A-Spas S/L, A-Spaz, Anaspaz, Colidrops, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Ed-Spaz, Gastrosed, HyoMax, HyoMax DT, HyoMax FT, HyoMax SL, HyoMax SR, Hyosol, ...show all 30 brand names

Learn more about Hyoscyamine.

Crohn's Disease 3 reviews 66 medications

Urinary Incontinence 2 reviews 49 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 49 reviews 137 medications

8.2
Summary of Hyoscyamine reviews 54 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Hyoscyamine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I started having horrible constant GI pain a few years ago. I went to various doctors, and had every test known to man 5 times over. They always told me that all test came back normal and that I was perfectly healthy, even though I was vomiting every day and went days in between meals due to feeling too sick to eat. I was 117 pounds and losing weight everyday and thought I was going to eventually die from it. I went to another GI doctor a year or so ago. He did scope and said the results look normal, but I probably have severe IBS. He started me on this med and it has helped a lot. I have gained a ton of weight and can eat regularly. I still have flare ups but this med does a good job at keeping me healthy."

Dan1212 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Radiation induced small bowel obstructions Minimizes severe pain of partial small vowel obstructions. But also prolongs the duration"

Celey April 29, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "A year and a half ago my IBS flared up and continued to worsen to the point that it totally controlled my life. I went to 2 GIs who ran all the tests on me and finally said its just IBS. They treated me for diarrhea but that wasn't really my problem. I'm constipated with non stop cramping for a few days then have several non stop hours of really awful pain and diarrhea. I tried a third GI and he finally tried hyoscyamine .375 2x day. I felt better right away and for the first time in over a year I don't feel that exhausting cramping. The only side effects I have are an extremely dry mouth and throat, sleepiness, and sleep disturbances. The dry mouth is really bad but an easy trade off because I'm back in control of my own life."

Willicat April 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been in pain for over 4 months. They finally told me to try Levsin. Not only did it not work the side effects were so horrible I got worse. Every bad side effect listed happened to me. They told me to stop taking it immediately. But have given no suggestions on what to do next."

furbee7797 March 4, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "My gastroenterologist put me on Levsin back in 1999 for cholecystitis (inflammation of the gall bladder). It was the ONLY thing that stopped the pain and it worked immediately. After having my gall bladder removed, I would still get severe pains from residual gall stones in the bile duct and IBS. My doctor had me continue taking Levsin for the intense pain, as needed and it always stopped the pain immediately. My intestinal problems have gotten more severe and I am going to ask my new GI doctor (moved to a different state) to write a prescription for Levsin since nothing else I've tried works."

Wacky Sheila (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2016

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just found out that this drug is "unapproved" by the FDA because it is "not effective". However, in my experience, it is the most effective drug I've tried for my IBS. I'm taking Linzess and use fiber supplements to regulate my system. These have helped to limit the number of attacks; however, I do still have them about twice a month. When my symptoms start, without Levsin SL I am in agony for anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours; with the Levsin SL, my symptoms come to a dead stop within five minutes of taking it. The plain (not sublingual) tablets take a little longer to work, but they are still better than suffering for over an hour. I don't understand how the FDA determined it was ineffective."

AngiS (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was prescribed this drug in sublingual tablet form to treat my horrible and frequent episodes of diarrhea (1-2 times a day). Anytime I feel that horrible pain and urge feeling, I take one of these tablets and the feeling is gone instantly. I get very sad when thinking about all of the years I missed out not having this drug, but am thankful to have it now. Only side effect i've noticed is very slight dizziness and an faster heart rate. Also, the sublingual tabs will break up into a powder if you don't keep them upright and not bouncing around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "For someone with IBS, you know the feeling when you need to have a bowel movement and once you get started, your intestines erupt in absolutely terrible pain. The worst kind of pain. The type of pain where you don't know if you're going to live to see the end of it. You grab a bucket or garbage can because you may vomit as well. Then...welcome to Hyoscyamine. This medication is a life saver. I take Bentyl on a daily basis and Hyoscyamine for more serious issues. The hyoscyamine (sublingual; dissolves under the tongue) works in 30 to 60 seconds. It removes all pain associated with cramping and spasms. It's incredible. The relief is unimaginable and a gift from God. I haven't had any bad side affects to speak of. I'm so happy this med exists."

