User Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Also known as: Levsin, Levbid, Hyosyne, Levsin SL, Oscimin, HyoMax, Anaspaz, Symax Duotab, Colidrops, Symax SL, Levsinex, Gastrosed, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Hyosol, Hyospaz, Ed-Spaz, HyoMax DT Symax SR HyoMax FT HyoMax SL HyoMax SR …show all brand names

Hyoscyamine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 86 ratings on Drugs.com. 78% of those users who reviewed Hyoscyamine reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome   8.1
Crohn's Disease  Off-label 9.3
Urinary Incontinence   9.3
Summary of Hyoscyamine reviews 8.2 86 reviews

Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Pat · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 21, 2020

For Crohn's Disease: “I have been on hyoscyamine 0.125 mg for a year actually for ulcerative colitis, it works very well for my cramps and spasm. My insurance do not want to cover it anymore. They finally give me the generic form witch is the same name . I took one it give me terrible pain in the left side of my head moving down the back of my ears. I stop using it can't deal with the pain it also send up my blood pressure.”

Zwags · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2020

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Unfortunately I had HORRIBLE side effects from Levsin and it only seemed to make my symptoms worse, caused me to feel nauseous, vomit bile, have diarrhea several times a day for several days on end (not sure if it was bloody or not but I don’t recall eating anything red in color), it gave me severe dry mouth and made me burning hot, wouldn’t wish that experience on my worst enemy”

Ann · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2020

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have used Levsin SL for years to stop abdominal cramping from IBS. It is always effective. I don't leave my home without it since IBS attacks are sudden and give no warming until the pain starts.”

Screw IBS · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have IBS-M (IBS-M is IBS that has mixed features of diarrhea and constipation) and have suffered for years. I recently started having such severe stomach pain that I could barely move. I would be severely constipated, bloated and unable to pass gas for weeks then I would have extreme diarrhea for a couple days and go right back to being constipated again. I also developed really bad acid reflux. I was put on amitriptyline and omeprazole it didn’t help at all. My GI doctor finally put me on hyoscyamine twice a day and 40mg of omeprazole and it has been an absolute miracle! I have no pain anymore. I’m able to have pretty regular bowel movements, no more acid reflux and I’m not bloated at all. I finally have freedom from the misery. Only side effect I noticed was a bit of dry mouth at first and it was harder to urinate for about a week but that has all gone now. I would highly recommend this med hyoscyamine for anyone suffering from IBS mixed. My heart goes out to anyone going through it. Hopefully you’ll find this and get relief.”

mhami · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I am prone to severe thigh cramps, usually at night or just after waking, that are so severe I think I'm going to pass out sometimes. I also have (had) IBS and my wonderful Gastro doc gave me Hyocyamine 0.125 sublingunal to take as needed, under the tongue of course. I read that it helps with muscle cramps, so I took one while having a particularly severe attack. Within about two minutes, the pain diminished and within another minute or so, the cramping completely stopped. I don't notice any side effects at all. It's a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned.”

Erw · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “In 2000 I was initially diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I was on one drug for 18 years and had three colonoscopies with three different GIs. About four years ago I began vomiting and diarrhea a lot during the summer. One year it was about a very other week. Just this passed year I began experiencing severe constipation too. I thought my UC was getting worse, or that I was not tolerating the heat well. Another symptom was profuse sweating. My new GI looked at my scope results and the recent history and determined that I was misdiagnosed. Instead of UC it should have been IBS. He said the vomiting and sweating was related to the vagus nerve. I quit the UC drug and began hyoscyamine sublingual. So far I have had good results. I am sometimes not sure if I should take it at the slightest hint of a stomach cramp, but I’m not taking chances. I go for a followup soon to see if the doctor’s new diagnosis is correct.”

TheScorpio · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “For someone with IBS, you know the feeling when you need to have a bowel movement and once you get started, your intestines erupt in absolutely terrible pain. The worst kind of pain. The type of pain where you don't know if you're going to live to see the end of it. You grab a bucket or garbage can because you may vomit as well. Then...welcome to Hyoscyamine. This medication is a life saver. I take Bentyl on a daily basis and Hyoscyamine for more serious issues. The hyoscyamine (sublingual; dissolves under the tongue) works in 30 to 60 seconds. It removes all pain associated with cramping and spasms. It's incredible. The relief is unimaginable and a gift from God. I haven't had any bad side affects to speak of. I'm so happy this med exists.”

CafeMom101 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 7, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have severe IBS-D and suffered through years of avoiding situations where I may have to use a restroom suddenly. My internal specialist prescribed this drug, in addition to my daily Lomotil and Omeprozole. The combination of these drugs have allowed me to live a completely normal life for the last 6 years. The drying effects - you become used to these and just need to ensure to drink plenty of water. I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would be able to live a normal life, until this medication!”

