User Reviews for Colesevelam to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Welchol

Colesevelam has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Colesevelam Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 288 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

BT · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 27, 2021

“Well it did help lower cholesterol was over 200 went to 160s and was pretty consistent. Then I read about walnuts and started eating a few everyday and within 6 months it dropped to 41. The I started getting colesevelam and since then nothing but gas, constipation, very bad acid and tired all the time. Stopped using and within a couple of days everything got better. Then started taking again and almost immediately the side effects started. I'm thinking the generic is a little different then welchol. Will discuss with doctor. Walnuts no side effects and much lower cholesterol.”

Peter · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 13, 2018

“35-year-old Caucasian male. I take Lodalis along with Repatha and Ezetimibe for high cholesterol. This is now year 3. I have severe hip pain most days but no other side effects. It is tolerable and has lowered my cholesterol substantially. Recommended if you can afford it.”

Swims with Fish · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2018

Welchol (colesevelam): “My doctor prescribed this in powder form for my cholesterol and triglycerides. I am unable to take statins due to extreme muscle pain and weakness. This has got to be the most disgusting form of medication I have ever had. It says don’t take the powder without mixing with liquid, however the medication will not completely mix with anything I have tried. It also leaves my mouth feeling like it’s turning inside out. The worst is a sensation that it is stuck in my throat. I haven’t taken it long enough to know if it is effective and may ask for the pill form.”

strega440 February 1, 2016

Welchol (colesevelam): “I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and have been dealing with IBS after eating for 14 years and thought I had to just live with it as a consequence of surgery! I have had high cholesterol for years, so my primary care physician prescribed this drug. It stopped my IBS and will lower my cholesterol, it also helps with my hypoglycemia. win,win,win.... im 57 and before using this drug I wasn't enjoying life much worried about toilets and heart disease or expecting to live a long full life. Now 3 less thing's to worry about : )”

Jack9999 September 25, 2013

Welchol (colesevelam): “Five months ago my total cholesterol was 281 (LDL was 199). I can't tolerate statins so my doctor suggested Welchol. I started eating a plant-based diet (no meat or dairy) and began going for walks in the morning. Yesterday my latest blood test showed that my total cholesterol is now 193 and my LDL is 125. That's the first time in 15 years that my cholesterol has been under 200. The diet and exercise certainly had an impact and I'm sure Welchol pushed the numbers even lower.”

NPad April 21, 2012

Welchol (colesevelam): “SEVERE Headache (Migraines) and Nausea, some hives and itching after two weeks on medication. I am allergic to Statins (severe muscle pain), and this was my last resort. Genetic High Cholesterol. Diet is my only option at this point. I am a 52 year old female, 125 lbs, 5'5". Stop taking this after two weeks on samples Doctor gave me.”

Jan 2 · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 1, 2017

Welchol (colesevelam): “Started taking Welchol in 2012. To date my LDL has dropped 30%. I recently took the time to read the insert with the medication and was appalled to see that this medication contains aspartame. This is the sugar substitute that I stopped using several years ago because of the muscle pain I was experiencing. Two weeks later the muscle pain was gone. I was also diagnosed with Stage IV Breast Cancer in April, 2015. Aspartame is suspected to be a cancer causing agent. What is this drug company thinking? Stevia is a sugar substitute that is safe and it's a natural sweetener. If a sweetener is necessary, why not use Stevia. I am weaning myself off of Welchol, and will consult with my cardiologist at my next visit.”

Anonymous July 20, 2010

Welchol (colesevelam): “Have been on Welchol Oral Suspension or Tabs for a little less than a year, my LDL-C went down about 38%. Oral Suspension is a nice option, just mix in water bottle with 3/4 filled with water, shake it and have with my dinner.”

aecmagn March 21, 2011

Welchol (colesevelam): “Too soon to tell if it is lowering cholesterol, but did want to mention it is very easy to take, but can cause abdominal bloating. I had such gas pains, didn't know how to get comfortable. Doctor suggested Miralax which did the trick with the bloating.”

SlayerRick June 21, 2013

Welchol (colesevelam): “51yr old male - High blood pressure, diabetic with bad HDL/LDL ratio (total cholesterol around 100). I do NOT eat right (but I am getting better at it). Been on the suspension for about a year now. I can tell by my energy level and overall 'feeling' when I take it - don't seem to have the highs and lows. Hate the taste and texture when mixed with plain water so a lot of days I just didn't take it. I have found that if I mix it with 8oz of water and add a shot of orange MIO that it is fine. Also, I was taking it at night (just before bed) but I was having terrible heartburn. Now taking it in the morning and no such problem... Only reason I didn't give it a 10 is ease of use.”

mariekwga June 15, 2010

Welchol (colesevelam): “I suffered severe diarrhea for many months after gall bladder removal (due to lipid "dumping"), until my doctor prescribed a similar medicine that worked great, but it was a powder which was inconvenient, so he switched me to Welchol which also worked great. The prescription was for 6 pills a day but I never needed that many unless I ate something ridiculously greasy and fatty for every meal, say, fried chicken with french fries and a shake. Otherwise, I just took 1 pill before lunch and 1 before dinner. None needed with breakfast because I just had fruit and skim milk. After about 8 years, my body adjusted to "no gall bladder" but this medicine helped me be able to keep a job and get out of the house away from the bathroom until then.”

MAPster July 28, 2015

Welchol (colesevelam): “Medicine worked initially to lower cholesterol but became less effective as time went on. Also, taking three of those "horse pills" twice a day is difficult! They are huge pills.”