TheScorpio (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Finding proper treatment for my severe IBS was a grueling task. This was the last medication left for my doctor to try with me, and it actually works! While it does tend to constipate me, and the side effects are a pain (dry mouth, constantly dilated eyes, photosensitivity, and decreased sweating), the benefits definitely out-perform the adverse effects. Since starting this medication I've gone from a hopelessly depressed, unemployed walking skeleton to a full time student and manager, and my flare ups have significantly subsided. In the case of a severe episode, a little medical cannabis immediately makes up for the pain and nausea that hyoscyamine can't relieve. Highly recommended."

jlest (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I struggled for almost a year trying finding out what was causing my stomach ache. I jumped from doctor to doctor and both said it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome but I couldn't believe it could cause such painful cramping. But I went to see a gastroenterologist and he confirmed it and prescribed Levsin. I was so skeptical about the prognosis and prescription but my stomach started to cramp one night and I popped in the meds for the hell of it. And the pain went away almost immediately. I'm a skeptic by nature so I thought it was just by chance that my ache went away. So I didn't pay much attention to it. The next couple times my stomach started to have an onset of cramps, I'd pop in the pill (one .125mg under the tongue) and the cramps would subside very quickly."

Binseattle January 30, 2015

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: "I have been using Levsin SL for many years for Crohns (severe spasms). It is very effective. Two years ago I started having severe spasms and leg cramps due to some unknown disease that is effecting my legs. I have constant pain in my leg muscles and long bones. I also have severe leg spasms/cramps at night. I discovered one night when having both colon and leg spasms that the Levsin SL stopped the leg muscle spasms. I discussed with my doctor and I started using at night to treat my leg spasms. The spasms are quite severe with a pain level of up to 9 out of 10. Levsin is the only medication that I have found that is effective. The half-life for me is around 2-2.5 hours."

BlueNile (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2014

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Irritable Bowel Syndrome ruined quality of my life completely. I wasted enormous amounts of money and time for different doctors and medicines, supplement and procedures! As I am a beautiful young lady it was terrible to have all these IBS related symptoms! But thank goodness after a long way of researches I found out about this medicine! I am very afraid that someday it may stop working on me (I started from Robinul first-and it did stop after a month of usage)! It does not cure IBS, it doesn't completely help with the pain sometimes, but still it is the best product available in the market nowadays!"

Unknown user 2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am much better and have fewer accidents."

CASEY2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine saved my life, thats not a joke, my cramps and spasms were so bad I almost pass out and would have bowel movements 15 times a day. Once I stopped eating spicy things and milk only once maybe every 3 months or more, I feel so much better but stress also makes big problems for my irritable bowel syndrome. Hyoscymine 0.375mg made my life so much better. I take 1 every 12 hours, just cannot find out why no insurances covers this medicine."

henrydd April 16, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Combined with a fiber supplement like Metamucil I find that Levsin really helps with the trapped gas pains I get with my irritable bowel syndrome. I get sharp stabbing pains in the upper left quadrants that will only be relieved hours later after the trapped gas finally leaves. Heating pad and having my girlfriend push on my stomach also can help, but since starting the Levsin my number of pain days is significantly down. Does cause fatigue though, and be careful with beers as it will make you even more tired."

banyai (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine has saved me from going to the ER several times. I take it immediately at the onset of an episode and mercifully the pain is gone. I do not experience any side effects and the relief is almost instant."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "A gastroenterologist prescribed this for me when I was having very severe abdominal pain from Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction and IBS. Well, it did everything but relieve the pain. It blurred my vision, made me nauseous, gave me a pounding headache, made me feel very hot, dried my mouth, made me drowzy, and slowed down my heart rate. The pain continued to worsen, and I ended up in the ER. I had several more attacks afterwards, and the Levsin didn't work then, either. I was then referred to another gastroenterologist, who prescribed me Bentyl and Doxepin. While I have had less side effects with them, they haven't touched my pain, either."

