Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 4, 2020.
Uses of Symax Duotab:
- It is used to slow the speed in the stomach and GI (gastrointestinal) tract.
- It is used to treat diarrhea.
- It is used to treat GI (gastrointestinal) ulcers.
- It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
- It is used to treat muscle spasms of the GI (gastrointestinal) tract, gallbladder system, or urinary system.
- It is used to treat a runny nose.
- It is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Symax Duotab?
- If you have an allergy to hyoscyamine or any other part of Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets).
- If you are allergic to Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets); any part of Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, bleeding problems, diarrhea, enlarged colon, glaucoma, heart problems, myasthenia gravis, slow-moving GI (gastrointestinal) tract, a swallowing tube (esophagus) that is not normal, ulcerative colitis, or trouble passing urine.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Symax Duotab?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert or have clear eyesight until you see how Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- Good mouth care, sucking hard, sugar-free candy, or chewing sugar-free gum may help with dry mouth. See a dentist often.
- If you are 65 or older, use Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Different brands of Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) to a child.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Symax Duotab) best taken?
Use Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take 30 to 60 minutes before meals.
- Do not take antacids at the same time as Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets). Ask your doctor if you have a question about how to take antacids with Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets).
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Feeling confused.
- Mood changes.
- Change in how you act.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Memory problems or loss.
- Not able to sleep.
- Change in speech.
- Change in balance.
- Change in eyesight, eye pain, or very bad eye irritation.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Not sweating during activities or in warm temperatures.
- A fast heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Not able to get or keep an erection.
What are some other side effects of Symax Duotab?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Blurred eyesight.
- Dry mouth.
- Dry eyes.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain.
- Change in taste.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Feeling full.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Symax Duotab?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine extended-release tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Symax Duotab (hyoscyamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- 4 Reviews
- Drug class: anticholinergics/antispasmodics
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.