DjFarris · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2020

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “The first month I took this I had been swallowing the tablet with water like a pill. I did not know it was to be melted under the tongue, which made a huge difference in its efficacy. One week into taking it properly I have very dry mouth and my skin is very dry on my face, BUT it has helped with my chronic bile diarrhea. I am still experiencing inexplicable upper left abdominal pain. I say inexplicable because after nearly every test known to man doctors are unable to find the source of my pain at this time. I have been treating severe gastritis for several months with Pantoprazole and still am in conjunction with Levsin. I hope my symptoms continue to improve and the side effects fade.”

AngiS · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2016

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I just found out that this drug is "unapproved" by the FDA because it is "not effective". However, in my experience, it is the most effective drug I've tried for my IBS. I'm taking Linzess and use fiber supplements to regulate my system. These have helped to limit the number of attacks; however, I do still have them about twice a month. When my symptoms start, without Levsin SL I am in agony for anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours; with the Levsin SL, my symptoms come to a dead stop within five minutes of taking it. The plain (not sublingual) tablets take a little longer to work, but they are still better than suffering for over an hour. I don't understand how the FDA determined it was ineffective.”

YIYI September 13, 2013

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have experienced Irritable Bowel Syndrome for months and years. The flare ups got so bad everything would make me sick. Bounced from one DR. to the other. Gastroenterologist. Finally I was so sick and went back to my GP he prescribed me Levsin SL. It worked like right away. No side effects. I feel great now, after so much pain and suffering. I highly recommend this medicine. Previously I could hardly leave my house. I had no energy. The IBS attacks were so severe. The problem with IBS is some Doctors think its mental. I like to mention I take Probiotics every day and NEVER cheat on my diet. It's not worth it to eat something and then suffer for days.”

Willicat April 23, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “A year and a half ago my IBS flared up and continued to worsen to the point that it totally controlled my life. I went to 2 GIs who ran all the tests on me and finally said its just IBS. They treated me for diarrhea but that wasn't really my problem. I'm constipated with non stop cramping for a few days then have several non stop hours of really awful pain and diarrhea. I tried a third GI and he finally tried hyoscyamine .375 2x day. I felt better right away and for the first time in over a year I don't feel that exhausting cramping. The only side effects I have are an extremely dry mouth and throat, sleepiness, and sleep disturbances. The dry mouth is really bad but an easy trade off because I'm back in control of my own life.”

Dan1212 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 12, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started having horrible constant GI pain a few years ago. I went to various doctors, and had every test known to man 5 times over. They always told me that all test came back normal and that I was perfectly healthy, even though I was vomiting every day and went days in between meals due to feeling too sick to eat. I was 117 pounds and losing weight everyday and thought I was going to eventually die from it. I went to another GI doctor a year or so ago. He did scope and said the results look normal, but I probably have severe IBS. He started me on this med and it has helped a lot. I have gained a ton of weight and can eat regularly. I still have flare ups but this med does a good job at keeping me healthy.”

Gina · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’m a busy mom of 3 kids and have been taking this for years. Tried other meds and they never helped me as much. My GI is semi retired-in his 80s and best doc I ever had. I went to a new young doc covering for him on his day off and the guy prescribed a different medicine that didn’t help and made me miserable -very glad to get back to my regular G.I., begged him never to retire and hope they never stop making this Med because it changed my life. Not only helps my IBS symptoms-I’m actually in a better mood on it! :) It’s a low dose, dissolves under tongue. I travel with it and highly recommend for IBS.”

Dal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This hyoscyamine is literally the only medicine that has worked for me for IBS. Tried so many different things and my doctor finally put me on this. I wouldn't say my stomach discomfort/pain is completely absolved from dosing 1 or 2 tabs, but they are greatly lessened. This medicine has been very helpful for me. I would highly recommend to anyone with IBS or stomach problems.”

Its Me Buttons · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2016

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Hello, taking Levsin has been a saviour for me No it dosen't always help but it works most of the time. I have always thought was the only 1 on earth with this problem . So glad to no I'm not The pain for me is worse than childbirth, doctors don't really get it, thats cause they never had it. I get IBS/D for 3 days at a time, most recent 14 days n counting.”

banyai · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2014

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Combined with a fiber supplement like Metamucil I find that Levsin really helps with the trapped gas pains I get with my irritable bowel syndrome. I get sharp stabbing pains in the upper left quadrants that will only be relieved hours later after the trapped gas finally leaves. Heating pad and having my girlfriend push on my stomach also can help, but since starting the Levsin my number of pain days is significantly down. Does cause fatigue though, and be careful with beers as it will make you even more tired.”

jlest · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Finding proper treatment for my severe IBS was a grueling task. This was the last medication left for my doctor to try with me, and it actually works! While it does tend to constipate me, and the side effects are a pain (dry mouth, constantly dilated eyes, photosensitivity, and decreased sweating), the benefits definitely out-perform the adverse effects. Since starting this medication I've gone from a hopelessly depressed, unemployed walking skeleton to a full time student and manager, and my flare ups have significantly subsided. In the case of a severe episode, a little medical cannabis immediately makes up for the pain and nausea that hyoscyamine can't relieve. Highly recommended.”

