User Reviews for Hyoscyamine

Also known as: A-Spas S/L, A-Spaz, Anaspaz, Colidrops, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Ed-Spaz, Gastrosed, HyoMax, HyoMax DT, HyoMax FT, HyoMax SL, HyoMax SR, Hyosol, Hyospaz, Hyosyne, IB-Stat, Levbid, Levsin, Levsin SL, Levsinex, Levsinex SR, NuLev, Oscimin, Spasdel, Symax Duotab, Symax FasTab, Symax SL, Symax SR …show all brand names

Hyoscyamine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 97 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Hyoscyamine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Levsin (hyoscyamine): "Make sure and drink lots and lots of water as it is easy to become dehydrated when taking Levsin. This drug makes me feel very tired, yet while it is easy to go to sleep, staying asleep for more than an hour or two is impossible. It makes me feel shaky, nervous, and just plain weird. I hate how it makes me feel."

marcus (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

"Levsin (sublingual) works great to calm spasms associated with my IBS/D. The only downside to taking Levsin is that it makes me sleepy and it makes my mouth, nose, and eyes dry. My insurance(BCBS) doesn't cover it either, but luckily it doesn't cost much ($42 for 1 month supply (90pills)) at our local (privately owned) pharmacy."

JH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2018

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine): "I've used this drug for years. My problem is my insurance won't cover the sublingual pill. I have to have the melting medicine bc I have attacks while out and unable to take meds without water. Has anyone else experienced this? I have BCBS insurance. The cost is killing me. Some months I can't afford it,."

HeavensAngel53 February 24, 2018

"This drug is wonderful for cramping and pain associated with IBS. It doesn't do much to stop the diarrhea, at least in comparison to Immodium, but it does make it a lot more tolerable when you aren't in pain during an attack. Unfortunately it can take quite a while to work (~an hour) and does tend to make your mouth, eyes, nose, and throat VERY dry for the remainder of the day. This is cited as a mild side effect, but it's pretty bad at times."

ParksNRec89 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2018

"Taking this for intestinal spasms. It sure has cured the problem so far. The only complaint that I have is that I ache all over. I guess this might be a side effect that is not listed."

page45 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

Levsin (hyoscyamine): "My son has has taken this for IBS and it worked the first time but took 9 days to kick in so now I think it didn't really work because the 2nd episode (now) it's not working at all. He is in so much pain. He did have his appendix out 1 yr ago and NEVER had IBS before that. He had a colonoscopy 30 days ago which wss fine so I know that it's nothing medically and they did an endoscopy at the same time so nothing in his GI tract is abnormal. He is a picky eater and eat a lot of cheese, and bread so he is going to go GF and dairy free and see if that helps. He is also soy free due to allergy. He has oral allergy syndrome so He doesn't eat foods that are raw but eat applesauce, bananas, and other fruits and veggies in smoothies. I am going to talk to his surgeon to see if I could have an adhesion from the appendectomy."

Cole's mom February 9, 2018

"If I take it as soon as the mildest cramping begins, it works well. However, I may still run to the bathroom for 2 or more hours before I am completely relieved of pain and cramping. Also, you need to drink a significant amount of water throughout the day; it dries out your mouth and throat. For me, I can take half a pill and not dry up so severely."

Cat Mom (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2017

Levsin (hyoscyamine): "After surgery to remove a kidney I developed IBS mixed. I was missing so much work and school and it only got worse as I got older. After moving I saw a new digestive health Dr. He put me on this with Elavil, omg the change was almost immediate. Within a week I was so much better. I've been on them for about a year now and I still have a couple episodes once every 3 months or so but it's managed and controlled now. If I forget to refill or skip a dose, I suffer within 12 hours of the missed dose."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2017

"Reduced bloating frequency and duration. Reduced IBS-D. Side effects dry mouth, dizziness (mild), occasional thirst, feeling of fullness not bloating."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 25, 2017

"I have had irritable bowel for years and it has gotten so much worse since having on and off c diff since 2014. This drug helps a lot with stomach pain and even helps my gerd a bit. Causes major dry mouth and drowsiness but worth it!"

Kamala1227 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2017

"I have severe IBS and am frequently suffering from either constipation or diarrhea. The pain from either one (but especially the diarrhea) is excruciating at times and can be debilitating. After a hospitalization for dehydration due to the diarrhea and for pain management, my PCP prescribed a regular dose 1x a day as well as a sublingual PRN dose. The PRN in particular has been an absolute miracle drug. It does cause some drowsiness, but it is worth it to me to get so much pain relief so quickly. I usually feel better within just a couple of minutes of taking it. No other medication has ever helped me so much or so quickly."

Eagates287 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2016

Levsin (hyoscyamine): "Hello, taking Levsin has been a saviour for me No it dosen't always help but it works most of the time. I have always thought was the only 1 on earth with this problem . So glad to no I'm not The pain for me is worse than childbirth, doctors don't really get it, thats cause they never had it. I get IBS/D for 3 days at a time, most recent 14 days n counting."

Its Me Buttons (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016

"I started having horrible constant GI pain a few years ago. I went to various doctors, and had every test known to man 5 times over. They always told me that all test came back normal and that I was perfectly healthy, even though I was vomiting every day and went days in between meals due to feeling too sick to eat. I was 117 pounds and losing weight everyday and thought I was going to eventually die from it. I went to another GI doctor a year or so ago. He did scope and said the results look normal, but I probably have severe IBS. He started me on this med and it has helped a lot. I have gained a ton of weight and can eat regularly. I still have flare ups but this med does a good job at keeping me healthy."