Rachel W (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Been taking 0.375 (supposed to be twice) already I changed to one a day 0.375. Guts are happy as a clam, first time in 30 years. I have been getting worse with time, had to be very careful what I ate. No onions, peppers, wheat, tomatoes, etc. Last night had 2 large scoops of spaghetti sauce on my rice noddles, guts were fine, even slept for 7 hours. Very dramatic improvement for me. It does seem to make me retain a little more water which increases blood pressure, easy to deal with."

jbc37 February 7, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for 11 years, and for almost the entire time, this was the medication I was on. It worked great at first, but then I started having to take double doses (which at least helped with nighttime problems, as it made me extremely drowsy). Eventually, it had no effect on my pain whatsoever, and I only experienced the side effects. I've switched to Librax, which has given me limited results. This medication was a life-saver for years with very fast results, but I guess it just stopped working for me."

IBS Girl (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Hyoscyamine has largely worked for me, but not all the time. Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1991. Dr started me on Levsinex (hyoscyamine) 0.375mg twice per day. I take one in the morning and one before noon. Dr also prescribed methylcellulous fiber to "train" my colon, which I've been taking once at night before bed. Psyllium fiber gives me chest pain. I stay away from fried and fatty foods, dairy, alcohol, but I do cheat a little when I'm safe at home. I have been tracking my "episodes" which seem to occur once per month, but are still wildly unpredictable. I'll go 3 times in one hour. Severe cramps, intestines sound like a pinched garden hose; a complete purge of the colon. "

Taj Mat January 14, 2014

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Crohn's Disease: "Was given in ER for cramping. Worked quick! Lasted for several hours."

Melindaan January 10, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 18, female. I seem to have drawn the short straw with this medicine. I'm very lightheaded, sensitive to light, and lethargic. On top of that, I've had headaches and dry-mouth, and I've lost my appetite. I suppose my symptoms have improved, but things are only better in the hours after taking the pill. Since I didn't have severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome, just cramping and frequent trips to the bathroom, the side effects negate the benefits. I cannot function as well as I would like. My lightheadedness has kept me from moving around much. I'll definitely be asking to have my dose lowered/the medication stopped, because I'd rather be in some pain than be on the verge of passing out whenever I stand."

MakReed (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication works great for three days, then I have what you may call a "purging" of what's probably been building up for those three days. But otherwise this medicine has allowed me to to "go" once or twice a day instead of making up to 8-10 trips a day to the bathroom. Dry mouth was easy to live with."

linmar (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2013

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have experienced Irritable Bowel Syndrome for months and years. The flare ups got so bad everything would make me sick. Bounced from one DR. to the other. Gastroenterologist. Finally I was so sick and went back to my GP he prescribed me Levsin SL. It worked like right away. No side effects. I feel great now, after so much pain and suffering. I highly recommend this medicine. Previously I could hardly leave my house. I had no energy. The IBS attacks were so severe. The problem with IBS is some Doctors think its mental. I like to mention I take Probiotics every day and NEVER cheat on my diet. It's not worth it to eat something and then suffer for days."

YIYI September 13, 2013

Hyosyne (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This is the first prescription I've taken for irritable bowel syndrome, it worked very well but I could not continue taking it because of the severe side effects. It gave me the most extreme dry mouth I've ever had and dry eyes too. I had to stop taking it because the side effects were not just a little bothersome but they were severe and intense."

Sara421 September 1, 2013