Sasha12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “My doctor prescribed this medicine to me for my IBS-C condition and he told me to use it whenever it was needed, and not a specific schedule, well I have been taking it on and off for months, and the side effects are getting worse and worse every time I take it! I get insommia, hard to urinate, abdominal pain, bloated, gas, at night I will hallucinate!! This is really scary medicine, I stopped it immediately, and I am going to have to talk to my doctor about something else he can give me for my IBS-C because I would honestly rather deal with that then this medicine! The medicine worked really well for awhile, and the side effects started off being mild, but the longer I took it the worse the side effects got.”

Darlene · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have been really sick since September of 2019. I recently went to my regular doctor and he prescribed this medicine for what he thought might be IBS my dose was 0.125 mg every four hours, I take it every four hours which means 6 a day, It is the ONLY medicine that has helped me at all. No real side effects.If I miss the 4 hours time my stomach and intestines start cramping.”

marcus · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2018

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Make sure and drink lots and lots of water as it is easy to become dehydrated when taking Levsin. This drug makes me feel very tired, yet while it is easy to go to sleep, staying asleep for more than an hour or two is impossible. It makes me feel shaky, nervous, and just plain weird. I hate how it makes me feel.”

Eagates287 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have severe IBS and am frequently suffering from either constipation or diarrhea. The pain from either one (but especially the diarrhea) is excruciating at times and can be debilitating. After a hospitalization for dehydration due to the diarrhea and for pain management, my PCP prescribed a regular dose 1x a day as well as a sublingual PRN dose. The PRN in particular has been an absolute miracle drug. It does cause some drowsiness, but it is worth it to me to get so much pain relief so quickly. I usually feel better within just a couple of minutes of taking it. No other medication has ever helped me so much or so quickly.”

Binseattle January 30, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I struggled for almost a year trying finding out what was causing my stomach ache. I jumped from doctor to doctor and both said it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome but I couldn't believe it could cause such painful cramping. But I went to see a gastroenterologist and he confirmed it and prescribed Levsin. I was so skeptical about the prognosis and prescription but my stomach started to cramp one night and I popped in the meds for the hell of it. And the pain went away almost immediately. I'm a skeptic by nature so I thought it was just by chance that my ache went away. So I didn't pay much attention to it. The next couple times my stomach started to have an onset of cramps, I'd pop in the pill (one .125mg under the tongue) and the cramps would subside very quickly.”

Jg02141 May 19, 2013

Levsin (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've had good experience with this pill so far. I've been taking it almost a year & if I know I'm going to eat something that might trigger an attack, I take it a few minutes before I eat & 9 out of 10 times, I do fine. This is coming from someone that was scared to eat anywhere away from home because my attacks would get so bad. I went to the ER a number of times because I couldn't bare the pain. This has been a miracle pill for me.”

Unknown user 2014 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2014

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Irritable Bowel Syndrome ruined quality of my life completely. I wasted enormous amounts of money and time for different doctors and medicines, supplement and procedures! As I am a beautiful young lady it was terrible to have all these IBS related symptoms! But thank goodness after a long way of researches I found out about this medicine! I am very afraid that someday it may stop working on me (I started from Robinul first-and it did stop after a month of usage)! It does not cure IBS, it doesn't completely help with the pain sometimes, but still it is the best product available in the market nowadays!”

Fraddyfrofralis · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2012

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “If you have irritable bowel syndrome then you know how it can seem to pop up at any time. This is a sub-lingual medication. As such, it works very quickly to stop spasms in the colon. As my physician explains it: it slows down the action of the colon. Antidiarrheals will completely stop the action of the colon. You don't want to stop the action of the colon. ”

henrydd April 16, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This medicine saved my life, thats not a joke, my cramps and spasms were so bad I almost pass out and would have bowel movements 15 times a day. Once I stopped eating spicy things and milk only once maybe every 3 months or more, I feel so much better but stress also makes big problems for my irritable bowel syndrome. Hyoscymine 0.375mg made my life so much better. I take 1 every 12 hours, just cannot find out why no insurances covers this medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was prescribed this drug in sublingual tablet form to treat my horrible and frequent episodes of diarrhea (1-2 times a day). Anytime I feel that horrible pain and urge feeling, I take one of these tablets and the feeling is gone instantly. I get very sad when thinking about all of the years I missed out not having this drug, but am thankful to have it now. Only side effect i've noticed is very slight dizziness and an faster heart rate. Also, the sublingual tabs will break up into a powder if you don't keep them upright and not bouncing around.”