Dan1212 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

Levsin (hyoscyamine): "Radiation induced small bowel obstructions Minimizes severe pain of partial small vowel obstructions. But also prolongs the duration"

Celey April 29, 2016

"A year and a half ago my IBS flared up and continued to worsen to the point that it totally controlled my life. I went to 2 GIs who ran all the tests on me and finally said its just IBS. They treated me for diarrhea but that wasn't really my problem. I'm constipated with non stop cramping for a few days then have several non stop hours of really awful pain and diarrhea. I tried a third GI and he finally tried hyoscyamine .375 2x day. I felt better right away and for the first time in over a year I don't feel that exhausting cramping. The only side effects I have are an extremely dry mouth and throat, sleepiness, and sleep disturbances. The dry mouth is really bad but an easy trade off because I'm back in control of my own life."

Willicat April 23, 2016

"I have been in pain for over 4 months. They finally told me to try Levsin. Not only did it not work the side effects were so horrible I got worse. Every bad side effect listed happened to me. They told me to stop taking it immediately. But have given no suggestions on what to do next."

furbee7797 March 4, 2016

"My gastroenterologist put me on Levsin back in 1999 for cholecystitis (inflammation of the gall bladder). It was the ONLY thing that stopped the pain and it worked immediately. After having my gall bladder removed, I would still get severe pains from residual gall stones in the bile duct and IBS. My doctor had me continue taking Levsin for the intense pain, as needed and it always stopped the pain immediately. My intestinal problems have gotten more severe and I am going to ask my new GI doctor (moved to a different state) to write a prescription for Levsin since nothing else I've tried works."

Wacky Sheila (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2016

Levsin SL (hyoscyamine): "I just found out that this drug is "unapproved" by the FDA because it is "not effective". However, in my experience, it is the most effective drug I've tried for my IBS. I'm taking Linzess and use fiber supplements to regulate my system. These have helped to limit the number of attacks; however, I do still have them about twice a month. When my symptoms start, without Levsin SL I am in agony for anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours; with the Levsin SL, my symptoms come to a dead stop within five minutes of taking it. The plain (not sublingual) tablets take a little longer to work, but they are still better than suffering for over an hour. I don't understand how the FDA determined it was ineffective."

AngiS (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug in sublingual tablet form to treat my horrible and frequent episodes of diarrhea (1-2 times a day). Anytime I feel that horrible pain and urge feeling, I take one of these tablets and the feeling is gone instantly. I get very sad when thinking about all of the years I missed out not having this drug, but am thankful to have it now. Only side effect i've noticed is very slight dizziness and an faster heart rate. Also, the sublingual tabs will break up into a powder if you don't keep them upright and not bouncing around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2015

"For someone with IBS, you know the feeling when you need to have a bowel movement and once you get started, your intestines erupt in absolutely terrible pain. The worst kind of pain. The type of pain where you don't know if you're going to live to see the end of it. You grab a bucket or garbage can because you may vomit as well. Then...welcome to Hyoscyamine. This medication is a life saver. I take Bentyl on a daily basis and Hyoscyamine for more serious issues. The hyoscyamine (sublingual; dissolves under the tongue) works in 30 to 60 seconds. It removes all pain associated with cramping and spasms. It's incredible. The relief is unimaginable and a gift from God. I haven't had any bad side affects to speak of. I'm so happy this med exists."

TheScorpio (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

"Finding proper treatment for my severe IBS was a grueling task. This was the last medication left for my doctor to try with me, and it actually works! While it does tend to constipate me, and the side effects are a pain (dry mouth, constantly dilated eyes, photosensitivity, and decreased sweating), the benefits definitely out-perform the adverse effects. Since starting this medication I've gone from a hopelessly depressed, unemployed walking skeleton to a full time student and manager, and my flare ups have significantly subsided. In the case of a severe episode, a little medical cannabis immediately makes up for the pain and nausea that hyoscyamine can't relieve. Highly recommended."

jlest (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

"I struggled for almost a year trying finding out what was causing my stomach ache. I jumped from doctor to doctor and both said it was Irritable Bowel Syndrome but I couldn't believe it could cause such painful cramping. But I went to see a gastroenterologist and he confirmed it and prescribed Levsin. I was so skeptical about the prognosis and prescription but my stomach started to cramp one night and I popped in the meds for the hell of it. And the pain went away almost immediately. I'm a skeptic by nature so I thought it was just by chance that my ache went away. So I didn't pay much attention to it. The next couple times my stomach started to have an onset of cramps, I'd pop in the pill (one .125mg under the tongue) and the cramps would subside very quickly."

Binseattle January 30, 2015

Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine): "Irritable Bowel Syndrome ruined quality of my life completely. I wasted enormous amounts of money and time for different doctors and medicines, supplement and procedures! As I am a beautiful young lady it was terrible to have all these IBS related symptoms! But thank goodness after a long way of researches I found out about this medicine! I am very afraid that someday it may stop working on me (I started from Robinul first-and it did stop after a month of usage)! It does not cure IBS, it doesn't completely help with the pain sometimes, but still it is the best product available in the market nowadays!"

Unknown user 2014 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

"I am much better and have fewer accidents."

CASEY2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2014

"This medicine saved my life, thats not a joke, my cramps and spasms were so bad I almost pass out and would have bowel movements 15 times a day. Once I stopped eating spicy things and milk only once maybe every 3 months or more, I feel so much better but stress also makes big problems for my irritable bowel syndrome. Hyoscymine 0.375mg made my life so much better. I take 1 every 12 hours, just cannot find out why no insurances covers this medicine."

henrydd April 16, 2014